Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
  • #1,156
Jonathan Scott said:
All Saints Lunatic Asylum, Apple Valley, California? (It's not the only All Saints Asylum, but seems the most likely one).
nope not the right place (lol not even the right continent) sorry try again

Likes tionis
Science news on Phys.org
  • #1,157
guys really does anyone know why a raven like a writing desk?and here i go thinking that this one was going to be ease :partytime:

Likes tionis
  • #1,158
In that case, I'll try another answer which I previously skipped as being too "local" to my area:
The All Saints Lewis Carroll Centre in Daresbury: http://lewiscarrollcentre.org.uk/

Likes hsdrop
  • #1,159
yep you got it now hehe

Likes tionis
  • #1,160
hsdrop said:
yep you got it now hehe
The riddle is of course from the Mad Hatter's Tea Party in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. It wasn't meant to have an answer, but a later suggested answer was "One is nevar backwards and one is forwords".

It usually takes me a long time to think a new puzzle then write it up, and between work and orchestra stuff (concert in 2 weeks time) I don't have a lot of free time right now so someone else is welcome to have a go.

Likes tionis and hsdrop
  • #1,161
Jonathan Scott said:
(concert in 2 weeks time) .

Have you ever played the Game of Thrones theme song?

Easy riddle:

An island without a sea?
This marvel of Li I must see!

• #1,162
tionis said:
Have you ever played the Game of Thrones theme song?
That's just wallpaper music. Not to say I don't like some wallpaper, but that's a subject for another thread.

Likes hsdrop and tionis
  • #1,163
ok I have a fun quick one a one liner if you would but you got to think a little to get it lol

when we are thinking of the earth, where is the only place without cardinal directions??

hehe :oldlaugh::wink::cool:

Likes tionis
  • #1,164
hsdrop said:
ok I have a fun quick one a one liner if you would but you got to think a little to get it lol

when we are thinking of the earth, where is the only place without cardinal directions??

hehe :oldlaugh::wink::cool:
Well, there's one obvious place (at sea) where there's no North, West or East, only South, and similarly one (on land) where there's no West, East or South, only North. I can't think of one where there are no directions at all.

However, @tionis still has a puzzle going, which so far doesn't say anything to me, but I haven't yet had time to look into it properly:
tionis said:
An island without a sea?

Likes tionis
  • #1,165
hsdrop said:

The Vatican? :-p

• #1,166
tionis said:
The Vatican? :-p
you know as true as that might be no that is not the answer
be side john is right we have to find an answer for your first just to be fair

Likes tionis
  • #1,167
Jonathan Scott said:
We were hoping @1oldman2 would come up with one soon. For the next few days, I have a lot of orchestra stuff to do after work, so I'm not sure when I'll next have time to think of a new one myself.
Sorry about being AFK for so long I'll likely be off and on intermittently for the next week or so while I continue my education of "adventures in Neurology", dealing with a recent problem my wife is having. But "I shall return" as the saying goes, carry on and I'll jump in when I can. :smile:

Likes tionis
  • #1,168
tionis said:
Easy riddle:

An island without a sea?
Would this be relevant ? http://www.seacliff-ny.gov/ o_O

Likes tionis
  • #1,169
Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,170
tionis said:
Absolutely not.
Is it too soon to expand on the clues ?

Likes tionis and hsdrop
  • #1,171
i know I am stumped

Likes tionis
  • #1,172
1oldman2 said:
Is it too soon to expand on the clues ?
No other clues for now
But Mendeleev would be proud.

• #1,173
tionis said:
An island without a sea?
OK, I seem to have caught up with orchestra stuff this evening, so I've had time for a quick think...

How about Isla Incauhuasi which is an "island" in the middle of the world's largest salt flat Salar de Uyuni from which much of the world's lithium is obtained.

Likes 1oldman2 and tionis
  • #1,174
Jonathan Scott said:
OK, I seem to have caught up with orchestra stuff this evening, so I've had time for a quick think...

How about Isla Incauhuasi which is an "island" in the middle of the world's largest salt flat Salar de Uyuni from which much of the world's lithium is obtained.
Correct! :partytime: :bow:

• #1,175
tionis said:
Correct! :partytime: :bow:
Nicely educational, thanks. I didn't know of that place, but looked for an "island" in salt flats or similar, and when I found it was surrounded by deposits rich in lithium that made sense of the rest of the clue.

Now I guess we resume the "cardinal directions" puzzle which @hsdrop posed. As far as I know, the "minimal" point for cardinal directions on land would be the South Pole, as all directions from there are North, but I can't think of anywhere which is completely without cardinal directions.

Likes tionis and 1oldman2
  • #1,176
ok guys I have given some thought to this one since I posted it and I really do think the clue is misleading so i'll just have to give this one to you guys the place I was thinking of was the center or core of the globe

hsdrop said:

the key worlds in this one is "when we think of the earth" not "were on the earth" sorry guys all come up with a better one next time

Likes tionis
  • #1,177
It is Jonathan's turn, but I know he doesn't mind, so here is another easy one:

Oh statue of Liberty
bearing the stars that shine on thee!

• #1,178
new york?

Likes tionis
  • #1,179
hsdrop said:
new york?
You would think, but you'd be WRONG!

• #1,180
tionis said:
It is Jonathan's turn, but I know he doesn't mind, so here is another easy one:

Oh statue of Liberty
bearing the stars that shine on thee!
Are we off-world again, with a nebula in the constellation Cariana?

Likes tionis
  • #1,181
Jonathan Scott said:
Are we off-world again, with a nebula in the constellation Cariana?
Green is her color
Of copper she is made
And her location is surely on earth!

• #1,185
Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,186
It was tricky coming up with a relevant search where the results weren't swamped by the usual Statue of Liberty! (And I'm busy this week so I didn't want to have to sift through a huge pile of search results).

Likes 1oldman2 and tionis
  • #1,187
Okay since no one has posted a new one I'll cut in with this.
Your searching for a redeemer, though not on sugarloaf, it is on a big mountain that's usually white.
Smokey the bear said Jesus has to go, the court battle decided otherwise.
Post an image or G.E. coordinates.

Likes tionis
  • #1,188
1oldman2 said:
Okay since no one has posted a new one I'll cut in with this.
Your searching for a redeemer, though not on sugarloaf, it is on a big mountain that's usually white.
Smokey the bear said Jesus has to go, the court battle decided otherwise.
Post an image or G.E. coordinates.
Atheists-Jesus-Statue-Ski-Resort.jpg

Whitefish Mountain Resort - Wikipedia

Likes OCR and 1oldman2
  • #1,190
OK. Here is another one. Very easy:

Sun that is being fiercely spent on a tree
kisses the metal that is made of thee