Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #1,086
lisab said:
She's just one of many.
Why is the world such a scary place lisab :frown:

At least I can eat my words when the government releases its mermaid army.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,087
lisab said:
Sadly, I think you know the answer to that question: lots of people.

For example, behold the Crazy Rainbow Woman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjZY0KufWao

She's just one of many.
You have to admit that those special camera effects near the end were, uhm, pointless. :-p What's so scary is that you find so many people like her online.

• #1,088
What a cool man. All those smiling faces around him "oooo"ing and "ahhh"ing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i-zYdOPG2k

• #1,089
I told them too much (positive things) about Japan and they decide not to add me into Japan robot team. Waiting to be interviewed with US team reps.

• #1,090
Someone today handed me a 3x5 card with the name of the best patent lawyer firm in town. We had discussed my invention last week, and he seemed intrigued. He knew who Lemmelson was, which meant he knew something. He also introduced me to a new name: Douglas Engelbart*.

Which meant he knew more than I.

I think I will contact this law firm, very soon.

------------------
*And here I've been cursing for years, that old people need to die, because they haven't a clue, as to what the future holds... Goodnight Doug. I wish I'd met you. :frown:

• #1,091
OmCheeto said:
...Douglas Engelbart
Douglas Carl Engelbart (January 30, 1925 – July 2, 2013) was an American engineer and inventor, and an early computer and Internet pioneer.

Guiding philosophy
Engelbart's career was inspired in December 1950 when he was engaged to be married and realized he had no career goals other "than a steady job, getting married and living happily ever after".
Over several months he reasoned that:
1. he would focus his career on making the world a better place;
2. any serious effort to make the world better requires some kind of organized effort;
3. harnessing the collective human intellect of all the people contributing to effective solutions was the key;
4. if you could dramatically improve how we do that, you'd be boosting every effort on the planet to solve important problems — the sooner the better; and
5. computers could be the vehicle for dramatically improving this capability.

hmm... Perhaps Mr. Bernhardt had such a similar vision, when he had this PF thought.

• #1,093
What a long trip.

• #1,094
OmCheeto said:
They've obviously never seen Mount Sunflower. :mad:
The ascent can be challenging, though I recommend mounting the north face first, for the uninitiated. Relatively forgiving and the shade from the mountain can make the first ascent a bit less daunting. :devil:

• #1,095
Gad said:
What a long trip.

You hiked Mt. Sunflower?

• #1,096
OmCheeto said:
They've obviously never seen Mount Sunflower. :mad:
OMG, the website for "Into thick air - Ascent of the Northeast Face of Mt Sunflower" IS GONE! :cry:

I found it on wayback http://web.archive.org/web/20120518005800/http://www.bettingers.org/air/ks000.htm

But the pictures are missing, those incredible pictures are what made the expedition so unique as it showed you just how treacherous the climb was. :cry: Falling into dangerous crevasses (picture of a guy's foot in a small crack in the ground, treacherous climbs across perilous terrain (a ladder laying horizontally over a couple of small rocks).

We need to try to contact these brave men and see if they still have copies for us to share with their fans worldwide!

Can anyone find them?

Last edited:
  • #1,097
Evo said:
OMG, the website for "Into thick air - Ascent of the Northeast Face of Mt Sunflower" IS GONE! :cry:

I found it on wayback http://web.archive.org/web/20120518005800/http://www.bettingers.org/air/ks000.htm

But the pictures are missing, those incredible pictures are what made the expedition so unique as it showed you just how treacherous the climb was. :cry: Falling into dangerous crevasses (picture of a guy's foot in a small crack in the ground, treacherous climbs across perilous terrain (a ladder laying horizontally over a couple of small rocks).

We need to try to contact these brave men and see if they still have copies for us to share with their fans worldwide!

Can anyone find them?

My friend just got back from a wedding in Kansas. She said it was the most beautiful she'd seen it.

Though, she does own farmland there, and brown dying corn is ugly, and green recuperating corn, is green for her.

She likes green.

And then again, I've learned to like that, also. :redface:

• #1,098
OmCheeto said:
You hiked Mt. Sunflower?

No, multiple flights in one day.. I am sad for leaving home.

• #1,099
Gad said:
No, multiple flights in one day.. I am sad for leaving home.

I am sure that there is also someone sad to see you fly away.

Red tail lights, are tough.

• #1,100
OmCheeto said:
My friend just got back from a wedding in Kansas. She said it was the most beautiful she'd seen it.

Though, she does own farmland there, and brown dying corn is ugly, and green recuperating corn, is green for her.

She likes green.

And then again, I've learned to like that, also. :redface:
I've lived and visited many states, Kansas is UGLY. REALLY UGLY. It's flat, it's a land of tumbleweeds, I wonder where the heck fake place she was? The only ok places are not natural. Kansas is naturally a bleak prairie.

• #1,101
Sad, no one calls me for the job interviews anymore.

• #1,102
Don't give up inotyce.

• #1,103
Evo said:
I've lived and visited many states, Kansas is UGLY. REALLY UGLY. It's flat, it's a land of tumbleweeds, I wonder where the heck fake place she was? The only ok places are not natural. Kansas is naturally a bleak prairie.

:cry:

And I thought this shot from my place wasn't ugly.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,104
dlgoff said:

It's gorgeous.

THIS is ugly Kansas:

It somewhat matches Evo's description.

Maybe that's what she meant...

-Dave K

• #1,105
I just enabled the view avatars option for the first time and am reeling from the shock that Gad and Micromass are both women...

• #1,106
dkotschessaa said:
It's gorgeous.

THIS is ugly Kansas:

-Dave K

I've actually hung out and done a few things with one of these band members; albeit many years ago. I don't think you'd want to tell him he's ugly as he's a really big man. Just sayin'. :biggrin:

• #1,107
Enigman said:
I just enabled the view avatars option for the first time and am reeling from the shock that Gad and Micromass are both women...
Ban him micromass!

• #1,108
dlgoff said:

Now that's pretty!

dkotschessaa said:
THIS is ugly Kansas:

-Dave K
:eek:

• #1,109
Enigman said:

And you call yourself Enigman. Doesn't that sound a bit ambiguous? :smile:

Last edited:
  • #1,110
dkotschessaa said:
THIS is ugly Kansas:

But there's a beautiful Marshall amplifier to the left, I like that. I can't really distinguish the logo on the cabinet to the right - it might be an Ampeg - which also is nicey nicey. Two of my favorite brands.

• #1,111
dlgoff said:
... and done a few things with one of these band members; albeit many years ago ...

It's okay, you can just say drugs :smile:

• #1,112
DennisN said:
And you call yourself Enigman. Doesn't that sound a bit ambiguous? :smile:
Didn't get your implication and after visiting the url I've decided its better not to.:bugeye:
Enigman=enig+Man.
From Urban Dictionary-
Enigman-A person that is Enigmatic. No one really knows who he TRULY is or what he's REALLY about. He's either secretive while seeming so open and wonderful by all outward appearances or the opposite; he seems to be one thing, but is really something else.

Last edited:
  • #1,113
Enigman said:
Didn't get your implication and after visiting the url I've decided its better not to.:bugeye:
Enigman=enig+Man.
From Urban Dictionary-

"Person" = male/female.

And there's nothing really ":bugeye:" about androgyny. There are all sorts of locations on the gender scale, some of which leave a person right in the middle, feeling rather neutral.

His intended implication (from what I gathered) is that an enigma is meant to be something inexplicable or puzzling, and that having your name essentially being the word 'enigma' doesn't make it overly obvious as to your gender. You can't expect people to know the definition of an obscure word on urban-dictionary.

Also: wo+MAN. Having only part of a word implying something doesn't mean that the word itself denotes that very thing.

• #1,114
AnTiFreeze3 said:
...Also: wo+MAN. Having only part of a word implying something doesn't mean that the word itself denotes that very thing.
Interesting fact about the etymology of man: Man used to signify both the genders (gender neutral) and the genders were differentiated with prefixes 'Vir' (also 'Wer') and 'wyf'. Therefore the male human was called virman and female was called wyfman. Wer is also the root word of werewolf; probably explains the dearth of female werewolves in legends. Wyfman in time gave rise to the term woman and wyf to wife.

Also Hermaphrodite= Hermes (God of masculinity )+ Aphrodite (Goddess of femininity)
From Hermaphroditus- (son of the above) according to the legend the first androgyn - originally was a boy with whom a nymph fell in love with and then forcibly hugging him prayed to the gods that they should never be parted again.

:bugeye: was the only thing that seemed to describe my confusion at the implication and no bigotry was intended.

As far as the word 'Enigman' is concerned I made that word up in high school as a cross between Enigma and Man. I stumbled upon the definition in Urban Dictonary much later, though it does fit rather nicely...

• #1,115
AnTiFreeze3 said:
His intended implication (from what I gathered) is that an enigma is meant to be something inexplicable or puzzling, and that having your name essentially being the word 'enigma' doesn't make it overly obvious as to your gender.

Yes, AnTiFreeze3 got it. Sorry, Enigman, if you found it weird :smile:. I was just trying to make a continued joke on what you said before about the avatars (and also considering what dlgoff wrote above).

• #1,116
DennisN said:
But there's a beautiful Marshall amplifier to the left,

"The only ok places are not natural" - Evo

Seewudimean?

And of course, they are a fine band, and by the standards of the time that picture was taken, probably good looking in a rock band sort of way.

-Dave K

• #1,117
Enigman said:
am reeling from the shock that Gad and Micromass are both women...

I am shocked too.

• #1,118
AnTiFreeze3 said:
It's okay, you can just say drugs :smile:
:smile: I'll never tell. :blushing:

Actually, This Guy was a close friends with the piano (Randy) in the little band I was in at the time. That's how I got to know him. Randy began having problems with his playing hands and ending up dying from a brain tumor IIRC and Kansas dedicated an album (his name on it's cover) to him.

• #1,119
Enigman said:
Therefore the male human was called virman

...my insufferable inner adolescent snickered...

• #1,120
Enigman said:
Interesting fact about the etymology of man: Man used to signify both the genders (gender neutral) and the genders were differentiated with prefixes 'Vir' (also 'Wer') and 'wyf'. Therefore the male human was called virman and female was called wyfman. Wer is also the root word of werewolf; probably explains the dearth of female werewolves in legends. Wyfman in time gave rise to the term woman and wyf to wife.

Also Hermaphrodite= Hermes (God of masculinity )+ Aphrodite (Goddess of femininity)
From Hermaphroditus- (son of the above) according to the legend the first androgyn - originally was a boy with whom a nymph fell in love with and then forcibly hugging him prayed to the gods that they should never be parted again.

:bugeye: was the only thing that seemed to describe my confusion at the implication and no bigotry was intended.

As far as the word 'Enigman' is concerned I made that word up in high school as a cross between Enigma and Man. I stumbled upon the definition in Urban Dictonary much later, though it does fit rather nicely...

Interesting, thanks for sharing :smile:

I like the idea of calling a woman "wife-man." It seems also as if it should be the name for a superhero.