Is time really moving backwards?

• I
  • Thread starter Joe30174
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, this book is about relativity and I'm not sure if accelerated motion is relativistic to spacetime.
jbriggs444 said:
I am guessing here that taking one's foot off the accelerator, putting the vehicle in neutral and turning the steering wheel counts as an "energy input" in your book?
That's not a good analogy. Friction dissipates the vehicles energy.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
valenumr said:
That's not a good analogy. Friction dissipates the vehicles energy.
We've given you good analogies. But you've ignored them all.

Meanwhile, you've admitted that vehicles can deviate from a geodesic by dissipating energy into friction.

Likes Dale
valenumr said:
So you both claim that a fundamental principal of GR, an "observer" in "free fall" along a geodesic can deviate from that path without any external force applied? Ok.
I missed this earlier. No I do not claim that. The external force is indeed required.

What is not required is energy. Energy and momentum are different things. Power and force are similarly different things. You are conflating force and power.

A.T. said:
Maybe you are confusing energy with force?
Perhaps I am using the wrong term from the outset, but I also don't see how energy, momentum, and force can be extricated. I'm not saying that energy is used up, just transferred.

valenumr said:
Perhaps I am using the wrong term from the outset, but I also don't see how energy, momentum, and force can be extricated. I'm not saying that energy is used up, just transferred.
Going around in circles. I repeat: from what to what? From one billiard ball through a thread to another billiard ball?

valenumr said:
jbriggs444 said:
Going around in circles. I repeat: from what to what?
From one object to another.

valenumr said:
From one object to another.
So we have these two billiard balls with a thread between them. Please identify the energy transfer.

They are rotating about each other. They deviate from a geodesic on a continuing basis. Their energy is constant on a continuing basis. Where is the continuing energy transfer?

No need to bring relativity into this. Let's stick with classical physics. Where is the continuing energy transfer?

jbriggs444 said:
So we have these two billiard balls with a thread between them. Please identify the energy transfer.
Look, if you want to idealize a frictionless surface and perfect string, you are modeling a system where nothing loses energy. But if one ball gains energy, the other must lose some.

valenumr said:
Look, if you want to idealize a frictionless surface and perfect string, you are modeling a system where nothing loses energy. But if one ball gains energy, the other must lose some.
Neither ball gains energy. Neither ball loses energy. Both orbit at constant speed. Neither follows a geodesic. Your claim is that because a geodesic is not followed, energy must be transferred. But when challenged on the point, you have no answer.

You keep dodging your own scenario. You have a moving object subject to an external force. What makes you think it must gain energy?

valenumr said:
But is not gravitational acceleration in GR a fictitious force? An object traveling along a geodesic is a rest frame? Or is that totally a misunderstanding on my part?
Gravity is indeed a fictitious force in GR, the same way that centrifugal and coriolis are fictitious forces in classical mechanics (and GR). A fictitious force is one that causes proper acceleration, as opposed to coordinate acceleration; if you're not already clear about this essentiall distinction you'l want to look for some of our many threads about proper acceleration.

Thinking in terms of frames can be very confusing until you're clear on what a frame is and which quantities are frame-dependent and which are not. Energy, velocity, coordinate acceleration, momentum are all frame-dependent.

Every object is in a rest frame (because all objects are always in all frames). That frame in which an object is at rest may or may not be inertial. An inertial frame is only inertial within a region of spacetime small enough that gravitationa tidal effects cannot be detected; the global inertial frame of special relativity assume the complete absence of any gravitational effects.

jbriggs444 said:
You keep dodging your own scenario. You have a moving object subject to an external force. What makes you think it must gain energy?
Well, this is the crux.. I'm saying an object deviating from it's geodesic must necessarily change energy. That is all.

valenumr said:
Well, this is the crux.. I'm saying an object deviating from it's geodesic must necessarily change energy. That is all.
And that is wrong. Again.

It could be made correct with some qualifications:

An object at rest in an inertial frame cannot begin to move within that frame without having gained kinetic energy in that frame.

jbriggs444 said:
And that is wrong. Again.
Well, I see your point. It doesn't change energy, but perhaps increases in kinetic energy and loses potential energy or vice versa.

valenumr said:
Well, I see your point. It doesn't change energy, but perhaps increases in kinetic energy and loses potential energy or vice versa.
See subsequent edit in the post you quote. A viable claim would be:

"An object at rest in an inertial frame cannot begin to move within that frame without having gained kinetic energy in that frame".

valenumr said:
But how does it make that transition without energy applied? A rocket doesn't lift ff magically.

valenumr said:
But how does it make that transition without energy applied? A rocket doesn't lift ff magically.
You are assuming a prior state of rest in your chosen frame of reference. That assumption is not dictated by anything physical. It is pure personal prejudice.

The rest of us are free to consider frames of reference where objects begin in states other than rest. This is exceptionally useful when considering collections of objects, not all of which begin at relative rest.

jbriggs444 said:
You are assuming a prior state of rest in your chosen frame of reference. That assumption is not dictated by anything physical. It is pure personal prejudice.
I will disagree. It should be obvious that the rocket is undergoing an acceleration.

valenumr said:
I will disagree. It should be obvious that the rocket is undergoing an acceleration.
Sure. And this is an example of an object where its deviation from a geodesic is pretty manifestly associated with an expenditure of chemical energy into kinetic. Cherry-picked examples do not help prove your general assertion.

However, there are frames of reference where the result of the launch burn is to actually reduce the energy of the rocket.

jbriggs444 said:
Sure. And this is an example of an object where its deviation from a geodesic is pretty manifestly associated with an expenditure of chemical energy into kinetic. Cherry-picked examples do not help prove your general assertion.
I wasn't trying to cherry pick. In just think perhaps my use of the term energy turned this into a moot debate.

valenumr said:
I wasn't trying to cherry pick. In just think perhaps my use of the term energy turned this into a moot debate.
Possibly your understanding of the term "energy" needs some work. You do understand that it is frame-relative, right?

jbriggs444 said:
Possibly your understanding of the term "energy" needs some work. You do understand that it is frame-relative, right?
Yes, absolutely.

valenumr said:
Yes, absolutely.
So you agree that whether the rocket gains or loses kinetic energy at launch depends on the frame of reference that one adopts, right?

Nugatory said:
Gravity is indeed a fictitious force in GR, the same way that centrifugal and coriolis are fictitious forces in classical mechanics (and GR). A fictitious force is one that causes proper acceleration, as opposed to coordinate acceleration; if you're not already clear about this essentiall distinction you'l want to look for some of our many threads about proper acceleration.

Thinking in terms of frames can be very confusing until you're clear on what a frame is and which quantities are frame-dependent and which are not. Energy, velocity, coordinate acceleration, momentum are all frame-dependent.

Every object is in a rest frame (because all objects are always in all frames). That frame in which an object is at rest may or may not be inertial. An inertial frame is only inertial within a region of spacetime small enough that gravitationa tidal effects cannot be detected; the global inertial frame of special relativity assume the complete absence of any gravitational effects.
Just out of curiosity... Is that last point definitive? I know we can see creature of space on large scales, but would thinks look curved or flat locally even on soghettifying scales?

valenumr said:
Just out of curiosity... Is that last point definitive? I know we can see [curvature?] of space on large scales, but would thinks look curved or flat locally even on soghettifying scales?
For any fixed curvature, and for any particular experimental sensitivity, there is a local space-time region that is small enough so that the the effects of that fixed curvature are no longer detectable at that experimental sensitivity.

It takes a pretty big region to detect cosmic curvature.

valenumr said:
If I understand your second point correctly, regarding inducing perpendicular spin to the velocity vector, it would induce a torque (say downward)?
No. What I am saying is more drastic: that what you are intuitively thinking of when you say "inducing perpendicular spin" is not possible. The notion of "perpendicular" that you are intuitively using does not work for a body with nonzero vorticity.

valenumr said:
I suppose I could have said someone just spun a free floating pencil for the first case.
The pencil's axis still won't spin. Only points of the pencil that are off axis will.

valenumr said:
Observers would agree as to what actually had angular momentum, No?
By checking vorticity and seeing that it is nonzero, observers could agree that the pencil is spinning.

jbriggs444 said:
So you agree that whether the rocket gains or loses kinetic energy at launch depends on the frame of reference that one adopts, right?
Not really. I think it would still be observable that the rocket is gaining kinetic energy. I mean, ultimately it is trading off propellent, but the acceleration effects are observable. It's hard to put into words, but even comparing multiple inertial frames, the rocket is gaining kinetic energy, not the Earth it is pushing off from.

Even in free space, one could argue the frame of the rocket versus propellent I suppose. But it is still the rocket that is defying it's normal geodesic.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
valenumr said:
Is that last point definitive?
Yes. Locality is defined by the scale small enough that tidal effects are not detectable. No matter how strong the tidal effects are, we can make them arbitrarily small by limiting our consideration to a sufficiently small region.

Likes jbriggs444
valenumr said:
Not really. I think it would still be observable that the rocket is gaining kinetic energy. I mean, ultimately it is trading off propellent, but the acceleration effects are observable. It's hard to put into words, but even comparing multiple inertial frames, the rocket is gaining kinetic energy, not the Earth it is pushing off from.
Great! We finally have a disagreement that we can sink our respective teeth into.

The rocket is NOT unambiguously gaining energy. There is nothing about the size of the Earth that matters. It is all about frames of reference written with pencil on paper.

One useful exercise in classical physics involves a cart, a spring and a ball bearing that it shoots rearward. The experiment can be analyzed in any inertial frame you choose. Whether the cart gains energy, loses energy or remains at the same energy changes with the choice of reference frame. But energy and momentum are always conserved.

You can choose the reference frame after you run the experiment. So it obviously cannot influence the experimental results.

Edit: Rockets do not push off from the Earth. They push off from their exhaust stream.

jbriggs444 said:
Great! We finally have a disagreement that we can sink our respective teeth into.

The rocket is NOT unambiguously gaining energy. There is nothing about the size of the Earth that matters. It is all about frames of reference written with pencil on paper.

One useful exercise in classical physics involves a cart, a spring and a ball bearing that it shoots rearward. The experiment can be analyzed in any inertial frame you choose. Whether the cart gains energy, loses energy or remains at the same energy changes with the choice of reference frame. But energy and momentum are always conserved.

You can choose the reference frame after you run the experiment. So it obviously cannot influence the experimental results.
But the fact that the astronauts on the rocket experience the acceleration? And especially when we get into free space. I suppose we can argue the propellent feels an acceleration too though.

jbriggs444 said:
valenumr said:
Not really.
Then you have a problem with classic Galilean Relativity. You should figure that out first, before trying to learn SR or GR.

Likes Vanadium 50
A.T. said:
Then you have a problem with classic Galilean Relativity. You should figure that out first, before trying to learn SR or GR.
It's not that at all. I just think actual accelerations are theoretically identifiable amongst observers.

valenumr said:
I just think actual accelerations are theoretically identifiable amongst observers.
Proper acceleration--what an accelerometer measures--is an invariant, yes.

But coordinate acceleration--the second derivative of position with respect to time--is not. That is because both "position" and "time" depend on your choice of coordinates.

Kinetic energy is also coordinate dependent, since it depends on coordinate velocity, the first derivative of position with respect to time, which is coordinate dependent for the same reason coordinate acceleration is.

Note that the rocket on the pad before it fires its engines is already deviating from a geodesic path. Where is the energy transfer?

Likes Ibix
valenumr said:
It's not that at all. I just think actual accelerations are theoretically identifiable amongst observers.
That is definitely true. You can simply attach an accelerometer and thereby identify the actual (proper) acceleration.

What is incorrect is that this is associated with an energy transfer. The force must be non-zero, but the power may be zero. Again, I recommend that you pause posting here and spend time to go through the math I posted earlier.

Likes SiennaTheGr8
valenumr said:
That wasn't the question. It was about the frame dependence of KE changes. Even two inertial frames will see different KE changes for the same object, which has a frame invariant proper acceleration.

You are confusing energy with force/acceleration and jumping back and forth between them.