Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
  • #1,121
Mr. Scott you have the com

Likes tionis
Science news on Phys.org
  • #1,122
New one:

This spectacular scenic location in the North of England is one of the highest in volume as well as height. It sounds as if it might have something to do with physics (especially Newton's second law), but the relevant word in the original name meant a moat or ditch.

Likes tionis
  • #1,123
Offas dyke?

Likes tionis
  • #1,124
wolram said:
Offas dyke?
Sorry, no, and if you think that's in the North of England I think your map is the wrong way up.

Likes tionis and hsdrop
  • #1,125
Gaping Gill??

Likes tionis
  • #1,126
hsdrop said:
Gaping Gill??
Not the answer I was looking for, but closely related in some ways.

Likes tionis
  • #1,127
Think about the physics bit of the clue. Or follow some Star Wars advice.

Likes tionis
  • #1,128
Perhaps Gaping Gill is the highest, but this one's high and more visible.

Likes tionis
  • #1,129
hmmmmmmm

Likes tionis
  • #1,131
hsdrop said:
Yes, that's right! You spotted how to use the "Force"!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Force
The word "Force" in the name was originally "Fosse" or "Foss" which was a Nordic word for waterfall, but could be confused with the Anglo-Saxon "Fosse" as in "Fosse Way" meaning a ditch or moat. It's only about 35 miles from Gaping Gill. We visited High Force on our family holiday in 2015.

Over to you.

Likes tionis, hsdrop, 1oldman2 and 1 other person
  • #1,132
wish i could come across the pond to see it for my self
give me a few to come up with a good one my bed room laptop is not working the best so I am trying to get it going quick before i give you guys a good riddle but with in a day ill have one posted i already have a couple of places in mind so it will not take me too long

Likes tionis
  • #1,133
sorry everyone for taking so long

You can't get there by parachute so you must start at the lake that is suspended up high
if you follow the river down past the storm king and onto the mountain that never gets snow on it
then follow the rig north west till you get to 2 bodys of water then turn north between them
when the rifle falls you think it would go bang but that not the sound you hear when you get there
even throw it should be 3 times louder than most all you hear is one
drip drip drop

please post a pic or a link to a pic or map :cool::-p
this is a place that I use to live and I miss the overwhelming beauty of the place

Likes tionis
  • #1,134
hsdrop said:
if you follow the river down past the storm king and onto the mountain
OK, so first off, are we speaking of the Hudson River and Storm King Mt. of NY state ?

Likes tionis
  • #1,135
1oldman2 said:
OK, so first off, are we speaking of the Hudson River and Storm King Mt. of NY state ?
lol well at least you got the right country but not the right state try going west a ways

Likes tionis
  • #1,136
hsdrop said:
try going west a ways
Good advice, Here's what I have so far... a picture of Rifle Falls, in a part of Colorado with to many familiar names to be a coincidence. I'm thinking the "drip drip drop" just may refer to the three channels the falls take.
6056130.jpg

Colorado.PNG

Likes tionis
  • #1,137
yep you got it:partytime:

Likes tionis
  • #1,138
Likes tionis and 1oldman2
  • #1,139
1oldman2 said:
Good advice, Here's what I have so far... a picture of Rifle Falls, in a part of Colorado with to many familiar names to be a coincidence. I'm thinking the "drip drip drop" just may refer to the three channels the falls take.
View attachment 108674

View attachment 108675
your up oldman lol

Likes tionis
  • #1,140
hsdrop said:
your up oldman lol
Back soon :smile:

Likes tionis and hsdrop
  • #1,141
In the meantime, try solving this one:

Peace unto Queen Calafia
They call me ''The Red''
My sister, in seeded apple
Is made of rock and clay

• #1,142
Not had much time to look at this one, but I've just had a look now.

First line suggests La Paz in Baja California Sur, Mexico.

Third line in conjunction with first suggests La Paz, Granada, Spain (seeded apple = pomegranate = Granada).

I have not made any progress on the second or fourth lines.

Likes tionis
  • #1,143
Jonathan Scott said:
I have not made any progress on the second or fourth lines.
Granada in Spain is of course associated with the Alhambra, which roughly means "The Red One", so that might relate to the second line. There is also an Alhambra in California.

Likes tionis
  • #1,144
glad you getting this one I am lost

Likes tionis
  • #1,145
The clues seem to relate to the Alhambra, but in that case I don't know what La Paz and California have to do with it. Very confusing.

Likes tionis
  • #1,146
Jonathan Scott said:
The clues seem to relate to the Alhambra, but in that case I don't know what La Paz and California have to do with it. Very confusing.
Alhambra it is! :partytime: Well done, Mr. Scott!
Over to whoever lol.

• #1,147
tionis said:
Alhambra it is! :partytime: Well done, Mr. Scott!
Over to whoever lol.
Please can you explain the clues?

Likes tionis and collinsmark
  • #1,148
Jonathan Scott said:
Please can you explain the clues?

Peace unto Queen Calafia (clue to California's city of Alhambra once you put the other clues together)
They call me ''The Red'' ( Alhambra, means the red one)
My sister, in seeded apple (location of the other Alhambra in Spain)
Is made of rock and clay (Alhambra castle in Granada is made out of rock and red clay)

• #1,149
tionis said:
Peace unto Queen Calafia (clue to California's city of Alhambra once you put the other clues together)
So the word "Peace" was not intended to be a clue at all? That line was just referring to California? And it's just a coincidence that there are "La Paz" locations both in Mexico's Baja California and in Granada, Spain? And the final answer is the Californian Alhambra, not the one in Spain?

Likes hsdrop, 1oldman2 and tionis
  • #1,150
so who's next ?

Likes tionis
  • #1,151
hsdrop said:
so who's next ?
We were hoping @1oldman2 would come up with one soon. For the next few days, I have a lot of orchestra stuff to do after work, so I'm not sure when I'll next have time to think of a new one myself.

Likes 1oldman2, tionis and hsdrop
  • #1,152
ill take the next day or so to come up with a couple of new one in case i get the next one or get a chance to post one up my self

Likes tionis
  • #1,153
Jonathan Scott said:
So the word "Peace" was not intended to be a clue at all? That line was just referring to California? And it's just a coincidence that there are "La Paz" locations both in Mexico's Baja California and in Granada, Spain? And the final answer is the Californian Alhambra, not the one in Spain?

The word peace was intended to be a clue, but not in the context of a city, but as an islamic greeting. I was going to use the word salaam, but a quick google search would have given it away too easily. So in the riddle, the city of Alhambra is greeting the state of California in an islamic fashion. Then, she speaks of another sister Alhambra in the following lines which give clues to its location. Because you had already figured out that it was either the one in Spain of Cali, I didn't see the point of pressing you for a more specific answer. :wink:

Likes Jonathan Scott
  • #1,154
ok guys I think I got one for you'll lol

when all saints come marching in
and ask Why Is A Raven Like A Writing Desk?
just remember it not the question but wait you would sit them to look out the colorful windows
I must be mad

Likes tionis
  • #1,155
hsdrop said:
ok guys I think I got one for you'll lol

when all saints come marching in
and ask Why Is A Raven Like A Writing Desk?
just remember it not the question but wait you would sit them to look out the colorful windows

I must be mad
All Saints Lunatic Asylum, Apple Valley, California? (It's not the only All Saints Asylum, but seems the most likely one).

Likes tionis and hsdrop