Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
Borek said:
This one for micromass.

attachment.php?attachmentid=60215&stc=1&d=1373574093.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Edit: That's how I dance, btw :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Bacle2 said:
Besides, if Adam Sandler can pull of being called a comedian, and somone can , with a straight face, include him in the film "Funny People", then anyone can pull it off.

He's only called a comedian. Pluto was once called a planet - now it's a dwarf planet. Maybe history will set things right.

EDIT: Sorry, I obviously for some reason replied to a post written approx. 200 posts ago :biggrin:. I thought I was looking at the latest Random Thoughts page, but apparently not, haha.

Last edited:
Gad said:
Thanks HayleySarg. I've never had a migraine that lasts this long, just annoying.

Yes, they really are. I only get truly bad headaches once every few months. They knock me out for the day, and I can feel the residual pain for days after.

I hope you feel better.

Last semester I loved linear algebra. This summer I love abstract algebra. I think I'm becoming and algebraist.

I just got my Spivak calculus in the mail. Is it possible to be a Spivakist?

I logged onto Facebook tonight on someone else's computer. Later, I realized I'd forgotten to log off. I hope she's not evil.

I feel like not working this summer is going to be something I regret for the rest of my life.

That's unfortunate. Did you let go a big opportunity?

I think most of us let something slip through our grasp at some point. Best to try and stay positive.

I think they're cool. But I'm a bit creepy.

>=P

I've seen those. It's interesting to see how similar we are to our families.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
I've seen those. It's interesting to see how similar we are to our families.
The ones of siblings who are close in age say something pertinent. When they fuse parent and child I think the age difference just creates a grotesquerie. They ought to use a photo of the parent when they were the same age as the child.

*sigh*

So much self doubt. Yikes! Where did it come from? How do I get rid of it? =P

HayleySarg said:
*sigh*

Kill a virgin and eat its heart.

HayleySarg said:
*sigh*

At least you can be glad that you didn't come up with the idea for this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwsqFR5bh6Q

Borg said:
At least you can be glad that you didn't come up with the idea for this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwsqFR5bh6Q
OMG, you mean there is a bizzaro shark movie I haven't seen? That looks pretty bad.

Bahahahhaha. IT's true.

And... I'll get right on that Virgin killing thing. I just... I got the killing part down. I'm not so good about the first bit.

telescopes

I'm just curious,
but what are some sizes, filters and such does everybody use, if so.

krash661 said:
telescopes

I'm just curious,
but what are some sizes, filters and such does everybody use, if so.
It's not the size that matters, but how you use it!

Bandersnatch said:
It's not the size that matters, but how you use it!
This is not true for telescopes. Anything less than an 8 inch mirror, and you are wasting your time.

i found the same with 8 inches also,
so i bought( a cheap one) an 10 inch refractor.

zoobyshoe said:
This is not true for telescopes. Anything less than an 8 inch mirror, and you are wasting your time.

I... I have a 6in. dobsonian :frown:

It's not bad as a starting point, though.

I want to go to Costa Rica.

Last edited by a moderator:
krash661 said:
i'm sorry,
reflector,
i have no clue why i wrote,
refracter

and this is not my first telescope, it's just the newest.
but this is it.

but what I'm more interested in is what filters does every one use
I know nothing of filters. The most active telescope guy we used to have around here doesn't visit anymore, but he would have been the one to chat with.

Last edited by a moderator:
AnTiFreeze3 said:
I... I have a 6in. dobsonian :frown:

It's not bad as a starting point, though.
I bet it's fine for the moon and spying on people a mile away, but for planets you need the biggest mirror you can possibly get, I'd say.

zoobyshoe said:
I know nothing of filters. The most active telescope guy we used to have around here doesn't visit anymore, but he would have been the one to chat with.
Russ is a telescope guy, no?

Evo said:
Don't recall. I just remember Artman was really into it.

zoobyshoe said:
Don't recall. I just remember Artman was really into it.
I miss Artman :(

Evo said:
I miss Artman :(
If Artman were here now, he'd be banned for his sex jokes.

zoobyshoe said:
I bet it's fine for the moon and spying on people a mile away, but for planets you need the biggest mirror you can possibly get, I'd say.

For planets, it's not so much of an issue. Sure, if you want incredible detail and would like to have the highest magnification, that's the way to go, but you'll just end up being limited by the viewing conditions at those levels. I've had detailed views of Jupiter and it's great red spot (more orange-ish now), and have seen clear distinctions between its bands, and have had great views of Saturn as well.

A larger mirror is primarily beneficial for letting in more light so that you can see more objects, and can see objects like nebulae and other galaxies with more clarity and detail.

But I would agree that if you want some spectacular views of the planets, you'll want to get as large a telescope as possible.

Evo said:

Yeah, and he has some very nice equipment. I checked out his website that he provides here on PF, and he has taken some great photos.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
For planets, it's not so much of an issue. Sure, if you want incredible detail and would like to have the highest magnification, that's the way to go, but you'll just end up being limited by the viewing conditions at those levels. I've had detailed views of Jupiter and it's great red spot (more orange-ish now), and have seen clear distinctions between its bands, and have had great views of Saturn as well
I'm surprised you saw the Jupiter spot. I guess it depends on your eyepiece. I used to have a 4 inch and Jupiter and Saturn showed no detail. A 6 inch mirror is only somewhat over twice the area, so I wouldn't expect it to be that much better. People said 8 inch was the minimum, and I regretted having blown what I could have put toward an 8 inch on the 4 inch. Ideally, I wanted to break into Mt. Palomar and take that one home.

If I could sit all day and eat without becoming obese, I wonder at what point I'd get sick of eating for the day?

zoobyshoe said:
I'm surprised you saw the Jupiter spot ...

Well, there are variations like light pollution, atmospheric condition, etc. etc. that dictate how detailed of a view you can see. Living in Iowa, light pollution is not much of an issue, as compared to many more heavily populated areas in the US.

For the eyepiece, I had a 10mm, but also used a Barlow 2x lens, so my magnification was 240x, which should be enough to see some decent details on the planets.

zoobyshoe said:
... I regretted having blown what I could have put toward an 8 inch on the 4 inch ...

I've had the same feeling with my 6" dobsonian. I wish I knew about places like the cloudynight classifieds, where you can often find great deals on telescopes. Only a few weeks after purchasing (well... being gifted) my 6" dobsonian, I spotted an 8" reflector being sold there for less than what my 6" was :frown:

zoobyshoe said:
... Ideally, I wanted to break into Mt. Palomar and take that one home.

One can dream. I almost had the chance, when vacationing in California, to see this observatory, but it was out of session at the time.