Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
Physics news on Phys.org
Giant, cross-border smuggling tunnel found under Arizona house
http://news.yahoo.com/giant--cross-border-smuggling-tunnel-found-under-arizona-house-221138449.html
Tunnels have long served as a popular means of transporting drugs between Mexico and the United States, especially as recent increases in U.S. agents and fencing along the Southwest border have forced cartels to come up with alternative points of entry. The first cross-border smuggling tunnel was discovered by the Border Patrol in 1990. Since then, a total of 168 tunnels have been identified and, since 2006, 80 have been found and dismantled.

Likes Silicon Waffle
nuuskur said:
HAHAHA @ <snip>

On a more random note:

What is the English word for [itex]\partial D [/itex] - I don't mean the partial differential, it means something else too. The general word for supremum and infimum - extremum? Indicating the boundaries of the domain, whether it is open or closed.

If D is a region of the Complex plane, then ## \partial D ## is the boundary of D. This is the way I have seen it used.

Interesting book I picked up: " Crucial Conversations" on how to have conversations about touchy subjects-- when emotions run high and there are large gaps in the respective points of view -- in a productive way.

Last edited:
Interesting book I picked up: " Crucial Conversations" on how to have conversations about touchy subjects-- when emotions run high and there are large gaps in the respective points of view -- in a productive way.
Albert Einstein said:
I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein#1950s

Last edited:

I wonder if Einstein ever developed throat or other type of cancer. Even if he did, he lived until 76, which is a good number even by today's standard. Sorry OCR, I don't know if you are trying to make a point in quoting both. EDIT: Ah, maybe I see the connection. We can set up pipe bars, but then we need to worry about cancer.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
WWGD said:
Ah, maybe I see the connection. We can set up pipe bars, but then we need to worry about cancer.
LoL... carry on.

My landlord has decided not to send " actual" paper rent invoices anymore. Now s/he just sends them by e-mail. as an attachment.
But I don't have a printer at home nor at work. I may have to finish my book on crucial conversations quikly and practice, because I feel like telling him/her : what the $%^ & is wrong with you that you can't just send me an invoice like 99.997% of the landlords do?

Likes Silicon Waffle
Don't you have a right to demand invoice on paper?

WWGD said:
My landlord has decided not to send " actual" paper rent invoices anymore. Now s/he just sends them by e-mail. as an attachment.
But I don't have a printer at home nor at work. I may have to finish my book on crucial conversations quikly and practice, because I feel like telling him/her : what the $%^ & is wrong with you that you can't just send me an invoice like 99.997% of the landlords do?
Email him your check. :smile:

Likes collinsmark and nuuskur
Borg said:
Email him your check. :smile:
I would pay to see his/her reaction to this smartassery :D

She updated her invoice delivery system. :oldruck:

After almost a whole year, I finally managed to get a job. With all that learning to write amazing cover letters and CV's, what really got me the job was something along the lines of "You are young and you are willing to do something other people consider tiring and boring, oh and you are okay with working overseas too."

Funny how things work

Likes Silicon Waffle
Congratulations!

Multivariable calculus :mad::mad:

just a thought, if YOUR supposed to be the smartest why do you want to give me brain damage homie :eek: then you just got to just got to rub it in on how your stealing my knowledge.

:nb)so your obviously lacking confidence and the jealousy is apparent, ok I get it now I'm COOLER then you :-p

mods: don't delete this as a crazy post! just dealing with a few haters imow :cool:

Multivariable Calculus, still :mad:o_O?:):wideeyed:

What hands are here? Ha! They pluck out mine eyes. Will all great Neptune’s ocean wash these stains clean from my hand? No, this my hand will rather the multitudinous seas incarnadine, Making the green one red.How do you remove iodine stains anyway?
o:)

Silicon Waffle said:
Congratulations!

Thanks, but receiving no invoice is not really that much of an accomplishment ;) (wonder why some consider me to be self-centered.)

Just kidding, good going, Wukunlin.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
Must be Rd3. Rb5 isn't possible after all.

8 hours later...
Multivariable Calculus :smile: [itex]\neq[/itex] ?:)[itex]\vee[/itex]:mad:

zoki85 said:
Must be Rd3. Rb5 isn't possible after all.
Try Qd8++

Last edited:
nuuskur said:
8 hours later...
Multivariable Calculus :smile: [itex]\neq[/itex] ?:)[itex]\vee[/itex]:mad:
Try calculus of variations...

touché

Computer disk drives have definitely become smaller...
Moaminne2.jpg

(Image: 5MB drive, brand: Bryant, sourcepage: here. No, it's here. Just kidding, it really is here)

the chosen ones! :kiss: I want the uss wasp! god I can't wait for the new world order fast enough :mad:

Attachments

• Monday_02_March_2015 15_53_16snap.png
    Monday_02_March_2015 15_53_16snap.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 355
  • Monday_02_March_2015 16_01_22snap.png
    Monday_02_March_2015 16_01_22snap.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 358
I went to the post office to get some stamps and became exited when I saw they now have BATMAN stamps!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/blog_post_349_width/2014/09/batman_usps_stamps.jpg

What's especially cool is that when you buy a page, 4 of them are 4 different versions of the bat light symbol, and these stamps are round! In my whole life I have never seen a round stamp.

Likes Enigman
Am I too weird? The are two Starbucki (plural?) near my place. I realized I preferred one because it has square tables, which I prefer, since these have a more "clearly-defined" edge/boundary (i.e., it is defined by a straight line ) and not circular tables, where the edge/boundary " keeps moving". Besides, you can put two square tables together, to get a rectangle ( not quite a square, but in the same family) . With circles, two tables can only be made tangent to each other at one point, and cannot form anything close to a circle when put together.

DennisN said:
Computer disk drives have definitely become smaller...
Moaminne2.jpg

(Image: 5MB drive, brand: Bryant, sourcepage: here. No, it's here. Just kidding, it really is here)
Dennis, you know I'm never going to tell a lie and hurt you...that made me laugh!

Likes DennisN
I have jury duty this week.

To non-US PFers, jury duty might seem to be a cultural oddity. When someone is accused of a crime here, the accused can choose to have his/her case decided by 12 citizens chosen at random (a jury), rather than a judge. So, I've been chosen. I can't discus the case now but perhaps in a few days I will, when it's over.

But this morning as I was driving to the court house, a huge bald eagle flew right over my car, only ~3 meters above me! So much 'Merica!

Likes Enigman
I thought everyone was doing a small dance in my honor today. Then I realized it was raining outside and people were just wiping their shoes in the
rug at the entrance, where I was sitting.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
Daddy longlegs

Ok, I understand longlegs part. But daddy??

Likes Silicon Waffle
:nb) :angel:

I bought two more sheets of Batman stamps today.

Likes collinsmark
In other news, the US Post Office has reported a sudden shortage of Batman stamps.