What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,526
WWGD said:
Apostilles
Apostilles? Half loyal follower of Jesus, half mythic Greek hero?

Likes Vanadium 50
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,527
Ibix said:
Apostilles?
The internet tells me it's a kind of internationally recognised notarisation. TIL...

• #7,528
Fla
Ibix said:
Apostilles? Half loyal follower of Jesus, half mythic Greek hero?
ky pastry filled with cheese and spinach. No, just the international equivalent of a notarized document. If you want to provide government of country B with official documents from country A, someone in country A must certify the autheticity of the document to a 3rd party. That's what apostilles are for. Since government in country B cannot detect if document is forged/copied. For example, a birth certificate issued in Greece to be presented to, e.g., the Japanese government, must be apostilled in Greece. Or you must send the cheese pastry ;).

• Haha
Likes Evo
  • #7,529
Ibix said:
The internet tells me it's a kind of internationally recognised notarisation. TIL...
Sorry to tell you but you will likely run into it offen dealing with the EU from now on.

• #7,530
If your last name is Steele, maybe 'Robin' is not the best name for a daughter ( Rob and Steal).

• #7,531
WWGD said:
I've bern following the chain of use of the bird " Turkey". It is called, of course, " Turkey" in the US; called " Hindi" in Turkish, and something like " Pago " in Hindi. Wonder if it completes a loop of translations.
In Bornea the proboscis monkey is called an "orang Belanda" [Dutchman].

• #7,532
Hornbein said:
In Bornea the proboscis monkey is called an "orang Belanda" [Dutchman].
Let's see if we can extend it. Not quite identical but there is a town in Algeria called Oran . Wonder how The Netherlands ended up associated with the color Orange. I can't think of other countries similarly strongly associated with a color.

• #7,533
WWGD said:
I can't think of other countries similarly strongly associated with a color.
How about these cookies:

amerikaner.jpg.webp

They are called Amerikaner here. The origin of the name is disputed, one version says it was because they were invented after WWII and reflected the fact that the GIs were black and white.

But, of course, there is also Ireland and Green!

• #7,534
WWGD said:
I can't think of other countries similarly strongly associated with a color.

Red China?

I'm not sure if it is OK to say that anymore, but that's what we called them before Nixon went there.

Then there's "White Russia" but that's a cocktail now.

• #7,535
We also use "black Africa" in contrast to all North African states.

• #7,536
fresh_42 said:
We also use "black Africa" in contrast to all North African states.
That's clearer than "African American", which may apply to an Egyptian living in Argentina , strictly speaking.

• #7,537
WWGD said:
Let's see if we can extend it. Not quite identical but there is a town in Algeria called Oran . Wonder how The Netherlands ended up associated with the color Orange. I can't think of other countries similarly strongly associated with a color.
Orang means "man." An orangutan is to them an orang hutan, which means jungle man.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G, Ibix, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #7,538
WWGD said:
That's clearer than "African American", which may apply to an Egyptian living in Argentina , strictly speaking.
An African (including Egyptians) living in Argentina would be an African Argentinian, (or more specifically, Egyptian Argentinian) .

An Egyptian living in the United States would qualify as being an African American, though, yes.

Egypt is part of Africa. The noun "American" commonly describes a person whose permanent residence is the United States, rather than North or South America. [Edit: and the adjective "African" describes someone with cultural or ethnic heritage from Africa.]

• #7,539
Bo Diddley said:
Where are you from?
Bo: South America
What's that?
Bo: South America
You don't look like no South American to me
Bo: I'm still from South America
What part?
Bo: South Texas

• Haha
Likes MikeeMiracle
  • #7,540
Bo knows.

• #7,541
It seems like someone (mis)reported a fire in Ireland.
main-qimg-60c4dc665c676a51b35e6fd1052d96b0.jpeg

• Wow
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #7,542
87.jpg

A proboscis monkey, known in its native climes as an orang Belanda [Dutchman]. (Indonesia was colonized by the Dutch.)

Likes BillTre
  • #7,543
WWGD said:
It seems like someone (mis)reported a fire in Ireland. View attachment 286403
Don't laugh. I once had an Irish friend and she was not very tall. But I never lost her in a big crowd!

• #7,544
fresh_42 said:
Don't laugh. I once had an Irish friend and she was not very tall. But I never lost her in a big crowd!
Unless you were in Ireland. Then you may have lost her more easily. Still, I think South England has the highest rate of redheads with around 11% .

• #7,545
Hornbein said:
View attachment 286415

A proboscis monkey, known in its native climes as an orang Belanda [Dutchman]. (Indonesia was colonized by the Dutch.)
Looks a bit like a Dutchman I know. Though he may not be too happy with the comparison :).

• #7,546
A chinese friend once told me that in his eyes, all european folks had huge noses.

• #7,547
gmax137 said:
A chinese friend once told me that in his eyes, all european folks had huge noses.
He should wear safety glasses. Or take a step back.

• #7,548
jbriggs444 said:
He should wear safety glasses. Or take a step back.
Why? We Europeans are Longnoses. Not as impressive as proboscis monkeys, of course, at least a bit.

• Haha
Likes Evo
  • #7,549
fresh_42 said:
Why? We Europeans are Longnoses. Not as impressive as proboscis monkeys, of course, at least a bit.
If our big noses are in his eyes, he's standing too close.

• #7,550
WWGD said:
Unless you were in Ireland. Then you may have lost her more easily. Still, I think South England has the highest rate of redheads with around 11% .
I heard people have trouble telling appart people of races other than their own. Even taking into account that race does not have scientific/biological basis.

• #7,551
  • #7,552
Big confusion trying to understand a paper when mixing up O(n) to be running time instead of the orthogonal group. Small confusion afterwards.

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary and fresh_42
  • #7,553
WWGD said:
Big confusion trying to understand a paper when mixing up O(n) to be running time instead of the orthogonal group. Small confusion afterwards.
##O(n)## is ##O(n^3)##.

Likes Keith_McClary and WWGD
  • #7,554
I rarely post here since I realized my thoughts are not so random, they follow a pattern.

Likes BillTre, WWGD and Ivan Seeking
  • #7,555
Borek said:
I rarely post here since I realized my thoughts are not so random, they follow a pattern.
If you roll dice every time you have a thought and post every time you get all sixes (or something - you could tune it to keep the posting volume manageable) then those would be random thoughts.

• #7,556
Borek said:
I know there is an ordered thoughts thread around here somewhere. But it hasn't been seen since the internet went high speed.

• Haha
Likes Hornbein, Tom.G and Keith_McClary
  • #7,557
Ivan Seeking said:
I know there is an ordered thoughts thread around here somewhere. But it hasn't been seen since the internet went high speed.
I tried ordering thoughts, but it turns out that there are no hits for "thoughts" in Shopping, at least with DuckDuckGo.
1627162369053.png

• #7,558
I can't believe there are still people getting tested for Covid 19 instead of Covid 21. LOL! What a bunch of dolts.

Likes Ibix
  • #7,559
There is a documentary on tv about a 4 mast barque built in 1911. The ship has lately been in NYC for a long time, like a museum or so, and they brought it back to Germany where it was constructed. I wonder about its name. It is named after the capital of China, Bejing. However, Bejing in German is Peking. How did New Yorkers pronounce that ship and what did they think? Pee-King?

• #7,560
fresh_42 said:
However, Bejing in German is Peking. How did New Yorkers pronounce that ship and what did they think? Pee-King?
Yes. There's a gag about the guy who orders #23 from the local Chinese and notices that there's a pair of eyes looking at him through the gap in the container. He tries to complain to the delivery guy who just says, "yes, you ordered #23, peeking duck".

• Haha
Likes BillTre and Ivan Seeking