Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
dkotschessaa said:
Congrats to me for being the first post on page 3

Oops. :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
What a weekend.

First, before 6:00 AM on Saturday, I get a call from my extremely distraught daughter. The night before was her and her cat's first night in their new place. This "new" place happens to be a trailer in the back yard of a house. She woke up, and her cat is no where to be found!

Sometime in the night, she left the trailer to go into the house to use the bathroom. She was afraid the cat got out at that time. In a new neighborhood, he'd be, well, very difficult to find :frown:.

But later in the day, she found him, hiding up under the driver's seat. You just can't imagine her relief.

Then on Sunday (again before 6:00!), I heard a big commotion in the yard. I rushed out to find a coyote eating one of my chickens ! I yelled and the coyote ran off. Then the chicken got up and ran to me! She didn't have any bleeding, and she wasn't limping. She had lost a lot of feathers though! The coyote had plucked her lower back :cry:. She spent the rest of the day sitting on her nest, recovering. But she's out in the yard today, eating and drinking. Seriously, another 30 seconds and it would have been too late.

Animal drama, animal trauma. But it's all good now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58137&stc=1&d=1366725352.jpg

Attachments

• 422116_520876737959985_1724115068_n.jpg
    422116_520876737959985_1724115068_n.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 516
lisab said:
But it's all good now.
I think there's a good chance the coyote will be back, though. You need to provide the chicken with a shotgun and drill on how to use it.

I'm bored.

Borg said:
I saw that and wondered whether it was still a banned topic on the forum. :-p

I have deleted the solstice December 2012 in my time machine.
I do not want to trigger a time quake and get banned on the forum.

lisab said:
... I heard a big commotion in the yard. I rushed out to find a coyote eating one of my chickens ! I yelled and the coyote ran off. Then the chicken got up and ran to me! She didn't have any bleeding, and she wasn't limping. She had lost a lot of feathers though! The coyote had plucked her lower back :cry:. She spent the rest of the day sitting on her nest, recovering. But she's out in the yard today, eating and drinking. Seriously, another 30 seconds and it would have been too late.

zoobyshoe said:
I think there's a good chance the coyote will be back, though.

Have chickens. Will ship.

lisab said:
What a weekend.

First, before 6:00 AM on Saturday, I get a call from my extremely distraught daughter. The night before was her and her cat's first night in their new place. This "new" place happens to be a trailer in the back yard of a house. She woke up, and her cat is no where to be found!

Sometime in the night, she left the trailer to go into the house to use the bathroom. She was afraid the cat got out at that time. In a new neighborhood, he'd be, well, very difficult to find :frown:.

But later in the day, she found him, hiding up under the driver's seat. You just can't imagine her relief.

Then on Sunday (again before 6:00!), I heard a big commotion in the yard. I rushed out to find a coyote eating one of my chickens ! I yelled and the coyote ran off. Then the chicken got up and ran to me! She didn't have any bleeding, and she wasn't limping. She had lost a lot of feathers though! The coyote had plucked her lower back :cry:. She spent the rest of the day sitting on her nest, recovering. But she's out in the yard today, eating and drinking. Seriously, another 30 seconds and it would have been too late.

Animal drama, animal trauma. But it's all good now.
{{{lisab}}}

Happy the cat was found, so glad you saved your chicken, poor thing. I hope you're able to create a secure area like dl did, a lot of work, but worth it.

Hey, I thought the internet was supposed to be shut down yesterday (according to Anonymous). Did I miss it? :smile:

congrats to me for being either the first post on page 4, the last post on page 3, or some other post.

darn

http://www.tickld.com/images/content/29695.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A coworker from another building came into my office this morning and asked if he could leave his black backpack in my office while he was in a meeting. :rolleyes:

Lyrassia said:
Random thought:

National Physics Day is on April 24th.

:biggrin:

Happy National Physics Day, everybody!

Today I got an e-mail from my sister in which she notes:

"I can't remember if I mentioned I went back east in March for a conference in Boston and also visited Alex and Jennifer. the place I stayed in Boston was right between the two Marathon blasts."

I said snuggle not smuggle. I'm a Dad not a pirate, yarrrr.

Likes gracy
Tonight when I was drawing in a coffeehouse a girl came over to look at my drawing. Turns out she is studying geophysics. That's the first one of those I've ever met.

Oh, my. I totally drained out my bucket-o-ranch tonight. Now I've got to go get another sooner than later.

back-in-the-2010s.gif

I wonder if the people at McDonalds "Sound-test" the names of their new products. I went to McD's
yesterday (hadn't been to it in a long time), and the cashier asked me if I wanted a McCrap ( turned out to be McWrap, Phew! ) with my meal. How can I reply? Er...please spell it for me before I give you a definitive answer... or : I think someone's in the bathroom right now...or : is that part of the meal?

Bacle2 said:
I wonder if the people at McDonalds "Sound-test" the names of their new products. I went to McD's
yesterday (hadn't been to it in a long time), and the cashier asked me if I wanted a McCrap ( turned out to be McWrap, Phew! ) with my meal. How can I reply? Er...please spell it for me before I give you a definitive answer... or : I think someone's in the bathroom right now...or : is that part of the meal?
Been to Kmart lately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I03UmJbK0lA

Likes WWGD
Bacle2 said:

I stopped by McDonalds for the first time in about 10 years this evening. (I was starving!)
I ordered a Big Mac.
What I heard from the "sound" device was; "Would you like anything besides your salad?"
Salad?
I just ordered a Big Mac. :confused:
"No thank you!", I said, "I JUST WANT A BIG MAC!"
"Would you like anything besides your salad?"
:mad:
So I turned and looked, and saw that the little LED display said; "1 Big Mac"
I ran though the things that old people like myself might interpret as "salad", and decided that she had said "Sandwich".

I said; "No thank you! I'll just have the sandwich!"

When did hamburgers become sandwiches?

Then, it will surprise you that the most American of all establishments, McDonald’s, sells a sandwich in India with primarily lettuce, tomato, onion, and salad dressing. Called the Salad Sandwich, this entree item sells where a large chunk of the population is vegetarian and has no problem eating a salad inside a sandwich bun.

salad-sandwich.jpg

http://milkmiracle.net/2010/02/16/food-at-the-cultural-divide/

10 fascinating facts about President Ulysses Grant
http://news.yahoo.com/10-fascinating-facts-president-ulysses-grant-093220428.html

Grant was a gifted writer. After leaving the presidency, Grant became ill and was financially destitute. His memoirs, written as he was dying from throat cancer, show a clear, concise style, and his autobiography is considered among the best, if not the best, written by a president.

And peace returned after a week with two nieces who brought four little kids staying over, complemented with two grandchildren. Somebody said never have the toddlers outnumber the adults. That's true.

All six on the beach.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22026080/kids.jpg

The moment the adults stepped back the group 'exploded'.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22026080/kid2.jpg But it was a good refresher for the French language

Last edited by a moderator:
collinsmark said:
Did she introduce herself appropriately?

(https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=687741)

Hmmm...not by your criteria, no. Also, unlike the person in that thread, this girl gave me the impression she was almost more about the math than the geophysics. She made a remark about getting exited when it came to the "creative" application of maths to the problem at hand. I asked her about the Earth's magnetic field but that seemed to bore her: she was all about earthquakes, which is why she had come to California.

First thing this morning, in a coffee deficient state, I done plopped down three hundred clams for Mathematica 9. (And yes I know that there are other, free programs out there that do about the same thing [I've used some of them before]. But what's done is done. What can I say.)

Mind you, I've never used Mathematica before, ever. When I started it up I had no idea what I was doing. It was easy to find a selection for "Getting Started With Mathematica." The selection merely takes you to a link on their website that has a collection of Getting Started With Mathematica videos. Unfortunately, none of them actually have anything to do with getting started with the thing and are nothing but marketing videos.

I eventually found the real "getting Started" instructions, but it took me awhile. ("2 + 2 SHIFT+ENTER." Ahh, the "SHIFT+ENTER" is what makes things work. Now I know what two plus two is. :smile:)

I just need to post here so that I can subscribe to this thread. I'm aware of the other option; namely, clicking the button up top. This just seems more... random.

Borg said:
Been to Kmart lately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I03UmJbK0lA

Wow, if they did it on purpose, they did a good job. Plausiblely deniable.

OmCheeto said:
I stopped by McDonalds for the first time in about 10 years this evening. (I was starving!)
I ordered a Big Mac.
What I heard from the "sound" device was; "Would you like anything besides your salad?"
Salad?
I just ordered a Big Mac. :confused:
"No thank you!", I said, "I JUST WANT A BIG MAC!"
"Would you like anything besides your salad?"
:mad:
So I turned and looked, and saw that the little LED display said; "1 Big Mac"
I ran though the things that old people like myself might interpret as "salad", and decided that she had said "Sandwich".

I said; "No thank you! I'll just have the sandwich!"

When did hamburgers become sandwiches?

I saw this place who's BLT was Bread, Lettuce and Tomato. I guess that is close to a salad
sandwich, or a salad (with two major croutons).

Andre said:

The moment the adults stepped back the group 'exploded'.

Poohdemonium?

My 6 brothers and sisters once left me and my poor old mother with their 6 toddlers for a weekend.

I was about 24, and ended up, never, ever, ever, having any children...

Oh god. I've just been told that I've seen "Gang Man Style" on the video.

All I saw was a Spiderman being creepy.

:confused:

dlgoff said:

This reminds me a bit of a sandwich we eat at the local fair.

Though it includes chicken.

So I guess it's a sandwich.

Though they call it a burger...

There was a myth that we added opium to get you addicted.

That cracked me up. o:) :-p

---------------------------
It was the shredded cabbage and carrots you fools!

Boulevard unfiltered wheat beer was on sale for $5 off a 12 pack, so I broke down and bought one. I love this beer, but I think it's been two - three years since I splurged on some. Glad I did.