Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
Science news on Phys.org
Here we go:

If you can only sing poorly go to this island anagram brain and find its neighbor, then find one of the worlds biggest attractions.

Likes 1oldman2
Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
Here we go:

If you can only sing poorly go to this island anagram brain and find its neighbor, then find one of the worlds biggest attractions.
Which one are you thinking of? I presume it's on Sentosa, Singapore.

Jonathan Scott said:
Which one are you thinking of? I presume it's on Sentosa, Singapore.

It is presume ably the wolds largest.

wolram said:
It is presume ably the wolds largest.
Perhaps not any more. The "Marine Life Park" Wikipedia article says the following:

The S.E.A. Aquarium (South East Asia Aquarium) was the world's largest aquarium by total water volume until overtaken by Chimelong Ocean Kingdom in Hengqin, China.

Likes wolram
I was hoping for confirmation, but assuming I've guessed right I'll continue anyway.

In the 1970s I did some work in another European country, in a city with an old and unusual railway, probably the first of its kind. It looks like something from the "Thunderbirds" TV series, and follows the line of a river for much of its route. To wrap up, let us know the name of the city!

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Perhaps not any more. The "Marine Life Park" Wikipedia article says the following:

The S.E.A. Aquarium (South East Asia Aquarium) was the world's largest aquarium by total water volume until overtaken by Chimelong Ocean Kingdom in Hengqin, China.

Well done :biggrin:

Jonathan Scott said:
It is indeed. Wuppertal = anagram of "wrap up, let".

Over to you again.

I was hopping 1oldman2 would be around to cast another riddle , if not i will have to have time to think of another.

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
I was hopping 1oldman2 would be around to cast another riddle
(Processing) :wink:

Allrighty then, :ok:
She was old, when she was "exhumed" she was named after a girl in a Lennon/McCartney tune dated 1967. Tell me where she was buried. :check:

1oldman2 said:
Allrighty then, :ok:
She was old, when she was "exhumed" she was named after a girl in a Lennon/McCartney tune dated 1967. Tell me where she was buried. :check:
Near the village Hadar in the Awash Valley of the Afar Triangle in Ethiopia...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:check:

Likes 1oldman2
OCR said:
Near the village Hadar in the Awash Valley of the Afar Triangle in Ethiopia...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:check:
:bow: Excellent! but now you know who's turn it is. (Most people don't recognize the "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" connection with her name) :partytime:

1oldman2 said:
Excellent! but now you know who's turn it is.

(Processing) :wink:

Likes 1oldman2
OK, ready or not...

Folklore says a small population still lives there, and legend proposes that after a young boy falls into a bonfire, his face is left horribly scarred. He receives the name "Burnt Face", because of this accident... also, there are plenty of what's referred to as counting coup involved in these legends...

Where did these legends originate ?Note: all italicized words are clues, more or less; this is a tough one...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :approve:

Likes 1oldman2
OCR said:
OK, ready or not...

Folklore says a small population still lives there, and legend proposes that after a young boy falls into a bonfire, his face is left horribly scarred. He receives the name "Burnt Face", because of this accident... also, there are plenty of what's referred to as counting coup involved in these legends...

Where did these legends originate ?Note: all italicized words are clues, more or less; this is a tough one...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :approve:
:iseewhatyoudid: in the Pryor mountains, according to Crow legend (Chief plenty coups ?) live the " Awwakkulé". The story of "Burnt face" or "lost boy" comes from these legends. :bow:(All hail the power of the mighty search engine!):bow: Dang it, how did i come up with the darker letters there?

Likes OCR
1oldman2 said:
Dang it, how did i come up with the darker letters there?

Lol... you really, really, must have irritated the Little People ...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:oldlaugh:

Dang nice job though... :thumbup:[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] and, I left too many clues...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:oldtongue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pryor_Mountains
ps:
Dang it, how did i come up with the darker letters there?
Lol, I think you copied Awwakkulé from Wikipedia®, and that made all the rest of your text bold... see?

You can just highlight the copied/pasted text and hit the "B" button...
that should unbold it.

You can also copy/paste to notepad, recopy, and paste in the reply text box... :check: ? [COLOR=#black]...[/COLOR]:oldbiggrin:

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
If i may slip this one in:

One goes to the country to escape the smog and exhaust fumes to find this.
This equipment is designed to find large sized objects 100s of kilometers away.

Name a place where thees two clues apply.

This one should not take long :biggrin:

Likes 1oldman2
There must be a lot of sites involved in space surveillance around the world, and most of them are way out in the countryside to get clear skies. For example, there's one at Chilbolton, only a few miles from where I live. Or was the first part of the clue intended to be cryptic in some way?

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
There must be a lot of sites involved in space surveillance around the world, and most of them are way out in the countryside to get clear skies. For example, there's one at Chilbolton, only a few miles from where I live. Or was the first part of the clue intended to be cryptic in some way?

Yes the first part is a clue, and it is not space junk:biggrin:

Jonathan Scott said:
sites involved in space surveillance around the world,
I'm stuck along that line of thought myself however cryptic clues can go down a lot of paths. I think I'll "punt" and see if wolram drops another clue. :sorry:

Johnathan is all most right, it is not space junk you are looking for but something else that does not orbit the Earth.

My original thought was a meteorological radar site (for rainfall radar and similar) but the reference to large sized objects didn't seem to fit. I also considered Early Warning Radar systems (for missile attack and similar) but that's part of space surveillance now.

Likes wolram
Jonathan Scott said:
My original thought was a meteorological radar site (for rainfall radar and similar) but the reference to large sized objects didn't seem to fit. I also considered Early Warning Radar systems (for missile attack and similar) but that's part of space surveillance now.

You are correct by saying it is an icbm tracking station, now what is the name of the station.

In that case I guess the relevant site (clearly not in the UK) is also part of the space surveillance network after all.

wolram said:
You are correct by saying it is an icbm tracking station, now what is the name of the station.
DEW line... ?
or
NWS... ?

Likes wolram
OCR said:
DEW line... ?
or
NWS... ?
Nope think of the first line in my clue.

Jonathan Scott said:
(clearly not in the UK)
I think that's a clue too, if I'm right.

Jonathan Scott said:
I think that's a clue too, if I'm right.

That is correct Johnathan,

Are we talking about Thule AFB in Greenland? o_O

1oldman2 said:
Are we talking about Thule AFB in Greenland? o_O
No; the clue is specifically quite clear about the correct location.

Likes 1oldman2
Is it clear now?

Likes 1oldman2