What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,711
Borg said:
Speaking of features. What can I do when my company installs a version of Windows 10 that locks the screen if there isn't any input for 15 minutes and the settings can't be changed even with admin rights?
Clearly the solution is to find your system admin and hurt him.

Likes fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,712
Borg said:
Speaking of features. What can I do when my company installs a version of Windows 10 that locks the screen if there isn't any input for 15 minutes and the settings can't be changed even with admin rights?
This of course. :devil:
Java:
public static void main(String args...) {
    Robot robot = new Robot();
    Random random = new Random();
    while(true) {
        Point point = MouseInfo.getPointerInfo().getLocation();    // Get the current mouse location
        point.setLocation(point.getX()+random.nextInt(1), point.getY()+random.nextInt(1));    // Move x and y one pixel randomly
        robot.mouseMove(((int)point.getX()), ((int)point.getY());
        Thread.sleep(800000);      // wait 14 minutes and move it again 
    }
}
One had to laugh if it wasn't so sad.

• #3,713
WWGD said:
I don't know why search results never contain actual answer visible without/before clicking. If you, e.g., ask for the translation of Sturgeon to German, all you see are hits with lines like: The word Sturgeon translates into German as ... and you have to click to see the actual answer.
Another example of an English word in which one missing letter leads to a completely different meaning. English is the worst error correcting code I've ever seen.

• #3,714
fresh_42 said:
Another example of an English word in which one missing letter leads to a completely different meaning. English is the worst error correcting code I've ever seen.
So you won't reveal the answer either. You're as bad as they are...;).

• #3,716
WWGD said:
So you won't reveal the answer either. You're as bad as they are...;).
I'm still working on a good answer. My best guess so far is, that you've won a bet and we're talking about caviar.

• #3,717
fresh_42 said:
I'm still working on a good answer. My best guess so far is, that you've won a bet and we're talking about caviar.
More like something to see with the Sturgeon General. Who recommends _not_ to eat fish. At least not sturgeon.

Last edited:
Likes phinds
  • #3,718
WWGD said:
More like something to see with the Sturgeon General.
No, I just saw they were selling sturgeon in a store and I was curious.

• #3,719
WWGD said:
No, I just saw they were selling sturgeon in a store and I was curious.
You can't write it here anyway without stearching for the ASCII code of "ö" :-p

• #3,720
fresh_42 said:
You can't write it here anyway without stearching for the ASCII code of "ö" :-p

"ö" No!

• #3,721
WWGD said:
"ö" No!
Don't worry, Freshmeister, not that important.

• #3,722
WWGD said:
Don't worry, Freshmeister, not that important.
I thought you've looked it up in the meantime. A quick method for such cases is
  1. Call https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon
  2. Switch the language.
    upload_2018-5-15_2-8-48.png
  3. Find https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Störe
Only problem is, they have it in the plural Störe and the singular is Stör (m.).

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-15_2-8-48.png
    upload_2018-5-15_2-8-48.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 760
Likes WWGD
  • #3,724
WWGD said:
As long as they still sell it in the Store...;).
By the way, and somehow funny, because I always wonder, why English native speakers cannot pronounce ö as in Stör. And store is far from sounding even similar. However, the gag is, that if you say "Stur(geon)" and drop the "geon", it's exactly how it sounds. This proves it can be pronounced, so it's somehow strange that it never happens. O.k. some nuance is left: Stör = Stur is a nothern attitude, the real pronunciation is "Shtur" with a "sh" at the beginning instead of "Stur". This applies to all words with "st" or "sp", they are pronounced "sht" resp. "shp". But you would be understood if you say "Stur" for Stör.

• #3,725
StoneTemplePython said:
I guess my question is:
Google (2).JPG

Lol...

Attachments

• Google (2).JPG
    Google (2).JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 667
  • #3,726
  • #3,727
WWGD said:
I this, I that a test
DrGreg said:
In the prod version all the error-checking is removed, so you won't know why it went wrong.

:-p .. :-p

• #3,728
That waterfall relaxation music piped in just makes me want to go to the bathroom...

• #3,729
The lady that just walked in, with her gray hair looks exactly like Isaac Newton in the library portrait. I would ask her about her fluxions, but maybe she will slap me.

• #3,730
there's some serious random thoughts action today

OCR said:

some recursion / circular reference humour
- - -
plus some coding theory / entropy humour

fresh_42 said:

I feel like that Oswald guy would have something smart to say about this...

• #3,731
Maybe it's just me, but after 'increment' and 'decremen't I expect to see 'excrement'.

• #3,732
When you make a contraction... as you did with your decremen...
WWGD said:
'decremen't
Normally, you wouldn't...
WWGD said:
...expect to see 'excrement'.
At least, not for awhile . a while...

So, just while away the hours in some easy or pleasant manner, and stop ruminating... it will pass. . :-p

Lol...

Last edited:
  • #3,733
WWGD said:
Maybe it's just me, but after 'increment' and 'decremen't I expect to see 'excrement'.
You mean things like

DO WHILE I < N
I=I+1
END DO

DO WHILE I > N
I=I-1
END DO

DO WHILE I = N
I=I+0
END DO

• #3,734
fresh_42 said:
You mean things like

DO WHILE I < N
I=I+1
END DO

DO WHILE I > N
I=I-1
END DO

DO WHILE I = N
I=I+0
END DO
Indeed, isn't that the output?

• #3,735
fresh_42 said:
You mean things like

DO WHILE I < N
I=I+1
END DO

DO WHILE I > N
I=I-1
END DO

DO WHILE I = N
I=I+0
END DO
AND...
SYSTEM.OUT.PRINTLN<"Excrement">;

• #3,736

Boston Dynamics makes my jaw drop. They're advancing so quickly.

The technological marvels future generations will witness will be utterly amazing. If I had the chance to be successfully, cryogenically frozen for 20 to 50 years at a time and then revived without damage, I would honestly do it. I reckon in just 40 years or less, people might actually start to have this option. You could wake and live in a future date for a year or so to get a grasp on everything and then go back in the freezer for the next episode. If you went too far, you might see a future where what once were homo-sapiens, see you the same way we currently see apes in our zoos. Ape men from 2018. Homo-sapiens wouldn't have the mental capacity to fathom their intelligence either :biggrin:

• #3,737
Obvious but smart approach to quality control, getting an order right: just repeat the order to the customer right after he gives it. Maybe better would be for the customer to enter it in writing(typing) .

• #3,738
I don't care how many times I have seen it: people wearing big headphones in the streets look like they come from another planet; maybe less so when you see them up close.

• #3,739
Is it over? Can we watch (non US) news again?

• #3,740
fresh_42 said:
If you are referring to events in Britain, yes, I can confirm that the F A Cup Final is over.

• #3,741
DrGreg said:
If you are referring to events in Britain, yes, I can confirm that the F A Cup Final is over.
This subject isn't any better. I have two mugs here, one from QPR and one from Forest. What does this tell you?

• #3,742
fresh_42 said:
Let's just change Melania's name to Daisy and son Eric to Daffy and pretend it is Disney.

• #3,743
I wonder if there is a suave-enough way of telling a woman to "put her piggybank away" , i.e., pants are low and her crack is showing; seems like a piggy bank opening to drop a coin. I am not that suave myself.

Sorry I didn't go for your namesake Python; still, we don't have StoneTempleJAva (still?) ;).

Likes StoneTemplePython
  • #3,744
WWGD said:
Let's just change Melania's name to Daisy and son Eric to Daffy and pretend it is Disney.
There's no need to change characters which are already caricatures. It's the boring story board. Each day the same nonsense, interrupted by the scheduled weekly crime. CNN international as a news channel is already a total loss. I even consider to watch BBC out of desperation, now that it's over. Hopefully she won't litter within at least a year.

• #3,745
fresh_42 said:
There's no need to change characters which are already caricatures. It's the boring story board. Each day the same nonsense, interrupted by the scheduled weekly crime. CNN international as a news channel is already a total loss. I even consider to watch BBC out of desperation, now that it's over. Hopefully she won't litter within at least a year.
Why do you complain: a 4-year-long (let's hope) episode of Jerry Springer ? Jerry!, Jerry !, ...