What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,666

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,667
A bit of courtesy many ignore is elaborating when sending a message ( text , email, etc), saying something along the lines of " I need to talk to you". The person receiving it starts frantically backtracking over all things they could have possibly done wrong at some point.

• #7,668
fresh_42 said:
But you miss all the things you found on your way during these hours! I simply think that it is knowledge that didn't come to stay.
When I have been forced to use textbooks for my work in recent years, I find myself instinctively trying to hit Ctrl-F.

• Haha
Likes collinsmark
  • #7,669
Windows 10 seems to have decided to hide battery setings on the task bar ?? Found out at the last minute battery was terminally low.

• #7,670
WWGD said:
Windows 10 seems to have decided to hide battery setings on the task bar ?? Found out at the last minute battery was terminally low.
I assume you can change the order by drag and drop to get it back from the list to the task bar. Yep.

• #7,671
If you saw an alien spacecraft land near you, which way would you run, towards it or away from it?

• #7,672
Ivan Seeking said:
If you saw an alien spacecraft land near you, which way would you run, towards it or away from it?
Into it. Way too curious how they solved the problem with the distances.

Likes Frabjous, Ivan Seeking and Tom.G
  • #7,673
fresh_42 said:
I assume you can change the order by drag and drop to get it back from the list to the task bar. Yep.
Drag from where? What list?

• #7,674
WWGD said:
Drag from where? What list?
1627965977085.png

• #7,675
fresh_42 said:
Yes, but I looked for it and could not find it. Maybe I overlooked it. Thanks, will try again tomorrow.

• #7,676
I was sitting at the cafe facing the door and it was raining outside. People would walk in and do a small jump to wipe their feet. It felt like they were all doing a sort of homage to me. Maybe I am a narcissist or something. It seems like the latest fashionable word.

• #7,677
fresh_42 said:
They use alien burger fuel. Terra burgers here on earth.

• #7,679
Ivan Seeking said:

fresh_42 said:
Here is your chance!
Alien Spacecraft-2.png

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20445002There is was also one for sale in Christchurch, New Zealand as of November, 2020.
l-and-is-sure-to-turn-heads-wherever-it-lands-next.jpg

https://www.dwell.com/article/futur...land-real-estate-2321cd1a/6729758124361347072

PLEASE, PLEASE, Let Us Know What You Find!

Likes BillTre
  • #7,680
WWGD said:
I was sitting at the cafe facing the door and it was raining outside. People would walk in and do a small jump to wipe their feet.
If it keeps raining, the doormat will get soaked and it will splatter mud when they do that.

• #7,681
Keith_McClary said:
If it keeps raining, the doormat will get soaked and it will splatter mud when they do that.
Then I won't consider it a small homage ;).

• #7,682
Leaving a clear, understandable message in an answering machine seems a skill not many have ( possibly including myself). I'm still trying to set up my visual voicemail though given the high failure rate of auto correct, not holding my breath.

• #7,683
In order to help with Covid, the Who is giving a concert in benefit of the Who. Maybe one of the two should call itself " The Whom"

• #7,684
fresh_42 said:
Thank you, oh, witch doctor. Battery button is magically on display today. Which doctor taught you to be a witch doctor?

• #7,685
WWGD said:
Thank you, oh, witch doctor. Battery button is magically on display today. Which doctor taught you to be a witch doctor?
Dr. Chip Munks

• #7,686
Ivan Seeking said:
I would not run in any direction. I would quietly assess the situation and slowly approach the object; circling for a better inspection, if safe.

• #7,687
Klystron said:
I would not run in any direction. I would quietly assess the situation and slowly approach the object; circling for a better inspection, if safe.
And you would know if it isn't safe because... you know an alien anti-gluon beam when you see one?

• Skeptical
Likes Klystron
  • #7,688
fresh_42 said:
Are you betting [your life] that they are not hostile based on logic, or is the temptation too great to resist, no matter the consequences?

• #7,689
Ivan Seeking said:
Are you betting [your life] that they are not hostile based on logic, or is the temptation too great to resist, no matter the consequences?
We believe that physics is the same in the entire universe. I think that biological mechanisms are, too. Nobody would take the effort to contact a pale blue dot in the suburbs with a hostile attitude. There are easier targets nearby. Therefore they will brag with their car and ask for beer.

• Haha
Likes Frabjous, Ivan Seeking, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #7,690
I remember an argument to the effect that a species of ETs that had managed to survive and travel across galaxies must have done so through cooperation within themselves so that they had likely overcome more base instincts and tendencies. So they were likely peaceful.

This from a book I recently picked up from the resale bin, which I recommend " Why Things Are", by J. Achenbach, a journalist for the Miami Herald. The book was written in 1990.

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #7,691
fresh_42 said:
We believe that physics is the same in the entire universe. I think that biological mechanisms are, too. Nobody would take the effort to contact a pale blue dot in the suburbs with a hostile attitude. There are easier targets nearby. Therefore they will brag with their car and ask for beer.
According to Whitley Strieber they like strawberry ice cream. :oldbiggrin:

What motivates the question is a real event with a UFO - a UFO I made. It was for the finale the last night of a space camp theme for the cub scouts. We had been building the story all week. By the last night the kids were primed for something but they didn't know what yet. They just knew the aliens were supposed to make an appearance. It was in fact the sudden appearance of an ominous black UFO with strange looking wings, flashing lights, and UFO sounds over the PA system. [I made this out of an 8ft weather balloon filled with helium. We controlled it using fishing line]

When I deployed the UFO, I looked over and saw a wall of about 50 kids completely out of control and coming right at me like a stampeding herd. But 3 kids ran the other direction. It took an hour to find one of them!

Likes Hornbein
  • #7,692
Ivan Seeking said:
And you would know if it isn't safe because... you know an alien anti-gluon beam when you see one?
Your original question stipulates the observer knows the UFO is 'alien' without explaining how.

• #7,693
Klystron said:
Your original question stipulates the observer knows the UFO is 'alien' without explaining how.
The license plates

• Haha
Likes Hornbein and Klystron
  • #7,694
Ivan Seeking said:
The license plates
Ah! That is why they are far more often seen in the US than in Germany. We do not have so much space, and chances are high that they get a ticket for parking in the wrong place.

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #7,695
You can see ETs through the windows.

1628098025864.png

• #7,696
fresh_42 said:
Ah! That is why they are far more often seen in the US than in Germany. We do not have so much space, and chances are high that they get a ticket for parking in the wrong place.
Some how they are only detected by drunks or people with apparently mental issues.

• #7,698
Here are two cases where large groups of kids at least though they saw an alien UFO land nearby.

Among 60 kids, some ran right up to it in this instance, although many ran towards and kept distance.

And among 200 kids, mainly a few ran up really close to it in this case.

In both cases, the people who ran up to it closest were girls.

Last edited:
  • #7,699
How do you explain to people , re IT work and other wise " It only took you 2 hours to fix, why do you charge so much?". Well, then take it to someone less qualified/experience and wait for 3 days, with questionable results.

• #7,700
WWGD said:
How do you explain to people , re IT work and other wise " It only took you 2 hours to fix, why do you charge so much?". Well, then take it to someone less qualified/experience and wait for 3 days, with questionable results.
Yours is a favorite retort from 'repairmen' concerning service cost. Experienced repair people often charge double not only for the original job but for the inevitable returns and secondary fixes, as if a repair made the repairman responsible for the continuing life of the object.

Likes WWGD