Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
  • #1,191
HomogenousCow said:
Personally, I find that bacon goes best together with other food. Such as in burgers or in salads.
Bacon on itself is overrated in my opinion, it's a boring dish all by itself.
You eat burgers? You're a cow.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,192
*now* said:
Indeed, bacon is a bit of a boar. :wink:
Well, it seems to be hogging everyone's attention lately.

• #1,193
Dem jokes

• #1,194
Enough of that hogwash.

• #1,195
I locked my key in my workshop which I have never done before. I went in the house and was rummaging through the desk looking for the spare key. My 13 year old grandson noticed my predicament and told me he would go get my key from the workshop.

He was back in about 30 seconds with the key. When I asked him how he did that he waved his plastic junior high I.D. card at me and said: "now you know why I never ask for the workshop key anymore.":redface:

You can bet I will fix that. :eek:

• #1,196
Reminds me of the incident when I locked my keys inside the lab around 2 am and I was still in the middle of the experiment, the lab keys, the car keys, my place's key.. So embarrassing.

• #1,197
Are we being attacked by religious groups?

• #1,198
HomogenousCow said:
Are we being attacked by religious groups?

I don't know, but I have a 2 gallon sized frog in my front yard.

Likes 1 person
  • #1,199
OmCheeto said:
I don't know, but I have a 2 gallon sized frog in my front yard.

Frog worshipers will eventually show up.

• #1,200
drizzle said:
Reminds me of the incident when I locked my keys inside the lab around 2 am and I was still in the middle of the experiment, the lab keys, the car keys, my place's key.. So embarrassing.
But fun to read here! :biggrin:

• #1,201
From The Feynman Lectures on Physics; http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

Caltech and The Feynman Lectures Website are pleased to present this online edition of The Feynman Lectures on Physics. Now, anyone with internet access and a web browser can enjoy reading a high quality up-to-date copy of Feynman's legendary lectures.

However, we want to be clear that this edition is only free to read online, and this posting does not transfer any right to download all or any portion of The Feynman Lectures on Physics for any purpose. (my bolding)

Caltech, please. How will people be able to read it online if the browser is not allowed to download the contents?

http://snd1.splashpress1.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/double_facepalm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,202
DennisN said:
Caltech, please. How will people be able to read it online if the browser is not allowed to download the contents?
Not sure what you mean. I clicked on a couple chapters and was able to see the text online.

• #1,203
zoobyshoe said:
Not sure what you mean. I clicked on a couple chapters and was able to see the text online.
...which means you've just violated the Caltech rules :biggrin:. When you read online your browser downloads contents from the site.

• #1,204
DennisN said:
...which means you've just violated the Caltech rules :biggrin:. When you read online your browser downloads contents from the site.
But my browser is an entity that lives online. When I open my browser, there I am: online. If I close it, I am offline.

• #1,205
Your browser is a client residing on your computer and it downloads the content to your computer. It can't display something that it didn't download.

This is a little bit nitpicky, but I agree with DennisN - Caltech wording makes it impossible to browse the lectures without violating their rules.

• #1,206
Borek said:
Your browser is a client residing on your computer and it downloads the content to your computer. It can't display something that it didn't download.

This is a little bit nitpicky, but I agree with DennisN - Caltech wording makes it impossible to browse the lectures without violating their rules.

How about using the cloud ?

• #1,207
It's definitely Monday...

• #1,208
Borek said:

But, by this logic, no one is ever online.

• #1,209
Borg said:

Yup. The last national holiday in the UK until Christmas, and it's been raining steadily all day.

• #1,210
Borek said:
Caltech wording makes it impossible to browse the lectures without violating their rules.
Maybe you can only legally access it with Caltech's next-generation browser, which generates a holographic image of the page using their server and transmits it to the space in front of your eyes without you even needing a computer, let alone an internet connection :biggrin:

• #1,211
AlephZero said:
Yup. The last national holiday in the UK until Christmas, and it's been raining steadily all day.
Boy, I would love to have a one day holiday in rainy London. It's been an unrelentingly dry sunny summer. It's too bad we can't work out an exchange program.

• #1,212
zoobyshoe said:
But, by this logic, no one is ever online.

Define "online".

But that's the problem with their wording - they first call for "online use" as if it was different from the "download and display" model, then say "don't download and display" - while browsing teh site online means "download and display".

What they probably mean is they don't want you to make a copy on your computer. However, that opens another can of worms, as your browser caches the content, so it makes the copy even if you are not aware of that.

WWGD said:
How about using the cloud ?

No idea what you mean by that. Cloud doesn't change the way information is displayed on your computer - it is downloaded to your computer first, displayed later, it is still a server/client system, just with a slightly different roles assigned to server and client.

Besides, you can't use cloud just because you want to - whatever service is delivered as a cloud service, it has to be delivered by the content/service owner, you can't change the way Caltech server works.

Sigh, it is getting way not enough random.

5673 2346 1209 7453 9473 4676 7345 6348 9504

Likes 1 person
  • #1,213
I randomly picked Borek ...

• #1,214
I had forgotten quite how good Basil Rathbone was as Sherlock Holmes...

Last edited:
  • #1,215
Borg said:

zoobyshoe said:
Boy, I would love to have a one day holiday in rainy London. It's been an unrelentingly dry sunny summer. It's too bad we can't work out an exchange program.

AlephZero said:

Are you in line too, Borg?

Burning Man closed due to rain.

60,000 people stuck on a 1 lane highway in the middle of a desert.

I picked a good year to miss my first year, methinks.

ps. I think the weather is being delightfully random. I've had the AC running for about a month, 24/7. I didn't even have an AC unit until 3 years ago.

Likes 1 person
  • #1,216
OmCheeto said:
Are you in line too, Borg?

Burning Man closed due to rain.

60,000 people stuck on a 1 lane highway in the middle of a desert.

I picked a good year to miss my first year, methinks.

ps. I think the weather is being delightfully random. I've had the AC running for about a month, 24/7. I didn't even have an AC unit until 3 years ago.
Fortunately not - just expressing a minor annoyance this morning.

• #1,217
Enigman said:
I had forgotten quite how good Basil Rathbone was as Sherlock Holmes...
He certainly looks most like the Holmes described in the stories.

I haven't seen all his appearances as Holmes, but the ones I remember were flawed by his flattening Holmes down to a 2-dimensional cold intellect. His way of telegraphing that Holmes was more intelligent than anyone else present was to deliver his lines too fast, indicating, I suppose, that Holmes had all the answers at his fingertips already.

And of course, that actor who played his Watson was the one who rendered Watson as bumbling in most people's minds.

• #1,218
dlgoff said:
I randomly picked Borek ...
I randomly submitted ten puns to a pun contest in case one of them won.

No pun in ten did.

Likes 1 person
  • #1,219
zoobyshoe said:
I randomly submitted ten puns to a pun contest in case one of them won.

No pun in ten did.
Lol!

• #1,220
Evo said:
Lol!
Someone posted that on FaceBook yesterday. I "liked" it.

• #1,221
zoobyshoe said:
He certainly looks most like the Holmes described in the stories.

I haven't seen all his appearances as Holmes, but the ones I remember were flawed by his flattening Holmes down to a 2-dimensional cold intellect. His way of telegraphing that Holmes was more intelligent than anyone else present was to deliver his lines too fast, indicating, I suppose, that Holmes had all the answers at his fingertips already.
You could try 1954 american series' Ronald Howard for a more ascetic/philosophical Holmes, though if I recall correctly most stories of the series were non-canon.

• #1,222
I had to buy a new TV last week. The picture on the old one had started to compress. Strange margins appeared at the top and bottom of the screen and those margins got incrementally bigger as the days wore on until the picture was about an inch tall and a foot wide. It had become unclear what was going on on the screen. Not that I actually watch it much. It keeps me company while I draw or do internet. This was an old school cathode ray tube TV I had bought new about 15 years ago for 100 dollars. 13 inch.

Anyway, I got the smallest possible Walmart flatscreen for 100 dollars. 19 inch. It seems huge compared to the old one.

But here's my complaint: the sound is the worst sound I have ever heard to emerge from any electronic device purporting to reproduce sound. The latest breakthrough in tin-can-on-a-string quality, or something.

Today I went out and bought the cheapest possible, and tiny, external speakers (16 dollars), and they sound like rich, rumbly, deep, dynamic hi-tech speakers by comparison.

Also, I thought it was interesting: 15 years apart the cheapest TV is still about 100 dollars. Except now you have to buy your own speakers.

• #1,223
Enigman said:
You could try 1954 american series' Ronald Howard for a more ascetic/philosophical Holmes, though if I recall correctly most stories of the series were non-canon.
Ascetic/philosophical isn't what I think the portrayals lack. In the original stories I found Holmes was often more enthusiastic than he's portrayed to be in film. He was quickened by successes and interesting turns of events. In that mood, I imagine him as being a fascinating and charismatic person to be around. I thought Nichol Williamson had some of that quality, though he didn't look the part, and that movie was "non-canon" as you say.

• #1,225
Borg said:
So many unanswered questions that all start with WTF? :eek:

9-year-old accidentally kills shooting instructor with an Uzi.
Amazing how many Americans think giving an uzi to a child that's barely larger than the gun is normal and ok. Bullets and Burgers? Makes me ashamed to be an American. And no, let's not not start a gun control discussion.