Palin pick an insult to our intelligence

• News
  • Thread starter physucsc11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intelligence
In summary: I guess you could say that I was surprised that the information released about her turned out to be such a non-issue to the American people. In summary, the VP pick of Sarah Palin has been largely successful in attracting women voters to the McCain campaign. However, the media's initial response was mostly in support of Mrs. Palin, and there was little questioning of her ability or experience.
Here is the wrap up of the Palin abuse of power report.

http://www.adn.com/troopergate/story/552799.html

Actually to a certain extent everyone gets a little bit of what they want.

It's an interesting read, though in the final analysis, as understandable as her personal concerns may have been, she clearly crossed the line by breeching her ethical duties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a funny:
Bill Maher said:
Naturally the smart thing to do to solve your economic woes is to demonize the Democrats. And of course, Sarah Palin is more than happy to oblige. She's been saying that Obama hangs out with terrorists. And you know, I think the evangelical lady who's in a video getting blessed by a witch doctor, who's married to a secessionist, and can't name a newspaper -- she's right, Obama is scary.

The question she keeps asking at all of the rallies is, 'Who is Barack Obama?' You know what, genius, maybe if you'd picked up a newspaper in the last year you'd know. He's the guy who's kicking your ***.

Extracted from the video:

Gokul43201 said:
Here's a funny:

Extracted from the video:

Thanks for the link. I also like the line about being disappointed Palin was not going to prison, because it would have been the first time she would have been involved with a complete sentence.

In about an hour, Todd Palin will make an appearance at a BBQ about 20 miles from here. The event is being held at a "trading post" that caters to hunters and snowmobile riders, so they ought to get some turnout. Still, it's probably a wasted effort that should have been directed toward a state in which the polling is somewhat close. All I can think of this is that his appearance is meant to bolster the down-ticket GOP candidates, some of whom are in trouble with their constituents. Susan Collins (R) is being challenged for her Senate seat by Tom Allen (D), and for the first time in recent memory even moderate Republicans are in trouble. Collins chairs the Senate committee that is responsible for overseeing wasteful war-related spending, and for years never even convened a hearing while Halliburton, KBR, Blackwater, etc were lapping up no-bid contracts. Time for her to go.

LowlyPion said:
Thanks for the link. I also like the line about being disappointed Palin was not going to prison, because it would have been the first time she would have been involved with a complete sentence.
You should watch that entire episode of Real Time - it was brilliant to watch Dana Gould repeatedly whop the a$$ of the WSJ cheerleader.

Other videos in the series are found (in the correct order) here: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=TULLYCAST2

Start at "Now can we legalize...", and end at "New Rules for Oct 10..."

Here's another Dana Gould zinger (approximately):
The irony here is that Palin is a pin-up girl for a bunch of people who do not believe in masturbating.

LowlyPion said:
... I also like the line about being disappointed Palin was not going to prison, because it would have been the first time she would have been involved with a complete sentence.

:smile:

it has occurred to me that mc cain and his handlers have concluded their only chance to win is to turn out all the racists, bigots, and nut cases to vote against obama/osama.

this means he is willing to risk a resurgence of racism and intolerance in the us, even to encourage it, just to win an election. this is more than sad, this is scary. it reminds me of the struggle of the sixties against legalized racism.

please do not take anything for granted in this election. sadly, the people who have infiltrated the republican party are willing to do anything, no matter how low, to win power and the ability to distribute wealth.

i am waiting for the real republicans to disown them, (colin powell, the doles, ...?) but they have not spoken up yet.

mathwonk said:
it has occurred to me that mc cain and his handlers have concluded their only chance to win is to turn out all the racists, bigots, and nut cases to vote against obama/osama.

this means he is willing to risk a resurgence of racism and intolerance in the us, even to encourage it, just to win an election. this is more than sad, this is scary. it reminds me of the struggle of the sixties against legalized racism.

please do not take anything for granted in this election. sadly, the people who have infiltrated the republican party are willing to do anything, no matter how low, to win power and the ability to distribute wealth.

i am waiting for the real republicans to disown them, (colin powell, the doles, ...?) but they have not spoken up yet.

Colin Powell said that he wouldn't declare his support until after the last debate. Hopefully he will have quite a bit to say.

Yes, I agree that we can take nothing for granted.

Ivan Seeking said:
Yes, I agree that we can take nothing for granted.
That's the point that I have been trying to make. Don't think that because Obama has a lead in the polls that you don't need to make the effort to get out and vote for him. Don't think that your vote isn't needed.

Evo said:
That's the point that I have been trying to make. Don't think that because Obama has a lead in the polls that you don't need to make the effort to get out and vote for him. Don't think that your vote isn't needed.

As importantly, if he is to affect change then it will be Democrats at all levels that need the vote. Incumbent Republicans have a natural fundraising advantage and name advantage from being in office and without the votes in Congress there may be gridlock again, which just isn't needed.

i agree. after donating more to this election than ever before, we get appeals almost every day to give more, and i cannot afford all these. but in addition to the obama contributions, i have also given to al franken, and the senate and congressional campaigns, to help give a majority in the legislative branch hopefully to the next democratic president.when i say this, i am aware that i would have almost been content to have a republican president if the republicans had not become the agents of intolerance that they have. i.e. i didn't really want just a democratic president, but i cannot resist preferring an honest intelligent president, who speaks openly to the public, and who eschews racism and hatred.

mathwonk said:
i agree. after donating more to this election than ever before, we get appeals almost every day to give more, and i cannot afford all these. but in addition to the obama contributions, i have also given to al franken, and the senate and congressional campaigns, to help give a majority in the legislative branch hopefully to the next democratic president.

when i say this, i am aware that i would have almost been content to have a republican president if the republicans had not become the agents of intolerance that they have. i.e. i didn't really want just a democratic president, but i cannot resist preferring an honest intelligent president, who speaks openly to the public, and who eschews racism and hatred.

It will surely mark a coming of age for the Nation with the election of Obama. For all that has been said against him I have heard little in any thoughtful circles about his race offering any kind of historic opportunity to vote for him.

If he is elected then I feel like it will be mostly for the right reasons. He will have prevailed because of the force of his personality and leadership and positions and not because of his race, though maybe in spite of it. That which has divided the Nation since its founding then may finally come together, with the belief that everyone can be empowered and indeed it is possible for anyone to succeed, even if not white Anglo-Saxon and male.

This is disgusting. Palin is disgusting.

Even in tough budget times, there are lines that cannot be crossed. So I was startled by this tidbit reported recently by The Associated Press: When Sarah Palin was mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, the small town began billing sexual-assault victims for the cost of rape kits and forensic exams.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/26/opinion/26fri4.html?em

edward said:
This is disgusting. Palin is disgusting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/26/o... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCx7A2lwCWE

Apparently she doesn't read, and neither do her aides.
ADN said:
Palin says report vindicates her
INVESTIGATION: Governor offers no apologies for her role in "Tasergate."

By LISA DEMER
Published: October 12th, 2008 01:45 AM
Last Modified: October 12th, 2008 04:41 AM

In a brief telephone conversation Saturday with Alaska reporters, Gov. Sarah Palin said she did nothing wrong in the Troopergate affair involving her ex-brother-in-law and feels vindicated by a legislative investigation, the results of which are detailed in a hefty report.

"Well, I'm very, very pleased to be cleared of any legal wrongdoing ... any hint of any kind of unethical activity there," the governor said from her car on the way to a campaign stop in Philadelphia.

The investigation was ordered by the Legislature in July to examine the circumstances under which Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan was terminated. The results of that probe, released Friday, concluded she abused her power in pressing for the firing of an Alaska state trooper once married to her sister but was within her authority in firing Monegan.

Palin's characterization of the report is wrong, Sen. Kim Elton said later Saturday when told of the governor's comments. The Juneau Democrat chairs the Legislative Council, which authorized the investigation and released the report.

"Finding No. 1 says she violated the ethics law," Elton said. "Anybody who suggests that the report does not say she broke the law, they just need to read the report. They don't even need to read all 300 pages of it, just page seven or eight."

Aides said Saturday that Palin had not read the report but had been "extensively briefed" on it.
http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/story/553680.html

What a way to run things. Completely ignore the facts. Make them up to suit you as you go along? How frightening to think that she could ever conceivably be President.

LowlyPion said:
Apparently she doesn't read, and neither do her aides.

http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/story/553680.html

What a way to run things. Completely ignore the facts. Make them up to suit you as you go along? How frightening to think that she could ever conceivably be President.

Who's going to check the facts though? nobody. & tomorrow everyone will have forgotten about it.

There may be more, though. The McCain campaign tried to derail the bipartisan legislative investigation by having Palin file ethics charges against herself with the state's 3-person personnel board - staffed entirely with Palin appointees. Unfortunately for her, they hired an aggressive (reputedly) prosecutor to handle the investigation, and he happens to be a Democrat who donated to Palin's opponent in the campaign for governor. If he finds ethical violations, as well, there will be little the McCain campaign can do except resort to lies and nay-saying and cries of "partisanship".

fourier jr said:
Who's going to check the facts though? nobody. & tomorrow everyone will have forgotten about it.

Actually ABC just did a piece checking the facts about the Alaska Report and Palin's response to it and basically said that Palin was lying that they found no ethical violations. That while she was within her rights to fire Monegan, she and Todd had violated Executive Branch Ethics Act in seeking to exert the power of her office in a matter of personal interest to her - being vindictive to her ex-brother in law.

Another potential issue cropped up on MSNBC.

The Palins built their house while she was Mayor of Wasilla. Conveniently as Mayor she suspended the necessity of getting building permits requiring instead only a certificate of completion.

The story about the house originally arose when Todd Palin claimed on Fox News he built their house with a couple of his contractor buddies. Interesting thing is though that the Wasilla Sports Complex was also funded and built at the same time. The building supplier that supplied the building of the sports complex also supplied the Palins and also sponsored Todd's snowmobile in his Iron Dog competitions.

How convenient that she suspended the need to file building permits at the time she was building her house.

Sen. Ted Stevens is at trial for his house renovations that allegedly didn't get properly reported.

LowlyPion said:
Another potential issue cropped up on MSNBC.

The Palins built their house while she was Mayor of Wasilla. Conveniently as Mayor she suspended the necessity of getting building permits requiring instead only a certificate of completion.

The story about the house originally arose when Todd Palin claimed on Fox News he built their house with a couple of his contractor buddies. Interesting thing is though that the Wasilla Sports Complex was also funded and built at the same time. The building supplier that supplied the building of the sports complex also supplied the Palins and also sponsored Todd's snowmobile in his Iron Dog competitions.

How convenient that she suspended the need to file building permits at the time she was building her house.

Sen. Ted Stevens is at trial for his house renovations that allegedly didn't get properly reported.
There were also questions about land investments with friends she appointed to government positions. I think it's time we dig those back up, they seemed to have been swept under the rug.

Evo said:
There were also questions about land investments with friends she appointed to government positions. I think it's time we dig those back up, they seemed to have been swept under the rug.

The thing that stuns me is the continued denial of what anyone can read for themselves, namely that she violated Ethics Laws in Alaska.

This was the very worst aspect of Nixon. The denial in the face of hard facts. What kind of Trust could anyone have in her as President? This kind of absolutely self centered narcissism looks to me to be sociopathic.

When coupled with her simple-minded fundamentalist views of the world it is just too disturbing to contemplate investing her with any kind of Power, especially the Presidency.

At about 2 minutes in is where Todd discloses he and a couple of contractor buddy friends of his built their house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5MWk0V77ko

Sarah Palin and the mining interests. Some kind of environmentalist.
(I suppose that Mother Earth will have to pay for her own rape kit too?)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/27/AR2008092702834.html?nav=hcmodule

Meanwhile who needs salmon? Those 12,000 people making their living off the fishing are only earning $100M a year, but the state can get $200M in revenues while they are waiting for the toxic dam to break destroying Bristol Bay. (Maybe she will have named her daughter for a bay that will be destroyed by toxic mining waste?)

No wonder the pro-business Republicans like her. No wonder they like deregulation. It's puzzling to think that she is somehow portraying herself as a maverick, when she seemingly personifies the politics of special interest.

LowlyPion said:
Palin Palling around with Secessionists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eniG9l_7its

Here we go. Rich Sanchez on CNN is running this story today.

The McCain camp was offered the chance to have a spokesman respond to the story, but so far they have declined.

Last edited:
Palin has checkered history on ethics issues

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, whose reformer image took a hit in a report concluding she abused her powers to settle a family score, has skirted state ethics rules before for personal benefit and used her office to help friends and supporters, according to an Associated Press review of records.

Palin's first try at statewide office, after six years as mayor of Wasilla, was an unsuccessful run for lieutenant governor in 2002. To raise money, she improperly used her City Hall office and equipment, city records show. A year later she would make headlines by blasting a fellow Republican for, among other things, improperly using his government position to boost his campaign.

Then, in 2006, Palin won the governor's race with a vow to reform state ethics. But in less than two years, she has repeatedly taken actions that violated her own stated standards for ethical behavior — if not state law. In the process, the Republican vice presidential nominee has become much like the old-school politicians she attacked during her rise to power.

Some examples:

_She pummeled opponents for giving oil companies and other businesses too much control of state government. Yet she appointed the founder of an engineering firm that received $6.8 million in state business as head of the transportation department.

_She has accepted dozens of gifts worth tens of thousands of dollars since taking office, including two free trips last year that she failed to report on disclosure forms, despite criticizing state legislators for the gifts they take.

_She is under another investigation, accused of misusing her office to campaign against a voter referendum calling for tighter mining regulations. Her husband, Todd, has accepted free trips from a mining company to look at their proposed new site.

_Another ethics complaint, unresolved, accuses her staff of finding a state job for a friend and campaign contributor.

Last week, an investigation by the Alaska legislature found that Palin, running mate to Republican presidential candidate John McCain, abused her powers when she and her husband improperly pressured the state public safety commissioner to fire her sister's ex-husband, a state trooper. The brother-in-law was never fired, but Palin fired the commissioner in July.

"It's all about the power, and it frightens me," said state Rep. Beth Kerttula, a Juneau Democrat who like many in the minority party have supported Palin on some issues, including energy policy. "She doesn't seem to know where the boundaries are."

Persily, who said he left Palin's administration because he didn't enjoy working in Washington, said Palin is skillful in "attacking the 'good ol' boys.' The good ol' boys that Palin is talking about are those that can't help her politically."

Democratic state Rep. Mike Doogan said Palin, even as she bends or breaks the rules herself, acts as if she invented ethics in Alaska.

"It's insulting to those of us who have always done the right thing," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081014/ap_on_el_pr/palin_state_ethics;_ylt=AmEMKjxIam_43fce1sHeVN1h24cA

AlaskaDailyNews said:
Board's Troopergate probe casts wider net
Investigator hasn't said who else may be under scrutiny.

By TOM KIZZIA
tkizzia@adn.com

Published: October 13th, 2008 11:50 PM
Last Modified: October 13th, 2008 01:30 AM

The state Personnel Board investigation of Gov. Sarah Palin's firing of Walt Monegan has broadened to include other ethics complaints against the governor and examination of actions by other state employees, according to the independent counsel handling the case.
http://www.adn.com/troopergate/story/555288.html

This would be the personnel board that she reported herself to in order to sidetrack the Legislative Council - which didn't work. Apparently now once started it has a life of its own. And this Board is empowered to bring criminal charges if violations are found.

"Palin - Hair Aware" says Wasilla beautician.

As Mrs. Palin became a public figure, Mrs. Steele said, she gave more thought to her image.

“She’s very involved in her look and how she’s perceived,” Mrs. Steele said. “We would talk a lot about how if she looked too pretty or too sexy, people wouldn’t listen to her. How important it was for people to see her as an intelligent, smart woman. It was comical when her hair was down, how big a difference that would make, especially when she was running for governor.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/f...ssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

There's another word for this - narcissism.

McCain taking heat from Bush strategist, Matthew Dowd, for his Palin pick.

"[McCain] knows, in his gut, that he put somebody unqualified on the ballot. He knows that in his gut, and when this race is over that is something he will have to live with... He put somebody unqualified on that ballot and he put the country at risk, he knows that."
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/10/conservatives-k.html

Sorry, had to delete the Huffington Post links. They don't give equal space to both sides.

I don't know if these were already posted.

THE FIVE WEEKS OF SARAH PALIN

Watching her at what many said was her best, I was embarrassed. As a candidate for national office, Sarah Palin is an embarrassment to the nation. She is an embarrassment to the Republican Party and to the man who chose her, Sen. John McCain

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucrr/20081003/cm_ucrr/thefiveweeksofsarahpalin;_ylt=AkjZAslTaJYZr514HTvXwGA__8QF

Evo said:
Sorry, had to delete the Huffington Post links. They don't give equal space to both sides.
Unfortunately, the mainstream media will not give coverage to many of the stories that Huffington covers, even if they are entirely accurate and fair. Equal time is an ideal that is badly misapplied by the mainstream media. Instead of doing investigative reporting and taking on tough issues, they invite talking heads for both sides of each issue to flail away at each other, regardless of the validity of their arguments. I liken this to the demands that creationism be given equal time in schools with evolution science. It cheapens political discourse and it dumbs down the electorate, who are left with nothing more than claims, counter-claims, and nay-saying. It might be a better idea to allow links from all kinds of sources (left, center, and right) and let PF'ers make up their own minds.

If you disallow any Huffington Post stories, will you also agree to delete all links to FOX news stories? They have nothing good to say about any progressive/liberal policies or candidates and are nothing more than a mouthpiece for the neocons and the GOP. They certainly do not report on anything that might denigrate the GOP ticket. "Fair and balanced" they ain't. The news-reader for the local FOX TV affiliate has even taken to wearing her hair like Palin's.

turbo-1 said:
If you disallow any Huffington Post stories, will you also agree to delete all links to FOX news stories?
That would be fair.

Evo said:
That would be fair.
Thank you, Evo.

to me it makes no sense to delete one sided links since there are one sided links for both sides, and both can be linked here. why not let us read them and decide for ourselves how biased it is?

mathwonk said:
to me it makes no sense to delete one sided links since there are one sided links for both sides, and both can be linked here. why not let us read them and decide for ourselves how biased it is?
Because some of the rags out there that have been posted in the past are blatant lies, hate mongering, conspiracy theories and violate just about every posting guideline we have. I have to draw the line somewhere.