What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,456
Smullyan, wasn't it? What did he do to remind you of him? Ask you what your friend would say if he asked him which door leads to certain death?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,457
Ibix said:
Smullyan, wasn't it? What did he do to remind you of him? Ask you what your friend would say if he asked him which door leads to certain death?
Edit, yes, Smullyan, @$%# auto (in) correct. No, he just physically looked like him, with his long, gray beard. Wanted to ask him if he could not shave it because hr was the barber of the town. The one who only shaved those who did not shave themselves.

Likes Ibix
  • #7,458
One of my favourite solutions to the two guards problem where one always lies and one always tells the truth comes from the Order of the Stick. Haley shoots one of the guards in the foot and he collapses, shouting "You shot me! I can't believe you did that!" His companion rushes to his aid, saying "No she didn't! And I totally expected that!" Which simplifies the logic problem somewhat.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
  • #7,459
Ibix said:
One of my favourite solutions to the two guards problem where one always lies and one always tells the truth comes from the Order of the Stick. Haley shoots one of the guards in the foot and he collapses, shouting "You shot me! I can't believe you did that!" His companion rushes to his aid, saying "No she didn't! And I totally expected that!" Which simplifies the logic problem somewhat.

Why not just shoot both of them, turn around, and go on your merry way?

• #7,460
This morning I woke up feeling highly energized. First I wanted to do my 30 minutes on the elliptical. Then 45 minutes of weight lifting. And finally, 30 minutes of swimming. So I decided to lie down until the feeling went away.

Likes collinsmark, BillTre and WWGD
  • #7,461
Should I feel bad about Ivy League graduates who cannot repay their student loans?:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/financ...t-pay-off-11625752773?mod=trending_now_news_2

‘Financially Hobbled for Life’: The Elite Master’s Degrees That Don’t Pay Off​

Columbia and other top universities push master’s programs that fail to generate enough income for graduates to keep up with six-figure federal loans​

Recent film program graduates of Columbia University who took out federal student loans had a median debt of $181,000.

Yet two years after earning their master’s degrees, half of the borrowers were making less than $30,000 a year.

The Columbia program offers the most extreme example of how elite universities in recent years have awarded thousands of master’s degrees that don’t provide graduates enough early career earnings to begin paying down their federal student loans, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of Education Department data.
Seems like an awful lot of debt to take on for a field that may not traditionally have strong demand of high-paying jobs (or, does it)?

• #7,462
Local newspaper, explanation of efficacy. Paraphrasing: "an efficacy of 95% is the same as saying for every 100 vaccinated people, 5 fall ill on average"

facepalm :(

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #7,463
nuuskur said:
Local newspaper, explanation of efficacy. Paraphrasing: "an efficacy of 95% is the same as saying for every 100 vaccinated people, 5 fall ill on average"

facepalm :(

am I stupid, or...?

• #7,464
It's more like for every 100 ill people, about 95% of them are not vaccinated. In other words, efficacy is identified with the proportion of vaccinated ill people among all ill people. Here ill = suffering from covid, specifically.

Last edited:
  • #7,465
yeah ok, fair enough

• #7,466
I saw that CNN had a story headline saying that Space tourism won't be affordable for the masses any time soon. Then I remembered a news story yesterday about how many people have been fighting with flight crews on airplanes. Maybe that's a good thing. :wink:

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking, Keith_McClary and BillTre
  • #7,467
Borg said:
I saw that CNN had a story headline saying that Space tourism won't be affordable for the masses any time soon. Then I remembered a news story yesterday about how many people have been fighting with flight crews on airplanes. Maybe that's a good thing. :wink:

Which brings to mind an interesting question: Has there ever been a fight in space? It wouldn't be hard to imagine someone losing it after 6 months on the space station!

• #7,468
I think sex would be more likely and more interesting!
Now that people are staying up there for 12 months, you could conceivably have a birth there too.
(However there might be health consequences for the baby!)

• #7,469
BillTre said:
I think sex would be more likely and more interesting!
In order to prevent that from happening they have decided they are only sending married couples from now on.

• Haha
Likes nuuskur, Borg, fresh_42 and 1 other person
  • #7,470
I realized sometimes my cravings for sweets were really a need to " cleanse the palate". So I just bought some Lindor bonbons. A single one meets my needs for the whole day, most of the time.

• #7,471
anyone else like LoFi?

• #7,472
ergospherical said:
anyone else like LoFi?
Is that one of the new MCU characters?

• #7,473

Likes WWGD
  • #7,474
WWGD said:
Is that one of the new MCU characters?
the eternals do look pretty cool though

• #7,475
Looks like the weather radar I frequently check became the victim of some kond of social engineering experiment.
At some point in the last drought the colors depicting rain density was adjusted so that now even a drizzle produced promising thick red patches (just like heavy storms before).

Felt like founding nothing in the extremely nicely packed boxes at Christmas.

• #7,476
I was weirdly upset at the fact that the ice in my drinks was melting too quickly. Now I leave ice cubes in the freezer overnight and then use them for drinks. I mean, I remove them from the ice tray and put them in a cup. We'll see how that goes.

• #7,477
Ok, seemed weird to see people from afar with the masks hanging. What the $#@ is that strip in the middle of the face? And now we have the mega headphones too, taking up the upper half of the face. Alien Invasion!

• #7,478
Had a nice weekend planned but my gf got sick. Darn! Darn! Darn! I was hoping she'd feel better today but she has a fever.

• #7,479
Cats does not know the word 'holiday'.

We have a week off. Lots of planning about finally having decent sleep without alarm and other holiday-stuff.
Just the cats... They ask for food (and petting and grooming and other cat-things) exactly at the same time as always - half past five. :cry:

• #7,480
Rive said:
Cats does not know the word 'holiday'.

We have a week off. Lots of planning about finally having decent sleep without alarm and other holiday-stuff.
Just the cats... They ask for food (and petting and grooming and other cat-things) exactly at the same time as always - half past five. :cry:
Yes, you were born to serve them. You haven't figured that out yet?

Likes fresh_42
  • #7,481
Ivan Seeking said:
I was hoping she'd feel better today but she has a fever.
There's a "hot date" joke in there somewhere...

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #7,482
Ibix said:
There's a "hot date" joke in there somewhere...
Some like it hot...

That was the line I missed. I should have responded that I always have a fever for her.

Likes BillTre
  • #7,483
Ivan Seeking said:
Some like it hot...

That was the line I missed. I should have responded that I always have a fever for her.
Cat scratch fever?

• #7,484
New request for feature for voicemail:
Ask caller to take handkerchief of mouth before saying "Call me ASAP".

• #7,485
I will never forget what's her name. Edit: I did not know it was a real thing. Definitely not a Googlenope ( Googlenope is not a Googlenope, btw)

• #7,486
Fernweh - I really want to go to Hogwarts 😞

1626686505107.png

• #7,488
One of my mates sent me a photo from Loch Schiel this morning which is the backdrop onto which they CGI’d the castle. And right next to it is the viaduct from the Chamber of Secrets (when Harry and Ron steal the car and almost get smooshed by the train).

That made me very jealous… the closest I’ve gotten so far is that Platform 9 and 3/4 sign at Kings Cross Station, but all I got out of that was a bruised elbow and some weird looks from the general population :rolleyes:

• #7,489
ergospherical said:
That made me very jealous… the closest I’ve gotten so far is that Platform 9 and 3/4 sign at Kings Cross Station, but all I got out of that was a bruised elbow and some weird looks from the general population
As long as you do not run against pillars ... It's a hoax. That only works at St. Pancras. :cool:

• Haha
Likes ergospherical
  • #7,490
Does anyone else get nervous like 20 metres before you get to a door, especially ones with weird handles, just in case you’re not going to be able to figure out how to open it and the people behind you will think you’re stupid?