What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #5,391
I cannot see anything wrong if confused with a collie. They are gentle and good companions. Oh, I start to see the difference.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,392
fresh_42 said:
I cannot see anything wrong if confused with a collie. They are gentle and good companions. Oh, I start to see the difference.
Some people don't like to be compared with dogs. Maybe because they would not come out looking favorable by comparison.

• #5,393
Unusual compliment.

I am talking with my friend, having some coffee , a third person comes up, asks for directions. I oblige and give him directions. My friend compliments me effusively on the way I gave directions: " That was a great way you gave directions". What should I say: " You've been doing a great job of drinking coffee so far"?

• #5,394
Windows has me hostage with its updates: Update now or Update in one hour. It won't give me any other option, certainly not, do not update, which is what I want. Same for last few hours

Likes BillTre
  • #5,395
WWGD said:
Windows has me hostage with its updates: Update now or Update in one hour. It won't give me any other option, certainly not, do not update, which is what I want. Same for last few hours

Microsoft has authoritarian tendencies.

Likes Klystron and WWGD
  • #5,396
WWGD said:
Windows 10 perhaps? That's why I'm still using Windows 7 with GWX Control Panel.

• #5,397
dlgoff said:
Windows 10 perhaps? That's why I'm still using Windows 7 with GWX Control Panel.
Yes, right, Windows 10. Do you get Windows 7 for free?

• #5,398
Minor annoyance: light switch from lamp by my bed not working. Went to sleep with a light bulb on in front of my eyes+ worrying about bulb overheating and catching fire. Unsurprisingly did not wake up feeling rested.

• #5,400
dlgoff said:
Yes. I think so. At least I did. Check here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/
Thanks. But I guess that would imply reinstalling all programs, maybe data files? While at it, wonder why minisoft does not "de-license" software from older versions so that one may have, e.g., Excel 2003 for free or at least for lower cost.

• #5,401
WWGD said:
Thanks. But I guess that would imply reinstalling all programs, maybe data files?
Usually Micosoft operating system software upgrades are fairly painless. But I'm not sure when "downgrading"; Windows 10 to Windows 7.

Likes WWGD
  • #5,402
dlgoff said:
Concur. So far reluctant/resisted installing Windows 10 on my work-laptop running version 8.2.

My issue with upgrading to W 10 includes not just installed programs and apps but also years back my brother-in-law spent a day installing and fine tuning widgets and what not. Professional job.

I also liked W 7 but this laptop came with W 8. Windows 10 was just becoming available but I am waiting for Microsoft to get the kinks out of the release :cool:.

Likes dlgoff
  • #5,403
WWGD said:
While at it, wonder why minisoft does not "de-license" software from older versions
Because people wouldn't upgrade. It is too often for the worse. W2003 Server ed. was the last reasonable OS.

• #5,404
fresh_42 said:
Because people wouldn't upgrade. It is too often for the worse. W2003 Server ed. was the last reasonable OS.
Isn't that an OS for SQl Server? Besides, I thought new CEO Nutella (Sp?) was doing a better job than Gates in general.

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #5,406
Wow, was that some guy coughing or a motorcycle that would not start? Didn't see a motorcycle around, so...

In another note, I hope I heard incorrectly that "Python 2.7 is being defecated". Yikes, what did it do to deserve that?

Last edited:
  • #5,407
Lord of cupcakes.jpeg

cupcakes anyone ?

• Haha
Likes nuuskur, Klystron, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #5,408
Monsterboy said:
View attachment 251763
cupcakes anyone ?
Lord of the cupcakes? Rings sounds better to me.

• #5,409
WWGD said:
Lord of the cupcakes? Rings sounds better to me.
The problem is, I can't make the rings at home.

Likes WWGD
  • #5,410
Monsterboy said:
The problem is, I can't make the rings at home.
I can't even make cupcakes.

Likes nuuskur and Monsterboy
  • #5,411
After almost a month resisting, minisoft won and my PC is updating. I am "looking forward" to a few hours of doing nothing.

• #5,412
Resistance is Futile!
Prepare to be assimilated.

Likes Klystron and WWGD
  • #5,413
BillTre said:
Resistance is Futile!
Prepare to be assimilated.
The expression of those who use minisoft seems like that of those heading for the bathroom while Mac users look more like those who just left the bathroom.

• #5,414
Two hackers meet in the street.
"Have you heard? If you play the newest microsoft CD backwards, you'll hear satanic verses!"
"That's nothing. If you play it forward you get Windows 10 installed!"

• Haha
Likes nuuskur, Craftek_Ana, Borg and 1 other person
  • #5,415
And the rehashed old one:
Only way microsoft can come up with something that does not suck is if they start making vacuum cleaners.

• #5,416
dlgoff said:
"downgrading"; Windows 10 to Windows 7
When I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10 my old scanner worked. But not with a new W10 laptop. All the Interweb sources said it was impossible to install that scanner. (The install failed with a "can't find file" message for a file that existed.)
The scanner works with Ubuntu, plug'n'play.

Likes dlgoff
  • #5,417
Arch linux, sailing without a hitch since 2014 in my laptop. No windows shenanigans necessary.

• #5,418
WWGD said:
The expression of those who use minisoft seems like that of those heading for the bathroom while Mac users look more like those who just left the bathroom.
...whereas Linux users look like they had a deep thought while in the bathroom... :olduhh:

nuuskur said:
Arch linux, sailing without a hitch since 2014
Good to hear -- smooth sailing in the bathroom. Yes!

• Haha
Likes WWGD and nuuskur
  • #5,419
strangerep said:
...whereas Linux users look like they had a deep thought while in the bathroom... :olduhh:

Good to hear -- smooth sailing in the bathroom. Yes!
Wait till you see the Ubuntu crowd!

• #5,420
WWGD said:
Wait till you see the Ubuntu crowd!
I used to run Ubuntu -- until they made that huge change to the interface (I forget what it was called).

When that happened I came out of the bathroom, still vomiting up bits of my guts, and quickly made a dash for the OpenSUSE stall.

• #5,421
strangerep said:
I used to run Ubuntu -- until they made that huge change to the interface (I forget what it was called).

When that happened I came out of the bathroom, still vomiting up bits of my guts, and quickly made a dash for the OpenSUSE stall.
So you _do_ get Ubuntu, my bad.

• #5,422
We got a category 1 storm alert. I imagine aussies be like 'Why the warning? It's just a cat-1 you sissy!'

• #5,423
There are no ATMs in the West Bank.

• #5,424
Confusing name for a couple: Sidney and Cindy. He may even have Australia as a last name, I guess.

• #5,425
Oh lord have mercy, I'm in love again. Infatuated at the very least..