Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
What English cheeses do you know? It's probably the first one.

Likes 1oldman2
Science news on Phys.org
Jonathan Scott said:
What English cheeses do you know? It's probably the first one.
English cheeses would be an area I'm unfamiliar with, however I have a feeling I'll learn a little more about them when I return from an appointment with my wife's doctor today, Thanks much. :thumbup:

1oldman2 said:
English cheeses would be an area I'm unfamiliar with,
It's a very familiar cheese in the USA as well, although it originates from England.

Likes 1oldman2
There are still some difference between British English and the US english

Bebecol said:
There are still some difference between British English and the US english

Thanks Bebcol, this is a very common cheese in the UK and i think it goes by the same name in the US.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
OK, I've found time to think up another one which I'll post in a moment, so here's the answer to Wolram's riddle.
The clue refers to caves (where stalactites grow on the roof) in the Cheddar Gorge. The main one is Gough's Cave, here: 51.2820578,-2.7657362

Here's mine (stuffed with clues, so shouldn't be too difficult):

With fish and shell in hand
Near music, drama, art
He rules the sea on land
In this city's cultural heart

If I were thus undressed
With fountains everywhere
This pose I'd only test
When summer warmed the air

Likes 1oldman2
Is it the statue of Neptune in Versailles?

wolram said:
Is it the statue of Neptune in Versailles?
You're along the right lines (right god, different name, different country).

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
You're along the right lines (right god, different name, different country).
Sorry got AFK there for a few days, are we talking about Poseidon here? if so I need to figure out some locations.

1oldman2 said:
Sorry got AFK there for a few days, are we talking about Poseidon here? if so I need to figure out some locations.
A clue to that is in the second last line of my little poem.

Likes Pepper Mint and 1oldman2
So does Milos figure in?

1oldman2 said:
So does Milos figure in?
Sorry, no, I think you've gone astray there.

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
Yes, that's him.

That's the statue of Poseidon in Götaplatsen in Gothenburg, Sweden (where I lived and worked from 1983-1987) in the square between the concert hall, museum of art and theatre. Did you spot my contrived inclusion of the name "Poseidon" in the second last line?

OK, over to you again.

Likes wolram and 1oldman2
Yes i did spot your clue in line 7:biggrin: some one else can have a go i have not thought one up.

Likes 1oldman2
:wink: Here we go then. If you spanned the Southern Cross, It is nearly 6,000 Arc seconds from the Pleiades to Melbourne. Where would this be located?

Likes wolram
1oldman2 said:
:wink: Here we go then. If you spanned the Southern Cross, It is nearly 6,000 Arc seconds from the Pleiades to Melbourne. Where would this be located?
You have me on this one 1oldman2 i would not have a clue how to work it out:frown:

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
You have me on this one 1oldman2 i would not have a clue how to work it out:frown:
Here is your first clue, "It is a real location/area on planet earth", and of course located in the southern hemisphere. Since the riddle involves an area rather than a specific location don't sweat the details.

I guess you mean the Pleiades in Tasmania, not in the sky.

Jonathan Scott said:
I guess you mean the Pleiades in Tasmania, not in the sky.
Not the sky or Tasmania.

1oldman2 said:
Not the sky or Tasmania.

I think you have stumped us on this one 1oldman2

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
I think you have stumped us on this one 1oldman2
Impossible! This local is a little "out of the box" but it will make perfect sense in the end. Don't let the astronomical terms lead you astray. :wink:

Well, there's a Southern Cross near Warnambool, Victoria, Australia, and if one takes a line from that towards Melbourne, then about 100 nautical miles (6000 arc seconds around the earth) from Melbourne there's an area shown on the map called "The Sisters" on the Noorat-Framlingham Road (although there's no mention of "Seven"). Is that what you have in mind?

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Well, there's a Southern Cross near Warnambool, Victoria, Australia, and if one takes a line from that towards Melbourne, then about 100 nautical miles (6000 arc seconds around the earth) from Melbourne there's an area shown on the map called "The Sisters" on the Noorat-Framlingham Road (although there's no mention of "Seven"). Is that what you have in mind?
Wow, I can't believe all of the parallels you have come up with, but no that is not the answer. You are as they say "getting warmer" though.

1oldman2 said:
You are as they say "getting warmer"
Okay then, let's just say the warmer you get the colder you will likely be. :cool:

1oldman2 said:
Okay then, let's just say the warmer you get the colder you will likely be. :cool:

I think it is time to come clean 1oldman2, i have spent a lot of time on this one and can not figure it out.:frown:

Okay I noticed that with a search engine version of this, the riddle has to be a little ambiguous to be much of a challenge, so here goes. search by enabling volcanoes and earthquakes in the side pain, look at Antarctica, check geography :smile:

That suggests that we are talking about the Pleiades volcano and Mount Melbourne, which too are about 100 nautical miles apart, in the part of Antarctica nearest to New Zealand, but I don't get the bit about spanning the Southern Cross. There was a ship called the Southern Cross involved in the first expedition which visited the interior of Antarctica (a few years before Amundsen and Scott) including Mount Melbourne. However, it's not there now; it returned safely and later sank in a storm off Newfoundland.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and 1oldman2
Well done, Jonathan Scott. I've been following this thread's ramblings even though I stopped playing. 1oldman2 showed no mercy :biggrin:

:partytime::partytime:

Likes 1oldman2
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Well done, Jonathan Scott. I've been following this thread's ramblings even though I stopped playing. 1oldman2 showed no mercy :biggrin:

:partytime::partytime:
:partytime::bow::partytime:

Jonathan Scott said:
That suggests that we are talking about the Pleiades volcano and Mount Melbourne, which too are about 100 nautical miles apart, in the part of Antarctica nearest to New Zealand, but I don't get the bit about spanning the Southern Cross. There was a ship called the Southern Cross involved in the first expedition which visited the interior of Antarctica (a few years before Amundsen and Scott) including Mount Melbourne. However, it's not there now; it returned safely and later sank in a storm off Newfoundland.

yup this was the wrong Pleiades.:smile:
pia19836-ngc2174.jpg

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
1oldman2 said:
yup this was the wrong Pleiades.:smile:
That doesn't look like any Pleiades at all to me. After a bit of image searching I reckon it's an Spitzer infrared image of NGC 2174, the Monkey Head Nebula.

Likes 1oldman2 and ProfuselyQuarky
Jonathan Scott said:
That doesn't look like any Pleiades at all to me. After a bit of image searching I reckon it's an Spitzer infrared image of NGC 2174, the Monkey Head Nebula.
Details... :smile:

Likes 1oldman2