What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,431
fresh_42 said:
While giving me attention? Of course, natürlich, bien sure, naturalmente! However, I'm not a fan of Blondes. Do you know the yellow strip between the lanes on a country road? That's my list of bad experiences with Blondes. So, maybe they have more fun, but I don't hope so.
And now they have the Starbuchs' Blondes too ( Yellow beans). I have not tried them yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,432
WWGD said:
And now they have the Starbuchs' Blondes too. I have not tried them yet.
They call a cold beer in a glas a cool Blonde over here. Strange, all of a sudden I have to think about "12 reasons why a beer is better ..."

• #3,433
fresh_42 said:
They call a cold beer in a glas a cool Blonde over here. Strange, all of a sudden I have to think about "12 reasons why a beer is better ..."
I was always curious why people drink iced bear in Winter

• #3,434
Why do I get such a weird buzz when I drink Iced coffee? The buzz from hot espresso is much more straightforward.

• #3,435
WWGD said:
I was always curious why people drink iced bear in Winter
Did you ever try to drink a bear that has warmed up his muscles before? I can't imagine this to be a good idea. And they don't really sleep in winter, it's more a sort of a rest.

• #3,436
fresh_42 said:
Did you ever try to drink a bear that has warmed up his muscles before? I can't imagine this to be a good idea. And they don't really sleep in winter, it's more a sort of a rest.
That's part of the weird buzz: thinking about bears instead of beers. Typical ;).

• #3,437
WWGD said:
That's part of the weird buzz: thinking about bears instead of beers. Typical ;).
Look for the beer necessities
The simple beer necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the beer necessities
Old Mother Nature's recipes
That brings the beer necessities of life

Likes WWGD
  • #3,439
I have to admit I have my biases. I was surprised to see burly construction workers at the lunch place having no-meat salads and one even a Kale shake.If they start talking about (s)Astrology, and asking each other their sign, I will flip, though.

• #3,440
WWGD said:
Still, it does seem to wear one out. After paying attention, focusing, I feel drained; I imagine/assume most do.
Yeah, ... attending payment is more fun.

• #3,441
fresh_42 said:
Yeah, ... attending payment is more fun.
And incoming payment is even bettererer.

• #3,442
Another triple-syllable repeat, from the papers:

Percoco convicted (co co co ) Maybe Malala lamented ( la la la) . EDIT: See my previous too, for another triple ( er er er).

Last edited:
  • #3,443
I had a bad experience today. I was commuting to work on the bus. It went down the road where the former KGB agent, Nikolai Glushkov was murdered this week. You could see the blue police tents outside and the BBC filming everything. The trouble was, I had a very, very bad stomach and felt bloated. My flatulence was so bad it could strip the paint off a car in minutes.

I was siting on the top deck and opened a window. Luckily, the top deck had very few commuters, but then an army of 11 yr old school girls boarded and filled the top deck, talking loudly. My stomach was making loud bubbling sounds and I was trying desperately not to let another one rip. My stop was a good 6 stops away before I had to alight and I didn't want to drop this bomb. The girls would immediately know it was me and I didn't want the ensuing heat. I had to think fast. I opted to go downstairs and stealthily 'crop dust' the top deck on my way down like Solid Snake. I got up and realized I had a very upset stomach and needed the bathroom ASAP. I quickly sat back down in a panic. I had to catch another bus after this one and was already running late. The only viable option was the local MacDonalds, but I just can't stand public loos. The built up of gas made it even worse. I was a ticking time bomb.

I held it together and made it to work but couldn't start my shift for a good 45 minutes for obvious reasons.

So today I learned NOT to try prune juice for the first time before commuting.

Likes collinsmark
  • #3,444
shrimp and prune juice - not a good combination. :nb)

• #3,445
Borg said:
shrimp and prune juice - not a good combination. :nb)
Similar here. The restaurants " Taco Tuesday" turned into my " Bathroom Wednesday".

• #3,446
I don't know why the only weekday used as a name ( that I am aware off ) is Sunday: "Domingo/Domenico"(Spanish/Italian). I would have thought that Friday would be the most popular day overall ( Save Robinson Crusoe). Still, I have seen cases of people named " January" , even " February", when the most popular month-names are April, June, May -- I assume most prefer Spring over Winter.

• #3,447
WWGD said:
Similar here. The restaurants " Taco Tuesday" turned into my " Bathroom Wednesday".
You should try a "Marquee Friday" followed by a "Bedroom Weekend". Only risk is, this could easily end in a nightmarish spring and summer.
WWGD said:
I don't know why the only weekday used as a name ( that I am aware off ) is Sunday: "Domingo/Domenico"(Spanish/Italian). I would have thought that Friday would be the most popular day overall ( Save Robinson Crusoe). Still, I have seen cases of people named " January" , even " February", when the most popular month-names are April, June, May -- I assume most prefer Spring over Winter.
Does he count: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eberhard_Freitag ? Although I like the writing Freytag more. It's somehow more honest.

• #3,448
fresh_42 said:
You should try a "Marquee Friday" followed by a "Bedroom Weekend". Only risk is, this could easily end in a nightmarish spring and summer.

Does he count: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eberhard_Freitag ? Although I like the writing Freytag more. It's somehow more honest.
But isn't Freytag the last name? I was referring to the use as a first name.

• #3,449
WWGD said:
But isn't Freytag the last name? I was referring to the use as a first name.
Well, we still have Freya, don't we?

• #3,450
fresh_42 said:
Well, we still have Freya, don't we?
After Thursdiya?

• #3,451
WWGD said:
After Thursdiya?
After Thor's døgn, after Wodan's døgn, after Tyr's døgn. We all should replace all the eagles in our state signs by ravens!

• #3,452
fresh_42 said:
After Thor's døgn, after Wodan's døgn, after Tyr's døgn. We all should replace all the eagles in our state signs by ravens!
Yes, what's up with those eagles? The U.S, Mexico, Germany, all have them in their respective flags. Weird that they had a gov official with name Eagleburger, when it is prohibited to kill --and therefore eat eagles.

• #3,453
WWGD said:
Yes, what's up with those eagles? The U.S, Mexico, Germany, all have them in their respective flags. Weird that they had a gov official with name Eagleburger, when it is prohibited to kill --and therefore eat eagles.
... and Russia, and Austria, and Poland ... Strong eagles rather than smart ravens - telling, isn't it?

• #3,454
I've read that Giant Tiger Prawn (Penaeus monodon) are the termites of the ocean and are a cannibalistic, invasive species, yet they still fetch around £14+ a kilo frozen. A lot of the frozen ones have 'added saltwater' and binding agents to make them larger which ruins the texture and taste. The don't cook right with the added water and taste raw after cooking. The general public assume prawns are a luxury item so even the ones with added water are still expensive. I live in London and buy fresh with the head and shell on. I know they were probably previously frozen, but you don't get the added water. After removing the head it's more like £30 a kilo and are bland without spices. I prefer the strong taste of the pink Atlantic cold water prawns that are boiled at source. They're great with lemon juice. I just peel the chitin off and eat the whole prawn with the head and legs.

I can buy frozen river cobbler fillets (Pangasius) for £4 a kilo. I know of a few stores that stock it without the 'plumping' process of added water.
I've read that most of the Pangasius catfish fillets are raised in the polluted Mekong river and are injected with drugs (including the urine of pregnant female women) to boost hormones and make them grow faster. Pangasius are apparently a big thing in France due to how cheap they are and taste similar to cod. Some fish 'n' chip shops in the UK are passing off cobbler as cod to unknowing customers according to an article I read in The Independent.

• #3,455
Many think that its not uncommon for unscrupulous sellers of fish (as food) to sell the meat of one species as a different more expensive species.
This is possible because once the fish is cleaned and skinned it is not easy to ID the species.
As a result, in some cases PCR molecular tests are occasionally used to ID the species being sold as food.

skyshrimp said:
are a cannibalistic
Not surprising.
Many crustaceans will eat conspecifics (members of the same species), given the opportunity, unusually after they molt and are relatively defenseless.

• #3,456
skyshrimp said:
...female women...
Lol, I guess that works... . :ok:

Likes skyshrimp
  • #3,457
I think this is cool looking:
FMM1MUAJESSRVZD.RECT600.jpg

A how-to-make-it is here.

Attachments

• FMM1MUAJESSRVZD.RECT600.jpg
    FMM1MUAJESSRVZD.RECT600.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 663
Likes collinsmark and Ibix
  • #3,458
BillTre said:
I think this is cool looking:
View attachment 222241

A how-to-make-it is here.
I knew a network administrator who hanged a dozen of them on the wall behind his desk ... - without the clock, of course.

• #3,459
Path-connectedness is not just an empty abstraction. I paid extra rent on the grounds that there was a laundry inside the building where I live. BUT... there is no path _inside of the building_ taking me from my apt. to the laundry room. So I must exit the building in order to go to the laundry room. I counted, and, in order to : drop the clothes on the laundry, go back up to wait till they're done, go back down to put them in the laundry, go back up to wait till they're dry, go back down to pick them up, go back up, I must use my key 10 times -- at times while carrying clothes. If someone tries to sell you on this, on having laundry inside of the building, do ask whether there is a path between your apt. and the laundry _within_ the building. EDIT ALTHOUGH: having a path between the apt. and the laundry room within the building is weaker than overall path-connectedness. AND there are no chairs in the laundry room -- barely any space to walk in there.

• #3,460
Could have been even worse: Imagine the round trip was 0-homotope!

• #3,461
fresh_42 said:
Could have been even worse: Imagine the round trip was 0-homotope!
Contractible? You mean the laundry in my appartment -- up to homotopy?

Last edited:
  • #3,462
WWGD said:
Contractible? You mean the laundry in my place -- up to homotopy?
Yep. Would be a nice come an go then.

• #3,463
fresh_42 said:
Yep. Would be a nice come an go then.
Yes, it would be nice to live in a loop space, which is where I think every thing is true when considered up to homotopy. Or maybe some length space. I don't know enough to identify things better here.

• #3,464
Still, sometimes I have thought of Topological analogies , as in finding one way in life being a way of finding an embedding into life.

• #3,465
WWGD said:
Still, sometimes I have thought of Topological analogies , as in finding one way in life being a way of finding an embedding into life.
Not that I haven't tried those kind of embeddings. The fine art is to do it isometric!