Is it Time to Rethink US State Names?

• Thread starter motai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    States
In summary, most Americans have a difficult time even remembering the chronological sequence of U.S. Presidents, and many don't even know who Fillmore, Arthur, or Garfield was. Also, state numbering should be restructured to be more box-like, following the role of Wyoming and Colorado. Lastly, Alaska should be ceded to Canada.
How about:

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/7651/newus39ov.gif New States:
Arkianna
Tennetucky
Ohianna
Missouwa

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Janus said:
Of course if you really want to organise the US more logically(and ignore all natural borders), you need to redraw all the borders likes thus:
http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/newus3.gif
[/URL]

A simplified version of the above into several regions can easily be defined from it...

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/9480/newus5simplified4iq.gif

One could combine Wisconsin and Michigan to Wichigan or Wisconsigan, or Wisconsin and Illinois to Willinois or Wisillnois. :biggrin:

Wyoming and Colorado = Wycolorado? Because. :biggrin: or just Wyorado.
Iowa and Missouri = Iowamo! or just Iomo :rolleyes:

Iowa + Missouri + Illinois = Iomil (sounds like infant formula or a laxative)

Colorado, Kansas or Missouri = Cokamo.

Idaho and Utah = Ida-ut or just Idut.

California + Nevada = Calivada or Calevornia.

California + Arizona = Carizona or Calizonia or Calzona! :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Lousiana + Mississippi + Alamaba = Lamisil :smile:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
...and like Hawaii is really a state... How about calling it...West Los Angeles?
Wouldn't that be wet Los Angeles?

motai said:
there is a slight problem with Alaska. It just doesn't fit in with the new logical map scheme... it should be ceded to Canada.
Don't you mean returned?

Janus said:
http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/newus3.gif
[/URL]
That's just about right, but why not just continue the UT/AZ border across to slice CA/NV instead of doing it vertically? CA doesn't need that top part now that it has the islands.

Or turning Illinois, Missouri, and Iowa into a single state; as well as Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky; Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas; and Georgia, Tennessee, and Alabama.

Ilmoia
Ohinky
Lamsar
Gatnal

:biggrin:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7476/newus69ev.gif

You could also circumsize Florida and ship the coasts to Puerto Rico.

Danger said:
You could also circumsize Florida and ship the coasts to Puerto Rico.
LMAO!

motai said:
Or turning Illinois, Missouri, and Iowa into a single state; as well as Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky; Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas; and Georgia, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Ilmoia
Ohinky
Lamsar
Gatnal
:biggrin:
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7476/newus69ev.gif
[/URL]

That was somewhat my original plan, but I thought that the states there were too big, and that maybe we would have to combine some others.

Astronuc said:
One could combine Wisconsin and Michigan to Wichigan or Wisconsigan, or Wisconsin and Illinois to Willinois or Wisillnois. :biggrin:
Wyoming and Colorado = Wycolorado? Because. :biggrin: or just Wyorado.
Iowa and Missouri = Iowamo! or just Iomo :rolleyes:
Iowa + Missouri + Illinois = Iomil (sounds like infant formula or a laxative)
Colorado, Kansas or Missouri = Cokamo.
Idaho and Utah = Ida-ut or just Idut.
California + Nevada = Calivada or Calevornia.
California + Arizona = Carizona or Calizonia or Calzona! :rolleyes: :biggrin:
Lousiana + Mississippi + Alamaba = Lamisil :smile:

Done... and did the same with other states as well.

Here is Astronuc's rendition (Similar thing done with the other states as well)...

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7219/newus74hr.gif

States of the U.S. (in this particular version):

Washidaoregon
Montanakota
Minsconsin
Calzona
Utavada
Wyorado
Kamo
Texahomansas
Iomil
Ohinky
Lamisil
Paclva
Teoridga
Missouri
West L.A.

Let's just eliminate the East- West borders completely, then we can get

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/newus4.gif

Janus said:
Let's just eliminate the East- West borders completely, then we can get
http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/newus4.gif
[/URL]

:smile: :smile: Thats great. That way each time zone will have two to three states each. Imagine the transportation network in each of the states, it'll be so screwed up :biggrin:.

Just think of the cost savings by eliminating all those state governments.

A few edits on Janus's last effort - Wanvorca to Wanavorca.

Utidaz to Utidoz or Utihoz.

Comtwy to Comonawona . . . :biggrin: (old Hawaiin joke) :rolleyes:

or Comontawyo

Danetxokks - Danesokataxes. :smile:

Wimsil or Wimisil - sounds like a Window cleaning product or a fiber product like Metamucil. :biggrin:

Mitohalflingaky :smile:

Pavcla to Pacalava or Paclava :-p :biggrin:

motai said:
:smile: :smile: Thats great. That way each time zone will have two to three states each. Imagine the transportation network in each of the states, it'll be so screwed up :biggrin:.

Which leads us to our next step: Combine these states by Time Zone (with names to match) and at the same time straighten out those meandering time zone lines.

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/newus5.gif

Janus said:
Which leads us to our next step: Combine these states by Time Zone (with names to match) and at the same time straighten out those meandering time zone lines.
http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/newus5.gif
[/URL]
I'm not sure the West L.A. works anymore. If I didn't think it was such a nice place for vacationing, I'd say just sink it.

If you guys decide not to ditch New York after all, I'd like to see New York state renamed New Yorkshire

How about just rename the whole country Scotland and be done with it :-)

motai said:
That creates yet another problem... then it wouldn't just be the "United States of America" but rather just "America." If we were to call it just America, then we'd have to include Latin America and South America as well. That, and Canada will have to join as well... something that some people in the US actually want to happen (manifests in the phrase "Canada is just an extension of the US") :bugeye:.
That and we'd have to create memorials and statues for Amerigo Vespucci, just to have it make sense :rolleyes:.
Did you know that "Amerigo" is the old Itallian version of "Henry"? Therefore we should all be living in "North Henrietta".

Moonbear said:
I'm not sure the West L.A. works anymore. If I didn't think it was such a nice place for vacationing, I'd say just sink it.

Well, if we included it in the Time Zone naming scheme it would be called Hawaii, (as that is the name of its time zone ) and we would be right back where we started!

Astronuc said:
Just think of the cost savings by eliminating all those state governments.

Those will probably be eaten up in the court battles over which of the existing state capitols will become the capital of the new combined state:rolleyes:

I'm adding this to the "classics" thread.

Well, we could fuse them all into one state named, "State," and then we'd just have to drop an s in the name of the country: United State of America. :biggrin:

Oh, let's just give Hawaii to New Zealand then. They're kind of a tiny country, and as long as they let us visit, I think we could do without it.

Hey guys, while we're at it can Canada cede Alberta to you, in exchange for Alaska of course.

Smurf said:
Hey guys, while we're at it can Canada cede Alberta to you, in exchange for Alaska of course.
Ooops, did we forget Alaska? :blushing:

So, does this mean that Canada is now part of the US? If you look at where Alaska is, to make things even, looks like we could go either way.

Alberta would make our country look funny! how dare you propose such riddiculousness!

and anyway, shouldn't you get rid of quebec? they're trying to be their own country anyway aren't they? crazy french...

Why would Canada be part of the US? You've been ceding territory to Canada this entire thread, now you want to annex all of it? :rolleyes:

wait a second... i just realized I'm british now!

Smurf said:
Why would Canada be part of the US? You've been ceding territory to Canada this entire thread, now you want to annex all of it? :rolleyes:
Like I said, it could go either way, but we'd want something in return for Alaska.

Sorry Gale, you were placed under British rule yesterday.

Evo said:
[...] but we'd want something in return for Alaska.
Yeah! We want a years supply of Canadian Bacon!

mattmns said:
Yeah! We want a years supply of Canadian Bacon!
Ooooh, yeah! Do they make anything else we want?

Moose sweaters! I want moose sweaters!

:smile: I thought we already gave Alaska to Canada yesterday.

While we're at it, we really should adjust those state lines to align with the borders of the Canadian territories, just to make the continent a bit tidier. I mean, we can't go to all this effort to clean up our states and then have the neighborhood still look a mess due to one sloppy neighbor. :biggrin:

Gale said:
wait a second... i just realized I'm british now!

Mwahaha, yes, yes you are! You have much to learn. A few basics to start you off:

-New York state is now New Yorkshire.
-You will admit that the Brits having bad teeth myth is not true, else mutilate your own accordingly.
-You will drink tea and you will enjoy it.
-Your military will obey us. We invade Easterny at dawn.

Moonbear said:

Simple solution: Simply remove its statehood and revert it to the same status as Puerto Rico and The Virgin Islands. That way we keep the vacation spot and also solve the problem of such a small populace having 1/5 of the votes in the Senate.

So, what does this mean for my citizenship status? I was born in New Jersey (now British territory), but currently live in Easterny. :eek:

mmm yes, a spot of tea and crumpets, and um, pish posh... and 'ello gov'nah... top o' tha mornin' to you luv...
eh?

i'm a good brit! woohoo!

Evo said:
Like I said, it could go either way, but we'd want something in return for Alaska.
Yes, ALBERTA! TAKE ALBERTA!

Smurf said:
Yes, ALBERTA! TAKE ALBERTA!

The only way that we'll take Alberta is if we can shift it down to fill in that ugly gap made by giving up New Mexico!