What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,796
WWGD said:
Then try the Sprockets thing. Don't Germans do so anyway, like, daily?

Nope. We do this (at 2:25):

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,797
fresh_42 said:
Nope. We do this (at 2:25):

Drunk Penguin Danzert?

• #4,798
WWGD said:
Drunk Penguin Danzert?
This was a short (7 episodes) low budget sci-fi series in '66 (Space Patrol Orion); very low budget. They did everything to appear futuristic. The setup of the bridge e.g. included an iron as steering instrument and so on. It's meanwhile a cult and some cinemas (or tv) occasionally show all episodes in one night. But the theme is o.k.:

• #4,799
fresh_42 said:
This was a short (7 episodes) low budget sci-fi series in '66 (Space Patrol Orion); very low budget. They did everything to appear futuristic. The setup of the bridge e.g. included an iron as steering instrument and so on. It's meanwhile a cult and some cinemas (or tv) occasionally show all episodes in one night. But the theme is o.k.:

A worrisome thing about all these futuristic shows is that it seems baldness has not been cured in the future: there are always bald guys staring in the shows.

• #4,800
Kind of paradoxical that changing to a healthier diet (more fruits, vegetables, water, cutting down on artificial additives; cutting down on sugar, etc.) has made me weaker in a way. When I eat something sugary or ladden with preservatives, it hits me way harder than when I was not as healthful.

• #4,801
This teenage girl been taking incredibly vigorously on the phone for around an hour without signs of stopping. Problem is she is sitting next to me. Whatever! Or is it However!?

• #4,802
Hmm...how can I put it to the person who wrote me an email telling me she had some money in an account in Ghana, and she ...? She said she is waiting for my reply. How should I reply: I suggest you get a comfortable chair , because it will be a long #$% wait?

Likes Evo
  • #4,803
Evo, i just realized something: when we first talked to each other on this forum, the iphone did not exist yet

Damn time sure does fly by fast, no?

• #4,804
marlon said:
Evo, i just realized something: when we first talked to each other on this forum, the iphone did not exist yet

Yes, and we can have actual pictures and not just portraits for avatars ;).

• #4,805
WWGD, what does that stand for? Did we know each other here ?

Besides, that me in the pic

• #4,806
marlon said:
WWGD, what does that stand for? Did we know each other here ?

Besides, that me in the pic
No, sorry, just trying to get in on the joke on modernization, since your avatar seems like a portrait :).

• #4,807
Sorry bro, i just tend to look “antique”
Ladies like that, so i have been told

Likes WWGD
  • #4,808
marlon said:

Those were good times though. :smile:

• #4,809
Yeah, they were

Damn i just read that both marcus and arildno passed away in the last years
I both knew them here quite well
Marcus helped me out on LQG intro

Likes OmCheeto
  • #4,810
Is astronuc still here? And Borek?

• #4,811
marlon said:
And Borek?

Still kicking.

Likes collinsmark and WWGD
  • #4,812
Borek said:
Still kicking.
Aka: "I am still standing, Yea, Yea, Yea".

• #4,813
Why we love firemen!
5c7693945cb5f.image.jpg

"Ever wonder what happens when a car is parked in front of a fire hydrant and a fire breaks out?"

https://twitter.com/AnaheimFire?ref...itorial/330f7012-3a8e-11e9-9c7e-3f92f52c2449/

Attachments

• 5c7693945cb5f.image.jpg
    5c7693945cb5f.image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 318
Likes BillTre, WWGD and Borg
  • #4,814
Just been listening to Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, which I don't think I'd heard before. Can't believe how much he ripped off the Star Wars soundtrack. And the bits Tchaikovsky didn't take, that Holst joker put into Mars...

• #4,815
Ibix said:
Just been listening to Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, which I don't think I'd heard before. Can't believe how much he ripped off the Star Wars soundtrack. And the bits Tchaikovsky didn't take, that Holst joker put into Mars...
Yeah. Even Rubinstein said after he had seen his first piano that he had looted folk and other sources. So it seems quite typical for Tchaikovsky.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,816
fresh_42 said:
Yeah. Even Rubinstein said after he had seen his first piano that he had looted folk and other sources. So it seems quite typical for Tchaikovsky.
Leonard Rubinstein was called Len Rubinstein . Now that I am learning Python, I just call him 9.

• #4,817
Freshmeister: Did I beat you in obscurit-y in
my last post? (len(Bernstein)=9)

• #4,818
WWGD said:
len("Bernstein")==9, to be precise.

Likes collinsmark and Klystron
  • #4,819
Ibix said:

Into Mars? Whenever I listen to Neptune I hear Tatooine.

• #4,820
WWGD said:
Indeed.

• #4,821
If you-all find classical music confusingly derivative, take a peek at fine Art.

The post-Impressionists alone cause me endless confusion: Monet, Manet both influenced by Camille Corot (or was it Condorcet?). Vincent van Gogh was best buds with Paul Gauguin or was it Paul Cezanne? The we have Seurat, Serusier and Signac all utterly cool painters whose names I cannot pronounce. Luce, Lavall, Lautrec, and Lemmen. To add to the confusion, they paint portraits of each other and insert each other in crowd scenes.

Landscape by Camille Pissarro.

639px-Camille_Pissarro_016.jpg

Attachments

• 639px-Camille_Pissarro_016.jpg
    639px-Camille_Pissarro_016.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 332
Likes BillTre
  • #4,822
Klystron said:
o add to the confusion, they paint portraits of each other and insert each other in crowd scenes.
I only want to know: what did Miró and Kandinsky take?

Likes Klystron
  • #4,823
Ibix said:
Isn't it Len('Benstein')==
Anyway, my jokes are bad enough as it is to make them technically correct. I leave that for the programming section and give myself license in this one.

• #4,824
Wow. I was proud of my small proof that the product of 4 consecutive positive integers was never a perfect square. Then I heard Erdos et Al proved the product of consecutive positive integers _ is never a power of an integer_.

• #4,825
WWGD said:
Ibix said:

Actually in Python - both work OK.

That is, if works a bit better when you refer to him as Bernstein than Benstein, but let's not get too nitpicky.

• #4,826
WWGD said:
Anyway, my jokes are bad enough as it is to make them technically correct. I leave that for the programming section and give myself license in this one.

Oh man, I finally got it. I thought it was some kind of Cockney rhyming slang.

Cheers

Likes fresh_42, WWGD and Klystron
  • #4,827
cosmik debris said:
Oh man, I finally got it. I thought it was some kind of Cockney rhyming slang.

Cheers
That's how "good" my jokes are :).

• #4,828
Borek said:
Actually in Python - both work OK.

That is, if works a bit better when you refer to him as Bernstein than Benstein, but let's not get too nitpicky.
I want to win at all costs, so I will say len("Benstein") == 8

• #4,829
WWGD said:

License freely given. I have read that the Gran Maestro made jokes about his own name. When reporters shouted "Mister Bern-steen" he would turn and shout "stine!. That's birn-stine!". Or perhaps it was the other way around; I can never remember. :cool:

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
  • #4,830
Klystron said:
License freely given. I have read that the Gran Maestro made jokes about his own name. When reporters shouted "Mister Bern-steen" he would turn turn and shout "stine!. That's birn-stine!". Or perhaps it was the other way around; I can never remember. :cool:
Or we can make it otherwise: Let's convince Al Franken to hook up his daughter with Ben Stein's son...

Though for name's sake, I always wanted a congressional committee formed by Akaka, Sununu, Shalala: Akaka-Sununu-Shalala. Sounds more interesting than any other I have seen so far.

Likes Klystron