Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #2,486
Evo said:
I'm thinking that one works and the other is defective, one of the boxes was open, the tape had been sliced open all around. I think it's a cruel joke for complaining. :frown:

What was really weird was the Fed Ex guy, he was giving me the third degree "are you supposed to get two?" "why did you get two?" "let me see that first box again", "I should just take this one back".

I told him hell no you aren't taking one without any documentation, I might be stupid, but I'm not dumb.
Dang. I have a Fed Ex delivery friend and he told me that he was trained to not interfere. "If you suspect there may be illegal drugs in a package, deliver it unless you actually see the contents coming out of the package. I'm surprised by your guys questions. Now's the time to be making a telephone call. :mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,487
Evo said:
So, was I stupid or honest to advise them they sent too many machines or just stupidly honest?

I do stuff like this all of the time, I found a wad of cash at a Walmart in the change dispenser when they had those automated checkouts, and turned it into customer service. The woman looked at me like I was nuts. She asked me who it belonged to. I said I didn't know. She asked me what to do with it, she didn't seem to want to be bothered with writing it up. I told her if no one claimed it, then maybe she could keep it, that lit her eyes up. I guess I know where that money went as soon as I walked out. Oh well, at least I didn't keep it.
There was a feature article in the paper here quite a few years back that told the story of two people who had found large sums of cash and did the right thing, bringing it to the police. In both cases the person who lost it came forward and claimed it. THEN, though, both of the honest people went on to acquire an even greater windfall, one won the lottery and the other got a big inheritance they weren't expecting. They both felt that their honesty had been rewarded by a just universe where tabs are kept, sort of thing.

However, this guy I know at a cafe told me two opposite stories where people who had found things lost by rich people and returned them were both generously, generously, I say, dripping with sarcasm, offered a $5.00 reward for their trouble. One guy returned an expensive set of golf clubs, the other a wallet with several hundred dollars in cash in it.

The reason he mentioned these incidents was in response to my having found a wallet in the parking lot there. It had about $300 in cash in it, credit cards, etc. and a driver's license. I was about 100% sure the woman would be back very soon looking for it, so I set it on my table and waited. She arrived in about ten minutes and I walked over and gave it to her. She eyeballed me with severe suspicion, checked the contents, then muttered, "thanks," and walked agitatedly away.

I sort of understood. When you lose something as important as a wallet you are filled with dread, paranoia, suspicion. She couldn't quite shed that all of a sudden just because the wallet was rescued, and she probably wondered if I hadn't picked her pocket for some devious reason.

Anyway, sometimes honesty is rewarded and sometimes you get kicked for it. I don't know what to tell you.

• #2,488
Borek said:
Each time I see the red hat of the snowman at the top bar I think it is a facebook notification.
I've clicked on it 5 times now, trying to get my message.

• #2,489
dlgoff said:
Dang. I have a Fed Ex delivery friend and he told me that he was trained to not interfere. "If you suspect there may be illegal drugs in a package, deliver it unless you actually see the contents coming out of the package. I'm surprised by your guys questions. Now's the time to be making a telephone call. :mad:
I wouldn't let him take it because although I assumed (correctly) that they had no record of sending it to me, that returning it with no information would have resulted in confusion. And if it was on record and it was just returned to the warehouse, no telling what would have happened. As it was, they didn't know what to do when I called to report it, since they had no record of sending it, it didn't exist and they didn't know how to take it back. I suggested that it was meant to be, it was my lucky day, it's the Christmas season, but they said no, they'd take it back, although they had no idea how to put it back into inventory, they had never had anyone report an extra shipment before. They did give me a coupon for $30 of coffee for my honesty.

• #2,490
zoobyshoe said:
The reason he mentioned these incidents was in response to my having found a wallet in the parking lot there. It had about $300 in cash in it, credit cards, etc. and a driver's license. I was about 100% sure the woman would be back very soon looking for it, so I set it on my table and waited. She arrived in about ten minutes and I walked over and gave it to her. She eyeballed me with severe suspicion, checked the contents, then muttered, "thanks," and walked agitatedly away.

I sort of understood. When you lose something as important as a wallet you are filled with dread, paranoia, suspicion. She couldn't quite shed that all of a sudden just because the wallet was rescued, and she probably wondered if I hadn't picked her pocket for some devious reason.

Anyway, sometimes honesty is rewarded and sometimes you get kicked for it. I don't know what to tell you.
How odd. I've always been honest and never got a thing. But I always think of all of the times honest people found my ex-husband's wallet (he was constantly losing everything).

• #2,491
Evo said:
I suggested that it was meant to be, it was my lucky day, it's the Christmas season, but they said no, they'd take it back, although they had no idea how to put it back into inventory, they had never had anyone report an extra shipment before. They did give me a coupon for $30 of coffee for my honesty.
That should just about cover the restocking fee invoice you'll be getting. You don't really think the coupon indicates how your life has been IS going to change do you? :devil:

• #2,492
Has anyone lost their car keys? I found some near my house last night.

• #2,493
The last 20 random thoughts remind me of my life.

Evo, the second coffee maker was a marketing trick.

The kids at Papa Murphys once accidentally gave me an extra can of anchovies for my pizza. I ended up leaving them 5, 10, & once a $20 tip for the next several months. I buy pizzas from them almost every week.

Seven years ago I lost my wallet in the river. While looking for it 3 months later, a man came up and asked me if my name was OmCheeto. I said yes, and he said that his daughter had found my wallet. There was no money missing, so I gave her the $100 reward.

That same year, I helped save a woman from drowning, and helped rescue about $2000 out of the $3000 she had in her purse. She tried to give me a several hundred dollar reward. I said no, and told her the story of my lost wallet. Her friend insisted I take something, as the rescuee was "voodoo level" superstitious. I said $40 was adequate. The next day, I found a $400 pair of sunglasses sitting on the beach.

Just this Tuesday, an acquaintance ran out of money at the video poker machine, so I handed him a $20 bill, with no strings attached. He won $650, and gave me half.

I think I'll buy myself a Carhartt Jacket for xmas. o:)

• #2,494
zoobyshoe said:
There was a feature article in the paper here quite a few years back that told the story of two people who had found large sums of cash and did the right thing, bringing it to the police. In both cases the person who lost it came forward and claimed it. THEN, though, both of the honest people went on to acquire an even greater windfall, one won the lottery and the other got a big inheritance they weren't expecting. They both felt that their honesty had been rewarded by a just universe where tabs are kept, sort of thing.

However, this guy I know at a cafe told me two opposite stories where people who had found things lost by rich people and returned them were both generously, generously, I say, dripping with sarcasm, offered a $5.00 reward for their trouble. One guy returned an expensive set of golf clubs, the other a wallet with several hundred dollars in cash in it.

I do. If you don't mind me using this sort of terminology, creating good "karma" is not about a one to one correspondence between "good deed done" and "deed rewarded." It's about cultivating particular qualities - honesty, generosity, etc. by doing certain things over and over. The "reward" is in both the positive states of mind that result from cultivating these qualities and the lack of agitation/remorse that would come from acting differently.

Anyway that is far from random.

-Dave K

• #2,495
Sarcasm comes from a word that means 'tearing flesh'...how nice.

• #2,496
Enigman said:
Sarcasm comes from a word that means 'tearing flesh'...how nice.

Oh REALLY... That's SOOO interesting. I'm SO glad I know THAT fact now...

• #2,497
That's heart rending.

• #2,498
Enigman said:
That's heart rending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziH9St7ajuw

This has been making me LOL for years now.

• #2,499
dkotschessaa said:
The "reward" is in both the positive states of mind that result from cultivating these qualities and the lack of agitation/remorse that would come from acting differently.
Sounds good, but my personal experience when I returned that woman's wallet was to be left feeling agitated when I realized she suspected me of having engineered it's disappearance somehow. Before that I was all chuffed because I felt like I was going to make someone's day, that it would be cool to see her relief and joy when she got it back. Instead, I got kicked. But like I said, I can sort of understand where her head was at.

• #2,500
Borrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddd...time for that coffee...

• #2,501
Enigman said:
Borrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddd...time for that coffee...

Try some chocolate, too.

• #2,502
Just watched Red Rock West. Quite good for a completely random and unknown movie.

• #2,503
Quantum Physics keeps me up all night.

• #2,504
The hairy biker's lost forever and the brick wall's finally broken...[/end sleep deprived rant.]

• #2,505
dlgoff said:
Quantum Physics keeps me up all night.

And a long night it is! Happy Solstice, everyone.

• #2,506
I need to work on the nitty gritty instead of selling the sizzle.

• #2,507
lisab said:
And a long night it is! Happy Solstice, everyone.

I was just thinking that, watching a familiar shape, in the upper atmosphere, morph into something unfamiliar from my front porch a few minutes ago.

I wish I had a decent camera, and a decent tripod...

No one will ever believe what I just saw in the sky. :frown:

space.invaders.on.the.2013.winter.solstice.jpg

• #2,508
OmCheeto said:
I was just thinking that, watching a familiar shape, in the upper atmosphere, morph into something unfamiliar from my front porch a few minutes ago.

I wish I had a decent camera, and a decent tripod...

No one will ever believe what I just saw in the sky. :frown:

space.invaders.on.the.2013.winter.solstice.jpg

Coincidentally, I just played Asteroids at a friend's house. Another kid and I teamed up and played MegaMan for an hour.

EDIT: I googled Asteroids and realized the game you were mentioning was Space Invaders. I played them all, either way.

• #2,509
Garanties pour 10 ans!
(lorsqu'elles sont entreposées.)

• #2,510
AnTiFreeze3 said:
Coincidentally, I just played Asteroids at a friend's house. Another kid and I teamed up and played MegaMan for an hour.

EDIT: I googled Asteroids and realized the game you were mentioning was Space Invaders. I played them all, either way.

whatever...

:approve:

Happy Solstice + 1, everyone!

• #2,511
Christie-47 | Enigman-6

• #2,512
AnTiFreeze3 said:

Some old, classic games are playable online here:
[removed link]

EDIT: I removed the link since on a second visit to it, the site asked me for my email .

Last edited:
  • #2,513
Pointing is rude:
http://www.pointerpointer.com/
but sometimes its just pointless...

• #2,514
Enigman said:
Pointing is rude:
http://www.pointerpointer.com/
but sometimes its just pointless...
Good point.

• #2,515
Sad note: there was a roll-over car wreck only about 50 meters from our house. The road was blocked for a while, and two ambulances have rolled away so far, neither in any hurry :frown:.

• #2,516
lisab said:
Sad note: there was a roll-over car wreck only about 50 meters from our house. The road was blocked for a while, and two ambulances have rolled away so far, neither in any hurry :frown:.

Lack of hurry can be a good news too, can't it?

• #2,517
Borek said:
Lack of hurry can be a good news too, can't it?

That's what I'm hoping.

• #2,518
  • #2,519
What on Earth is wrong with youtube!
Every single time I visit youtube, I see a "عرض YouTube باللغة العربية" message on the top of the page. I used google translate and apparently it asks me whether I want to use youtube in Arabic? What?! So I always hit the cross to close this message, but then it's back again when I revisit the website.
I don't watch videos in Arabic, I don't understand Arabic and I don't live in a country where Arabic is spoken. I don't have any settings in google account where I have set "Arabic" as my tongue... Why this bothering message then?
Then at the bottom of the page, it says "Country: Spain", I always switch it to Argentina (I live in Argentina), because I do not want to see recommended videos that are popular in Spain... But then again, as soon as I close the web browser and re open it and enter youtube, it is reset to Spain. That's really annoying.

• #2,520
fluidistic said:
What on Earth is wrong with youtube!
Every single time I visit youtube, I see a "عرض YouTube باللغة العربية" message on the top of the page. I used google translate and apparently it asks me whether I want to use youtube in Arabic? What?! So I always hit the cross to close this message, but then it's back again when I revisit the website.
I don't watch videos in Arabic, I don't understand Arabic and I don't live in a country where Arabic is spoken. I don't have any settings in google account where I have set "Arabic" as my tongue... Why this bothering message then?
Then at the bottom of the page, it says "Country: Spain", I always switch it to Argentina (I live in Argentina), because I do not want to see recommended videos that are popular in Spain... But then again, as soon as I close the web browser and re open it and enter youtube, it is reset to Spain. That's really annoying.
So, you want us to cry for you, Argentina?