What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,561
fresh_42 said:
There is a documentary on tv about a 4 mast barque built in 1911. The ship has lately been in NYC for a long time, like a museum or so, and they brought it back to Germany where it was constructed. I wonder about its name. It is named after the capital of China, Bejing. However, Bejing in German is Peking. How did New Yorkers pronounce that ship and what did they think? Pee-King?
One of the words with many spellings. See too: Khadaffi, Khomeini.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,562
Saw a recent pic of Schwartzenneger where he seems in great shape. We can only conclude Photoshop has greatly improved over the last few years.

• #7,563
fresh_42 said:
There is a documentary on tv about a 4 mast barque built in 1911. The ship has lately been in NYC for a long time, like a museum or so, and they brought it back to Germany where it was constructed. I wonder about its name. It is named after the capital of China, Bejing. However, Bejing in German is Peking. How did New Yorkers pronounce that ship and what did they think? Pee-King?
We Americans (at least outside of New York City) pronounce it as "Pay-king" with a slight stress on the second syllable.
Ibix said:
I tried ordering thoughts, but it turns out that there are no hits for "thoughts" in Shopping, at least with DuckDuckGo.
View attachment 286510
Ahh, there be the problem, try Google.
Just the first page has pricing from USD $5 to USD $1500.

Here is an example:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/592170533/thoughts?gpla=1&gao=1&

:oldbiggrin:

• #7,564
I can't decide what's more embarrassing, my browser history or my calculator history. 😐

• #7,565
ergospherical said:
I can't decide what's more embarrassing, my browser history or my calculator history. 😐
My calculator history:
360px-TI-30-3682e2.jpg

Image credit: Loadmaster (David R. Tribble), CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Likes collinsmark, ergospherical and Keith_McClary
  • #7,566
Reminded me that I have spent substantial amount of time trying to find picture of this model.

ADMAN_L-0831T.jpg

Likes collinsmark and ergospherical
  • #7,568
fresh_42 said:
Puh! Here is my calculator history:

View attachment 286550

I still use my first calculator to do my taxes

Attachments

• 1627223891184.png
    1627223891184.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Haha
Likes collinsmark and ergospherical
  • #7,569
OK, my first non-electronic calculator was this:
pxfuel.com.jpg

Likes collinsmark, Klystron and ergospherical
  • #7,570
Ivan Seeking said:
Makes sense, I guess the IRS as well.

• #7,571
I still have the calculator I bought in 1976. It's in perfect shape, easy to use, and works great off of its little built in photoelectric panel.

Before that I had a job working for my dad on a Wang calculator. I also punched cards on a machine with with one of those drum cards. (It's hard to explain.)

• #7,572
Speaking of abacuses, I have an abacus sitting on my mantle that my uncle took from a dead Japanese soldier in WWII.

PS, I'm not as old as that makes me sound. My father had brothers old enough to be his father.

• #7,573
Ivan Seeking said:

DrGreg said:
OK, my first non-electronic calculator was this:
View attachment 286552

Hornbein said:
I still have the calculator I bought in 1976. It's in perfect shape, easy to use, and works great off of its little built in photoelectric panel.

Before that I had a job working for my dad on a Wang calculator. I also punched cards on a machine with with one of those drum cards. (It's hard to explain.)
Ivan Seeking said:
Speaking of abacuses, I have an abacus sitting on my mantle that my uncle took from a dead Japanese soldier in WWII.

PS, I'm not as old as that makes me sound. My father had brothers old enough to be his father.

We've had a member until last year whose first calculator was

csm_Keilschrift_01_b0d5555839.jpg
Guess he couldn't cope with our modern viruses.

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #7,574
Ivan Seeking said:

I somehow remember a line I heard from this lady some 10 years ago: " I have two sons ( ages) 23 and 2".

• #7,575
WWGD said:
I somehow remember a line I heard from this lady some 10 years ago: " I have two sons ( ages) 23 and 2".
11 children IIRC. 2 died as children. I never did get them all straight.

• #7,576
fresh_42 said:
We've had a member until last year whose first calculator was

View attachment 286555Guess he couldn't cope with our modern viruses.
That was also how we reported posts back when PF first started. It was the old chisel and camel method.

• Haha
Likes fresh_42
  • #7,577
And I was always asking myself why that mule stood in the corner of the report office. Now it makes sense.

• #7,578
Ivan Seeking said:
11 children IIRC. 2 died as children. I never did get them all straight.
Can't remember? That's what " Hey/Hey you, Hey man" was invented.

• #7,579
fresh_42 said:
And I was always asking myself why that mule stood in the corner of the report office. Now it makes sense.
The one with the mules? Wouldn't that be Muller?

• #7,580
WWGD said:
Can't remember? That's what " Hey/Hey you, Hey man" was invented.
There were a few aunts and uncles in our area and they were mostly part of our immediate family. But I only met some of them briefly as a child. We lived in California and they lived in SD. They were so old compared to my dad I actually thought they were great uncles LOL!

Likes WWGD
  • #7,581
Ivan Seeking said:
There were a few aunts and uncles in our area and they were mostly part of our immediate family. But I only met some of them briefly as a child. We lived in California and they lived in SD. They were so old compared to my dad I actually thought they were great uncles LOL!
Same with my great great great grandfather. Actually, he was just my great great grandfather, but he was really great.

Likes Keith_McClary and Ivan Seeking
  • #7,582
Google has a Doodle Island Games on its front page ...

(see you later)

• #7,583
Some day I'll figure out and get straight the relations between goat, sheep, ram, ewe, etc.

• #7,584
The business plan was so secret even the presenter did not know/understand it.

• #7,585
WWGD said:
Some day I'll figure out and get straight the relations between goat, sheep, ram, ewe, etc.
Mostly they are just friends.

Likes Ibix
  • #7,586
WWGD said:
[Accent=Billy Connolly]If ewe've goat to sheep tak a wee 'ram of whisky[/accent].

• #7,587
See the Coolidge Effect to understand the relationship between a ram and a ewe.

Then see how the effect got its name.

• #7,588
Ivan Seeking said:
Then see how the effect got its name.
Stay cool with Cal, indeed...

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #7,589
WWGD said:
The business plan was so secret even the presenter did not know/understand it.
Ah, Amway.

• Haha
Likes Klystron and Tom.G
  • #7,590
Ivan Seeking said:
Ah, Amway.
But he wants me to set up a database without " giving away the secret". I can't drive the point to him on how nonsensical that is.

• #7,591
WWGD said:
But he wants me to set up a database without " giving away the secret". I can't drive the point to him on how nonsensical that is.
I assume most here in PF have had to navigate the chasm between the technical and business worlds.

Likes Klystron
  • #7,592
WWGD said:
I assume most here in PF have had to navigate the chasm between the technical and business worlds.
Oh yes. I have more than once been given ##\dfrac{a}{b}## and ##\dfrac{c}{d}## and requested to calculate ##\dfrac{a+c}{b+d}##. Of course, it was hidden behind words like bonuses, indexes, or similar. But at its core, it was just that.

• #7,593
WWGD said:

Yes, you make money in the business world.

• #7,594
Tibetan Bridge of Curzútt
This four-hour walk in the hills along the right bank of the Ticino River, in the region facing the Magadino Plain, does not only offer a beautiful scenery, but also boasts several points of interest. The thrill of crossing one of the longest Tibetan bridges in Switzerland (270 metres); the discovery of the Romanesque church of San Bernardo, featuring a number of beautiful frescoes of 14th and 15th century; a visit to the old and beautifully restored housing cluster of Curzútt, testifying to the time when daily life mainly revolved around hillside activities.
https://www.ticinotopten.ch/en/trekking/curztt-tibetan-bridge

And being in the neighborhood - https://www.claviere.it/en/la-stazione/estate/ponte-tibetano-cesana-claviere/

• #7,595
Ivan Seeking said:
Yes, you make money in the business world.
I guess PMs are part of that bridge between worlds.