Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
Jonathan Scott said:
"windy city"
Windy city is correct, the rest is wrong.

Science news on Phys.org
tionis said:
Windy city is correct, the rest is wrong.
Sorry, but in that case I'm not likely to make any more progress without more clues to check things against. I first looked for something associated with the Chicago Freedom Movement but couldn't find any specific place or object to match the clue. The Golden Lady "Statue of the Republic" seemed to be associated with a pole and "liberty" but that wasn't a clear match anyway.

Likes tionis
Jonathan Scott said:
Sorry, but in that case I'm not likely to make any more progress without more clues to check things against. I first looked for something associated with the Chicago Freedom Movement but couldn't find any specific place or object to match the clue. The Golden Lady "Statue of the Republic" seemed to be associated with a pole and "liberty" but that wasn't a clear match anyway.
No way, is it possible, that Jonathan is stumped?! :oldeek:
Perhaps he should go searching, for some abstract poles. :oldwink:

tionis said:
Perhaps he should go searching, for some abstract poles. :oldwink:
Well, that at least eliminate various concrete poles which I was considering, not to mention wooden and metal ones. :smile: But I don't think I've ever seen an abstract pole in my travels (although admittedly I've never been to the North or South pole, magnetic or otherwise).

The stuff about "poke you with my pole" sounded like a picador in bull-fighting, so I had also wondered if there was any connection with the Chicago Bulls (basketball) but I couldn't find anything.

Likes tionis
Jonathan Scott said:
Well, that at least eliminate various concrete poles which I was considering, not to mention wooden and metal ones. :smile: But I don't think I've ever seen an abstract pole in my travels (although admittedly I've never been to the North or South pole, magnetic or otherwise).

The stuff about "poke you with my pole" sounded like a picador in bull-fighting, so I had also wondered if there was any connection with the Chicago Bulls (basketball) but I couldn't find anything.
Last clue!

Let the record show, that our UK riddle hero
This day was defeated by a Moscow zero. :biggrin:

Ignoring the minor personal attack, I already tried searching for stuff relating to complex analysis (relating to winding numbers, poles and zeroes) but I couldn't see how it would relate to some location around the world.

Likes tionis
Jonathan Scott said:
Ignoring the minor personal attack, I already tried searching for stuff relating to complex analysis (relating to winding numbers, poles and zeroes) but I couldn't see how it would relate to some location around the world.
No offense was intended, your forgiveness I implore :frown:
The gentleman in question invented his own pole.:wink:

tionis said:
Windy city is correct, ...
Can I check again that this definitely means that "windy city" was a reference to Chicago?

Likes tionis
Jonathan Scott said:
Can I check again that this definitely means that "windy city" was a reference to Chicago?
Windy city is correct, but it's not Chicago. It's not even in America. Follow the abstract pole.:wink:

I thought that when you said "Windy city" was correct after my statement, you were confirming that it was a reference to Chicago (known as "Windy City") as I suggested.

Am I at least correct in assuming that the "poles" and "zero" relate in some way to complex analysis?

And is "Windy" related to "Winding" or is that simply somewhere there is a lot of wind?

Likes tionis
Jonathan Scott said:
I thought that when you said "Windy city" was correct after my statement, you were confirming that it was a reference to Chicago (known as "Windy City") as I suggested.
You thought wrong.
Jonathan Scott said:
Am I at least correct in assuming that the "poles" and "zero" relate in some way to complex analysis?
Think quantum.
Jonathan Scott said:
simply somewhere there is a lot of wind?
Yes!

tionis said:
Think quantum.
OK, in that context "Moscow zero" suggests "Landau pole" but Lev Landau was a person, not a location!

Likes tionis
Jonathan Scott said:
OK, in that context "Moscow zero" suggests "Landau pole" but Lev Landau was a person, not a location!
And where was he born?

tionis said:
And where was he born?
OK, "City of Winds", that is Baku, Azerbaijan. You were only looking for a city? I had expected a more specific location.

I'm probably trying to do too many things at once. I might well have got it after the "Moscow zero" clue if I had taken more time; there was however no way I could have got it from the original clue.

Likes tionis
Jonathan Scott said:
OK, "City of Winds", that is Baku, Azerbaijan. You were only looking for a city? I had expected a more specific location.
Correct! :partytime:

Jonathan Scott said:
I'm probably trying to do too many things at once. I might well have got it after the "Moscow zero" clue if I had taken more time; there was however no way I could have got it from the original clue.

The first clue was based on this :

Wiki said:
Landau poles appear in theories that are not asymptotically free

Hence,
tionis said:
If you have no freedom, I'll poke you with my pole.

o0)

Over to you! :woot:

I had searched on "poles" in conjunction with "degrees of freedom" but hadn't spotted anything relevant. I can see how the first clue matches the answer, but I couldn't find ways to limit the search possibilities as there were so many other possible interpretations. I was amused by the way the "Moscow zero" clue was phrased anyway; certainly no offence taken.

I have been trying to think up a good puzzle but I think I'll need more time so anyone else is still welcome to have a go.

Likes tionis
Jonathan Scott said:
I had searched on "poles" in conjunction with "degrees of freedom" but hadn't spotted anything relevant. I can see how the first clue matches the answer, but I couldn't find ways to limit the search possibilities as there were so many other possible interpretations. I was amused by the way the "Moscow zero" clue was phrased anyway; certainly no offence taken.

I have been trying to think up a good puzzle but I think I'll need more time so anyone else is still welcome to have a go.

Don't mind if I do lol. This one is so easy, I'm embarrassed to even post it:With my eye of glass I embarrassed a genius
That thought he was so clever, I dare say even devious
By turning many tricks in the frosty night
The error of a letter I soon brought to light
Ah, lady of the night, you are quite the looker
And the gentry comment that you are the best hooker! :redface:

Likes 1oldman2, collinsmark, Jonathan Scott and 1 other person
Is this a reference to the Hooker telescope on Mount Wilson, California, which Edwin Hubble used to prove that the universe was expanding, contrary to what Einstein had expected?

Likes 1oldman2, collinsmark and tionis
Jonathan Scott said:
Is this a reference to the Hooker telescope on Mount Wilson, California, which Edwin Hubble used to prove that the universe was expanding, contrary to what Einstein had expected?
Told you it was too easy lol :partytime: you are correct!

Bravo! :partytime:Good show, let the record reflect, I have returned for more abuse. :smile:

Likes tionis and collinsmark
tionis said:
Told you it was too easy lol :partytime: you are correct!
I thought that was a really excellent puzzle poem, very entertaining and just the right sort of clues - not trivial to Google, but sufficiently specific to enable research and for me to be fairly sure when I'd got it. It took me quite a few minutes of work to solve, as although I was aware of Edwin Hubble's work at the Mount Wilson Observatory, I didn't know the telescope was called the Hooker Telescope, so I was first looking for stuff associated with Robert Hooke (microscope or telescope) and similar.

As before, I still need time to think of a new one, so feel free to have another go if you like.

Likes tionis
Jonathan Scott said:
I thought that was a really excellent puzzle poem, very entertaining and just the right sort of clues - not trivial to Google, but sufficiently specific to enable research and for me to be fairly sure when I'd got it. It took me quite a few minutes of work to solve, as although I was aware of Edwin Hubble's work at the Mount Wilson Observatory, I didn't know the telescope was called the Hooker Telescope, so I was first looking for stuff associated with Robert Hooke (microscope or telescope) and similar.

As before, I still need time to think of a new one, so feel free to have another go if you like.
Thank you for your kind words, Scott :blushing: I'm running dry at the moment. Gotta write an essay do today :nb)

1oldman2 said:
Bravo! :partytime:Good show, let the record reflect, I have returned for more abuse. :smile:
Welcome back, 1O2!

Likes 1oldman2
Super easy:

I'm both tall and a pole
My blanket is fog
With many saints around
Where many geeks abound

Likes 1oldman2
First, a thought fresh 42 put in my head yesterday,
NP problems may be thought of as being like riddles: it may be hard to come up with the answer to a riddle, but once one hears the answer, the answer seems obvious. In this comparison (analogy), the basic question is: are riddles really as hard as we think they are, or are we missing something?
o_O Okay then, that being said, this sounds like a San Fran bay area landmark. would that be correct?

Likes tionis
1oldman2 said:
First, a thought fresh 42 put in my head yesterday,
NP problems may be thought of as being like riddles: it may be hard to come up with the answer to a riddle, but once one hears the answer, the answer seems obvious. In this comparison (analogy), the basic question is: are riddles really as hard as we think they are, or are we missing something?
o_O Okay then, that being said, this sounds like a San Fran bay area landmark. would that be correct?
Incorrect!

How about the Spire of Dublin (Monument of light) o_O
pole.PNG

1oldman2 said:
How about the Spire of Dublin (Monument of light) o_O

No! Here's a clue:

Isn't it ironic, some say it's even funny
My residents have money despite my poverty

Darn it i must be thick as two planks, i can not make head nor tail of this one.

Likes tionis
wolram said:
Darn it i must be thick as two planks, i can not make head nor tail of this one.
Funny you should mention
for planks cause me apprehension
Could it be that my wooden nature
fears ending up as someone's table? :nb)

Likes wolram
wolram said:
Me too, I'm wondering what JS thinks ?

Likes tionis
One of my orchestras had a concert yesterday so I've been rather busy for the last couple of days. (Concert went well although last movement of Beethoven 7 somehow ended up a bit faster than planned and we were all exhausted by the end, but the audience seemed to love it).

So far I don't have any ideas; again there seem to be too many possibilities for me to narrow it down. However, my brain isn't working very well today.

Likes tionis and 1oldman2
The bit about geeks and saints also definitely makes me think of Silicon Valley, around San Jose, Santa Clara and various other saintly locations around the San Francisco bay area, so that would probably have been my guess for an area to start if it hadn't already been ruled out.

Likes tionis
Jonathan Scott said:
The bit about geeks and saints also definitely makes me think of Silicon Valley, around San Jose, Santa Clara and various other saintly locations around the San Francisco bay area, so that would probably have been my guess for an area to start if it hadn't already been ruled out.
Very warm lol.

Tionis was surprised
that no one's realized
my home is in a valley
right up Mr. Scott's alley

tionis said:
Very warm lol.

Tionis was surprised
that no one's realized
my home is in a valley
right up Mr. Scott's alley

Well, Palo Alto would seem to fit the clues, but it is definitely in the San Francisco Bay area, to which you replied "Incorrect" earlier.

Likes tionis