What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,901
WWGD said:
Abseil away with me? Back to 90s?
That's actually true: "sich abseilen" is commonly used as "to leave" - often with the perspective to do something better!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,902
fresh_42 said:
That's actually true: "sich abseilen" is commonly used as "to leave" - often with the perspective to do something better!

[/QUOTE]
Sich abseilen fur alter tv channel.

• #4,904
What do you expect? It is the same thing across the world: Those in the parliaments have absolutely no clue how internet works, they only pretend or even think they know. In fact they are preschool kids judging about the final exams.

Likes nuuskur and russ_watters
  • #4,905
I don't know if it is my imagination but after reviewing some measure theory , I heard the lirics: " I am (almost) every woman" ( No one plays songs from this century anymore it seems --I am Stressed Out") .

• #4,906
So there are finitely many women I am not? Sounds reasonable :DD

Likes WWGD
  • #4,907
Almost nowhere. EDIT: I assume the reason for older music is that we have not had a chance to filter out the good stuff from all the stuff playing. It takes time to do that; a general decision has been made of what is good from the 60's through around 2000, and this is what is played on the radio or piped in.

• #4,908
nuuskur said:
So there are finitely many women I am not? Sounds reasonable :DD
EDIT: "Maybe you are the one who makes it seem like there are infinitely many": bizarre statement: is it good, bad? I love these fence-sitters that seem to make sense but really don't and throw people off.

• #4,909
At any rate, don't be stressed out to wear the "Man in Tights" thing. Seems to make no sense in Summer; tights don't let the heat out.

• #4,910
Someone posted the question: Why do I need a Nas? Answer: So you have a place to Si Ton.

• #4,911
fresh_42 said:
What do you expect? It is the same thing across the world: Those in the parliaments have absolutely no clue how internet works, they only pretend or even think they know. In fact they are preschool kids judging about the final exams.
Why? Just because this congressperson hailed a taxi and told him: "Quick, take me to the Internet"?

• #4,912
There is only one country, Guyana, in the list of top 20 highest murder and suicide rate. I am sure there is a great story there, but have no clue of what that would be.

• #4,913
My parents want to visit my sister. My sister lives abroad. So I wanted to help them with the documents, online. I guess it turned out that there is no legal way to visit her.

• #4,914
My friend is Armenian. But his closure is Russian.

• #4,915
WWGD said:
My friend is Armenian. But his closure is Russian.
I had to gave up with the name (+ unclear id numbers, + too small fields, + ambiguous passport number).

Too bad if your name is Gauß, Schrödinger, Weierstraß or Gödel. No way to fill out the form correctly, and if you do a workaround (SS or OE), I guess homeland security won't let you pass because it is not what the passport says. How do Indian, Malaysian, Chinese or Russian people solve this problem? And my parents are definitely too old to try the Mexican border ...

They even asked for my parents parents names like in ...
"McCOY: I am ...McCoy, ...Leonard H., ...Son of David."

Damn, I'm going to tell them they shall meet in Toronto instead.

• #4,916
fresh_42 said:
They even asked for my parents parents names like in ...
"McCOY: I am ...McCoy, ...Leonard H., ...Son of David."

Damn, I'm going to tell them they shall meet in Toronto instead.
Maybe they prefer Tiberius.

• #4,917
I guess singing into my phone and hoping Shazam will recon the song shows I was bored. And ignoring how horrible my singing is.

• #4,918
corporate pilot said:
Hey, is that your helicopter?
Some of the stories this guy writes are absolutely hilarious. . . here's one of them.

Runways are for beauty queens:DD . :DD
As the airspeed indicator crept lower and lower, my friend sat straighter and straighter in his seat.

Likes DennisN
  • #4,919
I'm preparing to build a 1:600 scale version of the Star Trek U.S.S. Enterprise (a Revell model, about 48 cm in length assembled). I am thinking of painting it using airbrush, trying to get close to the original series studio model colors, where the hull color actually is a blend of gray and green. I am also considering putting in LEDs at all the windows/viewports if possible, which will be quite a job to do, since there are many of them on the ship :nb):

(Edit: By the way, https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/model-starship-enterprise-television-show-star-trek, which is about 3 meters (11 feet) long.)

33656722188_e87bd74bbc_c.jpg

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark, pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #4,920
DennisN said:
I'm preparing to build a 1:600 scale version of the Star Trek U.S.S. Enterprise (a Revell model, about 48 cm in length assembled). I am thinking of painting it using airbrush, trying to get close to the original series studio model colors, where the hull color actually is a blend of gray and green. I am also considering putting in LEDs at all the windows/viewports if possible, which will be quite a job to do, since there are many of them on the ship :nb):

(Edit: By the way, https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/model-starship-enterprise-television-show-star-trek, which is about 3 meters (11 feet) long.)

View attachment 241302

You can get very small different coloured strip LEDs that are pretty cheap on E-bayA Red LED where the engine/lithium crystal is obviously.

Please take some images when you have finished it. Suspend it from the ceiling turn the lights down/off and switch her on.It’s great to know this is what educated, qualified, professional grown men do in their spare time!

Likes BillTre and DennisN
  • #4,921
pinball1970 said:
You can get very small different coloured strip LEDs that are pretty cheap on E-bay
Thanks for the idea! That sounds interesting, particularly if they are flatter than the small diodes I was thinking of using and/or of I can split the strips to fit them to the individual viewports. I will check it out!

pinball1970 said:
A Red LED where the engine/lithium crystal is obviously.
I'm actually not a Trekkie (but I am a big fan of science fiction) so I have to look that up :smile:.

pinball1970 said:
Please take some images when you have finished it. Suspend it from the ceiling turn the lights down/off and switch her on.
I will :smile:. But it will probably take quite some time finishing it, partly since it will be the first time I use airbrush, and I expect to fail here and there.

pinball1970 said:
It’s great to know this is what educated, qualified, professional grown men do in their spare time!
:smile: The last couple of years I've been getting fond of building models, but I'm actually more fond of painting them, since I find it very relaxing. I've also got a whole bunch of Star Wars models (ships) which I will remove the previous paint from (they were painted by hand by me) and airbrush them instead.

Likes pinball1970
  • #4,922
DennisN said:
I've also got a whole bunch of Star Wars models (ships) which I will remove the previous paint from (they were painted by hand by me) and airbrush them instead.

I was never into star wars, I went to see at the cinema when it came out and got quite bored half way through!
I am still not sure If I have finished a full star wars film, probably not (ill probably get banned from PF for this comment)

Star trek (60s version) though absolutely loved and it terrified me too as a kid, that and Dr Who (John Pertwee – Tom Baker)
The music is great, really jazzy chords.

I will check your images when you put them up, happy modelling!

Likes DennisN
  • #4,923
pinball1970 said:
Suspend it from the ceiling turn the lights down/off and switch her on.
By the way, here is the same model built by another person, where he has fitted in lights. It seems he used "cold" white LEDs instead of warm white, while I am thinking of using only warm white or perhaps a mix of warm white and cold white, I don't know. But I think the "rotating" LEDs (or whatever it is) on the thrusters on his ship look very good. I wonder how he did that*. Maybe I should contact him and ask. :smile:

Enterprise NCC1701 REVELL 1:600 - lighting up
And here's another very nicely lit model:

1/2256 IMPERIAL STAR DESTROYER Model - CVS 1401 AVENGER
Length: about 72 cm / 28 inch
Illumination: about 1600-1700 fibre optics
Building time: about 9 month :))
* Edit: On a second thought, my guess it is a circuit with multiple LEDs (maybe RGB LEDs) which is controlled by a digital circuit which changes the lights continuously.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
  • #4,924
My friend keeps asking me for financial advise. I guess if you know Math, some science, you should know finance. Thing is I have done some research and any useful advice I could give requires me to have way too deep and personal knowledge of her finances, something I am uncomfortable with. But she insists, as if any useful advice could cover every/any conceivable financial situation. Sigh.

• #4,925
WWGD said:
My friend keeps asking me for financial advise. I guess if you know Math, some science, you should know finance. Thing is I have done some research and any useful advice I could give requires me to have way too deep and personal knowledge of her finances, something I am uncomfortable with. But she insists, as if any useful advice could cover every/any conceivable financial situation. Sigh.
You can generalize your advice so that she is at least aware of things that should be considered. Clearing up simple misconceptions can help a lot. For example, I have known people who think that they can't afford to contribute to their 401K. They don't get the impacts of pre-tax vs. taxed money. They often think that contributing $100 will reduce their paycheck by $100 - which is clearly wrong. I have also seen a complete lack of understanding of the long-term tax benefits of 401Ks such that when the money is withdrawn, a person's income is typically lower - which means that they will pay less tax on the money when they eventually withdraw it. Add that to the added growth of the money that would have initially been given as taxes and you end up with an awesome return on your money.

Likes WWGD
  • #4,926
Borg said:
You can generalize your advice so that she is at least aware of things that should be considered. Clearing up simple misconceptions can help a lot. For example, I have known people who think that they can't afford to contribute to their 401K. They don't get the impacts of pre-tax vs. taxed money. They often think that contributing $100 will reduce their paycheck by $100 - which is clearly wrong. I have also seen a complete lack of understanding of the long-term tax benefits of 401Ks such that when the money is withdrawn, a person's income is typically lower - which means that they will pay less tax on the money when they eventually withdraw it. Add that to the added growth of the money that would have initially been given as taxes and you end up with an awesome return on your money.
Thanks , this is more about investing some extra cash she has. She asks, e.g., what bank has the highest interest rates. I tell her that is a dead starter, she won't get much beyond a hundredth percent. I know nothing about investing.

• #4,927
She has a son in his 20s living at home rent-free. I told her to ask him to pay rent. The son is a good kid but has the Gaul to be telling me I need to tough it out, etc. I have been biting my tongue for a while...

• #4,928
WWGD said:
Thanks , this is more about investing some extra cash she has. She asks, e.g., what bank has the highest interest rates. I tell her that is a dead starter, she won't get much beyond a hundredth percent. I know nothing about investing.
While it's true that banks don't have decent interest rates, that doesn't mean that you can't get them elsewhere. For example, Charles Schwab offers an SWVVX investment that is basically an interest account with no real risk. It has account minimums and technically pays a dividend (not interest) but it pays better than the bank. They also offer a bank account with smaller fees and limits than regular banks. Start a new thread if you want to get into more details on investing and I'm sure you'll get more ideas. :oldsmile:

Likes WWGD
  • #4,929
I find it hard to believe how much the quality of cheap stuff has declined recently here. Even though I'm always sceptical about buying cheap stuff, I often fail to anticipate quite how bad it can be.

Today I bought two 12 inch desk fans and a 16 inch pedestal fan (from Argos in the UK) to prepare for the summer, as our old fans are getting unreliable and making more noise and getting hotter than they used to. What I did not expect is that the three speeds on the new fans are approximately 90% full speed, 95% full speed and full speed, as the pitch of the sound is less than a semitone (6%) apart for those settings. None of them is particularly quiet, and certainly not suitable for use in a bedroom or for example when listening to the TV. One of the new desk fans doesn't even start on speed 1 or 2, but merely hums unless it is first started on speed 3, but once it gets going all of its speeds are faster than speed 3 on the other fan!

In comparison, the old fans, which were also cheap and bought many years ago, are whisper-quiet and gentle on speed 1, more powerful but still fairly quiet on speed 2, and much more powerful on speed 3, which is many times faster than speed 1, not just around 10%.

The packaging was also quite surprising, as each desk fan came with a tiny nut and bolt loose separately in the cardboard box in which they came. It took me a while to find one of the nuts, which had worked its way under a flap and nearly fallen out.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #4,930
Jonathan Scott said:
I find it hard to believe how much the quality of cheap stuff has declined recently here. Even though I'm always sceptical about buying cheap stuff, I often fail to anticipate quite how bad it can be.

Today I bought two 12 inch desk fans and a 16 inch pedestal fan (from Argos in the UK) to prepare for the summer, as our old fans are getting unreliable and making more noise and getting hotter than they used to. What I did not expect is that the three speeds on the new fans are approximately 90% full speed, 95% full speed and full speed, as the pitch of the sound is less than a semitone (6%) apart for those settings. None of them is particularly quiet, and certainly not suitable for use in a bedroom or for example when listening to the TV. One of the new desk fans doesn't even start on speed 1 or 2, but merely hums unless it is first started on speed 3, but once it gets going all of its speeds are faster than speed 3 on the other fan!

In comparison, the old fans, which were also cheap and bought many years ago, are whisper-quiet and gentle on speed 1, more powerful but still fairly quiet on speed 2, and much more powerful on speed 3, which is many times faster than speed 1, not just around 10%.

The packaging was also quite surprising, as each desk fan came with a tiny nut and bolt loose separately in the cardboard box in which they came. It took me a while to find one of the nuts, which had worked its way under a flap and nearly fallen out.
Yes, it is a crapshoot. I have gotten really good deals from thrift shops but a few really bad ones. Bought some shoes for $20 that have lasted me some three years, among other good deals. Overall good deals but also bought something that fell appart right away.

• #4,931
First iced coffee drink of the year for me. My ceremony to mark the end of winter.

• #4,932
Sad thing of winter ending is the end of heavy, rich meals. They keep you warm in winter but knock you down when weather is warmer.

• #4,933
WWGD said:
Sad thing of winter ending is the end of heavy, rich meals. They keep you warm in winter but knock you down when weather is warmer.
Yeah, I even started to eat salad!

Strange thing this English language. I have been taught that what we usually write in one word is written in two (or more) in English. But this spell checker knows better and frequently forces me to remove blanks. Couldn't you make a final call? And then there are these nasty words which are the same, but have a different meaning. How mean is that?

• #4,934
fresh_42 said:
Yeah, I even started to eat salad!

Strange thing this English language. I have been taught that what we usually write in one word is written in two (or more) in English. But this spell checker knows better and frequently forces me to remove blanks. Couldn't you make a final call? And then there are these nasty words which are the same, but have a different meaning. How mean is that?
It's revenge for the 47-letter words in German : Goterdamerungesheidterwursterarbeiter...

• #4,935
WWGD said:
It's revenge for the 47-letter words in German : Goterdamerungesheidterwursterarbeiter...
C'mon! What difference does it make whether you write football stadium or footballstadium? You did it with foot and ball but excluded the arena.