What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,866
WWGD said:
Still trying to control my promiscuous PC mouse that latches/clicks onto everything when someone farts in Western China.
I went over the mouse sensitivity, but no change in sight.
Optical (sensor failure), wireless (batteries), or ball (dirt)? It could as well be the browser, at least I had this error. A restart of the browser did it.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,867
fresh_42 said:
Optical (sensor failure), wireless (batteries), or ball (dirt)? It could as well be the browser, at least I had this error. A restart of the browser did it.
A 'hand' or sliding mouse. Thanks a lot, I guess you took a deep breath and my SQL Server opened up and even somehow ran a query. I told you it was promiscuous.

• #4,868
I am still trying to push for March 16: 3.16 as Square Root 10 day. Better approx than 3.14 for Pi day. But , to be honest, then we would have to celebrate 2.23 as Square root 5 day, etc.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,869
It's no better approximation, but anyway, only 5.25 counts.

• #4,870
fresh_42 said:
It's no better approximation, but anyway, only 5.25 counts.
## | 3.14 - \pi| > | 3.16 - \sqrt10| ##. Not sure of what you mean with the 5.25, unless you mean that ##5^2=25##, which seems to trivialize the issue, since then ##1^2=1 ##, etc.

• #4,871
WWGD said:
## | 3.14 - \pi| > | 3.16 - \sqrt10| ##. Not sure of what you mean with the 5.25, unless you mean that ##5^2=25##, which seems to trivialize the issue, since then ##1^2=1 ##, etc.
##0.00159265 \approx | 3.14 - \pi| \ngeq | 3.16 - \sqrt{10}| \approx 0.00227766 ##

I meant May, 25th, of course!

• #4,872
fresh_42 said:
##0.00159265 \approx | 3.14 - \pi| \ngeq | 3.16 - \sqrt{10}| \approx 0.00227766 ##

I meant May, 25th, of course!
Ok, my bad. Then I can still tell the lie that my great-great-great-great grandfather ( who was really my great-great-great grandfather, but he was really great) was born on March 14 1592 : 3.141592. And for that matter you than have 1/1, 2/4, 3/9, 4/16 and 3/9/690000 = (6/3/00)^2

Last edited:
  • #4,873
I have recently heard of a lot of cats' health being damaged because their owners try to "inflict" their vegetarianism on the cats. Cats have evolved as carnivores and seem to need nutrients from meat.

• #4,874
WWGD said:
I have recently heard of a lot of cats' health being damaged because their owners try to "inflict" their vegetarianism on the cats. Cats have evolved as carnivores and seem to need nutrients from meat.

Likes WWGD
  • #4,875
Ibix said:

No Tofu for me either. The closest I get to Veg is Indian food. Since I can't afford it, I will stick to meat, chicken. I never feel full -enough eating vegetarian.

• #4,876
The beef industry is already working on meat that tastes like tofu to attack the vegetarian market.

• #4,877
fresh_42 said:
The beef industry is already working on meat that tastes like tofu to attack the vegetarian market.
...And destroy the meat-eating market, unless they don't sub in and keep the meat. The thing, AFAIK.s that it is essentially impossible to make controlled studies in nutrition. For one, how to make sure participants are sticking to the diet. That is just one of the issues: how to make sure the diet is the main factor affecting the variable in question.

• #4,878
Ibix said:

(Sorry, I had to)
Meat Cat-astrophe?

• #4,879
This guy Sugar Ray has a song " " I just want to Fly"

I have trouble absorbing how someone can become so passionate about catching a fly, but I guess to each their own.

• #4,880
fresh_42 said:
Can we agree that areal sausage should be either beef or pig? I ate a sausage with parts of chicken, pork, and might as well have chewed on a piece of rubber; lacking consistency.

• #4,881
WWGD said:
Can we agree that areal sausage should be either beef or pig? I ate a sausage with parts of chicken, pork, and might as well have chewed on a piece of rubber; lacking consistency.
As a compromise, yes. I would have added donkey for the sake of traditional salamis, but beef and pig is definitely o.k.

They have a lot of sausages from turkey here in the supermarkets, but I always thought that they are especially for the turkeys, which we also have a lot. But strangely enough, I never actually saw a turkey on a farm.

• #4,882
fresh_42 said:
As a compromise, yes. I would have added donkey for the sake of traditional salamis, but beef and pig is definitely o.k.

They have a lot of sausages from turkey here in the supermarkets, but I always thought that they are especially for the turkeys, which we also have a lot. But strangely enough, I never actually saw a turkey on a farm.
From Turkey or made of Turkey ( take a piece of dust , import it from Istanbul)? I know some Turkish people are upset because the name of their country is used for some food. Maybe they can counter and name turkeys "US' in their country: I want a US sandwich! Sorry to kid, your English is ##\infty## better than my (10-word) German.

• #4,883
But the more surreal part was last year when , during Thanksgiving apparently Turkey* attacked a plane. ??!

*Country? /Animal?

• #4,884
The turkey sausages are made from not in turkey, but I cannot imagine a native buying it, at least not the real natives. Modern women certainly do. For me it is with turkey for turkeys.
WWGD said:
I know some Turkish people are upset because the name of their country is used for some food.
Do not send them over here, since we use the word for something even less pleasant: "etwas türken" = to "turk" something = to fake something. Hmm, fits to the sausages ... but the origin was another:

During the opening ceremony of the Kiel Canal in 1895 the orchestra played the national anthems of the countries of the various ships which came to the ceremony. Unfortunately, the orchestra didn't have the notes for the Turkish hymn, so they played Mozart's "Alla Turca" (KV 331) instead. They faked the anthem, and the word became a synonym since then.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,885
fresh_42 said:
The turkey sausages are made from not in turkey, but I cannot imagine a native buying it, at least not the real natives. Modern women certainly do. For me it is with turkey for turkeys.

With turkey for turkey by turkeys in US constitution, I think ( For the people...).
Turkey needs bacon's help to be "Sandwicheable"..

Likes fresh_42
  • #4,886
WWGD said:
With turkey for turkey by turkeys in US constitution, I think ( For the people...).
Turkey needs bacon's help to be "Sandwicheable"..
If in doubt, add bacon!

• #4,887
Took care of friend's dog while friend was out. Playe3d goh
Fetch
with a boomerang. Dog never caught on.

Last edited:
  • #4,888
WWGD said:
Took care of friend's dog while friend was out. Play3d ho fetch with a boomerang. Dog never caught on.

I'm interested to know how ho fetch goes?

Cheers

• #4,889
cosmik debris said:
I'm interested to know how ho fetch goes?

Cheers
It's a game for people who are impatient and have fat fingers, like myself.

• #4,890
Just read on CNN: "... the trio had to abseil down ..."

I can't stop laughing. This sounds so incredibly wrong, I break together laughing.

• #4,891
Oh, the forum's got a facelift. It's like moving into a new apartment .. can't find anything :D

Likes Klystron and Ibix
  • #4,892
fresh_42 said:
Just read on CNN: "... the trio had to abseil down ..."

I can't stop laughing. This sounds so incredibly wrong, I break together laughing.
Abseil? Deutsche CNN eist?

• #4,893
WWGD said:
Abseil? Deutsche CNN eist?
CNN international - in English. I was laughing so hard that I had forgotten to look what the video was about. I only remember that it started with a zeppelin and ended somewhere on a peak in the Alps.

• #4,894
fresh_42 said:

CNN international - in English. I was laughing so hard that I had forgotten to look what the video was about. I only remember that it started with a zeppelin and ended somewhere on a peak in the Alps.
What does Abseil mean?

• #4,895
WWGD said:
What does Abseil mean?
To climb down a rope - from a roof, a mountain etc.

• #4,896
fresh_42 said:
Few people think highly of CNN nowadays. Maybe other networks will advertise: "This is NOT CNN "

• #4,897
fresh_42 said:
Few people think highly of CNN nowadays. Maybe other networks will advertise: "This is NOT CNN "

• #4,898
Seil = rope, ab = down
I assume it originated from Alpine climbing. E.g. a team of climbers is called a "Seilschaft" = team on a rope.

• #4,899
Abseil away with me? Back to 90s?

• #4,900
WWGD said:
... but this is another question, and a political one. I seriously doubt that there is any objective discussion about CNN around in the states of today. I basically stopped watching as they turned into a 100% inner US affairs broadcaster - guess since when! However, it is not as bad as some people like to make it appear - for their personal reasons I'd like to add!

And CNN international is different from CNN US, although it's hard to recognize these days.

Last edited: