Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
I was hoping someone else would fill in the details, as I've taken some time off work to study physics and I didn't mean to get distracted by this.

Science news on Phys.org
Jonathan Scott said:
I was hoping someone else would fill in the details, as I've taken some time off work to study physics and I didn't mean to get distracted by this.

Okay Johnathon , good luck with your studies.

Oh man! I don't have it yet but Malta got an award from King George. coincidence?

Likes wolram and ProfuselyQuarky
Who's turn to go? Apologies for my silence.

Likes 1oldman2 and wolram
1oldman2 said:
Oh man! I don't have it yet but Malta got an award from King George. coincidence?

No coincidence 1oldman2 , there seems to be some controversy over whether there was 3 or 4 , the 3 are certainly the most famous, but i am GLAD you are getting there.

Likes 1oldman2
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Who's turn to go? Apologies for my silence.

Johnathon has said he is busy studying so it is open, the first to put up a clue can go.

1oldman2 said:

Have you solved the riddle 1oldman2?

wolram said:
Have you solved the riddle 1oldman2?
Still puzzling over the "three soldiers" metaphor, I'm not about to give up though. Incidentally I'm learning a lot of interesting history on Malta. :thumbup:

Darn it, 1oldman2, I didn’t even know a country called Malta existed.

Likes 1oldman2
1oldman2 said:
Still puzzling over the "three soldiers" metaphor, I'm not about to give up though. Incidentally I'm learning a lot of interesting history on Malta. :thumbup:

Do you know where Doctor foster went?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Darn it, 1oldman2, I didn’t even know a country called Malta existed.
Thats the beauty of these games, we all get to learn new things while entertaining ourselves at the same time. You mentioned WW2 being interesting, I had no Idea of the part Malta played in the Mediterranean theater. Take a look when you have time, That little Island was a real "football".

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
wolram said:
I do not, however that's an interesting piece of the puzzle to add in.:thumbup: I'm still hung up on the "aircraft" aspect also, patience while I rummage the worlds search engines. Was Doctor Foster British? Speaking of doctors I will be taking my wife into an appointment shortly when I return I'll be on it again. (With the exception of watching the Falcon launch).:bow:

Likes Infinitum
Using Search engines is very confusing on this subject I had no idea how many local Dr's. were named Foster. The fact that Montana has a town named Malta has come up repeatedly also.:doh:

1oldman2 said:
I do not, however that's an interesting piece of the puzzle to add in.:thumbup: I'm still hung up on the "aircraft" aspect also, patience while I rummage the worlds search engines. Was Doctor Foster British? Speaking of doctors I will be taking my wife into an appointment shortly when I return I'll be on it again. (With the exception of watching the Falcon launch).:bow:

Doctor Foster is a rhyme, very British, i hope your wife is okay.:biggrin:

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
It sounds like that, but the spelling is different!

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
Doctor Foster is a rhyme, very British, i hope your wife is okay.
Thanks that helps, My wife has been educating me on recovery from a CVA, She is very lucky but we have a way to go yet.
So let me get this right, Dr. Foster is really longshanks on his way to Gloucestershire... hmm.

Likes wolram
1oldman2 said:
Thanks that helps, My wife has been educating me on recovery from a CVA, She is very lucky but we have a way to go yet.
So let me get this right, Dr. Foster is really longshanks on his way to Gloucestershire... hmm.

Once you have Gloucester you should have 1/2 of the soldiers name

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
Once you have Gloucester you should have 1/2 of the soldiers name
Cool :smile:, let me kick that thought around for a few. By the way did I get that right about Foster/Longshanks ? He and a relative of mine had a bit of history together.:wink:

By the way, how about that Falcon landing? :thumbup:

After the first was lost the three remaining Gladiators were named "Faith,Hope and Charity"
Gladiator.PNG
Gladiator.PNG
Gladiator.PNG
Here they can be seen flying in formation. :woot:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and wolram
You know?... If That was correct, 'ol Longshanks just might figure into my next riddle. :cool:

1oldman2 said:
After the first was lost the three remaining Gladiators were named "Faith,Hope and Charity"View attachment 98832 View attachment 98832 View attachment 98832 Here they can be seen flying in formation. :woot:

Yay well done 1oldman2 that is spot on, you are on now, do not make yours so difficult my brain hurts:biggrin:
How is your wife?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and 1oldman2
1oldman2 said:
Cool :smile:, let me kick that thought around for a few. By the way did I get that right about Foster/Longshanks ? He and a relative of mine had a bit of history together.:wink:

You did get that right, gosh your family must go back a bit:biggrin:

Likes 1oldman2
1oldman2 said:
That was amazing. It bounced a little towards the edge, which was a bit scary, then looked unstable afterwards with the barge rocking in the swell. I hope it stayed upright long enough for them to fix the legs to the deck!

Likes 1oldman2 and ProfuselyQuarky
wolram said:
Yay well done 1oldman2 that is spot on, you are on now, do not make yours so difficult my brain hurts:biggrin:
Sorry about the delay responding, I seem to have been dealing with a case of higher than "normal" entropy over the last couple of days.
wolram said:
How is your wife?
Thank you for asking, that question would be the basis for an entirely new thread. I'm learning that recovery after a CVA requires a "long term approach" so in the "one day at a time" aspect she's doing good but time will tell. :smile:

Likes Infinitum
lost at sea heading for Howland, 406 miles (not nautical) south off course.
A fragment remains of the aluminum "craft".
name the location of the fragment as well as the "craft"
(hint #1, the location goes by two names, either name will do)

Likes Pepper Mint
wolram said:
You did get that right, gosh your family must go back a bit:biggrin:
Yes, you could say the family goes back a bit. my relative was a well known "outlaw" that when "longshanks" captured ended up with his head decorating the old bridge in Londontown. :nb) (Bonus quiz, what town would a monument to the "relative" be in?)o_O

Likes Pepper Mint and wolram
Jonathan Scott said:
That was amazing. It bounced a little towards the edge, which was a bit scary, then looked unstable afterwards with the barge rocking in the swell. I hope it stayed upright long enough for them to fix the legs to the deck!
The angle of attack and velocity was incredible, I was sure it was going to prang the barge.(not to mention the crosswind and wave height issues)

Likes Pepper Mint
wolram said:
220px-Llywelyn_the_Last_at_Cardiff_City_Hall.jpg

Llywelyn ap Gruffudd at Cardiff City Hall.
I bet this is the wrong one:rolleyes:
Cardiff is in wales, the name translates to "Welshman" so your kinda' sorta' getting warm. think further north, this is just a "bonus" the riddle was post #340.

Likes Pepper Mint
1oldman2 said:
lost at sea heading for Howland...
Too obvious - got it by that point, but back at work now and too busy to think of something else.

Likes 1oldman2
1oldman2 said:
Cardiff is in wales, the name translates to "Welshman" so your kinda' sorta' getting warm. think further north, this is just a "bonus" the riddle was post #340.

Darn it i missed that riddle, i am on it now.

lost at sea heading for Howland, 406 miles (not nautical) south off course
A fragment remains of the aluminum "craft".
name the location of the fragment as well as the "craft"
(hint #1, the location goes by two names, either name will do)

1oldmans2 riddle

Likes 1oldman2
Likes wolram and 1oldman2
Pepper Mint said:
Is it about Amelia Earhart ?
Yes, but also about something that happened only a couple of years ago.

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Yes, but also about something that happened only a couple of years ago.
Obviously your familiar with the story. That was a serious navigational error wouldn't you say?

Back