The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
Toothpaste in a tube first done by Washington Sheffield in 1892.

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
3 part quetion
Pfft...nobody answered the second part of my question before continuing on before. (Okay, I was still googling...the first part I got without google.)

Correct!...

'kay, moonbear's up!

A company exports the largest percentage of beef from the U.S. It shares its name with an American supermodel, what is his father's race?

What I thought I was up! After getting it before Evo. This thread moves fast.

Christian?

That's okay MK, I'm still looking for a good one, so you can go ahead of me here.

I've had enough, I got one

In ---- he reached the London Regional Final of the Times crossword competition, where his score was one of the highest recorded by an American. He was a famous logicion and philosipher. Who was he?

Mk said:
A company exports the largest percentage of beef from the U.S. It shares its name with an American supermodel, what is his father's race?
Need more clues. (Also:Did you really mean to say "his" father's race?)

Mk said:
My lack of knowledge of supermodels slowed this one down considerably.

Okay, Tyson foods is the largest beef exporter, and the supermodel is Tyson Beckford, his father is Jamaican.

MOONBEAR GETS IT...again...nobody answered mine..:cry:

yomamma said:
MOONBEAR GETS IT...again...nobody answered mine..:cry:
You can't post one till you guess one correctly.

but nobody was posting! WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO? :cry:

zoobyshoe said:
Need more clues. (Also:Did you really mean to say "his" father's race?)
I see you have a problem with typos there. Her invention might help with that. Name the invention and inventor.

yomamma said:
but nobody was posting! WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO? :cry:
I authorized yomamma to ask a quetion. :smile:

I already asked it:

In ---- he reached the London Regional Final of the Times crossword competition, where his score was one of the highest recorded by an American. He was a famous logicion and philosipher. Who was he?

Moonbear said:
I see you have a problem with typos there. Her invention might help with that. Name the invention and inventor.
I soooo hope you're not talking about Bette Nesmith Graham's liquid paper (white out), since I used that as a clue I gave just yesterday.

zoobyshoe said:
I soooo hope you're not talking about Bette Nesmith Graham's liquid paper (white out), since I used that as a clue I gave just yesterday.
Okay, yomamma's question is still up then (I missed your earlier clue...this thread is moving too fast! :eek:)

Moonbear said:
Okay, yomamma's question is still up
damn' right

yomamma said:
I already asked it:

Bertrand Russel 1941

George Boolos

zoobyshoe said:
Bertrand Russel 1941
Sorry, that's wrong his initials are GB

EDIT: moonbear got it

Okay, I'm just going to check that my next one hasn't already made an appearance here before I post it...brb!

Okay kiddies, listen up! Here's the next clue:
The first model came out in turquoise and cost $15.95.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Any way that you can find the answer is fair game.
Now you tell me, you reprobate! Googling, indeed!
I thought we were supposed to figure it out by ourselves.

zoobyshoe said:
This was originally called "rod wax" and was considered a nuisance till someone put it in jars and sold it.
When I first read this, my immediate thought was 'turtle wax'. Turned out I was right. :biggrin:

Danger said:
When I first read this, my immediate thought was 'turtle wax'. Turned out I was right. :biggrin:
:smile: :smile: Now get googling, my question awaits! :biggrin: There's more than just the obvious clue there.

need more clues!

I'm sure all the necessary clues are there. :devil:

Okay, but now I think it's going to be too easy: its 40th anniversary was commemorated with a gourmet recipe book.

Originally Posted by Ivan Seeking

Danger said:
Now you tell me, you reprobate! Googling, indeed!
I thought we were supposed to figure it out by ourselves.
We ARE supposed to know it ourselves. Googling is ok if you think you know the answer but need to verify.

NOT HAVING A CLUE AND GOOGLING THE HINT IS WRONG! :devil: :mad:

I'm for making this a visual clues only so no googling can be done.

Evo said:
Originally Posted by Ivan Seeking

We ARE supposed to know it ourselves. Googling is ok if you think you know the answer but need to verify.

NOT HAVING A CLUE AND GOOGLING THE HINT IS WRONG! :devil: :mad:

I'm for making this a visual clues only so no googling can be done.
I didn't see any rules about not googling. I thought the idea was to try to come up with clues that can't be quickly googled to outsmart the googlers. (How many new word forms can I make up using "google?" :smile:)

Evo said:
NOT HAVING A CLUE AND GOOGLING THE HINT IS WRONG!
Too late, everyone's doing it.

Moonbear said:
I didn't see any rules about not googling. I thought the idea was to try to come up with clues that can't be quickly googled to outsmart the googlers. (How many new word forms can I make up using "google?" :smile:)
Gokul is against googling, I allow some googling. Gokul's right, if googling the answer is ok, it's just a "first here wins" and there's no intellectual contest. :mad: What's the point?

Moonbear said:
Okay, I'm just going to check that my next one hasn't already made an appearance here before I post it...brb!

Okay kiddies, listen up! Here's the next clue:
The first model came out in turquoise and cost $15.95.
Wild guess: 1st electric stove?

Evo said:
Gokul is against googling, I allow some googling. Gokul's right, if googling the answer is ok, it's just a "first here wins" and there's no intellectual contest. :mad:
Not true; googling is an art, and frequently just googling the clues doesn't get you anywhere. You have to be clever about what you punch in. Also, there is an art to giving clues that are ungooglable.

zoobyshoe said:
Wild guess: 1st electric stove?
Nope, but you're warm.