Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
dlgoff said:
...they are building a new one on the other side of the river right now...

The Bowersock Mills & Power Co. has broken ground on a 4.6-MW expansion that will nearly triple capacity at the Bowersock hydropower project.

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2011/05/groundbreaking-celebrates-expansion-of-2-45-mw-bowersock-small-hydro-project"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
4 p.m. and already two thunderstorms passed over our house. Neither too heavy, still, two of them in 3 hours.

Lucky, no T-storm here in years

WhoWee said:
I used to visit KC quite often. One one trip (circa 1982 or 83) we drove through an area where flood waters had just receded - I saw cars stuck in trees about 30' off the ground.

turbo-1 said:
That must have been one hell of a flood-surge!
It was when I moved here in 1993, everything was under water. I arrived a few days after the flooding started to subside and the realtor was pointing out homes where the rooftops were still a couple of feet under water.

I had just lived through - The Storm of the Century, also known as the ’93 Superstorm, or the (Great) Blizzard of 1993

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mississippi_and_Missouri_Rivers_Flood_of_1993

And then in August, we moved to Kansas for this. The Great Mississippi and Missouri Rivers Flood of 1993 (or "Great Flood of 1993")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mississippi_and_Missouri_Rivers_Flood_of_1993

Now 8 inches of snow in Hawaii according to state rangers.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/honolulu-kitv-18211460/mauna-kea-sees-snow-in-the-summer-25477501

What is it with the weather services inability to forecast weather for the next 30 minutes?

This has been going on forever. Today, for example, this morning we were going to have severe storms all day. By 8 am, no storms sunny and clear, with storms at 5pm. At 3pm, no storms until 3am tomorrow.

Now, meteorologists have said that the public has reported devastating storms with 60 mph winds and golfball size hail. They're shocked, they were all in the break room eating microwave popcorn and watching the Bachlorette and had no idea what was happening with the weather outside. Geeze, if only one of them had thought to look out the window...

Evo said:
What is it with the weather services inability to forecast weather for the next 30 minutes?

This has been going on forever. Today, for example, this morning we were going to have severe storms all day. By 8 am, no storms sunny and clear, with storms at 5pm. At 3pm, no storms until 3am tomorrow.

Now, meteorologists have said that the public has reported devastating storms with 60 mph winds and golfball size hail. They're shocked, they were all in the break room eating microwave popcorn and watching the Bachlorette and had no idea what was happening with the weather outside. Geeze, if only one of them had thought to look out the window...

Hold on to your hat Evo. If they have it right (?) we are going to be in for a treat tonight. Hail, tornadoes,...

dlgoff said:
Hold on to your hat Evo. If they have it right (?) we are going to be in for a treat tonight. Hail, tornadoes,...

Evo,

Let's hope the weatherman is wrong, for your sake.

Rhody... (sending hook echo cloud blaster, and hail melter, Evo's way) :biggrin:

dlgoff said:

They were wrong again. Let's hope they are wrong again for tonight.

You think they were wrong due to the "rhody effect"?

dlgoff said:
They were wrong again. Let's hope they are wrong again for tonight.

You think they were wrong due to the "rhody effect"?

My NOAA radio just indicated a wind advisory is in effect . Okay rhody, time for your magic.

Look what's almost here.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36614&stc=1&d=1308622414.jpg

Attachments

• storm.jpg
    storm.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 458
WHOA! Don, you and Evo had better hang on - yikes!

Yep, it's going to be quite a night.

So, how did the Kansans fare last night?

turbo-1 said:

The storm line fell apart just as it was getting to me. Lots of good lightning and a nice rain, but no big winds or hail. For me at least.

turbo-1 said:

Neighbors didn't fare so well.
http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/fierce-tornados-caught-on-tape-in-midwest-25695965

Astronuc said:
Neighbors didn't fare so well.
http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/fierce-tornados-caught-on-tape-in-midwest-25695965

Isn't the midwest weather cool? There's a saying in Kansas. "If you don't like the weather, just wait until tomorrow". We seem to have everything here. Very cold then very hot, very wet then very dry, snow and ice, wind and hail. It's a never ending discontinuous weather function.

At least you and Evo are fine, Don. I worry about Evo not having a decent tornado shelter.

turbo-1 said:
At least you and Evo are fine, Don. I worry about Evo not having a decent tornado shelter.

You don't care about me? I live in a dang mobile home on a hill top. :cry:

Too many wives and kids to build my underground house now. :redface:

Anyway, I know when it's time to get the heck out since I can see for miles in any direction.

She even doesn't have hail proof windows.

dlgoff said:
You don't care about me? I live in a dang mobile home on a hill top. :cry:

Too many wives and kids to build my underground house now. :redface:

Anyway, I know when it's time to get the heck out since I can see for miles in any direction.
Sorry! I imagined you had an old Kansas farm-house. I wouldn't wish a trailer in tornado alley on my worst enemy!

(Well, there's one guy...)

turbo-1 said:
Sorry! I imagined you had an old Kansas farm-house. I wouldn't wish a trailer in tornado alley on my worst enemy!

(Well, there's one guy...)

Thanks turbo. I got somebody to feel sorry for me. :biggrin:

I been here for about 30 years and bailed out several times. The only time I had a problem with tornadoes was when I drove to Lawrence to get away from a approaching storm only to get nailed by one under the I70 bridge in North Lawrence. I'll never go under an overpass again.

dlgoff said:
Thanks turbo. I got somebody to feel sorry for me. :biggrin:

I been here for about 30 years and bailed out several times. The only time I had a problem with tornadoes was when I drove to Lawrence to get away from a approaching storm only to get nailed by one under the I70 bridge in North Lawrence. I'll never go under an overpass again.
I spent a couple of weeks in late July-early August in central Alabama troubleshooting the automation of 2 power-boilers two years in a row. The storms were intense, and the office-trailers were bound with heavy steel straps anchored to huge buried concrete weights. Still, storms could be "interesting".

July 2nd and just 55 F You call it a summer?

59 deg F here, but it's only 5 am. It should hit 85 or so today. Hopefully the humidity isn't as brutal as it was earlier this week. The garden is picking up, but I'm not. It's very hard to breathe in this "swamp" if you have respiratory problems.

59 deg F as well, but it is already 2 p.m. Cold, dark and gloomy day, with occasional drizzle.

It is a delightful 64 F (18 C) here this morning. It might reach mid 80s (27-29 C) this afternoon. The blueberries are ripening.

My neighbor and I went to the Fedco tree sale last spring and he went in and bought me 4 open-pollinating blueberry bushes, so I didn't have to dodge all the patchouli-people. He had a grin on his face when he came back out. It seems that they had one bush left of a variety called Duke, so he bought one. The bushes are setting on berries quite well this year, and Duke is twice as tall as the other 3.

It is snowing in Tatra mountains

Borek I hope that you escaped out of Poland for your holiday

not so nice

Yay, Fall is here! A Canadian coldfront is pushing in tonight and the forecast for the next 10 days is highs in the low 70's and low's in the low-mid 50's! WOOT!

DL, does Roger have her flannel nighties?

-40 is coming soon here!

It's 100° F here (KY) but come Monday it will drop to the lower/mid 70s.

Evo said:
DL, does Roger have her flannel nighties?
chicken+in+clothes+ananova.jpg

dlgoff said:
chicken+in+clothes+ananova.jpg
AWWWW, you're such a good daddy!