What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,466
I guess " Hey Man" can sound like " Amen". Weird exchange; will try to pronounce it differently next time. Never mind there is an Egyptian first name " Ayman" . But I don't think a triple confusion is likely.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,467
My dog Ming passed away today, it was sudden and unexpected, I blame the vet that I had just taken him to for vaccinations, He was fine when I took him in. It was a new vet. My neighbor said "Oh no, that vet is horrible". Too late. I'm devasted, I'm crushed. My heart is ripped out. Did they give him the wrong dose, the wrong thing? I don't know, I just know he pranced in, I had to carry him out. I called them a couple of days later, when he was really failing, rushed him back in, they said the first vet was wrong, that's all they would say. Gave some meds. Now he's dead.

• #3,468
@Evo
My sincere condolences. Losing a valued pet/family member is tough. So sorry.

Tom

Likes WWGD and Evo
  • #3,469
Tom.G said:
@Evo
My sincere condolences. Losing a valued pet/family member is tough. So sorry.

Tom
Thank you so much. I can't stop crying.

• #3,470
WWGD said:
Path-connectedness is not just an empty abstraction. I paid extra rent on the grounds that there was a laundry inside the building where I live. BUT... there is no path _inside of the building_ taking me from my apt. to the laundry room. So I must exit the building in order to go to the laundry room. I counted, and, in order to : drop the clothes on the laundry, go back up to wait till they're done, go back down to put them in the laundry, go back up to wait till they're dry, go back down to pick them up, go back up, I must use my key 10 times -- at times while carrying clothes. If someone tries to sell you on this, on having laundry inside of the building, do ask whether there is a path between your apt. and the laundry _within_ the building. EDIT ALTHOUGH: having a path between the apt. and the laundry room within the building is weaker than overall path-connectedness. AND there are no chairs in the laundry room -- barely any space to walk in there.

From the one apartment I've had that did not have onsite laundry, I've learned that you can get a laundry-bag-backpack from Amazon for under 20 bucks. Very helpful for freeing up your hands while carrying clothes.

edit:
ixnay on the bi-partite graph

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
  • #3,471
Sending psychological hug to Evo.

I want you to know that it's okay to be sad. You are a great person and there is no doubt in my mind that your friend and family Ming loved you. I take a moment of silence and send you a big strong supporting hug.

Likes Evo
  • #3,472
Evo said:
My dog Ming passed away today, ...
Dang it. :oldcry:

RIP
attachment-php-attachmentid-71797-d-1406850107-jpg.jpg

Attachments

• attachment-php-attachmentid-71797-d-1406850107-jpg.jpg
    attachment-php-attachmentid-71797-d-1406850107-jpg.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Likes Evo
  • #3,473
@Evo My sincerest condolences.

:oldcry:

Likes Evo
  • #3,474
My condolences too, Evo. Sorry.

• #3,475
StoneTemplePython said:
From the one apartment I've had that did not have onsite laundry, I've learned that you can get a laundry-bag-backpack from Amazon for under 20 bucks. Very helpful for freeing up your hands while carrying clothes.

edit:
ixnay on the bi-partite graph
Good idea, thanks. It may be more worthwhile to go to an outside place to do the laundry, where at least they have a sitting area, tho most likely not Wifi. I doubt anyone iis likely to steal my clothes, since they are all at least 10 years old.

• #3,476
They had this contest asking people to nominate someone they considered to be a hero. I am thinking of nominating myself, not because I think I am a hero, but just to think of the reaction the organizers will have to such a pretentious gesture.

• #3,477
I just missed this call at around 11 today. I call back...and the number is out of service!?? How can I receive a call from a number that is out of service??

• #3,478
WWGD said:
I just missed this call at around 11 today. I call back...and the number is out of service!?? How can I receive a call from a number that is out of service??
Caller ID spoofing

Likes WWGD
  • #3,479
WWGD said:
I call back...and the number is out of service!??
This one... ?

Samples
1111-BR-549

Likes dlgoff
  • #3,480
I know this one:

WWGD said:

The ocean called, to say they're running out of shrimp.

Likes WWGD
  • #3,481
WWGD said:
uh oh. You're on their list. Plan on five or six a day forever. Blocking does no good they just call back with a different fake number. Press "1" and waste their time it's your only revenge.

Carl Hiassen wrote a very funny novel about telemarketers. See of you can find it -- "Nature Girl" .

old jim

Last edited:
  • #3,482
WWGD said:
They had this contest asking people to nominate someone they considered to be a hero. I am thinking of nominating myself, not because I think I am a hero, but just to think of the reaction the organizers will have to such a pretentious gesture.
Much more fun would be to find out who the organiser works for (eg their boss or the CEO) and nominate that person.

Likes WWGD
  • #3,483
I have caught a nasty habit of staring at people directly. Not on purpose, just in a distracted way, but I can see how it is annoying to be at the receiving end of it.

• #3,484
WWGD said:
I have caught a nasty habit of staring at people directly. Not on purpose, just in a distracted way, but I can see how it is annoying to be at the receiving end of it.
Form the habit of flashing a smile and friendly 'hi' upon eye contact. They'll think you're a Southerner. "Howdy" is even better.
In Montreal i got a lot of mileage out of "Bonjour , y'all"

• #3,485
rB35enD.jpg
Ahaha. That was funny. She's funny. I like those comics. Here's another one: http://www.cassandracalin.com/comics_18-truths-having-long-hair.html

Who would have thought long hair could be so troublesome.

Attachments

• rB35enD.jpg
    rB35enD.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 319
  • #3,486
I won a brand new 55" UHD 4K display with HDR on eBay yesterday worth well over £1,000 and have already collected it from an estate agent office. The only description in the £0.99 auction was 'sold as seen'. The lady in the office that made the auction didn't know if it worked as she couldn't find the £2 power cord (kettle plug) to test it. I bid £165 during the last 8 seconds. Someone else bid £1 so i got it for £1.20.

Likes CWatters
  • #3,487
Evo said:
My dog Ming passed away today, it was sudden and unexpected

I'm so sorry for your loss, Evo. :cry:

Likes Evo
  • #3,488
Evo said:
I'm crushed. My heart is ripped out.

This is why I won't have a dog, the loss when they go is too much

Sorry Evo

Likes Evo
  • #3,489
I just bought a small kumquat tree covered in fruit.

• #3,490
Karjakin has given the quality for nothing...

• #3,491
My neighbor has a cat! :woot:

I was arriving at night when I randomly look and a cat was looking at me through the window. I think it likes me :blushing:.

• #3,492
fresh_42 said:
Karjakin has given the quality for nothing...
... and won with his pawns! And what did Mamedjarow: lost, too, completely unnecessarily. What a day.

• #3,493
My jacket is wearing out and some feathers are showing in the outside layer. I look like I got into a fist fight with an ostrich.

• #3,494
Oh my...!
WWGD said:
My jacket is wearing out and some feathers are showing in the outside layer.
I sure hope you don't have to start selling the morning paper... like Jimmy did. . :oldfrown:

• #3,495
WWGD said:
I got into a fist fight with an ostrich.
Should be an easy win - ostriches don't have fists.

Likes StoneTemplePython
  • #3,496
Resume when a bug becomes a feature in your program:

I make everything right even when I make it wrong.

:-p

• #3,497
Ibix said:
EDIT :No kidding.My kind of fight!

Last edited:
  • #3,498
Ibix said:
That's the problem of trying a joke with the science crowd; they fact-check you when you try to use some license :) . I remember once I told the joke that the Vatican's logicians were working over time after the pope said: " I am sorry, I was wrong before -- I actually _am_ infallible" , and someone (seriously) gave me a pretty full argument for EDITwhy the Pope making a mistake did not contradict the doctrine of infallibility. Serenity Now!

Last edited:
Likes StoneTemplePython and BillTre
  • #3,499
WWGD said:
I remember once I told the joke that the Vatican's logicians were working over time after the pope said: " I am sorry, I was wrong before -- I actually _am_ infallible"
I always assumed that's where papal bull came in, but perhaps I misunderstand the terminology.
WWGD said:
someone (seriously) gave me a pretty full argument for why infallibility did not contradict the doctrine of infallibility.
Doesn't surprise me - you can't swing a cat round here without hitting an expert on something random like dealing with cat scratches to the head.

Likes WWGD
  • #3,500
Ibix said:
I always assumed that's where papal bull came in, but perhaps I misunderstand the terminology.
Doesn't surprise me - you can't swing a cat round here without hitting an expert on something random like dealing with cat scratches to the head.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Scratch_Fever