Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
Are we talking about the "compromise of 1790" meeting at 57 Maiden Lane? If so, that was actually in Manhattan, and although Maiden Lane followed the course of an old brook (which for a while ran down it), I can't find any reference to its name.

Likes 1oldman2
Science news on Phys.org
Jonathan Scott said:
Are we talking about the "compromise of 1790" meeting at 57 Maiden Lane? If so, that was actually in Manhattan, and although Maiden Lane followed the course of an old brook (which for a while ran down it), I can't find any reference to its name.
That's very good but consider another Manhattan.

I don't know of any other Manhattan which could be relevant to this. (I started by looking at avenues and other streets, and I also investigated whether Manhattan in Montana would fit the rest of the clue, but couldn't find any connection).

The meeting was supposed to result in the capital being moved from the Susquehanna river to the Potomac river, but as far as I can see neither was particularly local to the meeting locality.

Jonathan Scott said:
whether Manhattan in Montana would fit the rest of the clue
sooo close... "A river from three peoples names", Jefferson's secretary of states name was...?

1oldman2 said:
sooo close... "A river from three peoples names", Jefferson's secretary of states name was...?
I was thinking of Alexander Hamilton, from 1790, but clearly you were thinking of Albert Gallatin, in which case the location is Three Forks, where the three rivers merge to form the Missouri.

Likes collinsmark and 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
the Missouri.
:smile: well done, I guess at this point the clues are obvious.

1oldman2 said:
:smile: well done, I guess at this point the clues are obvious.
Interestingly misleading! String quartet rehearsal this evening, so will try to think up new one tomorrow.

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Interestingly misleading!
nearly a "catch-22" approach for a riddle, but with the search engine aspect almost a necessary evil. It does have the benefit of encouraging "out of the box" reasoning though. Hope your rehearsal goes well, there are few things in the world finer than good music done properly. :music::ok:

Today the weather was unexpectedly very pleasant, sunny but not too hot, so we spent most of the day at some gardens only a bit more than half an hour's drive away, looking at the amazing rhododendrons, azaleas and camellias, as well as lots of other types of flowers and trees. We also paid the extra for the other family activity at the same location - what is it? It's come up before on the forums.

P.S. Q: What has big red flowers and is extinct? A: A Dododendron.

Likes 1oldman2
Is this an ex-thread? Should I bury it with the dododendron?

Jonathan Scott said:
Today the weather was unexpectedly very pleasant, sunny but not too hot, so we spent most of the day at some gardens only a bit more than half an hour's drive away, looking at the amazing rhododendrons, azaleas and camellias, as well as lots of other types of flowers and trees. We also paid the extra for the other family activity at the same location - what is it? It's come up before on the forums.
Is bee keeping involved?

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Sorry, AFK and MIA for a few there. :sorry:

Jonathan Scott said:
We also paid the extra for the other family activity at the same location
Zoo... ?

Or, petting zoo... ?Lol, yeah I know... wrong! ...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:oldtongue:

collinsmark said:
Is bee keeping involved?
Sorry, no.

OCR said:
Zoo... ?

Or, petting zoo... ?
Sorry, no. It shouldn't be necessary to guess, and I've already given a clue to confirm the name of the place.

Jonathan Scott said:
Sorry, no. It shouldn't be necessary to guess, and I've already given a clue to confirm the name of the place.
:frown: Hmm.

1oldman2 said:
:frown: Hmm.
It's not meant to be difficult; if you Google for a garden with the relevant types of flowers near where I live it's probably going to be the first hit. It's a big place.

Likes 1oldman2
This has got to be "it" :smile: http://www.exbury.co.uk/
In this case I was misleading myself by making it more difficult than need be. (Not the first time that has happened :doh:)

1oldman2 said:
This has got to be "it" :smile: http://www.exbury.co.uk/
In this case I was misleading myself by making it more difficult than need be. (Not the first time that has happened :doh:)
Yes, that's the right location, as hinted here:
Jonathan Scott said:
So what do you think the additional family activity was?

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
So what do you think the additional family activity was?
Of course the first guess would be the train ride, however I'll begin looking for alternate answers now.

1oldman2 said:
Of course the first guess would be the train ride, however I'll begin looking for alternate answers now.
Yes, it was the steam train ride. I'll never be too old for that.

Over to you again...

Likes 1oldman2
back soon

If all goes well, on new years day 2019, this lone "Planet" will visit a new local. name the local.

Are you stretching "All around the World" into the Kuiper Belt, then?

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Are you stretching "All around the World" into the Kuiper Belt, then?
That would be the case. :ok:

1oldman2 said:
That would be the case. :ok:
Well, that confirms that I'm probably thinking of what you're thinking of, but for now I'll leave it for others to try, as I don't have any ideas for new ones.

Likes 1oldman2
Sorry i have not been around for a while, is this the planet you mean:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/01/feature-astronomers-say-neptune-sized-planet-lurks-unseen-solar-system

Likes 1oldman2
No not that one, Think of the root of "Planet" the answer is more accurately a "Dwarf planet", however I used the term planet to describe something other than the intended target.

The date should be the giveaway when combined with the general location (assuming my guess is right).

Likes 1oldman2
wolram said:
The only other one i can come up with is Sedna
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90377_Sedna
Sedna was new to me, I found that interesting :thumbup: However I believe JS is definitely on the right track, his clue should wrap this up.

I love the provisional names they call new KBOs and their moons before their official naming, especially Santa and Rudolph (now Haumea and Hiʻiaka), Easter Bunny (now Makemake), and Xena and Gabrielle (now officially Eris and Dysnomia). However it's none of those.

Jonathan Scott said:
I love the provisional names they call new KBOs and their moons before their official naming, especially Santa and Rudolph (now Haumea and Hiʻiaka), Easter Bunny (now Makemake), and Xena and Gabrielle (now officially Eris and Dysnomia). However it's none of those.
I thought I new a little bit about asteroids comets and such but after this I realize there is a huge body of "objects" out there. This should keep the folks cataloguing and naming them busy for a while. I recently downloaded the Cosmographia simulation DennisN posted about, very cool and it gives a lot of perspective on just how much "stuff" is out there. :smile: