Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
Jonathan Scott said:
quite clear about the correct location.
A "give away" clue right before my eyes. :doh:
Okay, "I got one!". a place named for a sonnet, "Batter my heart, three-person'd God" by John Donne. Name the place. :smile:

Science news on Phys.org
Do you mean the Trinity test site?

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Do you mean the Trinity test site?
Dang your fast! well I guess the "balls in your court" :wink:

1oldman2 said:
Dang your fast! well I guess the "balls in your court" :wink:
Didn't even have to Google for that one!

But it could take me a while to come up with another one.

Likes 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Didn't even have to Google for that one!
Very nice, you know your history :bow:
Jonathan Scott said:
But it could take me a while to come up with another one.
My patience is one of my best virtues, I await the next riddle. :smile:

OK, I'm looking for the name of a structure which was opened in 2OO7 after being converted from a previous purpose; it sounds like it would be an unsafe environment for flammable materials.

Likes 1oldman2 and wolram
Jonathan Scott said:
OK, I'm looking for the name of a structure which was opened in 2OO7 after being converted from a previous purpose; it sounds like it would be an unsafe environment for flammable materials.

I have no idea where to start with this one, may we have a clue.

There's a hidden clue (which may look like a typo) in there as well as what it says.

You could make it safer by adding nitrogen to the area.

Jonathan Scott said:
You could make it safer by adding nitrogen to the area.

The only thing i can come up with is some sort of oil rig?

wolram said:
The only thing i can come up with is some sort of oil rig?
The "nitrogen" clue had a double meaning, neither of which was literal.

And have you spotted some apparently incorrect typing in the first clue?

I'll explain one of the meanings of the "nitrogen" clue, but it will probably make it too easy:
Insert "N" in the word "area"

I would guess the [itex] \mathrm{O_2} [/itex] Arena.

Google Maps Link:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...x981ded0cf3b9dadf!8m2!3d51.503038!4d0.0031543

The-O2-Arena-Photo6.jpg

The hint was @Jonathan Scott's use of the the upper case letter "O" as opposed to the proper zero "0" when stating the year of opining, 2OO7. (As opposed to 2007).

Likes 1oldman2
collinsmark said:
I would guess the O2 Arena.
You guessed correctly, and spotted the first hidden clue.
O2 (oxygen gas) sounds like an unsafe environment for flammable materials.
Adding nitrogen would of course make it safer, and adding "N" to "area" gives "Arena".

do you mean the o2 arena?

Darn beaten to it.

wolram said:
do you mean the o2 arena?
Yes, I meant the O2 (which contains the arena) but collinsmark got there first!

Your go collinsmark.

Here's my challenge:

I'm looking for a former place of business involving entertainment and libations (or specifically, live music and heavy drinking). When the place was originally opened, the generas of music that it planned to feature was bluegrass, country and blues (not necessarily in that order). While it never did quite succeed with its original plan, it nevertheless became one of the most influential* music scene locations of the latter half fourth of the 20th century for a different genera.

Where/what is/was this place?

By the way, it's closed down now. But Google Maps still has a reference to it.

*[Edit: If "one of the most influential" is too strong of phrase, then "one of the most notable" should safely suffice.]

Last edited:
Too many clues! I found it as the top hit in Google from my first search. It's apparently a 2013 film too. But I'll let others try.

Likes collinsmark
Hmm. Still no takers though. Here's another hint:

The order of the original, planned generas is important.

Not Amazingrace.

Here's another indirect hint:

Cover me with kisses, Baby
cover me with love
roll me in designer sheets
i'll never Get enough
emotions come, i don't know why
cover up love's aliBi​

collinsmark said:
Here's another indirect hint: ...
Well, that definitely confirms I'm thinking of the right place.

Likes collinsmark
When you name it, I expect you get something like heebie jeebies...

Likes collinsmark
Jonathan Scott said:
When you name it, I expect you get something like heebie jeebies...

Sorry johnathan, i can not get my head around clues for a while, give a couple of days and i will be okay again.

Likes collinsmark
Another hint:

watCh out you might get what you're after
Boom babies stranGe But not a stranger
i'm an ordinary guy
burning down the house​

Likes 1oldman2
collinsmark said:
Another hint:

watCh out you might get what you're after
Boom babies stranGe But not a stranger
i'm an ordinary guy
burning down the house​
You have found the perfect way to distract me from a task, all I can think of is David Byrne songs and an occasional Blondie tune while I'm contemplating the connection of the capitalized letters. I'm waiting for the "Epiphany" to strike, don't give up on me. o_O
( I see the C=country, B and G=bluegrass, B=blues but sometimes I have a hard time thinking outside certain boxes.)

Likes collinsmark
This really doesn't require any thinking, just a couple of seconds of Googling!

Likes 1oldman2 and collinsmark
Okay, another hint then.

The location is within an area that some might say is sort of like a man wearing a hat of tan color.

1oldman2 said:
( I see the C=country, B and G=bluegrass, B=blues but sometimes I have a hard time thinking outside certain boxes.)

No need to think outside the box with that. That's pretty much on the direct track.

Likes 1oldman2
collinsmark said:
Okay, another hint then.

The location is within an area that some might say is sort of like a man wearing a hat of tan color.
No need to think outside the box with that. That's pretty much on the direct track.

I am sorry Collinsmark, i have schizophrenia and it is very hard for me to solve clues while i have an out break, for some reason i am having an over long period
of voices in mt head, i hope you will continue the thread and i will get back as soon as possible.

1oldman2 said:
Definitely time to think inside the box.
collinsmark said:
That might have narrowed it down if it wasn't already obvious!

In a few days (after my concert this weekend) I might have time to think up something new, in which case I'll give the answer to this one (if no-one has spotted it by then), but I suspect that either no-one is playing or no-one wants to come up with a new one. If the latter, please just answer anyway but ask for someone else to take over...

Not Manhattan Mt. :headbang: Sorry guys I really deserved that, be back soon. (In my defense this place was entirely new to me, once again I was overthinking the obvious.)

CBGB.PNG

Last edited:
1oldman2 said:
Not Manhattan Mt. :headbang: Sorry guys I really deserved that, be back soon. (In my defense this place was entirely new to me, once again I was overthinking the obvious.)

View attachment 102892
There you go.

CBGB, usually affectionately referred to in the possessive form CBGB's when spoken, was a bar in Manhattan. The name is an initialism for Country, Bluegrass and Blues. Hilly Krystal, the owner/creater, named it that when it opened because he had thought that country music and blues music were going to be the next big things. But the bar took a different direction.

CBGB's has been called a "dive" bar, even a "dump." It's bathroom was so horrifying that it became legendary in its own right.

But the main thing CBGB had going for it was the bands that played there. Some examples of bands that were either "discovered" there, or at least played there regularly immediately before making it big were,
  • Talking Heads
  • Blondie
  • Ramones
  • Patti Smith Group
  • Television
'Mostly punk rock bands. But the bar did make a name for itself big enough such that that in its hey-day, bands would travel from all around the world to play there. And tourists would do the same to drink there.

Map Location:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...8cd4bb8212fbd5!8m2!3d40.7552196!4d-73.9935317

Okay, @1oldman2, you are up. :smile:

Likes 1oldman2