Collection of Science Jokes P2

In summary: Usually it's been commentated as being 'real'. Actually the joke dates back to the 30's and whether it's real or not cannot be said anymore.
  • #3,606
jack action said:
The car probably rolled at most 2 car lengths past the starting line before it stopped and the team had to forfeit. Both the professor and the other student looked at me and said: "You called it!"
Ouch! Maybe they should have been in the Aerospace department. Or maybe not... :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,607
berkeman said:
Ouch! Maybe they should have been in the Aerospace department. Or maybe not... :smile:
I don't think so.

To illustrate: The nose of their car was made of styrofoam but at the pre-race inspection, the judges determined that the minimum length in front of the feet wasn't respected (it happens when you don't read the rules correctly).

To be able to race, they had to cut it in the middle and increase its length by inserting some material. The duct tape used to hold everything together was just giving a nice visual cue to anyone looking at the car of its engineering value.

I remember discussing with the team leader when they were working on the car, begging him to reconsider participating in the race because the project was such a mess. He told me that his strategy was not to make the best car they could but to hope for competitors worse than them. I was left speechless.

• Wow
Likes BillTre