What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,761
WWGD said:
Only now I can't remember what I needed to buy!??!
Celery and peanut butter?

Likes Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,762
fresh_42 said:
Celery and peanut butter?
Can't tell, my psychic's on vacation.

• #4,763
WWGD said:
Can't tell, my psychic's on vacation.
Better than mine recently.
Me: I'm so happy today!
Life: Sorry, was at the loo. I'll deal with it asap!

• #4,764
When you realize you're in over your head with your current direction in research, now I'll focus my efforts in understanding Morita equivalence (of semigroups and rings), at least there will be surprises around every corner .. :smile:

Likes Klystron
  • #4,765
I just did a screen replacement on an iPhone 7. It was in some kind of rubber case which has left stains on the back of the phone. I've tried scrubbing with cotton wool and acetone, white spirits and isopropanol but neither of them worked :confused:

• #4,766
Someone asked me an interesting question: What percent of 0 is 0? The usual method he uses in class is that a is a percentage of b given by (a/b)100.

• #4,767
The answer is: Any percentage ##[x\%]## of ##[ \cdot ]## zero ##[ 0]## is ##[=]## zero ##[0]##. Thus his algorithm isn't applicable, as it assumes a unique answer.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,768
"Driving John style: one hand on a wheel" or "Driving John's style: one hand on a wheel"?

• #4,769
Either. It ain't exactly the Queen's English.

Likes OmCheeto and Borek
  • #4,770
Haven't answered the phone in two years, but was expecting a return call from the police the other day, so I answered it.
It was someone from Germany.
She's apparently an old friend of my mother's.
My mom died 26 years ago.
Never did get a call from the police.
Though, I think I mentioned it was a trivial matter.

• #4,771
Coincide: Killing of a coin?

Likes Ibix
  • #4,772
Feel like pounding someone when I use email setup in such a way that unless one is very careful, one may self-send an email. Who designed this?

• #4,773
WWGD said:
Feel like pounding someone when I use email setup in such a way that unless one is very careful, one may self-send an email. Who designed this?
This is the standard: all recipients listed will be served. To avoid this would mean an extra routine which checks the list. And some might want to self send an email. It's a convenient way to write a reminder. Plus that such plausibility checks increase the error probability and tend to grow like a cancer over the years.

• #4,774
fresh_42 said:
This is the standard: all recipients listed will be served. To avoid this would mean an extra routine which checks the list. And some might want to self send an email. It's a convenient way to write a reminder. Plus that such plausibility checks increase the error probability and tend to grow like a cancer over the years.
But I never include myself as a recipient. And the only one who ends up as a recipient is myself. This is what I have trouble with; not that I am a recipient but that none of the other 'non-me' original recipients are included in the reply.

Original Message
To: Recipient1, Recipient2,..., Recipientm

[Message Body]

To: Myself. Only, none of the recipients in original message included.

• #4,775
WWGD said:

Perhaps your email handler program on your device(s) or your email subscription service (gmail, hotmail, etc.) has a configurable switch (option) to inhibit automatic self-send.

My email config: While I compose an email a copy appears in a draft sub-folder. When sent, the copy moves to sent sub-folder. Unless I explicitly place my email address in one of the To: Cc: blocks, I do not receive another copy. Best guess: see if the backup copy Bcc: includes your address.

Likes WWGD
  • #4,776
Klystron said:
Perhaps your email handler program on your device(s) or your email subscription service (gmail, hotmail, etc.) has a configurable switch (option) to inhibit automatic self-send.

My email config: While I compose an email a copy appears in a draft sub-folder. When sent, the copy moves to sent sub-folder. Unless I explicitly place my email address in one of the To: Cc: blocks, I do not receive another copy. Best guess: see if the backup copy Bcc: includes your address.
Thank you. I think I phrased things confusingly: I am the only recipient of the reply despite not including myself as a recipient., none of the recipients of the original is a default recipient for the reply. Yes, I will have to check the settings, but these seem to be default settings since I don't remember choosing them at any point.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,777
WWGD said:
Thank you. I think I phrased things confusingly: I am the only recipient of the reply despite not including myself as a recipient., none of the recipients of the original is a default recipient for the reply. Yes, I will have to check the settings, but these seem to be default settings since I don't remember choosing them at any point.
Are you using the "Reply" command or the "Reply All" command? "Reply" shouldn't go to any of the original recipients, it should go to the original sender.

Likes WWGD
  • #4,778
If one could jump back in time; I would first learn colloquial German, jump back to 19xx, and warn Erwin Schrödinger
"Dude, no animal examples in physics. No cats or bats, no mice or lice." .

Likes WWGD
  • #4,779
Klystron said:
If one could jump back in time; I would first learn colloquial German, jump back to 19xx, and warn Erwin Schrödinger
"Dude, no animal examples in physics. No cats or bats, no mice or lice." .
Yes, why choose a cat ? Maybe cat is in the right Cat[] (category, or cat-egory)?

• #4,780
While we are at it, in case someone already knows the answer to this, I can look it up otherwise, but I have to dreg through all the trash and irrelevant results:

If I move email E into folder F, will any follow up email sent to me automatically land in F? Or will it land in my 'regular' inbox? Please reply only if you know it right away. EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. Yes, for Yahoo.

Last edited:
  • #4,781
No, there is no Gym (Jim) in the building but there is a James in 2B.

• #4,782
No, that was a coffee stain in the paper. Chichen Itza(Sp?), not Chicken Pizza.

• #4,783
PF is cool!

I started a small talk with a lady in front of me at the grocery store as she tried to help me putting things on the belt. She seemingly didn't understand me or whatever, but she replied in English. Thanks PF, I had not the least difficulty to instantaneously switch language. And British are so polite! She didn't even raised her eyebrow as I - what I realized later - answered in my American colored English and said "eather" instead of "ither", not to mention the melody of my sentences.

• #4,784
fresh_42 said:
She didn't even raised her eyebrow as I - what I realized later - answered in my American colored English and said "eather" instead of "ither", not to mention the melody of my sentences.
In Britain we've seen so many American films and TV programmes that we can (usually) cope with American accents without any problem.

Likes collinsmark
  • #4,785
fresh_42 said:
PF is cool!

I started a small talk with a lady in front of me at the grocery store as she tried to help me putting things on the belt. She seemingly didn't understand me or whatever, but she replied in English. Thanks PF, I had not the least difficulty to instantaneously switch language. And British are so polite! She didn't even raised her eyebrow as I - what I realized later - answered in my American colored English and said "eather" instead of "ither", not to mention the melody of my sentences.
Eather instead of ither. Did you also say poteito or potato? Tomeito/Tomato? But, by your own account , you did not call the whole thing off, it seems.

• #4,786
WWGD said:
Eather instead of ither. Did you also say poteito or potato? Tomeito/Tomato? But, by your own account , you did not call the whole thing off, it seems.
I've forgotten to buy tomatoes and she wasn't interested in my potatoes.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,787
fresh_42 said:
And She didn't even raised her eyebrow as I - what I realized later - answered in my American colored English and said "eather" instead of "ither", not to mention the melody of my sentences.
Much more importantly than any UK/US divide, how do you pronounce grass? With a short a like acid or long a like arsenic?

• #4,788
fresh_42 said:
PF is cool!

Just say Fahvernugen (most likely wrongly written) next time.Or act out the Sprockets theme from SNL, with the hand movements and dance.

• #4,789
DrGreg said:
In Britain we've seen so many American films and TV programmes that we can (usually) cope with American accents without any problem.
I had difficulty in the past understanding British regional accents and colloquial expressions, then in late 1980's PBS station KTEH began daily broadcasts of East Enders. I would tape 5 segments a week* and binge-watch on the weekends with friends.

After listening to pub-tenders Den and Ang arguing with fruit and veg seller Pete and wife Cath, I could even understand a crime drama set in Glasgow and the young Dennis Potter character (speaking Geordie?) in the series Singing Detective. While this is reminiscent of people 'learning' American English from reruns of Dallas, watching East Enders also helped me understand dialog in Shakespeare's plays.

*BBC originally broadcast two half-hour segments a week as 'soap operas'.

• #4,790
Ibix said:
Much more importantly than any UK/US divide, how do you pronounce grass? With a short a like acid or long a like arsenic?
My sister is a hard core Elvis fan, so I grew up with

But to be honest, I cannot really figure out the difference to

And, yes I know he's not English.

• #4,791
fresh_42 said:
My sister is a hard core Elvis fan, so I grew up with

But to be honest, I cannot really figure out the difference to

And, yes I know he's not English.

Maybe DeGrasse is greener with Neil(Tyson)?

Likes Klystron
  • #4,792
WWGD said:
Just say Fahvernugen ...
Guess this should mean joy ride (Fahrvergnügen - close enough!). Thank god I didn't mention anything like this. She has been on a greenish mission ...

• #4,793
fresh_42 said:
Guess this should mean joy ride (Fahrvergnügen - close enough!). Thank god I didn't mention anything like this. She has been on a greenish mission ...
Then try the Sprockets thing. Don't Germans do so anyway, like, daily?

Likes Klystron
  • #4,794
Ibix said:
Short 'a' pronounced like gas.
Mnemonic: the growling dog bit me on my ...backside... Grrr + ass. Oh, wait; that's arse in British slang.

• #4,795
Klystron said:
Short 'a' pronounced like gas.
Mnemonic: the growling dog bit me on my ...backside... Grrr + ass. Oh, wait; that's arse in British slang.
Your Grr +ass has two arse...

Likes Klystron