Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
  • #1,226
ok, hmm...

on the eventide banner his brother is not...

no, not pest control. in a way diametrically opposite to eradication.

the alas no refers to hsdrops post.

Science news on Phys.org
  • #1,227
"Thus in each flower and simple bell,
That in our path untrodden lie,
Are sweet remembrancers who tell
How fast the winged moments fly."

• #1,229
This is interesting. While I think I'm being painfully obvious, the various suggestions, so far, dance around the answer and for some reason don't focus in.

Each clue is very straightforward and only have a veil of mystery. Sometimes I feel that the only added thing I can do is to spell it out and at the same time a number of the clues do just that.

Ok, how about this. A character in a Shaw play could have been here.

• #1,230
"Thy wings have cast their night across
The dial of our Saturnian year"

• #1,231
I've been watching this thread with amusement, but keeping out because I don't have the time to think of another one myself. All the clues seem to be confirming what I guessed from the start, which is that this puzzle refers to the most obvious and well-known feature of Piccadilly Circus (which is however most commonly incorrectly referenced by the name of his brother).

Likes hsdrop
  • #1,232
yes. spot on.

I've been following with a somewhat wry amusement thinking someone must know and not posting for something like reason mentioned. Do you want to spell it out and ...

• #1,233
@Jonathan Scott Completely tangential to this - You mean Eros versus Anteros? How did the name become truncated? Eros was a playmate/brother of Anteros? I think. It's been 50+ years since I even thought about this stuff. All I remember from an art class is that Anteros' wings look very like a butterfly's wings with feathers (to me). Since I'm a Biologist, that stuck in memory.

Thanks for the tweak! A few more neurons are buzzing once again.

• #1,234
Robert B. Pippin equated modernity with unrequited love. Anteros avenges victims of unrequited love.

Myrmecophily > "Ant Love" > Anteros

"Thus in each flower and simple bell, That in our path untrodden lie, Are sweet remembrancers who tell How fast the winged moments fly." - poem by Charlotte Turner Smith

GB Shaw - Pygmalion - about a flowerseller.

Flower sellers used to gather at the base of Anteros in PC

It features as a silhouette on the banner of The London Evening Standard (standard <> Banner)

"Thy wings have cast their night across The dial of our Saturnian year"- from the poem Anteros by Clark Ashton Smith

• #1,235
hey guys we all still playing?

• #1,236
I don't have time to come up with another one myself. I think @jim mcnamara was the one who first mentioned "Anteros" in the last answer, so could be entitled to a go if he wants one, otherwise I guess anyone else can have a go.

Likes hsdrop
  • #1,237
ok then I think I may have a cute fast one lol

Hickory, dickory, dock.
The kids flue up the clock.
The clock struck 8:15,
The kids ran off,
Hickory, dickory, dock.

have fun

• #1,238
No guesses yet? wow is anyone watching the thread any more??

• #1,239
hsdrop said:
ok then I think I may have a cute fast one lol

Hickory, dickory, dock.
The kids flue up the clock.
The clock struck 8:15,
The kids ran off,
Hickory, dickory, dock.

have fun
hsdrop said:
No guesses yet? wow is anyone watching the thread any more??

Hmm. I'm guessing the spelling of "flue" as opposed to "flew" is a clue somehow. Hmm. Kids? Maybe young goats?

Could it be Poznań Town Hall in Poland? (Map link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Poznań+Town+Hall/@52.4079698,16.9333895,1355a,20y,299.96h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47045b475374faa3:0x65f5d6fb2b0a510b!8m2!3d52.4085868!4d16.9340341)

It has a clock with goats on it. I'm not quite sure where the 8:15 fits in though. These goats butt heads at noon, so that clue doesn't seem to fit. :confused:

Kozio%C5%82ki_na_ratuszu.jpg

• #1,240
collinsmark said:
Hmm. I'm guessing the spelling of "flue" as opposed to "flew" is a clue somehow. Hmm. Kids? Maybe young goats?
Ok this one is my bad for miss spelling the world flew (google does not get everything right all the time for spelling lol) as in the past tense of fly and the kids are not goats. They are children, 4 of them as a little extra clue for you. At least you're on the right continent.

Sorry for the miss spell again. I have a rather bad reading and spelling learning disability. If it was not for Google and the TTSReader web site. I would not be able to communicate on the forum at all. I have found that over the years I have gotten better with it from tipping to online friends and the wanting to learn from this forum. so thank you for your patients.:wink::cool:

Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,241
hsdrop said:
Ok this one is my bad for miss spelling the world flew (google does not get everything right all the time for spelling lol) as in the past tense of fly and the kids are not goats. They are children, 4 of them as a little extra clue for you.
That sounds like when Peter Pan and the children landed on the hands of the Big Ben clock face in the old movie. But I don't know a real place where you can see that.

• #1,242
Jonathan Scott said:
That sounds like when Peter Pan and the children landed on the hands of the Big Ben clock face in the old movie. But I don't know a real place where you can see that.
lol you got it right Big Ben in the disney animated movie about peter pan and the time 8:15 was the time on the face of the clock:partytime::partytime::partytime:

• #1,243
hsdrop said:
lol you got it right Big Ben in the disney animated movie about peter pan and the time 8:15 was the time on the face of the clock:partytime::partytime::partytime:
Oh, I didn't expect that to be the answer. I thought we were looking for a real place.

Sorry, but I'm unlikely to have time to come up with a new one for weeks, because of an urgent work project; it's not that it takes all of my time, just all of the time when my brain is working properly.

Likes hsdrop
  • #1,244
Jonathan Scott said:
Oh, I didn't expect that to be the answer. I thought we were looking for a real place.

Sorry, but I'm unlikely to have time to come up with a new one for weeks, because of an urgent work project; it's not that it takes all of my time, just all of the time when my brain is working properly.
lol its ok it was just a fun little one if i come up with another ill post it lol

• #1,245
Time for some one to give another riddle:biggrin:

Likes hsdrop and 1oldman2
  • #1,246
I'll try to work on something and post it :wink:

• #1,247
ok I believe I have one lol

it's the tallest wall of water
can only be seen from the top down
is not named after an ethereal sprite

Likes wolram
  • #1,248
hsdrop said:
ok I believe I have one lol

it's the tallest wall of water
can only be seen from the top down
is not named after an ethereal sprite

Another tricky one:biggrin:

Likes hsdrop
  • #1,249
So what guys no guesses lol o_O

• #1,250
hsdrop said:
So what guys no guesses lol o_O

I am trying but I am as thick as mud:eek:

• #1,251
hmmm ok and you're right if you at this place you would be stuck in the mud there too lol or at least very wet

• #1,253
Algr said:
Is that the dam that changed the flow of time for the world by some %??

and no not the place I'm thinking of
try starting at sea lvl

• #1,254
I am stuck can you give another clue please.

• #1,257
hsdrop said:
the wall of water that I'm thinking of flows from the top down

So no antigravity. That narrows it down.

Likes hsdrop
  • #1,258
Algr said:
So no antigravity. That narrows it down.
lol no antigravity but it is 3 times higher that an angel can fall

• #1,260
OCR said:
How about... ?
The great ocean conveyor.
that a lot closer but still not it you're on the right path throw

Likes OCR