What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,701
Klystron said:
Yours is a favorite retort from 'repairmen' concerning service cost. Experienced repair people often charge double not only for the original job but for the inevitable returns and secondary fixes, as if a repair made the repairman responsible for the continuing life of the object.
And all of us, out of necessity, inhabit both worlds.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,702
Was apparent spam,
[QUOTE ="christianaantiga, post: 6524311, member: 693049"]
I have a farm that needs maintaining constantly, and getting some kind of help with that seems necessary now. [/ QUOTE]
but it's worth a lesson in economic analysis.

Sounds like there is some kind of need. How large is the farm (acreage, or sq km)? What kind of loads need to moved and how often? How many hours a week/month/year? What is the cost of your time?

For example, if one's time is $100/hr and one spends 500 hours using a shovel, but using a backhoe would take 100 hrs, then the different 400 hrs * $100/hr = $40 k. It might be worthwhile purchasing a backhoe.

If on the other hand, the time differential was 50 hours, or a value of $5 k, then it may not be worthwhile, unless one can find an inexpensive backhoe. Then there are the fuel and maintenance costs, and depending on the condition of the backhoe, there might be a salvage/resale value to consider.

• #7,703
I feel slightly guilty when drawing a sigh of relief while seeing a fire truck driving away from the direction of my place: " Phew, it is someone else's place that is burning".

• #7,704
What do you say to\about someone you suggest to meet at 2 and they reply: 2 p.m? Cant remember last I met someone at 2 a.m.

• #7,705
WWGD said:
What do you say to\about someone you suggest to meet at 2 and they reply: 2 p.m? Cant remember last I met someone at 2 a.m.
Ask if they're late to bed or early to rise.

• #7,706
Ibix said:
Ask if they're late to bed or early to rise.
Or: How many grams/kilos are you in for?

• #7,707
Domain spoofing. Saved my friend from buying his pc from a spoofed dominican website. Inadom.com . Finnicky guy wanted to change time display to look like an analog clock.

Wonder if people born after 2000 or so, familiar with digital watches/clocks know what " clockwise" means.

Last edited:
  • #7,708
WWGD said:
I feel slightly guilty when drawing a sigh of relief while seeing a fire truck driving away from the direction of my place: " Phew, it is someone else's place that is burning".
Most of the runs aren't fires. Lots of things like false alarms and car accidents (they carry the jaws of life).

Likes WWGD
  • #7,709
Borg said:
Most of the runs aren't fires. Lots of things like false alarms and car accidents (they carry the jaws of life).
Yes, now I remember hearing of people calling 911 and F. D because they could not find their cat/dog.

• #7,710
I once spent the night trying to catch a nap on top of a firetruck waiting for the all clear after a report of gas at a retirement home. The best we could figure was that an incontinent resident was hanging around the ventilation intake. :wink:

I was a volunteer for about a year but I'll bet @berkeman has lots of better stories.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
  • #7,711
Whenever I think of a major fire, I think of the catastrophic fire in and around Paradise Ca., where something around 80 people were burned alive in their cars on the road out, or in their homes.

When I was a senior in HS, I drove that road to work every day, to a restaurant on that road just outside of Paradise. I can still see it clearly in my mind's eye. It is hard to imagine the horror that took place along that stretch.

Trivia: Gary Burghoff who played Radar on MASH, lived in Paradise.

• #7,712
It was the Basque Norte Restaurant, which later relocated to a nearby town, Chico Ca. They have THE best marinade! It was authentic Basque cooking and I've never had anything like it since. You can buy it online now.
http://www.basquenorte.com/

I have no idea if the current product is the same as the original. But I ate there many years later and it was still the same then.

Long beef tongues hanging in the freezer will set you back at first. :)) But it was a hugely popular steak house and working there for the free food alone was worth it. Everything they had was unique and incredibly tasty.

Likes Klystron
  • #7,713
Borg said:
Also to deal with spills, and sometimes to help with medical issues. My neighbor the volunteer fire department chief said they only had a couple of fires per year. There was a municipal program to mark all properties with their address for emergency services. His comment was "If we can't find you, you don't need us."

• #7,714
I called the fire brigade to a fire once. One of my neighbours had decided to dispose of some garden rubbish in a bonfire which he'd built at the end of his garden right underneath a rather large leylandii, which promptly caught fire. Turns out trees are made of wood - who knew?

• #7,715
Ivan Seeking said:
If you saw an alien spacecraft land near you, which way would you run, towards it or away from it?
If they have technology that advanced and care about you then running won't do you no good. Might as well satisfy my curiousity. I'd quick get behind a cactus or a rock before the ship cools down. Then I'd take a video with my phone. Most likely I'll be detected -- even Earth technology can do that -- but with luck they won't think I'm a threat. If they abduct and perform experiments on me, well, I always was interested in exotic cultures. Can't pass up an opportunity like that.

I defy you to name a more dramatic "way to go."

• Haha
Likes BillTre and Tom.G
  • #7,716
WWGD said:
How do you explain to people , re IT work and other wise " It only took you 2 hours to fix, why do you charge so much?". Well, then take it to someone less qualified/experience and wait for 3 days, with questionable results.

Quite often you aren't really paying someone to serve you. You are paying them for all that waiting around for a customer to come by.

• #7,717
Ivan Seeking said:
Trivia: Gary Burghoff who played Radar on MASH, lived in Paradise.
Huh. One of the few famed actors I ever saw in real life. He was taking a bike ride on West Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz, CA. His automobile said "Radar" on it somewhere so it was a positive ID.

Yul Brynner was having lunch at the Squaw Valley, CA ski resort. I stared at him and he stared back. Only later did I realize who it was. Then there was Robert McNamara at lunchtime in Vail, CO. I didn't recognize him but the guy next to me did and told RM what a great job he was doing. RM nodded and said "Thanks."

As a tourist in Spain we quite accidentally came across the King of Spain entering a cathedral. It had been kept secret due to the separatist terrorist threat. He shook hands with the crowd, including me and said something to me I couldn't understand. He was the tallest Spaniard I was to see. (The refugees from Sudan are very big and tall.) My Spanish relatives didn't believe it until we showed them the photos. "I've lived in Spain my whole life and never saw King Philippe."

Last edited:
  • #7,718
Hornbein said:
Quite often you aren't really paying someone to serve you. You are paying them for all that waiting around for a customer to come by.

And in case the wait time approaches the local definition of infinite, depending on where you are, the government will often pay you to stop waiting for those 'customers' or 'employers.'

What a life!

• #7,719
Hornbein said:
Huh. One of the few famed actors I ever saw in real life. He was taking a bike ride on West Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz, CA. His automobile said "Radar" on it somewhere so it was a positive ID.

Yul Brynner was having lunch at the Squaw Valley, CA ski resort. I stared at him and he stared back. Only later did I realize who it was. Then there was Robert McNamara at lunchtime in Vail, CO. I didn't recognize him but the guy next to me did and told RM what a great job he was doing. RM nodded and said "Thanks."

As a tourist in Spain we quite accidentally came across the King of Spain entering a cathedral. It had been kept secret due to the separatist terrorist threat. He shook hands with the crowd, including me and said something to me I couldn't understand. He was the tallest Spaniard I was to see. (The refugees from Sudan are very big and tall.) My Spanish relatives didn't believe it until we showed them the photos. "I've lived in Spain my whole life and never saw King Philippe."
I've read he's ( Felipe) 6'5". His father was very tall too. Father seems to have gotten caught up in some scandals. Not likely to appear anymore in the pages of " Hola" magazine.

• #7,720
Hornbein said:
He was riding a bike but his automobile said Radar? He lived in Paradise for many years. Dunno...

IIRC, he was known locally as a talented painter.
Hornbein said:

I used to run into stars from time to time. Having grown up in Los Angeles it was fairly common. I almost ran over Danny DeVito on my bicycle, had a neighbor who dated Prince, took a pee with Jimmy Walker... if I thought about it I could probably name another half a dozen encounters.

The saddest one was Karen Carpenter, who was a very popular singer. I loved her music. I happened to be working on a CAT Scanner at the hospital when she was brought in and died a few minutes later.

The coolest one was Michael Landon. I had a chance to sit and talk with him a bit when I was about 13 years old. That was a huge deal then. LOL!

• #7,721
My only encounter with celebrities. I once a while back saw Robert " No Tengo" De Niro , glanced at him a bit but did nothing else since I assuming he wanted privacy.

• #7,722
Wonder what it's like living in some of the tiny countries like Malta. Largest island is 61 sq miles. You walk around 3 miles straight in any direction, you hit the sea. Wonder what region of the plain with fixed area A maximizes average distance of a point to the boundary of the region. A circle?

• #7,723
I sat next to Mr Gilbert from the inbetweeners at the pub 5 mins ago lol

• #7,724
ergospherical said:
I saw this guy long ago, from the news ,who always opened up with the line " Hello America". I shouted " Hello , Erica".

• #7,725
ergospherical said:
Who was on the other side of him?

• Haha
Likes ergospherical
  • #7,726
Ivan Seeking said:
He was riding a bike but his automobile said Radar? He lived in Paradise for many years. Dunno...

He was standing next to his automobile getting ready to ride off on his bike. He could have been visiting as a tourist.

Karen Carpenter played trap drums quite well in Max Roach style. She said she considered herself more a drummer than a singer. She didn't work at singing, wasn't even that interested, just did it because her brother needed a singer.

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #7,727
WWGD said:
Wonder what it's like living in some of the tiny countries like Malta. Largest island is 61 sq miles. You walk around 3 miles straight in any direction, you hit the sea. Wonder what region of the plain with fixed area A maximizes average distance of a point to the boundary of the region. A circle?
I'd be inclined to think that if the region has fixed area then a circle would minimize the average distance to the boundary. A spaghetti shaped region with that same surface area can have arbitrarily large average distance to the boundary.

I've been to Kauai. Life revolves around the beaches. I'm told there is such a thing as "island fever" where people can't stand it any more.

• #7,728
The summer of my sophomore year of high school, I worked for a then famous horse racing track - Hollywood Park. One of the many interesting jobs I had was to wait for the end of the races at night. Then I had to drive like a maniac to get a video tape copy of the races to the ABC, NBC, and CBS newsrooms, in Los Angeles, in time for the 10 (or 11?) PM news. There was only one tape so I had to wait for the sports reporter at each station to make a copy, then rush to the next newsroom. I had a chance to meet most of our local news anchors and reporters. Years later, the most famous of those was Connie Chung.

The rest of the story of my days at Hollywood Park are not something I should get into in a family forum. But suffice it to say that many years later it all came into focus. I learned that back when I was working there, it was run by the mob. They were trying to recruit me. Eventually I realized something was terribly wrong and got the heck out of there before I got in too deeply. But for a time I thought I had the coolest job in the world - with the coolest perks anyone my age had ever seen.

I can say this much, someone was always handing me $100 bills. And after the races we would go to a very exclusive, insanely expensive restaurant in downtown Hollywood; so exclusive that it wasn't even marked. No sign. No windows. Nothing. If you didn't know it was there you would walk right past it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes collinsmark
  • #7,729
Hornbein said:
Karen Carpenter played trap drums quite well in Max Roach style. She said she considered herself more a drummer than a singer. She didn't work at singing, wasn't even that interested, just did it because her brother needed a singer.
If she had only been a drummer she would be Karen who...? She had one of the most beautiful voices of her time.

They lived pretty close to me to the East. And just to the West we had the guys from the band War.

When I was in HS, a little boy future Snoop Dog lived just across the street. My theory is he was running drug deals with his Tonka trucks.

• #7,730
Ivan Seeking said:
If she had only been a drummer she would be Karen who...? She had one of the most beautiful voices of her time.

They lived pretty close to me to the East. And just to the West we had the guys from the band War.

When I was in HS, a little boy future Snoop Dog lived just across the street. My theory is he was running drug deals with his Tonka trucks.
Or maybe one of his imitations:
main-qimg-904a596493407bb31fbe34c755631468.jpeg

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #7,731
Ivan Seeking said:
Who was on the other side of him?
Or who was in between him and the inbetweener?

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #7,732
WWGD said:
Or maybe one of his imitations:View attachment 287190

Heh, no, I had no idea until I happened to see an interview with him some years ago. He talked about growing up and where he lived.

My HS was right on the Compton border. I was afraid for my life every day.

• #7,733
When I heard a car coming down the street blasting this song, my heart would start racing. While our neighborhood was a very safe place for my early childhood, suddenly it was turning into gangland. Funny because I like the song now. But back then it put me into fight or flight mode. Not good to encounter a gang. And having that song blasting was a trademark. This music video was made in the area where I grew up back then.

• #7,734
Ivan Seeking said:
When I heard a car coming down the street blasting this song, my heart would start racing. While our neighborhood was a very safe place for my early childhood, suddenly it was turning into gangland. Funny because I like the song now. But back then it put me into fight or flight mode. Not good to encounter a gang. And having that song blasting was a trademark. This music video was made in the area where I grew up back then.

It says " Video Unavailable".

• #7,735
WWGD said:
It says " Video Unavailable".
Just click where it says, watch on YouTube