What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,491
The higher risk to me is, that I approach a door that all of a sudden is opened from the other side. I am usually so absorbed in my thoughts that I regularly spook myself to death.

Likes ergospherical
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,492
Ohh or even worse, when you’re going through the door and you see somebody 20 metres away, and in a split second you have to decide whether to keep walking forward like a badass or instead to hold it and wait until they start that awkward run-walk, then force a “you’re welcome” and walk next to them in silence for the next half a minute.

Life is so hard. 🥺

Likes fresh_42
  • #7,493
ergospherical said:
Ohh or even worse, when you’re going through the door and you see somebody 20 metres away, and in a split second you have to decide whether to keep walking forward like a badass or instead to hold it and wait until they start that awkward run-walk, then force a “you’re welcome” and walk next to them in silence for the next half a minute.

Life is so hard. 🥺
I remember the ugly looks I got in an elevator. An old lady was trying to get in; I thought I was touching the ' open' button but accidentally hit the 'close'. The door then slammed into her to my surprise and I realized my mistake. Many though I did it on purpose.

• Haha
Likes ergospherical
  • #7,494
ergospherical said:
Does anyone else get nervous like 20 metres before you get to a door, especially ones with weird handles, just in case you’re not going to be able to figure out how to open it and the people behind you will think you’re stupid?
gifted.jpg

Likes ergospherical and WWGD
  • #7,495
ergospherical said:

Life is so hard. 🥺
It happens to me more often with hotel showers and sinks having weird designs so it's not even clear how to get some water.

• Sad
Likes ergospherical
  • #7,496
WWGD said:
It happens to me more often with hotel showers and sinks having weird designs so it's not even clear how to get some water.

For the first three days of uni I was convinced there was no hot water because for some reason you had to turn the thingymbob to the blue side instead of the red side for the hot water to come out. Like... um, what sort of sadist came up with that?

Likes WWGD
  • #7,497
ergospherical said:
For the first three days of uni I was convinced there was no hot water because for some reason you had to turn the thingymbob to the blue side instead of the red side for the hot water to come out. Like... um, what sort of sadist came up with that?
Probably the strange humor of an experimentalist. The following story has been told at my university: The student entered the exam room. The professor showed him a flower in a pot at the window. The room side of the pot was warmer than the side toward the window, although it was a bright and warm summer day. The question: Why?

• Wow
Likes ergospherical
  • #7,498
fresh_42 said:
Probably the strange humor of an experimentalist. The following story has been told at my university: The student entered the exam room. The professor showed him a flower in a pot at the window. The room side of the pot was warmer than the side toward the window, although it was a bright and warm summer day. The question: Why?

Professor blowtorched the near side 10 seconds before the student walked in? :oldconfused:

• #7,499
ergospherical said:
Knew a guy whose taps were labelled C and F (French - chaud: hot and froid: cold). The plumber fitted them then, as he was leaving, commented that he'd guessed C was for cold but couldn't work out what F stood for.

Fortunately, swapping the tops of taps usually only needs a screwdriver.

Likes ergospherical
  • #7,500
fresh_42 said:
The room side of the pot was warmer than the side toward the window, although it was a bright and warm summer day. The question: Why?
Prof turned it round. Although @ergospherical's answer is funnier.

• Wow
Likes hmmm27, ergospherical and fresh_42
  • #7,501
ergospherical said:
Professor blowtorched the near side 10 seconds before the student walked in? :oldconfused:
Almost. He had turned the pot.

Likes Frabjous and ergospherical
  • #7,502
Yep, I'll show myself out... 🤭

• #7,503
Another one was:

Professor: "Please explain the functions of a distribution board!"
Student: "I don't know, my mom never let me near it."

It has been told that he got away with it.

Likes ergospherical
  • #7,504
fresh_42 said:
Almost. He had turned the pot.
Isn't pot legal in Germany?

• #7,505
Merging songs: Eye of the Tiger in the Sky?

• #7,506
WWGD said:
Nope. Malheureusement.

• #7,507
WWGD said:
fresh_42 said:
Nope. Malheureusement.

Into what vessel do German people put flowers then?

• #7,508
WWGD said:
Merging songs: Eye of the Tiger in the Sky?

Here are two that I always wanted to merge in my memory

All we are is dust blowing in the wind.

Likes BillTre
  • #7,509
Ivan Seeking said:
Here are two that I always wanted to merge in my memory

All we are is dust blowing in the wind.
Halo , Say Lo Mein, Say Lo Mein. (Fiancee)

Last edited:
  • #7,510
Yes, I did have to flush the toilet, turn on heating, AC, ceiling fan before figuring out how to turn the fawcett on.

• #7,511
I am starting to mix up RT with Lame Jokes. My posts are very similar in both forums.

• Haha
Likes Klystron and Evo
  • #7,512
Speaking of flushing the toilet, my little and sister and I, on our first trip to France, after finding out that public bathrooms were just a hole in the floor, and toilets on the train were just a seat above a hole in the bottom of the train where you could watch the tracks go by under you. We were at my aunt's home and had to go to the bathroom, the first room had a toilet without a seat, we fiddled with it ARRGGH!, ok, not a toilet, it was the bidet.

Moving on, they must have a toilet, we found another door, AHA! A toilet, we went, but HOW DO YOU FLUSH IT? I look up above, no cord to pull, no foot pedal near the floor, no handle to push. Wait, there is a round knob in the middle of the tank. What on earth? I turn it, nothing, I press it, nothing, finally I pull it up and VOILA!

Don't ask about our adventures in bathing as we crossed the country.

• Haha
Likes Klystron, collinsmark, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
  • #7,513
Evo said:
Speaking of flushing the toilet, my little and sister and I, on our first trip to France, after finding out that public bathrooms were just a hole in the floor, and toilets on the train were just a seat above a hole in the bottom of the train where you could watch the tracks go by under you. We were at my aunt's home and had to go to the bathroom, the first room had a toilet without a seat, we fiddled with it ARRGGH!, ok, not a toilet, it was the bidet.

Moving on, they must have a toilet, we found another door, AHA! A toilet, we went, but HOW DO YOU FLUSH IT? I look up above, no cord to pull, no foot pedal near the floor, no handle to push. Wait, there is a round knob in the middle of the tank. What on earth? I turn it, nothing, I press it, nothing, finally I pull it up and VOILA!

Don't ask about our adventures in bathing as we crossed the country.
Same in Russia, although this story about France is probably an older one. I have had far more problems with American toilets. I never knew how to avoid bathing my you know what. It was more of an automatic bidet than it was a toilet. The nearest lake would have been quite as good.

• Haha
Likes Evo
  • #7,514
Evo said:
LOL! I was in a public restroom in The Netherlands and found myself in a similar dilemma. There was writing on the toilet but I didn't understand the words [I know some German but almost no Dutch]. Finally I realized that the only possibility was a pipe going from the toilet to the tank above. So I grabbed the pipe and pushed it up...AHA!

• Haha
Likes Evo
  • #7,515
Ivan Seeking said:
LOL! I was in a public restroom in The Netherlands and found myself in a similar dilemma. There was writing on the toilet but I didn't understand the words [I know some German but almost no Dutch]. Finally I realized that the only possibility was a pipe going from the toilet to the tank above. So I grabbed the pipe and pushed it up...AHA!
Now that, even I may have been in tears before I figured out that one. What's with all of these crazy toilets. Now I'm used to the self flushing public toilets. I guess I shouldn't assume these will be the case on my trip this fall.

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #7,516
Where you're going to?

• #7,517
Evo said:
Now that, even I may have been in tears before I figured out that one. What's with all of these crazy toilets. Now I'm used to the self flushing public toilets.
So you would flush before you could flush?

Yes, it throws me if I have to turn on a faucet or flush a toilet now. And that is making life at home very uncomfortable.

• Haha
Likes Evo
  • #7,518
  • Wow
Likes Evo
  • #7,519
fresh_42 said:
Where you're going to?
My youngest daughter is taking me through a tour of the Castles and ancient ruins of Scotland! Something I have always wanted. We will see the little fluffy coos https://whatboundariestravel.com/haggis-and-hairy-coos-a-scottish-language-lesson/ the famous cliffs and go to remote isles, we're staying at all of the famous castles.

AND I must see these moonwalking ponies!

Likes Keith_McClary and collinsmark
  • #7,520
Ivan Seeking said:
Holy Moly! My next car. I was hoping for a suborbital flight but this looks faster

1,727 horsepower and an incredible 2,581 lb-ft of torque.
$1,700,000
https://carbuzz.com/cars/koenigsegg/gemera
View attachment 286237
I remember that rich guy that got that super expensive one of a kind car, took it out and crashed it first thing. How can a car cost that much?

Likes Klystron
  • #7,521
Evo said:
:wink: My youngest daughter is taking me through a tour of the Castles and ancient ruins of Scotland! Something I have always wanted. We will see the little fluffy coos https://whatboundariestravel.com/haggis-and-hairy-coos-a-scottish-language-lesson/ the famous cliffs and go to remote isles, we're staying at all of the famous castles.

AND I must see these moonwalking ponies!

The ponies are funny, and maybe you get a shot of Nessie, but Haggis and fried Mars bars? Good that they sell sandwiches everywhere, so you'll always have a safe alternative. :wink:

• Haha
Likes Evo
  • #7,522
Just in case: Lagavulin is my favorite brand!

Likes Evo
  • #7,523
Ivan Seeking said:
Maybe words were written in Luxemburger ( and a bird was nearby)? ;).

• #7,524
I was sad by the launch today. To much talking by the commentators.

• #7,525
Gak! Despite doing tech stuff and enjoying it, it's not always fun in other fields. Like when asking for Apostilles. Is it necessary to provide the original, etc.