Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
  • #1,471
When it rains we hate it. When it's drought, we want it to rain... hypocrisy? :D

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,472
nuuskur said:
When it rains we hate it. When it's drought, we want it to rain... hypocrisy? :D

Not at all. Variety is the spice of life! :)

• #1,473
Why did no one inform me that NASA had developed warp drive? :mad:

NASA's Maven was clocking more than 16,000 million kph when it hit the brakes for the so-called orbital insertion, a half-hour process.
(ref)

per wiki: The speed of light is ≈ 1,080 million kph.

hmmmm...

• #1,474
I have such a hard decision to make!

I need to decide if I'll be using loose leaf (and add it to a binder later on), or just use a good old notepad.. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

• #1,475
Binder.

• #1,476
Enigman said:
Binder.
Why?

• #1,477
giphy.gif

• #1,478
Math grad school is just like they said. I feel really stupid.

At least there's the tutoring center, which made me feel smart, answering all those pre-calc questions.

Until they started doing trig.

I feel really stupid.

• #1,479
DataGG said:
when are we getting the shoutbox?
No idea.

• #1,480
Char. Limit said:
Well, I was just asking as a joke, but a dollar for a symmetric user number... hm.

Nah, for a dollar I'd demand it be symmetric and prime.

...I wonder how many symmetric primes there are.

See

http://oeis.org/A002385

My lazy guess that there were none was easily disproved.

Likes Medicol
  • #1,481
Palindrome post count! :) (1991 presently)

[Hmm. GD posts might count in the post counts now. Hmm.]

• #1,482
I need 23 for that.

collinsmark said:

No, they still don't.

• #1,483
I am 23 :D

• #1,484
collinsmark said:
Palindrome post count! :) (1991 presently)

I have noticed that no one seems to have any post count anymore. Now we have a "message" count. I pondered that for a while and couldn't figure it out. Is the word "post" somehow politically incorrect now? When we "posted", did postmen go postal? Did they feel "dumb as a post?" I scour my conscience for whom we might have been offending. There had to have been a reason for the change. I can't see it, though.

• #1,485
Anyway, I fell asleep yesterday afternoon and dreamt a really, really huge boa constrictor was curled up behind some bushes. These cats I feed were trying to drive it away, and a second later, it's head emerged from the bushes with a cat in it's mouth. I laid down and started pounding on it's head with my fist trying to make it let go of the cat, but my arm seemed to have hardly any strength, and it's head was very tough. It went back into the bushes with the cat and I was afraid the kitty was a gonner. I tried to stand up but it turned into a paralysis dream. I couldn't get anybody parts to move. I was paralyzed on the ground with a huge snake less than three feet away. I tried so hard to call for help, and it seemed I had actually succeeded in making some noise, but no one heard me. I was sure the snake was going to come back out, swallow one of my legs and bite it off. I willed and willed myself to move. Finally, there was a kind of simultaneous realization I was dreaming and the return of my ability to move, and I woke up.

I read something somewhere that laid the cause of sleep paralysis to lack of potassium. So, when ever I get dreams like this I go get some bananas.

• #1,486
zoobyshoe said:
So, when ever I get dreams like this I go get some bananas.

Which just makes you more radioactive. TANSTAAFL

• #1,487
Ugh I made a terrible mistake. Started my code, didn't implement a progress bar (or similar).
So now I'm sitting here with a code running at least 10 hours already and no clue when it's done...

On the upside, coffee's still warm and catvideos are plenty ^_^

• #1,488
WWGD said:
Why do some people use the phrase "I could care less" to mean they don't care at all? Obviously I personally _could_ care less, or I would not be commenting on it.

Borek said:
I always thought it is "I couldn't care less"?

Evo said:
"I couldn't care less" is correct.

Stumbled across this a moment ago and remembered, "inquisitive minds want to know could care less!":
http://blog.dictionary.com/could-care-less/

Last edited:
  • #1,489
I could actually care more, but I am too hellbent on trying to act tough, so I couldn't care less!

• #1,490
My friends and I had had a very good conversation until I brought up a list of essential expenses during the coming excursion. I think they could have cared less and disagreed more. I actually can't care less about this myself but I air it up here to get any corrections from any of you. Please...

• #1,491
Medicol said:
I think they could have cared less and disagreed more.
So they actually cared more and disagreed less. (thoughtful apathy)

I actually can't care less about this myself
So you could care more. (probably improbable)

but I air it up here to get any corrections from any of you. Please...
It's all perfectly clear as mud to me!

Likes Medicol
  • #1,492
That's a more complicated logic problem :D Candidate for math weekly

• #1,493
New York exports garbage, but at a cost of $300 million/yr.

https://screen.yahoo.com/new-york-times/where-does-trash-160134215.html

• #1,494
I've been up all night, for some unknown reason, at 1am, my dog decided it would be a good idea to jump on my bed over the night stand, knocking everything on it onto the floor and landing on my face. Everything went flying, the candle, the lamp, my jewelry, meds, my full glass of iced tea. Luckily the candle was one of those flameless ones, so no fire or melted wax. He had the entire bed to jump on. No obstacles. He chose to jump over the nightstand. He's barely a foot tall at the top of his head. I have a very high bed and that is a very high stand. I can't believe he made it.

• #1,495
Evo said:
I can't believe he made it.

He wasn't sure and had to try. I can understand.

• #1,496
Time steals all.

• #1,497
Borek said:
He wasn't sure and had to try. I can understand.
I was sleeping. :L He had better not try it again. I cannot imagine what would have made him do such a thing. Wait, it's not possible, there is a large box next to the night stand, it's over 2 feet long, that dog would have had to have jumped a distance of almost five feet to get to the bed. oo) WTH? OMG, I just measured the distance, five feet 10 inches distance at a height of at least 2 feet 6 inches. Even running, I don't think he's capable. So perhaps he jumped twice from the front, the first time he must've fallen onto the stand and knocked things off, then quickly jumped up on the bed onto my face and woke me up. :confused:

• #1,498
Astronuc said:

Awesome video. :)

But, NYC has a population of ≈8,000,000 people.
By my calculations, that's only $36 per year.
I pay $25 per month over here in my left coast commie city.
If they were as inefficient as we are, the cost would be ≈$2.5 billion a year.

Wait.

What is the average an average NYC'er pays for garbage service?

hmm...

• #1,499
Why didn't anyone tell me it was Saturday?

• #1,500
Science is not done in a vacuum - err, well, maybe some of it is. :D

Likes Borg and Borek
  • #1,501
Evo said:
I've been up all night, for some unknown reason, at 1am, my dog decided it would be a good idea to jump on my bed over the night stand, knocking everything on it onto the floor and landing on my face. Everything went flying, the candle, the lamp, my jewelry, meds, my full glass of iced tea. Luckily the candle was one of those flameless ones, so no fire or melted wax. He had the entire bed to jump on. No obstacles. He chose to jump over the nightstand. He's barely a foot tall at the top of his head. I have a very high bed and that is a very high stand. I can't believe he made it.

Ooh he just wanted to make some fun! At least you have a nice story to tell now.

zoobyshoe said:
I have noticed that no one seems to have any post count anymore. Now we have a "message" count. I pondered that for a while and couldn't figure it out. Is the word "post" somehow politically incorrect now? When we "posted", did postmen go postal? Did they feel "dumb as a post?" I scour my conscience for whom we might have been offending. There had to have been a reason for the change. I can't see it, though.

Making a "post" suggests you are making an effort, which is not fitting as this is a social media site. Blurting out a "message", however, fits much better in. I say good show. Down with the old, in with the new!

Next, I suggest we limit replies to 200 characters to discourage needless TL;DR complexities.

Last edited:
  • #1,503
Astronuc said:

Some of that trash used to go to a landfill in Staten Island, the Fresh Kills (interesting to have the qualifier 'fresh' in the name of a landfill), but not anymore; apparently someone powerful asked to have it closed down.

• #1,504
  • #1,505
First time grading papers (for a calculus class). I must say it is a curious activity.

-Dave K