What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,011
Borg said:
I guess having some of the most poisonous animals on the face of the Earth wasn't enough. :olduhh:
Too bad we can't figure out who taught whom some 40,000 years ago!

Likes Borg
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,012
Borg said:
Imagine living here and trying to explain where you live. :oldtongue:

View attachment 218283

Yes, those are real street names.
No need to explain where they live. It is actually a store that sells 'Dese and Dose'
I actually once went to an Office Depot, and this guy was asking to buy batteries. He asks the clerk for batteries. The clerk replies: D's ( D batteries)? . The guy replies: No, Dose ( These, Those).

• #3,013
Psinter said:
I saw an MPPT charge controller extract 101W of a 100W rated monocrystaline solar panel. Either an error from the controller or the panel was sold as 100W when it could actually provide just a little bit more.
I've heard rumour that all solar panels can generate more power, when new, than they are rated for. I believe it has to do with the warranty.

Also, power ratings are sometimes "funny", as they can be hacked.

somewhere in the past I said:
He ended the paper with some research he had performed where he was able to take a 3.5hp engine, modify it somehow, and generate ~45 hp, at which point it blew up.
[ref]

• #3,014
OmCheeto said:
I've heard rumour that all solar panels can generate more power, when new, than they are rated for. I believe it has to do with the warranty.
I don't know about solar panels, but I do know that professionally rated fluorescent bulbs used in UV sterilizers for fish water systems are often rated in Watts a lower value than their initial brightness.
Over their 6 to 12 month lifespan, their UV drops quite a bit, but they are wanted to meet their specs at the end of their lifespan before they are replaced (periodically).

Likes OmCheeto
  • #3,015
OMG, I just looked out of my window as two squirrels started, uhm, "making love". At least I am hoping it was consensual. :wideeyed: Gasp, now there are two squirrels chasing the one that was being humped. And it's snowing. I guess that's one way of warming up. :eek:

Likes Psinter and collinsmark
  • #3,016
Evo said:
OMG, I just looked out of my window as two squirrels started, uhm, "making love". At least I am hoping it was consensual. :wideeyed: Gasp, now there are two squirrels chasing the one that was being humped. And it's snowing. I guess that's one way of warming up. :eek:
I once saw two brown bears ”getting busy” at the zoo with tens of kids around - and the other female in the next enclosure taking care of her cubs by the same father! A lot of parents were teying their best to answer the inevitible question ”mommy, daddy, what are they doing?”

Likes Evo
  • #3,017
Orodruin said:
I once saw two brown bears ”getting busy” at the zoo with tens of kids around - and the other female in the next enclosure taking care of her cubs by the same father! A lot of parents were trying their best to answer the inevitible question ”mommy, daddy, what are they doing?”
Oh dear.
I had a really bad day I'll never forget, it started that morning with birds mating, and I did actually go to the zoo that day and witnessed two giant tortoises mating, all animals were mating. There weren't two animals that weren't.

Likes collinsmark
  • #3,018
Evo said:
Oh dear.
I had a really bad day I'll never forget, it started that morning with birds mating, and I did actually go to the zoo that day and witnessed two giant tortoises mating, all animals were mating. There weren't two animals that weren't.
Did they have Barry White music piped in the background? Marvin Gaye? ;).

Likes Evo
  • #3,019
Evo said:
Oh dear.
You mean "Oh! Bear!" :biggrin:

Evo said:
There weren't two animals that weren't.
Maybe they had learned that the world was ending and made the best of it?

Likes Evo
  • #3,020
Orodruin said:
You mean "Oh! Bear!" :biggrin:Maybe they had learned that the world was ending and made the best of it?
They're getting vibes from Kim Jong Un, and Trump pissing him off? Maybe we should all get in on it?;). I think I will wait till I get home, tho.

• #3,021
Evo said:
LOL, that reminds me on an occasion with my then-five-year-old-temporary daughter, as she watched two sparrows on the porch in spring and said: "Look, fresh, one sparrow is sitting on the other one!" I have been lucky, she thought this was a kind of game and didn't ask why.

Likes Evo
  • #3,022
Evo said:
... There weren't two animals that weren't.
That kind of implies that you were the only one who wasn't "getting any".
I can relate. :oldcry:

Likes Evo
  • #3,023
fresh_42 said:
LOL, that reminds me on an occasion with my then-five-year-old-temporary daughter, as she watched two sparrows on the porch in spring and said: "Look, fresh, one sparrow is sitting on the other one!" I have been lucky, she thought this was a kind of game and didn't ask why.
But, are the animals nowadays then disoriented, thinking it is Spring already ( when this happens more often)? What is a temporary daughter?

• #3,024
Rant: Some companies have these automatic renewals built into their practices. " Since you did not tell us, we automatically renewed the charges". I will head towards the CEO, punch them in the face, and, if they get upset, I will just say: " You never explicitly stated you did not want to be punched in the face, so I thought it would be Ok with you"?

Likes Borg, jim hardy and fresh_42
  • #3,025
WWGD said:
What is a temporary daughter?
I'm at an age for a while now, when potential girlfriends have already children on their own, meanwhile grown up children, then little children. If I summarize, I've had temporary children of age 4-21 of both genders. Modern times.

Likes WWGD
  • #3,026
Orodruin said:
A lot of parents were teying their best to answer the inevitible question ”mommy, daddy, what are they doing?”

Likes DrClaude
  • #3,027
WWGD said:
Did they have Barry White music piped in the background? Marvin Gaye? ;).
D***, I'm old, I associated Bo Derek and Ravel's Bolero.

• #3,028
fresh_42 said:
I was ripping off a Simpson's episode.

• #3,029
fresh_42 said:
Ever try 1812 Overture ?

• #3,030
Strange pricing at breakfast place: Bacon Egg and Cheese sandwich: $5.95

Platter with : Bacon, Eggs, Cheese + Potatoes + Buttered Toast+ Coffee: $5.50 .

??

Last edited:
  • #3,031
jim hardy said:

1950?
(google google google)

Yup. That's around the time my mom started popping out babies like popcorn.

Likes jim hardy
  • #3,032
What the heck did I just read. I would like Evo's post, but I don't want anyone thinking I'm a pervert. They would get the wrong idea as I am not a pervert... I'm a Suuuuuuuper Pervert!

Just kidding. I joke. :-p
OmCheeto said:

Also, power ratings are sometimes "funny", as they can be hacked.

[ref]
:wideeyed: Is that a 2007 thread? Since when have you been here?

I know none of the members in that thread. Except for russ and probably only because he is a mentor.

• #3,033
I have been cutting down costs by eating street foods ( reasonably-healthy: lamb, rice , lettuce, tomatos) and some reasonable dumpster-diving. Still using lame joke: " Lamb over Ice, or Over Rice"?

• #3,034
Tom.G said:
Here are excerpts from a quite informative book associated with the subject; as a free download.
<Moderator's note: link to copyrighted material removed>

[EDIT:]
It's from the book "The Authoritarian Specter" by Bob Altemeyer.
B. Altemeyer, The Authoritarian Specter (Harvard University Press, 1996)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0674053052/?tag=pfamazon01-20
or
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674053052
(Pricey but you can probably find excerpts using the title in a search engine.)
[end EDIT]

I haven't read this one yet, but here is a later book by the same author, Bob Altemeyer; complete free download.
http://theauthoritarians.org/Downloads/TheAuthoritarians.pdf
I'm currently slowly reading The Authoritarians that you provided and have to say that it's somewhat mind-expanding. Thank you for the book!

• #3,035
Psinter said:
...Since when have you been here?
That thread was started the day after I joined the forum.

• #3,036
This place is like a university.

And it's practically free!

Something about that feels wrong.

• #3,037
Posty McPostface said:

Don't give them any ideas. :nb)

Likes Bystander
  • #3,038
I never felt so low and to some extent ashamed as an American over what my president has said today. Not in a democracy...

• #3,039
Posty McPostface said:
I never felt so low and to some extent ashamed as an American over what my president has said today. Not in a democracy...
Just yesterday, I watched Kingsman: The Golden Circle. It involved a president getting rid of his problems by letting everyone die. For the first time ever, I feel that an actual president in the real world is capable of doing something like that.

• #3,040
Posty McPostface said:

Why wouldn’t university be free? I would say there is something wrong if it isn’t.

Likes fresh_42 and DrClaude
  • #3,041
Orodruin said:
Why wouldn’t university be free? I would say there is something wrong if it isn’t.
If it's free then the big guys don't make any money. Capitalism runs todays education.

• #3,042
lekh2003 said:
If it's free then the big guys don't make any money. Capitalism runs todays education.
You are generalising the US situation to the world. Many European countries have free or essentially free university education.

• #3,043
Orodruin said:
You are generalising the US situation to the world. Many European countries have free or essentially free university education.
I am aware of that, which is why I hope to study in Europe, not in the cash heavy country of capitalism. My statement was specifically referring to the stupidity of the US education system.

• #3,044
lekh2003 said:
I am aware of that, which is why I hope to study in Europe, not in the cash heavy country of capitalism. My statement was specifically referring to the stupidity of the US education system.
You should be aware that many European states will not pay for non-Europeans. For EU citizens, all have to be treated equally so if nationals get free university all Europeans get it. However, at least in Sweden, a few years back there was a decision not to offer non-Europeans free education and people from outside now neef to pay tuition.

However, if you are entitled to the benefits of the Swedish system university is paid by the state, the state will even give you a small monthly payment with the additional option of an additional very beneficial monthly loan to cover your living expenses. That to me seems more reasonable and equal opportunity.

• #3,045
Orodruin said:
You should be aware that many European states will not pay for non-Europeans. For EU citizens, all have to be treated equally so if nationals get free university all Europeans get it. However, at least in Sweden, a few years back there was a decision not to offer non-Europeans free education and people from outside now neef to pay tuition.

However, if you are entitled to the benefits of the Swedish system university is paid by the state, the state will even give you a small monthly payment with the additional option of an additional very beneficial monthly loan to cover your living expenses. That to me seems more reasonable and equal opportunity.
I actually hope to study in Switzerland (ETH Zurich), where the tuition costs are minimal, at least lesser than even my home country's education. The only issue is that French or German is a prerequisite for undergrad courses, which I don't think I can learn in a span of 3-4 years fluently along with all of school work. English is only accepted for Masters courses and PhDs.