Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #2,101
Green tea with coffee or Earl Grey with coffee?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,102
coffee with coffee?

Last edited:
  • #2,103
JorisL said:
coffee with coffee?

Need the antioxidants...but I still went with dark chocolate with coffee...does dark chocolate contain antioxidants?...

• #2,104
I believe so

• #2,105
Enigman said:

Earl grey with chocolate.

• #2,106
I had no choice that I have to go back to Italy :banghead: :cry:

• #2,107
Enigman said:

Hard scotch with coffee.

• #2,108
AnTiFreeze3 said:
Hard scotch with coffee.

I think you are confusing me with Hatter(quite terrible company really but excellent hats.) though he does prefer a boiling glass of Mercury...

• #2,109
My aunt had some mercury when she was a child. You could pour it on to a tray and it would form little droplets that you could roll around and merge together, a good few decades before Terminator 2.

She'd no madder than the rest of the family, so either she didn't absorb too much of it or she's baseline saner than the rest of us.

• #2,110
I used to break thermometers* for the mercury...Cheshire loved to play with those mercury balls...Playing until there was only a cat without a grin ...wait it was the other way around. Oh and March Hare recommends http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_poisoning#Elemental_mercury
-best wishes from wonderland!
##\mathcal E##

##\mathcal E##dit-*Don't try this at home...

Last edited:
  • #2,111
I break thermometers for the alcohol.

[This is not quite true - it was my lab partner who discovered that they pop quite nicely if you stick them in boiling water]

• #2,112
Ibix said:
I break thermometers for the alcohol.

[This is not quite true - it was my lab partner who discovered that they pop quite nicely if you stick them in boiling water]

Oh they will break quite nicely in much cooler water, if you get them too close to a stirring magnet :redface:.

• #2,113
lisab said:
Oh they will break quite nicely in much cooler water, if you get them too close to a stirring magnet :redface:.
I protect my baby.

http://imageshack.us/a/img208/1065/qzbc.jpg

She has great specs.

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/6798/glgw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,114
dlgoff said:
I protect my baby.

http://imageshack.us/a/img208/1065/qzbc.jpg

Nice flooring... I have two boxes of those oak tiles. :smile:

-----------------------------
ps. It took me all morning to mentally figure out that 203 was not a prime number. :redface:

• #2,115
OmCheeto said:
-----------------------------
ps. It took me all morning to mentally figure out that 203 was not a prime number. :redface:

Square root of 2 is 1.41, so square root of 200 is around 14 - that means you have to test divisibility only by numbers lower than 14. That leaves us with 7, 11 and 13 (203 is odd, so all even divisors are out of the question, 2+0+3=5, so 3 is out of the question too, and 203 doesn't end with 5 nor 0 so it is divided by 5 either). Let's start with 7 - 203=70+70+63=7*10+7*10+7*9. QED

• #2,116
Museum means a place of learning in Latin...
mmm...
:devil:-PF homepage screenshot would probably do...*
o:)-*...well to get us banned.
:-p

Last edited:
  • #2,117
This little house smells pretty good. I spent most of the morning breaking garlic bulbs (German White) into cloves and my wife is planting them for next year's crop. She also brought in a bush of rosemary for the winter. Not a bad combination. An apple pie baking would be over the top. I am already too spoiled.

• #2,118
Borek said:
Square root of 2 is 1.41, so square root of 200 is around 14 - that means you have to test divisibility only by numbers lower than 14. That leaves us with 7, 11 and 13 (203 is odd, so all even divisors are out of the question, 2+0+3=5, so 3 is out of the question too, and 203 doesn't end with 5 nor 0 so it is divided by 5 either). Let's start with 7 - 203=70+70+63=7*10+7*10+7*9. QED

I think my main problem was that I didn't remember that 7*9=63.
I blame this on all of those calculus classes I took.
Only now, though disuse, I can do neither calculus nor simple arithmetic.
If it were not for spreadsheets, I would be a complete imbecile.

ps. I just discovered that it would take a 50 watt Peltier* cooling device over 10 hours to freeze 20 ounces of water. At least I'm wise enough to do the calculations before building some of this junk. Though I did hobble together a complete science failure a few weekends ago, consisting of an automotive coil, battery, aluminum foil, and a bunch of wires. After the failure, I drew the schematic in my head, and decided I had created the worlds most awesomely useless RLC circuit. But at least it only cost me about 15 minutes. And, I didn't kill myself.
(pat on back, pat on back. good job Om)

* Peltier devices are purported to be only 10% efficient in their energy use.

• #2,119
Re-watching Robocop. Hee hee. ED-209. NUKEM (another quality home game from Butler Brothers). "I'd buy that for a dollar." 6000 SUX (an American tradition). Hee hee

Next up is Starship Troopers to continue the Paul Verhoeven theme.

Last edited:
  • #2,120
Hmmm...Alice is a good name...Alice Montenegro...M.Alice...I could work with that...now for the next two...

• #2,121
OmCheeto said:
I think my main problem was that I didn't remember that 7*9=63.
I blame this on all of those calculus classes I took.

One of my "epic arithmetic fails" was after spending too long debugging computer software and doing mental arithmetic in hex, which left me convinced that 5 times 8 was 36.

Don't tell me there is no logic to that error in either hex or decimal arithmetic. I already know that!

• #2,122
You know why programmers can't tell the difference between christmas and halloween, don't you?
31OCT = 25DEC

• #2,123
Ibix said:
You know why programmers can't tell the difference between christmas and halloween, don't you?
31OCT = 25DEC

So are we to blame programmers for xmas junk on sale already?

• #2,124
Testing post title function

Testing post title function
mm..symbols that go along with title are not coming up :\
ED- nope...not working.
Advance ed- icons came up
ED2:neither title or icon comes up...

• #2,125
OmCheeto said:
So are we to blame programmers for xmas junk on sale already?

Well, if we've got to blame somebody...:-p

• #2,126
How in the world is anthropology a science??

• #2,127
Evo from another thread said:
They were also a sockpuppet of a banned crackpot.

Just wondering-
How many times have you checked to see if I am not another banned user who got himself a sockpuppet?
(I would really be insulted if you say not even once...)

• #2,128
Enigman said:
Just wondering-
How many times have you checked to see if I am not another banned user who got himself a sockpuppet?
(I would really be insulted if you say not even once...)
I've never checked. *Goes to check*

EDIT: OMG! BANS ENIGMAN!

• #2,129
Evo said:
OMG! BANS ENIGMAN!

Few things aren't done; speed of light is not broken, Franzbear is never dead, Mr.E is never banned.

• #2,130
Enigman said:
Few things aren't done; speed of light is not broken, Franzbear is never dead, Mr.E is never banned.
I've accidentally banned innocent people, ask turbo, he reported spam and I banned him. Of course I immediately realized the mistake and resuscitated him before it was too late. :redface:

• #2,131
Interrogator said:
My thread amounted to nothing and I've had two of my posts deleted on my first day here. Not that I care, but I suppose I owe you this. It's Mackerel.

Okay, I'll do the honours
http://files.myopera.com/Chyren/files/fishSlap1a.gif
You are now officially initiated as a PF member. Congratulations.
Though I was hoping for Megalodon..*sigh* https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4507459&postcount=91
:biggrin:PF initiation ceremony
What's yours?
I have successfully evaded that question for a long time and I don't intend to get fish slapped...ever.
Evo said:
I've accidentally banned innocent people, ask turbo, he reported spam and I banned him. Of course I immediately realized the mistake and resuscitated him before it was too late.
As long as the Banhammer* is not aimed a me its good, else well...Cheshire taught me a couple of mimsical tricks...
*may not mind the banwhip though...

• #2,132
Enigman said:
How in the world is anthropology a science??
Anthropology definitely is a science. But like astronomy and cosmology, it often has to rely on observational data rather than experiments done in the laboratory. [Edit: although many smaller aspects in anthropology, carbon dating for example, do rely on laboratory data.]

Some would break down anthropology into two, smaller sets, physical (biological) anthropology and cultural (social) anthropology. Physical anthropology is the harder science of the two (cultural being "softer") and includes not only physical aspects of modern human biology/physiology, but also human evolution.

Some might also break those two down into four subsets; physical anthropology, cultural anthropology, archeology, and anthropological linguistics. Of which, there is overlap between them.

I have some friends with degrees in anthropology. 'Always makes for enlightening conversation.

[Edit: Based on many of those conversations, I have it burned into my neurons, (A) never, ever refer to an Ape as a "monkey" (particularly a Great Ape) and (B) Don't pronounce Neanderthal with /θ/ as the 'th' in "thin". It's pronounced with a hard, German /t/. I'll never make those mistakes again. :redface:]

Last edited:
  • #2,133
collinsmark said:
Anthropology definitely is a science...

Reminds me of my "Economics is about as scientific as Phrenology" post.

• #2,134
Actually, I quit recently found out that Anthropology is not the same a Archaeology. They always looked like that same word. But then I discovered, that all of my acquaintances, that I admired the most, were all Anthropologists.

I'm pretty sure I will never understand my fellow humans.

Nor chemistry, for that matter.

• #2,135
This is my 500th post! :biggrin:

Does anyone else find it odd that Galois was contemporary with the events of Les Misérables? In the context of modern algebra, there are plenty of lines from the musical that I can think of right off the top of my head that sound hysterical in terms of math.

For example, "I'm called Cosette" becomes "I'm called coset." :-p