Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
  • #1,296
wolram said:
All Saints' Church, Freshwater?
Just one saint, the gender would be female. :ok:
(Have I mentioned how much I recently learned about Deep Sea Corals.) (DSC) :cool:

Science news on Phys.org
  • #1,297
1oldman2 said:
Just one saint, the gender would be female. :ok:
Does the name start with M? And the location with S? If so, this is a lot more straightforward than people seem to be making it.

Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,298
Jonathan Scott said:
Does the name start with M? And the location with S? If so, this is a lot more straightforward than people seem to be making it.
I'm not at all surprised to see you got it. :cool:

• #1,299
1oldman2 said:
I'm not at all surprised to see you got it. :cool:
ohhh he always gets them lol makes the rest of us look like we are all clueless :wideeyed::oldconfused::doh:

Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,300
Well..what is it?

• #1,301
Another clue to contemplate. :smile:
''“Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.” ''
Alfred Lord Tennyson

• #1,302
Okay then... how about, your searching for a particular Church in a particular village that has (several particular ties with A. Tennyson's family. :check:)

Likes hsdrop
  • #1,303
In the yard are a few folks who have experience "crossing the bar".
a church - Copy.PNG

Likes hsdrop
  • #1,304
Umm... Okay! I got it! How about the audio daily double, Alex?

Likes hsdrop
  • #1,305
So that pretty much leaves St. Margaret's Church, Somersby, England.

Somersby-St-Margaret-cc-Stephen-Horncastle.jpg

Somersby-Tennyson-memorial-cc-J-Hannan-Briggs.jpg

(Map link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...0xc928f1f5aa37067!8m2!3d53.2339481!4d0.011673)

Now for the clues,

Find a "house of worship" that connects a saint with "Nature red in tooth and claw"
Check. It's a house of worship in the small village/town that A. Tennyson grew up. (His father was a rector at the church). "Nature red in tooth and claw" is from a poem Tennyson wrote, "In Memoriam A.H.H."
It's about the Author, not the subject. The location is in the UK.
In the UK. check.
“Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.”
I'm unsure how that clue fits in. :confused: It's a quote attributed to Tennyson, but beyond that I'm not sure.
Okay then... how about, your searching for a particular Church in a particular village that has (several particular ties with A. Tennyson's family.
Check.
In the yard are a few folks who have experience "crossing the bar".
Check. "Crossing the bar" is a euphemism attributed to Tennyson meaning to die or "pass away." The image of St. Margaret's in the post had grave markers in it.
Umm... Okay! I got it! How about the audio daily double, Alex?
Well, Tennyson's birthday is 1908. There's the plaque in the church that gives Tennyson's birthyear. Beyond that I'm not sure. Is there more to the date?

Likes hsdrop and 1oldman2
  • #1,306
collinsmark said:
Well, Tennyson's birthday is 1908. There's the plaque in the church that gives Tennyson's birthyear. Beyond that I'm not sure. Is there more to the date?
St. Margarets would be the correct answer, :smile: Tennyson's year of birth was actually 1809 but we all get a little dyslexic once in a while, :wink:
I'm looking forward to your upcoming riddle. :world:

Likes hsdrop and collinsmark
  • #1,307
I think this one's gonna' be kinda' easy:

Known now most by wireless
Bluetooth is first bone and flesh
"Lead, my son," said Gorm, then old
Fame and glory did unfold
Words in stone did son embrace
Name son's final resting place*

*(The supposed resting place is acceptable. Actual proof is not required.)

• #1,308
collinsmark said:
Name son's final resting place*
First guess, Roskilde Cathedral, Jutland, Denmark. (I love history and this one was new to me.) :smile:

Likes hsdrop and collinsmark
  • #1,309
1oldman2 said:
First guess, Roskilde Cathedral, Jutland, Denmark. (I love history and this one was new to me.) :smile:
Correct! :smile:

1280px-Roskilde_Cathedral_aerial.jpg

(Map link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...234cc29c7f82bc1!8m2!3d55.6426377!4d12.0804491)

If there was any trick to the riddle, it was recognizing that Bluetooth wireless technology was named after a particular person: Harald "Bluetooth" Gormsson, a tenth century Viking king.

Explanation of poem:

Known now most by wireless
Bluetooth is first bone and flesh
Harald Bluetooth was a person long before the wireless technology.
"Lead, my son," said Gorm, then old
'Sounds like something a father might say to his son. Harald Bluetooth's father was Gorm the Old.
Fame and glory did unfold
Harold Bluetooth went on to become king of Denmark, and even king of Norway for a little while.
Words in stone did son embrace
Harold is responsible for some of the restoration and some of the creation of runestones, notably the Jelling stones.
Name son's final resting place
It is thought that his remains were buried at the location of Roskilde Cathedral.

Very nice, @1oldman2. You are up. :smile:

• #1,310
Find a house with no corners at the end of a line,
think narrow gauge and you'll do just fine.
Three digits could be considered a clue,
those would be four, seven and nine plus two.

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,311
1oldman2 said:
By "house", do you actually mean "museum"?

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,312
Jonathan Scott said:
By "house", do you actually mean "museum"?
The museum is awesome but the house and turntable are the subject. :thumbup: ( I figured you would be on to this rather quickly)

• #1,313
1oldman2 said:

Durango_and_Silverton_Narrow_Gauge_Railroad.jpg

I'll guess the "roundhouse" part of Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (D&SNG) Museum. Its mailing address is

479 Main Avenue, Durango, CO 81301

(Map link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...6607fcf56d0b5!8m2!3d37.2681361!4d-107.8825128)

"Four, seven and nine" are all digits in its mailing address.

I'll guess the "plus two" is a hint that there are actually two museums involved: one at each end of the line, one in Durango and another in Silverton.

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,314
Well you solved that one, interestingly enough I hadn't noticed "Four, seven and nine" are all digits in its mailing address." that sequence comes out to one of the trains numbers on the line, this plus the "Narrow Gauge" was the clue. Good job. :smile:
5136367.jpg

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,315
My intent is to make this one slightly more advanced than some of my previous ones (which were arguably, especially easy). But only slightly. Together with a bit of googling, all you need is within the poem. All you need is there (some googling may be necessary), although the answer might not jump out quite as quickly as some of my previous ones.

Okay, here is the puzzle/poem:

Born as Greek muse, giver of delight
From an island of man she departed forthright

New moniker shines as an Indian sun
Her iron outside gives her twelve hundred ton

Fashion of Bristol, ship-shape in her bay
She's senior to all still active today

Her rig is now bark, neither dog nor tree
What is her name and oh, where is she?​

Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,316
https://sdmaritime.org/visit/the-ships/star-of-india/
Star of India

The world’s oldest active sailing ship. She began her life on the stocks at Ramsey Shipyard in the Isle of Man in 1863. Iron ships were experiments of sorts then, with most vessels still being built of wood. Within five months of laying her keel, the ship was launched into her element. She bore the name Euterpe, after the Greek muse of music and poetry.

Maritime museum, San Diego. :wink:
StarOfIndia.jpg

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,317
1oldman2 said:
https://sdmaritime.org/visit/the-ships/star-of-india/
Star of India

The world’s oldest active sailing ship. She began her life on the stocks at Ramsey Shipyard in the Isle of Man in 1863. Iron ships were experiments of sorts then, with most vessels still being built of wood. Within five months of laying her keel, the ship was launched into her element. She bore the name Euterpe, after the Greek muse of music and poetry.

Maritime museum, San Diego. :wink:
View attachment 113909
Yes, that is altogether correct. :woot:

If you ever get to San Diego, I highly recommend visiting the Star of India (part of the maritime museum). It's really close to the airport. As a matter of fact you could walk there from the airport if you really like walking. (You might not want to drag your luggage along but you can figure these things out). And it's a really fun thing to do. The Star of India is a few minutes drive from the airport (there are lots of taxi cabs around the airport, of course). You can learn history while gallivanting around a historic ship.

I'm Impressed @1oldman2 that you got it so quick. Good job. :woot:

To be thorough, here is an explanation of the hints:

Born as Greek muse, giver of delight
Her original name was Euterpe, Greek deity/muse of music; she was called "Giver of delight."
From an island of man she departed forthright
Built in the Isle of Man.
New moniker shines as an Indian sun
Her name was changed from "Euterpe" to "Star of India."
Her iron outside gives her twelve hundred ton
The Star of India is not only famous for being the oldest active ship, but also the oldest ironed-hulled merchant ship still floating. Her gross tonnage is approximately 1200 tons.
Fashion of Bristol, shipshape in her bay
She's senior to all still active today
The saying "Shipshape and Bristol fashion" means that a boat/ship is seaworthy and fully prepared to face the perils of the sea. The Star of India is not the oldest ship in existence, but she is the oldest ship that is still active, ready to sail around the bay or out to the ocean every once in awhile.
Her rig is now bark, neither dog nor tree
bark.gif

"The bark is a three-masted vessel with the foremast and mainmast square rigged and the mizzenmast fore-and-aft rigged. The mizzenmast carries no yards: there is a hoist-and-lower fore-and-aft sail and a gaff topsail."

http://www.pem.org/sites/archives/guides/rigs.htm

(She was once full rigged, but that was quite awhile ago.)
What is her name and oh, where is she?
Star of India.

Map Link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...8ebd9a417c061b!8m2!3d32.7202989!4d-117.173579

Good job @1oldman2! :smile:

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,318
All righty then... sorry about the delay responding. This time I thought we could do things a little differently. The riddle will involve mileage between several points and the answer will be the total miles (with a margin for error of 200 miles total due to variables in the exact points measured but I figured the total from roughly the center of each point.)

So, here goes. From Inverness to Malta, Malta to Kremlin, Kremlin to Glasgow. (Remember you are using the geographic center of each point) I need the total miles in the order stated with a margin of error of up to 200 miles, the first clue will be (2), have fun. :smile:

• #1,319
@1oldman2, I have a question: do you wish for the answer in terms of
(a) roads, trains, ferries and boats;
(b) as the crow flies; or
(c) tunneling through the earth?​

Each will give a somewhat different answer.

I'm guessing you don't want (a) because there are so many possible routes that it would be tough to meet the 200 mile margin of error.

"As the crow flies" seems more reasonable. The problem isn't really simple though since Mercator map projections will not give you accurate distances. In other words, if you are using a Mercator map, you can't rely on its "scale" for such large distances, since the scale will vary depending on which part of the map you are on. And, in Mercator maps, the shortest distance (on the surface) between two points does not follow a straight line -- it follows a great circle. One could overcome this by breaking each great circle segment into many smaller segments, each with its own scale, and adding the results. Or one could use geometry, by first modeling the cities to coordinates on a sphere and then calculating arc lengths. Either way is doable, but not a no-brainer.

[Edit: One might be able to measure (b) somewhat easily if one has access to globe. One could use the globe together with a ribbon (or edge of a piece of paper) to take the measurements.]

Finally, one could interpret the distances as the true shortest path in three dimensions between the cities (c) -- not limited to the tangent space of a sphere. In other words, you can tunnel underground/underwater. I'm guessing you don't want this option.

(Options b and c could be even more accurate by using oblate spheroid geometry instead of spherical geometry. But that would be getting just crazy mathy.)

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,320
1oldman2 said:
All righty then... sorry about the delay responding. This time I thought we could do things a little differently. The riddle will involve mileage between several points and the answer will be the total miles (with a margin for error of 200 miles total due to variables in the exact points measured but I figured the total from roughly the center of each point.)

So, here goes. From Inverness to Malta, Malta to Kremlin, Kremlin to Glasgow. (Remember you are using the geographic center of each point) I need the total miles in the order stated with a margin of error of up to 200 miles, the first clue will be (2), have fun. :smile:
So where's the "around the world" puzzle element in this? One can go into Google Maps, switch to Google Earth, right-click and select "Measure Distance" then click on each of the other points. I just did that and it says it's about 5074 miles.

Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,321
collinsmark said:
(b) as the crow flies;
Sorry about the lack of detail but (b) would be correct. :smile:

• #1,322
Jonathan Scott said:
So where's the "around the world" puzzle element in this?
It's just a break from the routine puzzle format we have been following, kind of a "out of the ol' box" thinking exercise. Post #1321 is useful, and the answer is far less than 5000 miles although your method is correct. o_O

• #1,323
Ah, like Manhattan. Got it.

Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,324
inverness florida, malta ny, kremlin montana, glasgow kentucky?

Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,325
john101 said:
I make that 25% right. I assume there's more consistency than that.

Likes hsdrop
  • #1,326
john101 said:
Assume post #1325 is 100% correct. :wink:

Likes hsdrop
  • #1,327
Again, "2" is a "common denominator" or clue.

• #1,328
Okay... in the interest of this thread not languishing any longer, the "2" refers to a US highway.

• #1,329
Google makes it about 394 miles as the crow flies or about 419 miles going to and fro along the highway, so about 400 either way.

• #1,330
Jonathan Scott said:
Google makes it about 394 miles as the crow flies or about 419 miles going to and fro along the highway, so about 400 either way.
That figure is well within the "Margin of error" I mentioned. Your turn. :smile:

Likes Jonathan Scott