Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #2,416
dkotschessaa said:
The other week I was riding my bike to school, and saw a helicopter directly overhead. I was starting to get a little paranoid, like it was following me or something. Then it came lower...lower... OMG it was heading right for me... I was starting to really freak out.

Then I realized I was riding my bike through a medical campus and it was a medivac.

I saw it land and tried to snatch a picture. The attached isn't very good. But there it is.

Makes me think of

helicopter_exercise.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,417
dkotschessaa said:
(at approx 1:47)
3 minutes until the end of my self imposed goof-off time cutoff. Will I go back to studying, or extend the threshold?

Welp.

• #2,418
dkotschessaa said:
The other week I was riding my bike to school, and saw a helicopter directly overhead. I was starting to get a little paranoid, like it was following me or something. Then it came lower...lower... OMG it was heading right for me... I was starting to really freak out.

Then I realized I was riding my bike through a medical campus and it was a medivac.

I saw it land and tried to snatch a picture. The attached isn't very good. But there it is.

Have you watched Goodfellas recently?

• #2,419
AnTiFreeze3 said:
Have you watched Goodfellas recently?

No, but it passes through my mind almost every time I see a helicopter overhead. So the notion never really dies.

• #2,420
dkotschessaa said:
No, but it passes through my mind almost every time I see a helicopter overhead. So the notion never really dies.
Quit the mob now. Squeal, and go into witness protection.

• #2,421
You buy a new one. Nothing wrong with the old one, it's just been superseded by something much better. But you don't throw the old one away.

Months or years later, you pick up the old one. Which applies to you?:

a.) It feels as familiar as the back of your hand. You can operate it as if you've never put it down.

b.) It feels like you've never seen it before. Your attempts to operate it are clumsy.

• #2,423
zoobyshoe said:
You buy a new one. Nothing wrong with the old one, it's just been superseded by something much better. But you don't throw the old one away.

a.) It feels as familiar as the back of your hand. You can operate it as if you've never put it down.

b.) It feels like you've never seen it before. Your attempts to operate it are clumsy.

c.) your wife made you throw it away when she made you buy a new one.

-Dave K

Last edited:
  • #2,424
zoobyshoe said:
Quit the mob now. Squeal, and go into witness protection.

That did NOT go well for M. Alice...until she got mad after that the mob was the one doing the squealing.
------------------------------------
[STRIKE]CEO[/STRIKE] Lawyer and Irish mob thingy...

• #2,425
zoobyshoe said:

(a)

I recently had the opportunity to program a BBC Model B for the first time in nearly 20 years. It was like riding a bike. The only weird thing was I'd forgotten how freakin' fast a ROM based OS boots...

• #2,426
Ibix said:
(a)

I recently had the opportunity to program a BBC Model B for the first time in nearly 20 years. It was like riding a bike. The only weird thing was I'd forgotten how freakin' fast a ROM based OS boots...

Congratulations!

I posted this because I've been having the opposite experience with old cameras.

• #2,427
Heard the baby's heartbeat for the first time. It sounds like a very happy little heartbeat. Stuck in my head like a song.

• #2,428
There was a very firey sky behind this fire station I passed this evening at sunset:

Attachments

• GHFS.jpg
    GHFS.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 378
  • #2,430
Astronuc said:
This Town Just Keeps Getting Worse…

http://billmoyers.com/2013/12/06/this-town-just-keeps-getting-worse…/
This Town just loves its circular metaphors — spinning and news-cycles and the revolving doors. As much as ever, it is a city of movers and shakers getting nowhere, except richer.

. . . .
And, it's not just the politicians. The DC area has 6 of the 10 richest counties in the United States.
For the second consecutive year, Loudoun County, Va., a 520-square-mile suburban mass that sits 46 miles from the White House, weighs in as America’s richest county.

While Loudoun ranks at the top, it’s far from alone on the list of wealthiest counties that surround Washington. In fact, it’s just the beginning. The neighboring counties of Falls Church City, Fairfax, Arlington and Prince William in Virginia and Howard County in Maryland all make the cut, giving the D.C. area six of the nation’s ten wealthiest counties. All boast median household incomes between $93,000 and $117,000 annually.

• #2,431
So much is happening all at once, it's crazy. I always have that feeling that I'm forgetting something important.

• #2,432
so tired...so hungry...so tired...so hungry...so tired...

5f1TfPv.gif

• #2,433
lisab said:
so tired...so hungry...so tired...so hungry...so tired...

5f1TfPv.gif
Where did you find this video of me?

• #2,434
lisab said:
So much is happening all at once, it's crazy. I always have that feeling that I'm forgetting something important.

THIRTEEN SQUARED! :-p

and, the Boxer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzUEL7vw60U​

ps. Someone pointed at me today and said; "Balaclava!"

I thought he was an idiot, as we were discussing someone who was always bringing me baklava to impress me, and I gave him the evil eye, and the question: "Do you not know how to say Baklava"?

He said; "What? Your hat is a Balaclava."

I googled it, and he was correct. I was wearing a Balaclava. Never heard that word before.

But, as you can imagine, my mind went wild with Balaclava, Baklava, Balalaika, and Lake Baikal, for the rest of the day.

It made me smile.

:smile:

pps. And I made everyone listen to Lara's Theme. :redface:

as no one knew what a Balalaika was...

kids. :!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGWE6zJKXk​

• #2,435
The Boxer is perhaps my most favorite S&G song.

Currently listening to BB King's Bluesville on Sirius. One interesting treat is that they feature Hugh Loarie (Dr Greg House) now and again. The guy is a pretty competent pianist and trends toward blues.

• #2,436
I love my new jacket. It is a fleece-lined hooded jacket (don't shoot me, GZ!) and it keeps me toasty. My wife has to take a neighbor to the factory store, and will pick up another jacket for me, if they are still in stock. The items in the factory store are about 50% off normally, and she gets another 60% off that discounted price, so stuff is really cheap. I won't live long enough to wear out a second jacket, but they will need to be washed frequently - polar-fleece = dog-hair magnet.

• #2,437
I just read a spy novel where the special forces guys and also the terrorists were always donning their balaclavas.

Controversy and concealment[edit]

British Police in Kent confiscated the War on Terror board game partly due to the inclusion of a balaclava. Police said it "could be used to conceal someone's identity or could be used in the course of a criminal act".[10]

Some balaclava-wearing sympathisers of kitty Riot were arrested in Marseille, France in August 2012 for being in breach of the French ban on face covering.[11]

A balaclava may also be used for concealment purposes, in the course of illegal activities by criminals, and occupationally by SWAT and Special Forces personnel. It may also be used by irregular military forces or paramilitary organizations to conceal their identities and has been used as an identifying feature in fictional representations of such groups.
-wiki

• #2,438
lisab said:
5f1TfPv.gif

Someone needs to redo their nails.

• #2,439
Evo said:
Where did you find this video of me?

Ha! I knew you weren't edible.
:devil:Stop dieting you are as thin as a celery stick.

• #2,440
Math is beautiful.

http://www.upworthy.com/math-is-astoundingly-beautiful-and-weve-found-the-video-to-prove-it-aa3-7a-2

• #2,441
Astronuc said:
Math is beautiful.

http://www.upworthy.com/math-is-astoundingly-beautiful-and-weve-found-the-video-to-prove-it-aa3-7a-2

This is very cool. I was kind of expecting one of those sentimental videos of fibonacci sequences on butterflies and what not, but this was not that at all.

• #2,444
I hate goodbyes...

• #2,447
I'm bored! I need something to look forward to...

• #2,448
A Formula for Happiness
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/opinion/sunday/a-formula-for-happiness.htm

Arthur Brooks [president of the American Enterprise Institute] provides interesting perspective and insight.

One key to happiness through work [includes academics] is 'earned success'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
  • #2,449
Astronuc said:
A Formula for Happiness
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/opinion/sunday/a-formula-for-happiness.htm

Arthur Brooks [president of the American Enterprise Institute] provides interesting persepctive and insight.

One key to happiness through work [includes academics] is 'earned success'.

I get this, when I click on that link:

Become a New York Times digital subscriber

$3.75/week

:cry:

ps. Should I make LisaB "earn" her $200,000,000?

It might sound like an indecent proposal to others, but to me, it would be; "Tell me why Platinum is less reactive than Nickel, and then you can have your bloody money...". :-p

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,450
Lisa! said:
I'm bored! I need something to look forward to...

Come to chat! :smile:

Likes 1 person