Is Net Neutrality Really Necessary?

• News
  • Thread starter CAC1001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Net
In summary, an article discusses the FCC's plans to expand regulations over the Internet in the name of protecting Internet freedom. Some argue that regulation is necessary to prevent broadband providers from limiting access, while others believe it may do more harm than good. The debate over Net Neutrality has been ongoing since 2003, with some pointing out that the internet remains free and open without regulation. Supporters of Net Neutrality tend to be more left-leaning and progressive, while opponents argue that existing laws are sufficient to protect consumers. The FCC's decision to regulate the internet has sparked concerns about potential limitations and control over content and access. However, others believe that the decentralized nature of the internet makes it difficult to regulate and control.
pantaz said:
Do you believe that it is currently illegal to do so?
No, but now there is a law protecting their right to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
No, but now there is a law protecting their right to do it.

I haven't seen the text of the rules, but my impression was that it simply doesn't cover wireless. Did they actually include something stating that this is specifically allowed on wireless networks?

NeoDevin said:
I haven't seen the text of the rules, but my impression was that it simply doesn't cover wireless. Did they actually include something stating that this is specifically allowed on wireless networks?
Yes, I posted it above.

The new rules:

Wireless providers would be allowed to block other applications, however, that they say could take up too much bandwidth on wireless networks.
So anything you wish to download or view on a wireless device can now be legally blocked.

That is per Greg's link http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703581204576033513990668654.html

Evo said:
Yes, I posted it above.

Thanks, I missed that post somehow. The text before that reads:

Companies that operate mobile wireless networks would have fewer rules to contend with. Phone companies wouldn't be able to block legal websites from consumers. They also can't block mobile voice or video-conferencing applications. Wireless providers would be allowed to block other applications, however, that they say could take up too much bandwidth on wireless networks.

To me that reads like it could be that the rules don't address blocking other applications, rather than that they specifically state that it's ok.

What the new Net Neutrality law means.

Wireless broadband providers, meanwhile, will have the ability to block access to content and services as they see fit as long as they do not offer a competing service. Wireless carriers could, for example, block YouTube if the carrier did not offer a similar video sharing site.

No Torrents For You

Fixed-line broadband providers will not be allowed to discriminate against any lawful Web services you want to use. Did you see that little disclaimer in there? That's right "lawful" Web services, meaning that torrent indexing sites, such as The Pirate Bay, and other sites considered shady could soon disappear from your Web browser.

It will also be interesting to see how the reported FCC rules affect peer to peer torrent sharing programs such as Vuze

Netflix Tax

If you're one of those more than 16 million people -- in the US anyway--you could end up paying a higher broadband bill every month after the Net neutrality rules take effect. Under the new rules, broadband providers would be allowed to enact tiered pricing plans based on how much broadband data you consume every month. The all-you-can-eat data buffet may be over.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/122110-fcc-net-neutrality-rules-what.html?hpg1=bn

Last edited by a moderator:
Under the new rules, broadband providers would be allowed to enact tiered pricing plans based on how much broadband data you consume every month. The all-you-can-eat data buffet may be over.

Sorry, didn't they do that already? I didn't know they were previously required to give everyone unlimited bandwidth.

So far in this thread, everything you've complained about existed before these rules.

NeoDevin said:
Sorry, didn't they do that already? I didn't know they were previously required to give everyone unlimited bandwidth.

So far in this thread, everything you've complained about existed before these rules.
AT&T had removed their unlimited data plan, my provider had not.

If you read back to my first post, Net Neutrality was stupid and unnecessary. But what was only being "tested" by some providers to see how consumers would react is now law.

Evo said:
If you read back to my first post, Net Neutrality was stupid and unnecessary. But what was only being "tested" by some providers to see how consumers would react is now law.

The law doesn't say that they must stop offering unlimited bandwidth packages, only that they can, which they could already do.

NeoDevin said:
The law doesn't say that they must stop offering unlimited bandwidth packages, only that they can, which they could already do.
So, are you agreeing with me that the Net Neutrality law was unnecessary?

Interesting email I just received from Al Frankin.

Al Franken - U.S. Senator, Minnesota

If you saw my op-ed in the Huffington Post yesterday, you know how concerned I was about today's FCC meeting on net neutrality (and, by the way, would you mind sharing it on Twitter and Facebook?).
Chairman Genachowski's draft Order was worse than nothing--and we needed to make sure the FCC didn't approve it today.
Well, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that, thanks to Commissioners Copps and Clyburn--not to mention a nationwide network of net neutrality activists like you--the proposal approved today is better than the original. For instance, the FCC has now stated that it does not condone discriminatory behavior by wireless companies like Verizon and AT&T--an important piece that was missing from the first draft. We made a difference.
The bad news is that, while it's no longer worse than nothing, the Order approved today is not nearly strong enough to protect consumers or preserve the free and open Internet. And with so much at stake, I cannot support it.
I'm still very concerned that it includes almost nothing to protect net neutrality for mobile broadband service--often the only choice for broadband if you live in rural or otherwise underserved areas. And I'm particularly disappointed that the FCC isn't specifically banning paid prioritization--the creation of an Internet "fast lane" for corporations that can afford to pay for it.
But here's the important thing to remember: This fight's not over. The FCC must vigorously enforce these new regulations--and it must follow through on addressing wireless discrimination going forward.
So what now? First, we need to work together to make sure the FCC keeps the promises it made today--just as our movement was instrumental in improving these regulations from the first draft, we'll be critical in ensuring that the regulations are enforced vigorously.
And I'm going to keep working with net neutrality advocates to see if there are legislative or administrative steps that can be taken to strengthen these protections.
But, for today, know that the work we're doing to save the Internet is making a difference. Today, the FCC took a small step forward--too small by my estimation, but forward nonetheless.
Thanks for your support,
Al
Al

Greg Bernhardt said:
I posted his Huffington post article here already.

I think this was rushed through without enough input from consumers. I'll be interested to see what needs to be done going forward to prevent the things I've mentioned above from becoming law.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Al is a smart man with a good staff... his point about mobile devices is unassailable, and my arguments about circumvention become moot.

I really believe Evo is right about this being rushed to the detriment of the bill, but to the point where I think it has no chance to survive as law.

Evo said:
So, are you agreeing with me that the Net Neutrality law was unnecessary?

No. The parts allowing companies to charge more for more bandwidth (if such things are actually mentioned in the rules, and not just commentary added by the news organizations) are redundant and unnecessary. Companies will still be able to offer unlimited bandwidth contracts if they choose, or offer finite bandwidth packages. This part hasn't changed.

The parts preventing them from charging more for some types of data than others were necessary. This prevents ISPs run by cable companies from using a (near) monopoly to shelter their cable services (or any other such conflict of interest). I only wish they could have covered all mobile bandwidth with the same rules (that you pay for bandwidth, irrespective of what you choose to use that bandwidth for).

NeoDevin said:
No. The parts allowing companies to charge more for more bandwidth (if such things are actually mentioned in the rules, and not just commentary added by the news organizations) are redundant and unnecessary. Companies will still be able to offer unlimited bandwidth contracts if they choose, or offer finite bandwidth packages. This part hasn't changed.

The parts preventing them from charging more for some types of data than others were necessary. This prevents ISPs run by cable companies from using a (near) monopoly to shelter their cable services (or any other such conflict of interest). I only wish they could have covered all mobile bandwidth with the same rules (that you pay for bandwidth, irrespective of what you choose to use that bandwidth for).
Go read Greg's post.

Evo said:
What the new Net Neutrality law means.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/122110-fcc-net-neutrality-rules-what.html?hpg1=bn

i think providers are already offering metered plans, they just don't refer to it as such and say that this plan that offers more is faster than the other. but yeah, metering on total bytes consumed has nothing to do with what the term "net neutrality" means. metering based on the source of the bytes would violate net neutrality, tho.

regulation is inevitable, tho. what normally happens is that they take a hands-off approach during the developmental phase of a technology, and then when it matures, the new technology becomes a utility. FCC seems to be nearing the conclusion that terrestrial broadband is a utility now. wireless broadband obviously is not.

NeoDevin said:
No. The "scare" is that ISPs like Comcast would charge more or block access to things like video streaming services or P2P networks simply because they compete with their cable TV offerings.

Net neutrality is not about preventing charging more for increased bandwidth (either instantaneous bandwidth or total data uploads/downloads) but about preventing them for charging different amounts for different content using the same bandwidth. If they want to charge $400/GB, that's their prerogative. (Or maybe not, is the pricing of bandwidth regulated in the US? Either way, that's not what net neutrality is about.) What net neutrality seeks to prevent is them being able to charge $400/GB for video streaming and $40/GB for Physics Forums.

Net neutrality says that if you want to be an ISP, you sell bandwidth, you don't get to dictate what your users can use that bandwidth for.

ALSO POST number 83 NeoDevin:
"No. The parts allowing companies to charge more for more bandwidth (if such things are actually mentioned in the rules, and not just commentary added by the news organizations) are redundant and unnecessary. Companies will still be able to offer unlimited bandwidth contracts if they choose, or offer finite bandwidth packages. This part hasn't changed.

The parts preventing them from charging more for some types of data than others were necessary. This prevents ISPs run by cable companies from using a (near) monopoly to shelter their cable services (or any other such conflict of interest). I only wish they could have covered all mobile bandwidth with the same rules (that you pay for bandwidth, irrespective of what you choose to use that bandwidth for). "

If we can focus on the NetFlix and Comcast scenario for a fairness check. I'm not an expert in this area. I'm going to post my understanding and will defer to the experts to clarify anything I mis-communicate.

Comcast has invested significantly to run cables and develop their networks. Comcast has sold their cable services to millions of subscribers. Comcast pays for cable content and re-sells to clients. Comcast also provides internet access in a bundled package (as well as phone).

NetFlix purchases content and re-sells (actually rents) to either subscribers or renters. NetFlix is available via US Mail or as a download. NetFlix (or client) pays the US Mail to deliver content. NetFlix does not pay Comcast to deliver content - but clients do pay Comcast for internet access.

Comcast and NetFlix are in competition for movie rentals. They may or may not offer the same content.

The new regulations will require Comcast to provide NetFlix equal delivery capabilities - at no cost to NetFlix.

If my understanding is correct, I don't believe this is fair to Comcast. NetFlix has a delivery option via US Mail (that isn't required to offer a discount to them). If the same Comcast clients (on the cable side) want a TV channel that Comcast doesn't offer - they do without.

Ultimately, the movie studios (manufacturer) might be the winners in the future. It sounds as though all they need to do is sell movie subscriptions directly to (retail) internet subscribers - cut the cable (wholesaler) provider out completely?

Last edited:
WhoWee said:
"No. The parts allowing companies to charge more for more bandwidth (if such things are actually mentioned in the rules, and not just commentary added by the news organizations) are redundant and unnecessary. Companies will still be able to offer unlimited bandwidth contracts if they choose, or offer finite bandwidth packages. This part hasn't changed.

The parts preventing them from charging more for some types of data than others were necessary. This prevents ISPs run by cable companies from using a (near) monopoly to shelter their cable services (or any other such conflict of interest). I only wish they could have covered all mobile bandwidth with the same rules (that you pay for bandwidth, irrespective of what you choose to use that bandwidth for). "

If we can focus on the NetFlix and Comcast scenario for a fairness check. I'm not an expert in this area. I'm going to post my understanding and will defer to the experts to clarify anything I mis-communicate.

Comcast has invested significantly to run cables and develop their networks. Comcast has sold their cable services to millions of subscribers. Comcast pays for cable content and re-sells to clients. Comcast also provides internet access in a bundled package (as well as phone).

NetFlix purchases content and re-sells (actually rents) to either subscribers or renters. NetFlix is available via US Mail or as a download. NetFlix (or client) pays the US Mail to deliver content. NetFlix does not pay Comcast to deliver content - but clients do pay Comcast for internet access.

Comcast and NetFlix are in competition for movie rentals. They may or may not offer the same content.

The new regulations will require Comcast to provide NetFlix equal delivery capabilities - at no cost to NetFlix.

If my understanding is correct, I don't believe this is fair to Comcast. NetFlix has a delivery option via US Mail (that isn't required to offer a discount to them). If the same Comcast clients (on the cable side) want a TV channel that Comcast doesn't offer - they do without.

Ultimately, the movie studios (manufacturer) might be the winners in the future. It sounds as though all they need to do is sell movie subscriptions directly to (retail) internet subscribers - cut the cable (wholesaler) provider out completely?

Comcast doesn't own the fiber, they just live there.

nismaratwork said:
Comcast doesn't own the fiber, they just live there.

If Comcast doesn't own the cable - do they lease it?

WhoWee said:
If Comcast doesn't own the cable - do they lease it?

Yes indeed, that's what I meant by "live there"... sorry, I wasn't really clear. The government flat-out owns major trunk lines, but I shouldn't make it sound as though Comcast hasn't invested in infrastructure. They do maintain switching station and subnets, and non-municipal cable/fiber, but that can be done by other companies leasing the lines.

Really, what Comcast and others lease is bandwidth that can manage a given throughput (how much data can move... aka speed), and then they have to make the effort to keep all of that straight.

nismaratwork said:
Yes indeed, that's what I meant by "live there"... sorry, I wasn't really clear. The government flat-out owns major trunk lines, but I shouldn't make it sound as though Comcast hasn't invested in infrastructure. They do maintain switching station and subnets, and non-municipal cable/fiber, but that can be done by other companies leasing the lines.

Really, what Comcast and others lease is bandwidth that can manage a given throughput (how much data can move... aka speed), and then they have to make the effort to keep all of that straight.

If they lease bandwidth from the Government - that lease should be the starting point of all discussions. Next, it sounds as though Comcast does own everything from the trunk line to their customer's (tv, computer, or phone) equipment.

I don't see how the FCC can force them to provide equal access to a competitor without compensation (from the competitor) - or a lower rate on their lease payment on the trunk line - to accommodate mandates.

WhoWee said:
I don't see how the FCC can force them to provide equal access to a competitor without compensation (from the competitor) - or a lower rate on their lease payment on the trunk line - to accommodate mandates.
They are being compensated - you are buying bandwidth from them.

Suppose there was only one oil refinery producing gasoline for your area (which there probably is for most of the US) and they sign a promotion deal with GM so that the gas costs twice as much for a Ford driver.
Well it's a free country - a competitor can always build their own refinery and gas stations and supply Ford and GM drivers equally

WhoWee said:
If they lease bandwidth from the Government - that lease should be the starting point of all discussions. Next, it sounds as though Comcast does own everything from the trunk line to their customer's (tv, computer, or phone) equipment.

It's very tricky, but you're picking up the essentials rapidly. A few corrections:

Comcast owns a very small amount of cable leading from the point where they establish a local network, but even then because of older rulings others can carry on the some portions of the same lines. Think of it this way, if I switch from Comcast to Time Warner, nothing physical changes from the point where coaxial cable leaves my wall, out of my home or building... etc. The government has been very careful from the beginning to make sure that they'd have similar controls over cabled (and now fiber) communications that they did over broadcast and radio. They already had the phone system as a template, and that's probably the best analogy.

Now, the thing is Comcast DOES limit how much you can download per month: 250 Gigabytes, which they claim covers over 99% of their customers. I would argue that 250GB is going to be less than enough with Netflix and similar services through gaming consoles and other devices, and the rapid growth of digital distribution of legal goods such as games.

Anyway, my point is that Comcast can protect their profits by not allowing me to (as they see it) overuse their service and force them to narrow their profit margin. They can't however, tell me how to allocate that 250GB beyond the obvious: it must be legal use. The issue here is that Comcast (again, just an example) shouldn't be allowed to tell you who you can spend your time with.

MY point is that technically, it's absurd trying to block traffic on the scale Comcast proposes without expecting the rapid use and evolution of countermeasures. They can throttle you down to 1 GB per year, and you can opt out, but they can't tell you not to download 1GB of Swiss Mountain Porn. :smile:

NobodySpecial has the point down: a competitor can come in and simply offer the same service on the SAME LINES, but in the 'old' model, just the way that AOL was crushed.

NobodySpecial said:
They are being compensated - you are buying bandwidth from them.

Suppose there was only one oil refinery producing gasoline for your area (which there probably is for most of the US) and they sign a promotion deal with GM so that the gas costs twice as much for a Ford driver.
Well it's a free country - a competitor can always build their own refinery and gas stations and supply Ford and GM drivers equally

Please clarify your (they and you) designations. It's my understanding Comcast leases bandwidth on the trunk line - does NetFlix also lease space on the trunk line?

WhoWee said:
Please clarify your (they and you) designations. It's my understanding Comcast leases bandwidth on the trunk line - does NetFlix also lease space on the trunk line?

HERE you come to the crux of the issue:

Netflix buys bandwidth too, like an ISP, but it only needs to extend for a short 'distance' before it becomes traffic on some ISP somewhere. So, for Netflix the primary challenge for streaming video is actually keeping their servers smoothly humming and their network clean and clear, all while refining the art of when to allocate the most bandwidth (it's pricey).

An ISP carries, as it's essential service, all content from OUT THERE, through their network TO YOU. They don't have to constantly run or hold Netflix's catalogue, but anytime A makes a call for that resource at B, the ISP's JOB is to carry it at their advertised speed to you. To keep their service fast they can:

1.) Buy more bandwidth
-increase monthly prices
or
-lower profit margins (by no means losing profitability)
2.) Throttle how much throughput you're allowed per month
-Comcast does 250GB/month, but not parsing what makes that 250.
3.) Throttle specific traffic (packet shaping is an example) from sites that are using a disproportionate amount of your bandwidth.
-Problem A: Netflix, MS Live, iTunes and TV... etc... are all LEGAL.
-It's easy to get around this if your target is illegal activity.
-Illegal activity is being eclipsed by the massive amount of money being found in digital distribution
PROBLEM: Netflix wants there to be as little additional cost to you as possible to get their service. For them, and others in digital distribution the calculation is simple:

Users Reached = Profit.

For the ISP it's: User's Paying + (250GB - X) = Profit (where X = how much the enduser consumes of that 250GB).

See the conflict? The ISP doesn't get any more money because you spend your pre-paid month of their service looking at HD video on Hulu, but Hulu is thrilled at this development.

So, if the ISPs want to go to war over this, they'll be fighting the people who use their service on the supply side as well.

WhoWee: You're asking all of the right question btw.

nismaratwork said:
Now, the thing is Comcast DOES limit how much you can download per month: 250 Gigabytes, which they claim covers over 99% of their customers. I would argue that 250GB is going to be less than enough with Netflix and similar services through gaming consoles and other devices, and the rapid growth of digital distribution of legal goods such as games.

Anyway, my point is that Comcast can protect their profits by not allowing me to (as they see it) overuse their service and force them to narrow their profit margin. They can't however, tell me how to allocate that 250GB beyond the obvious: it must be legal use. The issue here is that Comcast (again, just an example) shouldn't be allowed to tell you who you can spend your time with.

QUOTE]
It seems the best thing Comcast and others can do is modify their current agreements with cost schedules above the 250GB level. Next, they could inform clients of their on-going/cumulative level of use - much the way a cell phone provider discloses minutes used or available (until the cost increases). Perhaps each time a client attempts to download a movie, the ISP can inform them of the impact of their decision on the specific account? This would prevent customers from incurring additional costs - unless that is their intention.

WhoWee said:

The US mail and Comcast have different delivery models. The US mail charges delivery to the sender (who tacks it onto the price that the receiver pays). Comcast has already charged the receiver for the bandwidth. They are trying to charge the sender for the same bandwidth, in order to protect their other business interests.

Imagine what the outcry would be if the US mail decided to start charging both the sender and the receiver. Take it even further, and suggest that the US mail does this, but only for mail sent by political parties in opposition to the one currently in power (US mail is government run, right? Canada Post is, at any rate).

Comcast essentially wants to be able to charge the consumer twice for the same bandwidth. Once directly, on their monthly bill, and once indirectly, as a charge to Netflix, which must then pass it on to the consumer. Comcast is able to do this because they have a near monopoly in place in many regions. In the long run this monopoly would (might) be broken by other ISPs moving in offering more reasonable service, but not before Comcast is able to put most other streaming video services out of business with their monopoly. This happens on a much faster scale than the increased competition (due to the time needed to build infrastructure). Once most of the streaming video services are out of business, Comcast can drop the differential pricing, and remain competitive with other ISPs.

Ultimately, the movie studios (manufacturer) might be the winners in the future. It sounds as though all they need to do is sell movie subscriptions directly to (retail) internet subscribers
They are afraid this will not make them as much money (actually as individual executives they are afraid of any change)
At the moment they can sell packages - if a cinema chain wants the new Harry Potter it also has to take a couple of Rob Schneider movies that nobody wants. Similarly with cable packages - to get the movie/sports package you want you have to buy a bunch of base packages you don't want.

The companies have done their sums and realized that if they want to swap your $100-120 month cable package for direct rentals, you are either going to have to watch a lot of 99c/episode downloads on iTunes or they are going to have to charge you cinema-level prices for pay-per-view movies.

cut the cable (wholesaler) provider out completely?
The trouble is when the cable company is also an ISP and a studio - like Fox.

WhoWee said:
nismaratwork said:

QUOTE]
It seems the best thing Comcast and others can do is modify their current agreements with cost schedules above the 250GB level. Next, they could inform clients of their on-going/cumulative level of use - much the way a cell phone provider discloses minutes used or available (until the cost increases). Perhaps each time a client attempts to download a movie, the ISP can inform them of the impact of their decision on the specific account? This would prevent customers from incurring additional costs - unless that is their intention.

The way it stands now Comcast has a monitor that customers can use, and the first time you go over the limit you're given a warning. Now, I'm not sure if a warning means an e-mail, or a call... you get the idea. Anyway, the second offense = suspension of your account for a YEAR.

A little ham-handed. There are plans above this at the home-owner level, and business solutions are extremely expensive. There is no intent to keep a high-use customer however... as you can see from their plan, it's effective for them to cut that growing minority loose.

nismaratwork said:
WhoWee said:
The way it stands now Comcast has a monitor that customers can use, and the first time you go over the limit you're given a warning. Now, I'm not sure if a warning means an e-mail, or a call... you get the idea. Anyway, the second offense = suspension of your account for a YEAR.

They suspend your account? Why wouldn't they just charge you more?

WhoWee said:
nismaratwork said:
They suspend your account? Why wouldn't they just charge you more?

Honestly, I don't know... I can only speculate that those heavy users are less desirable. If you think about it, if you use 20 GB a month, max, but I hover around 200GB... we're paying the same money, but I'm infinitely less profitable. It's cynical, but maybe the final analysis is that quietly cutting customers is preferable to advertising prices that their competitors can then use against them in advertisements. I'd note: Verizon for instance does NOT have a limit on DSL or FiOS... so Comcast probably wants to deal with this quietly.

That's pure speculation on my part however, not any kind of insider knowledge. If there isn't a reason however, it's one random policy and extremely harsh. You cannot reinstate your account within that year... period... that must be a fairly shocking experience for the average consumer.

nismaratwork said:
WhoWee said:
Honestly, I don't know... I can only speculate that those heavy users are less desirable. If you think about it, if you use 20 GB a month, max, but I hover around 200GB... we're paying the same money, but I'm infinitely less profitable. It's cynical, but maybe the final analysis is that quietly cutting customers is preferable to advertising prices that their competitors can then use against them in advertisements. I'd note: Verizon for instance does NOT have a limit on DSL or FiOS... so Comcast probably wants to deal with this quietly.

That's pure speculation on my part however, not any kind of insider knowledge. If there isn't a reason however, it's one random policy and extremely harsh. You cannot reinstate your account within that year... period... that must be a fairly shocking experience for the average consumer.
You are right that no one wants the heavy users.

Evo said:

And rather than simply charging people for what they use, they want to charge based on what the content is, in order to protect their other interests.

Evo said:

What is the industry norm when personal users reach or exceed their maximim? Is Comcast alone in suspending the accounts of heavy users?

In the UK, the standard is to cut the speed of the person using excess.

For ADSL connections, it's usually a case of you having a monthly limit (mine is 40GB). The first time you go over it they warn you, the second time they slow your speed down to 10% of max for the next billing month. The third, well I haven't got that far.

For Cable connections, we only have the one and that's Virgin Media. They have peak caps. If you download more than 1500mb between 9am to 3pm and then a separate 4pm to 9pm, they cut your speed instantly from 10mb to 2mb for 5 hours.

For mobile users, they usually charge for excess use.