Collection of Science Jokes P2

In summary: Usually it's been commentated as being 'real'. Actually the joke dates back to the 30's and whether it's real or not cannot be said anymore.
  • #1,961
Why don't mathematicians go on holidays in sunny countries?

Because they can get a tan by dividing a sin by a cos.

Likes Klystron, Wrichik Basu, davenn and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,962
Why didn't Gauss contribute to group theory?

Because he wasn't Abel.

• Haha
Likes Demystifier, Klystron, Wrichik Basu and 2 others
  • #1,963
1607312914109.png

• Haha
Likes DennisN, jack action and Ibix
  • #1,964
7 reviews from 12 guests? Way too many, that's how you know it's fake!

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Wrichik Basu, davenn and 2 others
  • #1,965
I was planning to do my taxes in hexadecimal this year. That will put me in a lower bracket.

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #1,966
Ivan Seeking said:
I was planning to do my taxes in hexadecimal this year. That will put me in a lower bracket.
Why not do it the right way? I recommend the sexagesimal system and cuneiform! And in case you were asked, you can say that IRS means "Information via Rosetta Stone".

Likes EHope
  • #1,967
_nc_ohc=pGTFySa7qM0AX9gBwPh&_nc_ht=scontent-dus1-1.jpg

• Haha
Likes DennisN, BillTre, sysprog and 1 other person
  • #1,968
Indifferent, because Descartes certainly knows that A=>B does not imply B=>A.

Likes Demystifier, BillTre and sysprog
  • #1,969
mfb said:
If you take it seriously, then he didn't even say A=>B, because he only made a statement about himself.

• Informative
Likes BillTre, sysprog and Keith_McClary
  • #1,970
I think that Descartes understood that cogito ergo sum did not ipso res entail that non cogito ergo non sum ##-## thinking entailing being does not entail that not thinking entails not being ##-## he proclaimed that the fact of his thinking was a sufficient condition wherefrom to derive the fact of his being; he did not thereby identify thinking as a necessary condition for being.

Likes EHope and BillTre
  • #1,971
davenn said:
I have heard it's a dull place to visit. The only entertainment available are flags that don't even move. And there is no transportation. If you want to go somewhere you have to bring your own car.
Also, the service is terrible. And the WiFi coverage is absolutely horrible.

• #1,972
DennisN said:
I have heard it's a dull place to visit. The only entertainment available are flags that don't even move. And there is no transportation. If you want to go somewhere you have to bring your own car.
Also, the service is terrible. And the WiFi coverage is absolutely horrible.
There are some golf carts for rent. You only need to bring some batteries. However, the entire 12,000,000 holes course is a bunker.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes BillTre, davenn and DennisN
  • #1,973
It's a lightly contested course so it's easy to set new records. And you have such a great view of Earth!

Social distancing and airtight face shields are guaranteed, too.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
  • #1,975
mfb said:
It's a lightly contested course so it's easy to set new records. And you have such a great view of Earth!

Social distancing and airtight face shields are guaranteed, too.
"Always look at the bright side of the Moon"
:smile:

Armstrong to Aldrin: "Are you a person who looks at the oxygen tank and says 'it's half empty or half full?'"

• #1,976
Another good thing about the Moon is that it is very peaceful there.
It is so silent you could almost hear a feather fall as quickly as a hammer.

Likes Klystron, Vanadium 50 and Keith_McClary
  • #1,977
DennisN said:
I have heard it's a dull place to visit.
No atmosphere.

• Haha
Likes Klystron, Keith_McClary, fresh_42 and 2 others
  • #1,978
mfb said:

It was a statement of observer dependence - he exists because he thinks he exists.

He used bra-ket notation in his original meditations.

• #1,979
Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 9.45.58 PM.png

• Informative
Likes collinsmark, davenn, Keith_McClary and 4 others
  • #1,980
Adam Savage for World Leader.

Likes davenn and BillTre
  • #1,981
Christmas themed

1607546728903.png

• Love
Likes chemisttree, Wrichik Basu, collinsmark and 3 others
  • #1,982
Rene Descartes's little known little brother, Bob, suffered from lifelong body order necessitating daily immersion in the Zuider Zee. Said Bob:

I stink; therefore, I swam!

Likes BillTre
  • #1,987
gmax137 said:
attention @chemisttree
So, what’s most funny about it? The tree (I spell it ttree) or the warning to me not to touch it?

Likes gmax137
  • #1,988
An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar. The first asks for a pint of beer. The second asks for half a pint. The third asks for a quarter-pint. The fourth asks for an eighth of a pint.

The bartender interrupts to say, "I'll serve the whole group two pints, and that's your limit!"

• Haha
Likes EHope, Demystifier, atyy and 4 others
  • #1,991
If you have an MRI done and then float on your back in a pool immediately afterwards, you will act like a human compass.

Tell your friends on Reddit. LOL!

With that in mind, true story: I used to work on mobile MRI units mounted on buses. They would travel to a hospital, power up the magnet, do some number of studies, power down, and then drive to the next hospital. On one occasion I had arrived at the hospital just as the MRI arrived. The operator came up to me looking a little faint. He was in a bit of a panic. He had forgotten to purge the 0.75 Tesla or so magnet before driving. He said he kept noticing cars swerving at him as they drove by. :oops:

The magnet was kept superconductive so it didn't need power to operate once charged.

I always wanted to park one up against a hardware store wall.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Likes Keith_McClary, Borg, Ibix and 2 others
  • #1,992
I wonder how many credit card strips got wiped that day?

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking and Keith_McClary
  • #1,993
Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 8.30.57 AM.png

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #1,994
Borg said:
I wonder how many credit card strips got wiped that day?

Driving down the road? I don't know if it could have wiped cards in passing cars or not. I know that one time a D8 Cat got too close to one at a hospital site. That was bad. I don't know who won the tug of war but they ended up crunching together. Those magnets are insanely powerful.

One night I was working alone and needed to get to something on top of the magnet which was charged. We had Beryllium tools. And the chairs and other hardware were supposed to be stainless. So I grabbed a chair, slung my arm through the back so I could carry my tools, and walked into the magnet room. By the time I felt the tug on the chair indicating that it was NOT stainless but instead a regular chair, I was airborne. I probably flew a few feet through the air as the chair sought the center of the field and crashed into the magnet. It about yanked my arm off. And I hit my head when I crashed into the magnet but I was okay. I had to use a manual winch with about a 20 foot cable extended to get the chair out.

Back when I first started, we had a [very old] WWI vet at one hospital. The pin in his leg from the war was made of very low quality stainless and the magnet pulled the pin out before they could get him out of the field.

This was a fun demo we did from time to time.

Also

And

Likes collinsmark and BillTre
  • #1,995
Ivan Seeking said:
Also
In the middle video they are lucky the cable didn't snap!

Likes Wrichik Basu and Ivan Seeking