Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #1,891
lisab said:
When cats think, do they think in meows?

That question blew my mind.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,892
lisab said:
When cats think, do they think in meows?
Meowstly, yes.

• #1,893
Ibix said:
Meowstly, yes.

I asked my cat. She walked away and thought about it. After several hours, she came up to me and said, and I quote:

"Meow."

So, I think that question is answered.

Speaking of how cute my cat is... her latest thing is making me watch her eat. I think she's been trying to get me to do this for a couple of years now, but seeing as I don't speak cat, I just thought she was getting old and not eating as much. But now it seems that I have to follow her to where her food is and stand there, and THEN she'll eat.

I haven't been able to find anyone online giving a behavioral reason why cats would do this, but I did find a lot of other people saying theirs did the same thing.

• #1,894
Still cold.

• #1,896
One more bit about cats. Mine always walks/sits on my keyboard and papers.

Apparently this has been going on for at least 500 years:

cat-paws.jpg

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2013/03/centuries-ago-a-cat-walked-across-this-medieval-manuscript/

• #1,897
Call 911, it's the bear's *footprints* ?

• #1,898
dkotschessaa said:
Speaking of how cute my cat is... her latest thing is making me watch her eat. I think she's been trying to get me to do this for a couple of years now, but seeing as I don't speak cat, I just thought she was getting old and not eating as much. But now it seems that I have to follow her to where her food is and stand there, and THEN she'll eat.

I haven't been able to find anyone online giving a behavioral reason why cats would do this, but I did find a lot of other people saying theirs did the same thing.
I've been feeding feral cats for many years and they always have a hierarchy of who gets to eat first. The higher ranking cats will always leave something for the low ranking ones, but the low ranking ones have to sit and watch till their superiors are done. Hehe.

• #1,899

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,900
I feel like my brain just had a bulldozer go over it...

• #1,901
And now its swelling like a balloon.

• #1,902
Bah... why doesn't stuff last for ever? I can't remember when I bought my ancient CRT computer monitor (more than 20 years ago) but lately it's been very slow to warm up, even if left on standdy, and rapidly getting slower. So now I'm figuring out how to reorganize working with multiple windows open on a LCD monitor with 16x9 aspect ratio instead than 4x3...

And I bet the new one won't last as long as its predecessor!

• #1,903
Borek said:
Still cold.

Try more cats.

• #1,904
I've had a few bright ideas in my time. The thing I've learned about bright ideas, though, is not to pile them on top of one another without thought for their interactions.

Some people did not learn this lesson.

#multitentacledabomination

• #1,905
Ibix said:
I've had a few bright ideas in my time. The thing I've learned about bright ideas, though, is not to pile them on top of one another without thought for their interactions.

Some people did not learn this lesson.
This is the best comment I find out this morning.

I wish to be criticized of what I did and commented on who I really am more than anyone does here on PF, I seriously think so.

• #1,906
I had always been an administrator of my computer but suddenly I one day could not run a program as an administrator anymore while other people could. Luckily I had previously set up one PE to always run in administrator mode and due to its importance of daily use, I could argue to ask my IT guy to change back my user mode. The IT guy and I now become good friends, he is still young and needs others 'support to troubleshoot IT issues by the way. :smile:

• #1,907
Just had a great day.

32*52-1

ps. Has anyone seen the "list of primes by type" at wiki?

if not, then let me interpret it for you:

"At first I was interested, then I was intrigued, and then I was, like, wow... There are some serious math nerds out here..."

Where are the "hula hoop" primes?: Prime numbers with a zero.
Where are the "gay" primes?: Prime numbers with two 1's or 0's next to each other.
Where are the "wild heterosexual orgy" primes?: Prime numbers with lots of 1's and 0's.

Sorry... :redface:

As I said, it was a good day today.

And a good day, is a good day, to die.

:smile:

• #1,908
:biggrin:

• #1,909
Omg just saw a christmas advert on tv

bah humbug

• #1,910
trollcast said:

bah humbug

We are the Retail Nation.

• #1,911
phinds said:
Now, it's moving to troll's nation. It sucks. And we were just talking about fall open-water fishing... Thieves steal our seasons. :frown:

I'm not a big fan of Halloween, though I would like to enjoy Thanksgiving in peace.

• #1,912
OmCheeto said:
As I said, it was a good day today.

And a good day, is a good day, to die.

:smile:

Oddly enough, that describes how I feel during good days. For instance, a few weeks ago I went for a late-night walk, found a park, and laid down in the grass watching the stars, as I then drifted off into sleep for about half an hour. The entire time, I felt so peaceful that death was no longer a worry, but almost something that I would have embraced. Had any of you put a gun in my face that night, you would have been met with an overwhelming indifference.

This quote more than adequately, I think, summarizes the feeling:
John Buchan said:
I fancy it isn't the men who get most out of the world and are always buoyant and cheerful that most fear to die. Rather it is the weak-engined souls who go about with dull eyes, that cling most fiercely to life. They have not the joy of being alive which is a kind of earnest of immortality...

• #1,913
When is something too good?

North Dakota: Trouble in boomtown
http://news.yahoo.com/north-dakota-trouble-boomtown-093000351.html

• #1,914
  • #1,915
Enigman said:
I feel like my brain just had a bulldozer go over it...

Enigman said:
And now its swelling like a balloon.

These seem to be getting to be the norm rather than the exception...

:rolleyes:

• #1,916
zoobyshoe said:
I've been feeding feral cats for many years and they always have a hierarchy of who gets to eat first. The higher ranking cats will always leave something for the low ranking ones, but the low ranking ones have to sit and watch till their superiors are done. Hehe.

Interesting.

So netflix is now showing a cat version of the dog whisperer. I don't like the particular angle on it - it's called "My cat from hell." But it does show some interesting behavioral stuff.

• #1,917
AnTiFreeze3 said:
Oddly enough, that describes how I feel during good days. For instance, a few weeks ago I went for a late-night walk, found a park, and laid down in the grass watching the stars, as I then drifted off into sleep for about half an hour. The entire time, I felt so peaceful that death was no longer a worry, but almost something that I would have embraced. Had any of you put a gun in my face that night, you would have been met with an overwhelming indifference.

This quote more than adequately, I think, summarizes the feeling:

Thank you for pointing that out. I will have to read that book one day.

John Buchan said:
I know that my thoughts were chiefly about the jolly things that I had seen and done; not regret, but gratitude. The panorama of blue noons on the veld unrolled itself before me, and hunter's nights in the bush, the taste of food and sleep, the bitter stimulus of dawn, the joy of wild adventure, the voices of old staunch friends.

It sounds just like my life. Except without the war bits. I just watched those on the telly.

Yes. I must read this book...

After that we fell silent. A man's thoughts at a time like that seem to be double-powered, and the memory becomes very sharp and clear. I don't know what was in the others' minds, but I know what filled my own...

A literary genius in the use of...

:-p

• #1,918
dkotschessaa said:
Interesting.

So netflix is now showing a cat version of the dog whisperer. I don't like the particular angle on it - it's called "My cat from hell." But it does show some interesting behavioral stuff.
I've seen a couple episodes of that show. In so far as his advice seemed to have cured the bad behavior, I would have to say he understands cats.

• #1,919
AlephZero said:
I don't understand this story. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24591711

How come they found a rock in Utah that is more than 6000 years old? Somebody must be filling these kids' heads with non-creationist nonsense :devil:

Excuse me, but would you please refrain from making posts which remind me of some of my poorer posts...

Thank you.

-----------------------------
ps. I would apologize for my mockingly British accent, but, it is, your fault.

• #1,920
Yesterday, I sat at a table with four seats. One seat was empty. I was sitting reading Carroll's lecture notes on general relativity. The guy next to me was reading Livy. The guy opposite was doing exercises from An Introduction to Multivariate Statistics.

Not bad for the 7.30 commuter train on a Friday morning...

Last edited:
  • #1,921
Ibix said:
Yesterday, I sat at a table with four seats. One was empty. I was reading Carroll's lecture notes on general relativity. The guy next to me was reading Livy. The guy opposite was doing exercises from An Introduction to Multivariate Statistics.

Oh yeah...

Yesterday, I was coming back from break, and saw a moving van, with cartloads of books surrounding it. My guess was that they were coming in from the campus that we are shutting down. :cry:

I went up, and looked at the titles of the books, and saw "Quantum Electronics".

They were...

:cry:

• #1,922
trollcast said:

bah humbug
'Tis not the season. :-p

Ibix said:
Yesterday, I sat at a table with four seats. One seat was empty. I was sitting reading Carroll's lecture notes on general relativity. The guy next to me was reading Livy. The guy opposite was doing exercises from An Introduction to Multivariate Statistics.

Indeed.

I had a wonderful moment of personal growth today, I think. I took the PSAT, and for the first time I committed to paper that my intended major was "Mathematics." A three digit number (742) was all I had to put, but it felt meaningful after so many years of thinking that I wanted to go into medicine.

• #1,923
phinds said:

turbo said:
Now, it's moving to troll's nation. It sucks. And we were just talking about fall open-water fishing... Thieves steal our seasons. :frown: ... though I would like to enjoy Thanksgiving in peace.
A "Retail Nation" has it's rewards.

http://d190tr7arh6vya.cloudfront.net/cache/9a839802a25581c6/Array_Background_710_504_s_c1_c_t.jpeg

Compliments of http://www.butterball.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,924
dlgoff said:
A "Retail Nation" has it's rewards.

http://d190tr7arh6vya.cloudfront.net/cache/9a839802a25581c6/Array_Background_710_504_s_c1_c_t.jpeg

Compliments of http://www.butterball.com/

hmmm... My lizard brain just jumped over Halloween, and straight into Thanksgiving.

I'm either hungry, predicting cold winter, or have gone through male menopause.

---------------------
note to yesterday's Om: You used to like candy.

• #1,925
I'm reading the Three Musketeers by Dumas. What absolute fun.