Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
wolram said:
Okay i have come up with Caucasus mountain range.
Wrong! Do try again. :wink:

Science news on Phys.org
collinsmark said:
The Balkans?

The Balkans is the correct answer.:partytime: Over to you. :woot:

Does anyone want to try this one as a fill in.

Here is a quickly if no one minds.

Sounds like mum rose to this challenge, but lost all hope when ben failed to succeed
All you have to do is find all 282 of them.:biggrin:

As I said when that came up before, that one's too easy; I don't even have to Google it.

:headbang:

wolram said:
Sounds like mum rose to this challenge, but lost all hope when ben failed to succeed
All you have to do is find all 282 of them.:biggrin:
Jonathan Scott said:
As I said when that came up before, that one's too easy; I don't even have to Google it.
Actually, checking back, perhaps I didn't actually say that in the thread because someone else replied before I posted it. But it's still true, at least for many people living in the UK. "All 282" is the giveaway (in Google too).

Okay the board is ready for a new riddle.

Here's what I hope is a relatively easy one:

This park's namesake is a twisted, spiky organism that, of the Agave family, looks like it did not exit a Dr. Seuss book. (Until recently, it was considered a giant member of the Lily family, but DNA studies in a red hill mining town led to the divisions in god's country.) Look where mothers of the disappeared are running to stand still with or without you. Trip through your wires to get to bullet, the blue sky, before reaching one tree hill. And I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Please include a map link (or at least some coordinates or something to indicate the location) of the park. If you insist on indicating a particular building where the streets have no name, any building within the park will be accepted.

Last edited:
Sounds like a U2 album.

Likes collinsmark
collinsmark said:
Here's what I hope is a relatively easy one:

This park's namesake is a twisted, spiky organism that, of the Agave family, looks like it did not exit a Dr. Seuss book. (Until recently, it was considered a giant member of the Lily family, but DNA studies in a red hill mining town led to the divisions in god's country.) Look where mothers of the disappeared are running to stand still with or without you. Trip through your wires to get to bullet, the blue sky, before reaching one tree hill. And I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Please include a map link (or at least some coordinates or something to indicate the location) of the park. If you insist on indicating a particular building where the streets have no name, any building within the park will be accepted.
Okay, it's been a day and a half now, so time for a hint. (although, @Jonathan Scott might well be on the right track.)

The place you are looking for is a park. By "park" I mean a place where one goes to experience nature and stuff; a place where people are allowed, and sometimes even encouraged to visit, so long as they do not disturb or destroy the nature and natural ecosystem in and of the place. Give me a specific location of anywhere in the park (like coordinates or a Google Maps link).

The name of the park is named after a specific organism. The name refers to the common name of that organism. That organism might be a plant, animal, fungus, bacteria, whatever (I'm not telling you which, that would be too big of a hint).

(Also, there's already a really big hint strewn about original puzzle, quoted above.)​

Last edited:
So, let's give this a try --- "Kakadu?"

Bystander said:
So, let's give this a try --- "Kakadu?"

Sorry, but no. That's not the answer for which I was looking.

There is a Kakadu National Park, yes, but I as far as I know, there isn't an organism called "Kakadu." According to the wiki, "The name Kakadu may come from the mispronunciation of Gaagudju, which is the name of an Aboriginal language formerly spoken in the northern part of the park." So that doesn't quite fit.

The park for which I am looking is named after the organism. You probably have heard the common name of the organism from a different source; a source of which has a hint sprawled about the original wording of the riddle.

collinsmark said:
The park for which I am looking is named after the organism.

Joshua Tree National Park!

Likes collinsmark
Jonathan Scott said:
Sounds like a U2 album.
You got there first lol. Your turn, Mr. Scott.

tionis said:
You got there first lol. Your turn, Mr. Scott.
Firstly, although your guess is the same as mine was, it hasn't yet been confirmed by @collinsmark and I didn't actually give the answer.
Secondly, my "spare time" is very limited this weekend as I have to create a newsletter, programme booklet and various other publicity materials for my orchestras, so I do not expect to have time to think one up for a few days. I think that @hsdrop might like a go after some close finishes recently.

Likes hsdrop and tionis
Collinsmark gave you a a like. To me, that is an unspoken confirmation.

tionis said:
Joshua Tree National Park!
Correct! :smile: Joshua Tree National Park is the answer. (Map link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...77eda73aeb9de2!8m2!3d33.873415!4d-115.9009923)

Allow me to explain the hints in the original riddle:

collinsmark said:

Here is a description of the Joshua Tree [organism] from the park's own website (https://www.nps.gov/jotr/learn/nature/jtrees.htm):

Surrounded by twisted, spiky trees straight out of a Dr. Seuss book, you might begin to question your map. Where are we anyway? In wonder, the traveler pulls over for a snapshot of this prickly oddity; the naturalist reaches for a botanical guide to explain this vegetative spectacle; and the rock climber shouts “Yowch!” when poked by dagger-like spines on the way to the 5.10 climbing route.

Known as the park namesake, the Joshua tree, Yucca brevifolia, is a member of the Agave family. (Until recently, it was considered a giant member of the Lily family, but DNA studies led to the division of that formerly huge family into 40 distinct plant families.)​

The other big hint:

Yes, as @Jonathan Scott hinted at, there is U2 album with the name "The Joshua Tree." If you don't know, The Joshua Tree National Park is a desert park, really. Here is a quote from the U2 Album's wiki page:

Band manager Paul McGuinness recounted that The Joshua Tree originated from the band's "great romance" with the United States, as the group had toured the country for up to five months per year in the first half of the 1980s.[1] Leading up to the album sessions, lead vocalist Bono had been reading the works of American writers such as Norman Mailer, Flannery O'Connor, and Raymond Carver so as to understand, in the words of Hot Press editor Niall Stokes, "those on the fringes of the promised land, cut off from the American dream".[3] Following a 1985 humanitarian visit to Ethiopia with his wife Ali, Bono said, "Spending time in Africa and seeing people in the pits of poverty, I still saw a very strong spirit in the people, a richness of spirit I didn't see when I came home... I saw the spoiled child of the Western world. I started thinking, 'They may have a physical desert, but we've got other kinds of deserts.' And that's what attracted me to the desert as a symbol of some sort."[4]

The studio album contains the following songs:

I think I was able to fit them all in the riddle.

Okay, @tionis, you are up, unless you wish for somebody else to go instead.

Last edited:
Likes tionis and Jonathan Scott
Very easy:

Of coup d'etat fame
Reminds you my name
In the state of a little canine
Is where I came to rest.

Is "the state of a little canine" in Mexico?
The first part doesn't help me; there are too many different coups d'etat.

Likes tionis
Jonathan Scott said:
Is "the state of a little canine" in Mexico?
The first part doesn't help me; there are too many different coups d'etat.
Yes, it is.

tionis said:
Yes, it is.
What sort of place are we supposed to be looking for?

There doesn't seem to be enough in the clue to help pin it down any further, but I guess a famous resident of that state would be Pancho Villa, from the Mexican Revolution. Is he relevant?

Jonathan Scott said:
What sort of place are we supposed to be looking for?

A town.

Jonathan Scott said:
There doesn't seem to be enough in the clue to help pin it down any further, but I guess a famous resident of that state would be Pancho Villa, from the Mexican Revolution. Is he relevant?

Which state are you referring to?

tionis said:
Which state are you referring to?
Chihuahua

Likes tionis and Pepper Mint
Jonathan Scott said:
Chihuahua

Pancho Villa is not relevant. The state is correct, now look for a town.

tionis said:
Pancho Villa is not relevant. The state is correct, now look for a town.
Sorry, I'm stuck; I can't find enough information in the clue to progress any further. More clues?

Is it where your life begins ?

Jonathan Scott said:
Sorry, I'm stuck; I can't find enough information in the clue to progress any further. More clues?

Though I wandered high and mighty
And I'm older than the earth
In this humble little town
my remains were brought to rest

Pepper Mint said:
Is it where your life begins ?

Actually, it is where my life ended. See above.

Likes Jonathan Scott
tionis said:
Though I wandered high and mighty
And I'm older than the earth
In this humble little town
my remains were brought to rest
OK, that made it easy, thanks, especially in conjunction with the first clue. Busy right now so I'll let others have a go, but might answer later.

Likes tionis
Jonathan Scott said:
OK, that made it easy, thanks, especially in conjunction with the first clue. Busy right now so I'll let others have a go, but might answer later.
Take your time. The obvious choice may not be correct anyways. :wink:

I think I've spotted where it all ended ...

Likes tionis
Jonathan Scott said:
Do tell.

tionis said:
Do tell.
Didn't I just do that?

Likes hsdrop
Jonathan Scott said:
Didn't I just do that?
Where?

tionis said:
Where?
Jonathan Scott said:
Or is that wrong?

Likes tionis