Why Do Female Students Listen to Male Students' Questions Without Interacting?

• Thread starter theoritician
  • Start date
In summary, the old professors were talking and the female student wanted to leave but couldn't because the male student was talking. The female student has a big crush on the male professor and when she couldn't interrupt, she just left. The male professor is attracted to her and thinks she is smart.
rewebster said:
1--women are usually more afraid of being rejected than most men

2--you won't do anything until you reach the threshold temperature

3--women are not praying mantis (usually)

4--if you don't talk to her (like it's a personal thing) it won't become a personal thing

1. I disagree. Men are really afraid to get rejected, hence why they never want to approach girls and complain that girls should ask them out for once. Stop being a baby and grow some balls. Plus, most girls ask men when they want them. They surely don't kitty out like most men.

I have no idea what you meant by the rest though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me like she wants to hear questions asked by others because she cares about learning. Now you are just obsessing over something that is nothing and coming off as a desperate weirdo. I would stay away from her because I don't see this ending well.

Last edited:
Anyway, its continued. I was staying back with another classmate discussing about some material after class and everyone else was gone except her, sitting by herself doing nothing.

I left without saying anything to her through the back door. But the theme of the thread continues, what is going on?

A colleague of mine has some kind of implant, I'm not sure if it's a pacemaker or what, but anyways he has to stay sitting down until it's stopped doing what it's doing. Maybe she has a similar thing?

Do you know if she ever stays after in class during the times that you don't?

TestUser12 said:
A colleague of mine has some kind of implant, I'm not sure if it's a pacemaker or what, but anyways he has to stay sitting down until it's stopped doing what it's doing. Maybe she has a similar thing?
entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity

Smurf. Of course you're right. But don't you think that the speculation about her staying around to watch him because she likes him is an equal amount of multiplication?

moose said:
Do you know if she ever stays after in class during the times that you don't?

Thats impossible to answer but I think the answer is no.

TestUser12 said:
Smurf. Of course you're right. But don't you think that the speculation about her staying around to watch him because she likes him is an equal amount of multiplication?

I sit behind her so she isn't watching me.

theoritician said:
I sit behind her so she isn't watching me.

First---do YOU want to ask her out on a date? (yes or no)

if no, this is all just fantasy

if yes, then, what is your fear as to why you haven't asked her yet?

if it is the fear of being rejected (like you have strongly alluded to), then where does this fear come from?

rewebster said:
First---do YOU want to ask her out on a date? (yes or no)if no, this is all just fantasyif yes, then, what is your fear as to why you haven't asked her yet?

if it is the fear of being rejected (like you have strongly alluded to), then where does this fear come from?
I know that if she asked me out for a date, I would go. But that is not going to happen is it?

The hardest things is to get the conversation started. She clearly is not interested in talking about the subject matter as I have tried talking to her about it from last time. It seems she is not talkative in general. She might also not be enrolled in the class and is listening for interest sake only because I have not seen her take past exams in the prereq subjects and she told me that she dosen't do the excercises.

So the hardest thing is making the experience of talking to her enjoyable and appear unforced and then things might happen from there. But this initial step is proving to be impossible especially after the bad start I had a week ago. To be honest, had she not waited after class, I probably would forget about her.

Maybe what I should do is if next time she waits, I go ask her why she is waiting around. So I will get a conversation started. At worst I will find out
'what is going on' which is what I am dying to know.

Last edited:
TestUser12 said:
Well it's not a sure thing, but I'd say it's still more likely. Besides, which one is more fun? :biggrin:

theoritician said:
I know that if she asked me out for a date, I would go. But that is not going to happen is it?

The hardest things is to get the conversation started. She clearly is not interested in talking about the subject matter as I have tried talking to her about it from last time. It seems she is not talkative in general. She might also not be enrolled in the class and is listening for interest sake only because I have not seen her take past exams in the prereq subjects and she told me that she dosen't do the excercises.

So the hardest thing is making the experience of talking to her enjoyable and appear unforced and then things might happen from there. But this initial step is proving to be impossible especially after the bad start I had a week ago. To be honest, had she not waited after class, I probably would forget about her.

Maybe what I should do is if next time she waits, I go ask her why she is waiting around. So I will get a conversation started. At worst I will find out
'what is going on' which is what I am dying to know.

sounds like a plan, man.

Smurf said:
Don't like lying? Make something up, then tell her you made it up! For example, next time your at the grocery store pick the Check-out with the prettiest girl. When its your turn, tell her it's your birthday next week and your girlfriend wants to take you to the local strip club to celebrate (whats up with that? :biggrin:) Whatever. Telling a story is my favorite way to start a conversation. Smile. If you're friendly, people are generally friendly back to you. If she isn't don't worry, it's not you, she probably just had a bad day! Practice. People are everywhere, this is one thing you don't have to go out of your way to practice doing. Unless you live on a farm.

Man, lying is just stupid. It's not a flirting technique. It's flat out lying and it's retarded.

If I'm a wing or someone is a wing with me, one of my top rules is no lying. I hate that crap. I hate how some people seem to think it's a flirting technique. Lame.

One more trivial matter I forgot to mention. Last time when I asked her a question, I accidently covered the question area with my hand and when she was trying to explain, she laid her hand on top of mine for 15 seconds or so, as if to point to the question I was covering. Is that a girlie thing or what? Certainly no one has done something like that before to me when explaining a problem. They would point to the question area but not physically touch my hand. By actually touching my hand, I couldn't remove my hand from the question area so she didn't really help to see the problem. In fact I was mildly shocked at the time. Does that mean anything though?

Last edited:
theoritician said:
One more trivial matter I forgot to mention. Last time when I asked her a question, I accidently covered the question area with my hand and when she was trying to explain, she laid her hand on top of mine for 15 seconds or so, as if to point to the question I was covering. Is that a girlie thing or what? Certainly no one has done something like that before to me when explaining a problem. They would point to the question area but not physically touch my hand. By actually touching my hand, I couldn't remove my hand from the question area so she didn't really help to see the problem. In fact I was mildly shocked at the time. Does that mean anything though?

are you saying that that experience was pleasant and enjoyable?

theoritician said:

How can anyone guess an answer to that? Why don't you just ask her if she wants to do something, then you'll get an answer and won't be sat wondering about every little thing that happens between you two. Moonbear's advice is good: ask her if she wants to get together to study, that way you may be more comfortable. But, seriously, you need to decide either to leave her or ask her out; you can't sit in limbo forever!

(he may be a virgin--everyone 'matures' at a different rate)

I got the facts wrong. I covered the question except the first line and a bit. She was trying to point across the line as she read and so touched my hand as a result. It could be a subconscious thing on her behalf, indicating that she likes me.

so she's been waiting after class, and then not saying anything? I did that a few times in one of my classes because I was interested in what the professor had to say to the students.

how often does she stay after class when youre NOT there?

Maybe she's just weird or something?

theoritician said:
I got the facts wrong. I covered the question except the first line and a bit. She was trying to point across the line as she read and so touched my hand as a result. It could be a subconscious thing on her behalf, indicating that she likes me.
It's rather curious how ingrained into our society Freudian concepts like the subconscious are, and since Freud's been discredited on everything else, I'm skeptical about the whole subconscious theory. I don't think there's any evidence that such a thing even really exists.

proton said:
so she's been waiting after class, and then not saying anything? I did that a few times in one of my classes because I was interested in what the professor had to say to the students.

We've covered this. Yes, maybe she's just weird or interested in what the prof's saying, but let's just assume that's not true. The alternative is so much more fun!

JasonRox said:
Man, lying is just stupid. It's not a flirting technique. It's flat out lying and it's retarded.
There may be a misunderstanding here. I was talking about telling jokes. And with the exception of puns and the like, jokes are rarely truthful. Hense the phrase: "He didn't really mean it, he was only joking." I agree with your sentiment about lying and try not to do it myself. Especially when talking to girls.

proton said:

Well for the last three times she has been waiting after class without the professor present.

I have seen her leave earlier then me.

She must be weird to go to lectures she's not enrolled in. But hey I do that as well.

Although waiting around in an almost empty lecture theatre for no reason is beyond weird. There must be a reason.

Last edited:
theoritician said:
Well for the last three times she has been waiting after class without the professor present.

I have seen her leave earlier then me.

She must be weird to go to lectures she's not enrolled in. But hey I do that as well.

Although waiting around in an almost empty lecture theatre for no reason is beyond weird. There must be a reason.

If she sees you not doing much (as much as she may think she's doing), she may, sooner than later, start applying the law of diminishing returns.

rewebster said:
If she sees you not doing much (as much as she may think she's doing), she may, sooner than later, start applying the law of diminishing returns.

Thats right. I noticed that she was sitting less happily in her chair last time. However smiling the first two times.

I thought it was all over after she didn't attempt to make any conversation with me when I sat next to her. That is why I didn't really enjoy her touching my hand because I thought I had made a fool of myself by guessing incorrectly.

Smurf said:
It's rather curious how ingrained into our society Freudian concepts like the subconscious are, and since Freud's been discredited on everything else, I'm skeptical about the whole subconscious theory. I don't think there's any evidence that such a thing even really exists.

I believe in this subconscious thing to some extent. I believe in biology and less in psychology but his subconscious theory does go in line with the jest of evolution theory.

Smurf said:

Are you consciously controlling the beat of your heart?

theoritician said:
Thats right. I noticed that she was sitting less happily in her chair last time. However smiling the first two times.

I thought it was all over after she didn't attempt to make any conversation with me when I sat next to her. That is why I didn't really enjoy her touching my hand because I thought I had made a fool of myself by guessing incorrectly.

well, I would guess that you may not have enough interest in her, specifically, to overcome your shyness to ask her out for coffee. --and that may be your loss; because, some guys don't ever find a woman that stays around as long as she has, and waiting, for you to make a move. It sounds like if you don't do 'something' in the next few times, especially if she not enrolled in those classes, she going to be gone.

My suggestion is to get over it.

rewebster said:
well, I would guess that you may not have enough interest in her, specifically, to overcome your shyness to ask her out for coffee. --and that may be your loss; because, some guys don't ever find a woman that stays around as long as she has, and waiting, for you to make a move. It sounds like if you don't do 'something' in the next few times, especially if she not enrolled in those classes, she going to be gone.

Are there woman out there that make the move themselves, instead of spending so much effort waiting for the other party to make the move?

I think her primarily interest is in listening to the subjects as she listened to the prereq subjects the year before as well. So she won't be gone but will take less interest in me. In fact I think she was frowning today when I had the opportunity to talk to her but didn't and she didn't try to wait around. I take things too seriously. Must relax a bit.

Last edited:
theoritician said:
Are there woman out there that make the move themselves, instead of spending so much effort waiting for the other party to make the move?

Um... girls make moves all the time. Just that men are too stupid to notice. A lot of them even ask out men, so it can't get anymore obvious.

i.e. A girl at the beginning of summer told me she's looking for a sex partner but no strings attach. What does that mean? She wants me as her sex partner, duh! (Had a girlfriend at the time, and the girl was disapointed. I'll see her at school this year though. :-p)

i.e. Girl says we should hang out. She wants me.

If you actually TALK to girls and be SOCIAL with them, you'll see that girls make moves. But they only make moves on guys they want, so if you're boring, it'll never happen. You must be a man of interest, integrity and not afraid to express sexuality. I used to be shy around women and even men, but I've changed a lot over the years. Now, I can just talk to women, flirt, and put my arm around them and all that. It takes practice that's all.

You seem to expect a lot from girls when you seem to rarely ever talk to them (outside of friends and family).

theoritician said:
I think her primarily interest is in listening to the subjects as she listened to the prereq subjects the year before as well. So she won't be gone but will take less interest in me. In fact I think she was frowning today when I had the opportunity to talk to her but didn't and she didn't try to wait around. I take things too seriously. Must relax a bit.

You didn't say anything?

And yes you take things too seriously, get over her. Find someone else.

Just walk up to a random girl who's waiting for class, or looking for a book in the library, eating lunch by herself, etc...

theoritician said:

Is this how you are planning to get your job when you graduate, too?--just waiting for an employer to come up to you, and ask you if you want to work for him?

do you stand outside a restaurant, waiting for someone inside to come out and ask you if you are hungry, and then ask you to sit inside and they will feed you?

theoritician said:

Its not that you take things too seriously--it may be that you are one of those without an adventurous spirit-(not interested in new things, and trying new things)

JasonRox said:
Um... girls make moves all the time. Just that men are too stupid to notice. A lot of them even ask out men, so it can't get anymore obvious.

i.e. A girl at the beginning of summer told me she's looking for a sex partner but no strings attach. What does that mean? She wants me as her sex partner, duh! (Had a girlfriend at the time, and the girl was disapointed. I'll see her at school this year though. :-p)

i.e. Girl says we should hang out. She wants me.

If you actually TALK to girls and be SOCIAL with them, you'll see that girls make moves. But they only make moves on guys they want, so if you're boring, it'll never happen. You must be a man of interest, integrity and not afraid to express sexuality. I used to be shy around women and even men, but I've changed a lot over the years. Now, I can just talk to women, flirt, and put my arm around them and all that. It takes practice that's all.

You seem to expect a lot from girls when you seem to rarely ever talk to them (outside of friends and family).

Actually you're right. I have had my fair share as well. I wasn't too stupid to notice but rather disinterested. But people change.

However with this girl, she dosen't want to speak at all. Thats bad when the other person is not talkative either.