What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #2,976
Some of the power soups (Pho) full of meat, etc. , steaming, seems ready-made for a cold Winter; I don't see how it can be popular in countries ( SE Asia) without cold Winters, maybe without Winters at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,977
BillTre said:
Maybe they were just being nice, but I liked it.
As I understand it, a lot of MDs have had some exposure to research work. Generally, they hate it. Fair enough - if they wanted to be scientists they'd have signed up for a science program. They just want to do the job, and have little interest in rewriting its rulebook. But medicine has come an enormous long way in the last century or so, and medics seem to me to be very aware that this progress is entirely due to research work. Which they hate and find difficult, so they look on those of us who enjoy it as some kind of higher level of intellect.

The counterpoint, of course, is that without an army of medics actually practicing medicine there's no point to any medical research. And I couldn't do a medic's job. So it's a synergy, not a competition.

• #2,978
Holly snap! A recent event got me thinking: How much energy does lightning carries?

I was slepping, minding my own business, when suddenly... boom! I heard a loud whipping noise followed by grumbles and growl noises heard in thunderstorms. Like the sounds in this video. It woke the hell out of me :cry:. My heart was racing. I was like :oldeek:, and then like :confused:. In the end was like :cry: (I'm scared).

Seriously, it was really loud. Like a whip hitting the ground with extreme power. Overkill. The initial sound was exactly like in this video, but many times louder and then followed by the noises in the linked video above.

• #2,979
Ibix said:
But medicine has come an enormous long way in the last century or so, and medics seem to me to be very aware that this progress is entirely due to research work.

I have to think Surgery is driven from the other end of the chain - clever practitioners figuring out a better way.
My most recent heart stents went in through my wrist not my femoral artery, what a wonderful improvement in technique.
Ibix said:
The counterpoint, of course, is that without an army of medics actually practicing medicine there's no point to any medical research. And I couldn't do a medic's job. So it's a synergy, not a competition.
Exactly. Knowledge flows both ways.

What's going on in cancer research is amazing, though.
http://www.cancernetwork.com/
Those TV commercials you see for Ibrance ? The stuff seems to be working for Fair Anne.
Doc M was interested enough to be aware of it before it was approved. We're among Pfizer's first customers for the stuff so surely her results are fed back to the research database.

• #2,980
Kim Jong Un's mom deserves a medal for endurance; his birth took around two-and-a-half years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jong-un

!

Or maybe those who wrote the article are not much into precision: Yes, he was born some time between 1982 and 1984. Close-enough, no need for more precision. Kim weights between 72 and 400 lbs and is between 1'5'' and 7' tall.

• #2,981
Back from the dead, after a corruption in the database that wiped some users.

Happy to be back!

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,982
The more I write in English, the more I make those standard mistakes: write the first word that comes to mind which coincides with the sound of what I want to right. That s*****. And it didn't ever happen before, e.g. at school. Are there any tricks, to avoid these kind of mistakes? I normally see them, if I read what I wrote ... Shouldn't be that difficult to reverse the order.

• #2,983
Look (picture in link). If I see a girl wearing this in real life, I would kindly stop and graciously let her know that she looks awesome. I love those clothes. Definitely looks like something Erga Kenesis Di Raskreia would wear in her youth. Although eliminating the skirt part and wearing pants with long black boots like she always does. There is another character which I know would definitely look good on it, but I forgot her name. Too bad you don't see clothes like that in real life.

• #2,984
Psinter said:
Too bad you don't see clothes like that in real life.
Oh, you do. Simply not on NY's 5th avenue.

Likes Psinter
  • #2,985
fresh_42 said:
Oh, you do. Simply not on NY's 5th avenue.
For real?! Where? :bugeye:

• #2,986
Psinter said:
For real?! Where? :bugeye:
Caucasus would be a good place to start.

Likes Psinter
  • #2,987
fresh_42 said:
Caucasus would be a good place to start.
Caucasus, caucasus... Doesn't ring a bell. Let me look for it... Oho, found it! :biggrin:

It must be awesome there! I love those styles :oldlove:. I for instance have been trying to get my hands on https://vgy.me/II64T5, but on white. With gabardine woven fibre for the coat. Gabardine weave looks pretty neat, it has a kind sheen to it (not too shiny, but not too opaque either). White because it fits my style better. Psinter of the Landegre family :DD. Just kidding. (The Landegre family looks classy on white).

• #2,988
Well, those cloths are usually still for Sundays and celebrations. But the farther you travel away from cities to small villages, the higher the chances are you'll see them.

• #2,989
fresh_42 said:
Well, those cloths are usually still for Sundays and celebrations. But the farther you travel away from cities to small villages, the higher the chances are you'll see them.
:bugeye:

Goal for 2019. Visit a Caucasus* place.

Last edited:
  • #2,990
Ouch! One of my happy places closed down. I drowned my sorrows on a Wendy's Triple Bypass...er, Triple cheese.

Likes Psinter
  • #2,991
fresh_42 said:
How about in Konigsberg ( right behind you?) , if you cross all bridges going around each exactly once?

• #2,992
Psinter said:
:bugeye:

Goal for 2019. Visit a Caucasus* place.
And in some you may run into a real Cossack dance ( See after around 1:25 ). I can't imagine the regime needed to become good at this. It seems painful even to watch.

• #2,993
I always liked polishing and trying to better present or frame my questions; but, this place takes the cake.

Likes Psinter and jim hardy
  • #2,994
If somebody writes a book about the science of irrational thoughts, beliefs, and behavior, I'll buy it.

• #2,995
WWGD said:
And in some you may run into a real Cossack dance ( See after around 1:25 ). I can't imagine the regime needed to become good at this. It seems painful even to watch.
No link.

• #2,996
Reading about the flu shot, it honestly feels like reading about alternative medicine (effectiveness is statistical or unproven for current year, and impossible to know according to some governmental websites). Everything is a: "There are no enough studies to confirm or talk about X or Y subject.", "It's not possible to know.", "Everything is an estimate and assumptions given that certain conditions are satisfied.", etc. And when the original websites from your country's government get emotional by mentioning "Loved ones" (appealing to emotion), instead of just being scientific about it, it makes you think twice about getting it. You convince me through reason, not emotion. Perhaps they think they can convince more people if they appeal to emotion, with colorful pictures, etc., rather than using a different non emotional approach.

I'll get vaccinated for this season, but whoa I frown down upon those websites "educational" approaches.

• #2,997
Psinter said:
You convince me through reason, not emotion.
Unfortunately, this probably makes you different from at least 95% of the general population so, yes, I think they convince more people by appealing to emotion.

Likes BillTre, OmCheeto and Psinter
  • #2,998
Psinter said:
No link.
Sorry:

I did one myself. It lasted a whole ...0.5 seconds, after which I fell and gave up.

And this one too, after around 0:23. A bit over the top, but amazing leg work.:

Last edited:
Likes Psinter
  • #2,999
Posty McPostface said:
If somebody writes a book about the science of irrational thoughts, beliefs, and behavior, I'll buy it.
There are plenty, written mainly by Economists and Cognitive Psychologists.

• #3,000
Orodruin said:
Unfortunately, this probably makes you different from at least 95% of the general population so, yes, I think they convince more people by appealing to emotion.
100%, if you're hungry, et al.

"When a person is hungry, angry, loney, or tired, the percentage rockets up to 100% of the time." [ref]​

Why I try to never shop on an empty stomach. Ehr mehr gerd.

Likes Psinter
  • #3,001
OmCheeto said:
100%, if you're hungry, et al.

"When a person is hungry, angry, loney, or tired, the percentage rockets up to 100% of the time." [ref]​

Why I try to never shop on an empty stomach. Ehr mehr gerd.
A reason as good as any for some world leaders to keep their peoply hungry, angry, lonely, and tired ... Why try to convince people logically when you can play at their emotions?

Likes OmCheeto
  • #3,002
I saw an MPPT charge controller extract 101W of a 100W rated monocrystaline solar panel. Either an error from the controller or the panel was sold as 100W when it could actually provide just a little bit more.

• #3,003
Posty McPostface said:
Here are excerpts from a quite informative book associated with the subject; as a free download.
<Moderator's note: link to copyrighted material removed>

[EDIT:]
It's from the book "The Authoritarian Specter" by Bob Altemeyer.
B. Altemeyer, The Authoritarian Specter (Harvard University Press, 1996)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0674053052/?tag=pfamazon01-20
or
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674053052
(Pricey but you can probably find excerpts using the title in a search engine.)
[end EDIT]

I haven't read this one yet, but here is a later book by the same author, Bob Altemeyer; complete free download.
http://theauthoritarians.org/Downloads/TheAuthoritarians.pdf

Last edited:
  • #3,004
Tom.G said:
Here are excerpts from a quite informative book associated with the subject; as a free download.
<Moderator's note: link to copyrighted material removed>

I haven't read this one yet, but here is a later book by the same author, Bob Altemeyer; complete free download.
http://theauthoritarians.org/Downloads/TheAuthoritarians.pdf
Unfortunately, the first link you gave appears to be copyrighted material. Maybe you can give a reference instead?

• #3,005
DrClaude said:
Maybe you can give a reference instead?
Edit to my previous post to replace a link to possibly copyrighted material. Thanks to @DrClaude for pointing this out.

• #3,006
Imagine living here and trying to explain where you live. :oldtongue:

This that or the other street.jpg

Yes, those are real street names.

Attachments

• This that or the other street.jpg
    This that or the other street.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 654
Likes DrClaude, collinsmark, WWGD and 3 others
  • #3,007
The water ritual: https://imgur.com/gallery/5oik4

Birds are cute and funny, aren't they? It almost gives the impression that they have social behaviors. In this case, dance.

• #3,010
fresh_42 said:
And as always in life, it heavily depends on the point of view:
http://www.sciencealert.com/birds-i...e-rewriting-history-fire-use-firehawk-raptors
:)) Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! :nb)

They are the fallen Maiar! :woot: Get it?
Gandalf said:
I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udûn!
Flame Imperishable is the Secret Fire. Flame of Anor is still an obscure reference. Flame of Udûn refers to the fallen Maiar (Balrogs).

Udûn
is sindarin for Utumno (Morgoth's dark fortress). Gandalf is pretty much calling the Balrog: Flame of Utumno as they gathered there at first to serve Morgoth. I suppose he tells it: "The dark fire will not avail you" because the fallen Maiar covered themselves with shadows and flames.

Sources:
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Balrogs
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/u/udun.html

When I saw the birds all of that came to mind. The dark fire will not avail you! :biggrin: I got the LOTR hype now.

All of which at the same time randomly reminds me that at my country, adults (mostly females) call misbehaving small kids: "Spawns from hell." or "Spawns of the devil!" They say: "Hey! Get back here you spawn from the devil!" or "Get back here you hellish spawn!"