Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
lisab said:
Oh he's sweet - and he sure looks relaxed and at home!

Does he ever stand up :biggrin:?

Or does he ever twist his head 360°?

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
More Ming. He's smiling at you Micro...

attachment.php?attachmentid=71800&d=1406851467.jpg

You call that a SMILE?

Borek said:
You call that a SMILE?

It's the obligatory evil laugh that all villains have to do.
He just scalped Cruella and wore it* as a fur-coat, you see.
*(the scalp)

Last edited:
Laughing a lot at the Ming conversation.

dkotschessaa said:
My wife (who is REALLY not into fantasy, but who read the Hobbit as a kid) did not know there were 3 hobbit movies. We watched the second one the other day, and when it ended abruptly she was very confused. I said "Yes, to be continued in part 3, Sweety!" "There's a part 3? Why is there a part 3?"
It could be worse. They could make it a 5 part trilogy. :biggrin:
Can you do this?
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/tra...-percent-men-can-do-exercise-are-you-one-them

I pulled pooper scooper duty early this morning and this is the first thing that I saw in the gravel drive.

15fp3jk.jpg

I flipped it into the pan of the pooper scooper and I heard a clang. I realized that it wasn't poo because poo doesn't go clang when it hits metal. I had discover a 3 inch by 2 inch natural poo shaped poo colored rock.

It even fooled my wife and my son. When I put it down behind them on the den floor and told them to turn around and see a surprise my wife screamed at our smallest dog. (poor Toby) I have no idea where it came from.:confused:

Actually this is a "current event" related to "Ukrainian mess" and sanctions, but it leads to a random thought.

So, after Russia closed its border for Polish apples (due to "phytosanitary reasons") Poles started an action "eat an apple against Putin" to help Polish apple producers.

I am not so sure about apples, but I can definitely drink more cider made in Poland, effect will be similar :wink:

ROFL, just happened somewhere else:

I'm not teenager, I'm 19 years old

edward said:
I pulled pooper scooper duty early this morning and this is the first thing that I saw in the gravel drive.

15fp3jk.jpg

... I have no idea where it came from.:confused:

Is it ferromagnetic? Maybe poo from space?

dlgoff said:
Is it ferromagnetic?
It does have a 'lump of old iron slag' look to it.

Speaking of space-poo, I'm almost willing to bet $1000 that this whole Cannae Drive thing that's been in the news recently (and recently tested by NASA) ultimately turns out to be a bunch of space-poo. Of course, deep down I hope it doesn't. I really hope it works out. It's a bet I would love to lose. But if I were a betting man: space-poo.

I'd start a new thread about it, but I'm not sure where to put it.

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
Speaking of space-poo, I'm almost willing to bet $1000 that this whole Cannae Drive thing that's been in the news recently (and recently tested by NASA) ultimately turns out to be a bunch of space-poo. Of course, deep down I hope it doesn't. I really hope it works out. It's a bet I would love to lose. But if I were a betting man: space-poo.

I read about that, too. The amount of thrust they're claiming is so tiny they have plenty of room to later claim it was a measurement error, or some such.

collinsmark said:

The question, or the poo :) ?

It's unbelievably, and uncharacteristically, humid in San Diego today. 86% humidity. The temperature is 76 F but it feels like 120. I want a refund.

dlgoff said:
Is it ferromagnetic? Maybe poo from space?

No it looks more volcanic but usually this area has really old worn smooth volcanic rock.

My eight year old grandson thinks that he see a face in it and has declared that it is from Mars.:eek:

• #1,000
Borek said:
Actually this is a "current event" related to "Ukrainian mess" and sanctions, but it leads to a random thought.

So, after Russia closed its border for Polish apples (due to "phytosanitary reasons") Poles started an action "eat an apple against Putin" to help Polish apple producers.

I am not so sure about apples, but I can definitely drink more cider made in Poland, effect will be similar :wink:

In the US, "cider" is ambiguous -- it could mean fresh unfiltered apple juice, or fermented apple juice (sometimes called "hard cider" for clarity). Is hard cider made in Poland very much? Is it popular?

(Btw, my understanding of British English is that "cider" is the fermented drink. Fresh juice is just called, "juice". How strange.)

• #1,001
edward said:
My eight year old grandson thinks that he see a face in it and has declared that it is from Mars.:eek:
Reminds me of ALH84001. :biggrin:

• #1,002
"The Story of Sinuhe" is great but I'm just tired of all the war and voilence in that story:cry: And the other problem is that I usually can't put down the book when it's interesting unless I get eye strain!

• #1,003
lisab said:
In the US, "cider" is ambiguous -- it could mean fresh unfiltered apple juice, or fermented apple juice (sometimes called "hard cider" for clarity). Is hard cider made in Poland very much? Is it popular?

Actually we drink both, but I was referring to the hard cider, not to the juice. As far as I know the hard cider was not made here before, it was sometimes imported from other parts of Europe. Hard cider made in Poland started to show in stores in the last 12 months - so it is hard to talk about its popularity yet (or rather it is easy to say it is not popular, I think it may change soon).

• #1,004
zoobyshoe said:
It's unbelievably, and uncharacteristically, humid in San Diego today. 86% humidity. The temperature is 76 F but it feels like 120. I want a refund.

Yes, so I was standing outside the pub. There was the slightest hint of precipitation. One of the regulars arrived, "Collinsmark, wattya doin' stand'n out here in this rainstorm?"

Ha! It would be funnier if it wasn't so sad. We really do need the rain.

• #1,005
It's amazing how many pictures you can take during a one week vacation - 1500...

• #1,006
Borg said:
It's amazing how many pictures you can take during a one week vacation - 1500...
I did that once, decided I would record my vacation in photos, I was so preoccupied taking photos, I didn't remember the actual vacation, or do much other than take pictures, but at least I had photos! Next time, someone else will take the pictures and I will enjoy the vacation.

• #1,007
lisab said:

(Btw, my understanding of British English is that "cider" is the fermented drink. Fresh juice is just called, "juice". How strange.)

I hate that when you buy "apple juice" in the U.S. (perhaps elsewhere?) it isn't really the juice of an apple, but some apple cider (I think) that's been watered down and has sugar added.

So if you squeeze an orange, juice comes out.
If you run a carrot through a juicer, you get juice.
If you press an apple, cider (not juice) comes out?
If you add sugar and water to apple cider it becomes juice.

If I run an apple through my juicer, do I have juice or cider? And if it's juice, what if I then add sugar and water? ahhh!

-Dave K

• #1,008
As a Brit, I don't understand why you want to waste perfectly good apple juice by drinking it before you fermented it.

But the most heavily marketed cider brands have the same defect as heavily marketed beer brands. In the UK the "real stuff" is called scrumpy, not cider. No added sugar or CO2. Just lots of alcohol, tannin, and apple debris. If you can see through a glass of it, it's not the real thing.

When I was at university, one of the student pubs that because of its location also tended to attract tourists, would only serve "real cider" to people with American accents by the wine-glass, not by the pint. Dragging the literally legless ones outside before they had finished their first pint was too much hassle.

Note: don't confuse real scrumpy with "Scrumpy Jack", which is the brand name of an undrinkable (IMO) commercial product.

Last edited:
  • #1,011
edward said:
In a pinch an old hand operated lard press will work.:-p
I'd probably just put it on display. :approve:

No. Scratch that. I like stuff to work. You got one?

$_57.JPG

• #1,012
Albert Finney > David Suchet > Peter Ustinov

• #1,013
Evo said:
I did that once, decided I would record my vacation in photos, I was so preoccupied taking photos, I didn't remember the actual vacation, or do much other than take pictures, but at least I had photos! Next time, someone else will take the pictures and I will enjoy the vacation.

My aunt is notorious for this. As per my uncle, at one point during their vacation to DisneyWorld, her two young children begged her to stop taking pictures so that they could actually go on some rides.

With that said, she's a fairly competent photographer, and later on many of her photos will be appreciated. The issue is finding a suitable balance between enjoying the moment and capturing it.

• #1,014
All this talk of apple juice, and the guy who's had an apple juice box as his avatar since he created an account here has nothing to add to the discussion. Quite a shame.

Unfortunately, my vacation in Colorado ends tomorrow. Going from interminable rolling corn fields with an altitude of barely-above-sea-level to the Rocky Mountains is quite a pleasant change.

My biggest fear in life is that I would ever become accustomed and indifferent towards something as beautiful as the Rockies. There's a phrase unthinkingly muttered when placed before something beautiful: "I could get used to this."

But to "get used" to something is to be bored of it. To take it for granted. Why would anyone want that? Isn't the great joy in seeing these natural phenomena that they're different from your daily life, that they're better than your daily life? If what you take for granted and are used to is something as beautiful as the Rockies, or Niagara Falls, or any number of breathtaking beaches, what could you possibly have to look forward to?

• #1,015
I always loved having people visit me, because I would take them to visit all of the natural wonders in my area and (for shame) see them myself for the first time! I was always amazed at what a great place I lived in!