Riddle game - Something for you scientists

In summary, the conversation is about a riddle game that the participants are trying to solve. They are discussing clues they have found on different levels and sharing tips and advice on how to progress in the game. Some participants express frustration with their lack of knowledge in certain areas, but others offer help and encouragement. The participants also discuss the difficulty of the riddles and how some of them require knowledge of HTML or other technical skills.
  • #2,241
umm...im just kinda sitting here...im outta ideas

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,242
*stands at attention*

Had a couple ideas - tired givving numbers to the AHRMMTYD (1 8 18 13 13 20 25 4) and then pairing them up with the compass and taking letters the correct space away and the correct direction. Didn't get much, but some of it sounded cool.

• #2,243
FranklinDR said:
*stands at attention*

Had a couple ideas - tired givving numbers to the AHRMMTYD (1 8 18 13 13 20 25 4) and then pairing them up with the compass and taking letters the correct space away and the correct direction. Didn't get much, but some of it sounded cool.

ive tried that yesterday but threw it in the trash. :wink:

• #2,244
*sighs and tilts her halo out of her eyes*

It's just frustrating... I know we have all the pieces..

*flies down and picks up the mini grid and a Capital Letter from the cut up pieces Zarii's been playing with*

But bridging them together to make sense...

*sits crosslegged on the floor and sulks*

I've tried using the third-letter rule from the mini grid to the big grid... I just don't know where the Capital Letters come into play...

((Break again *sniffles*))

• #2,245
MelodyKitn said:
*sighs and tilts her halo out of her eyes*

It's just frustrating... I know we have all the pieces..

*flies down and picks up the mini grid and a Capital Letter from the cut up pieces Zarii's been playing with*

But bridging them together to make sense...

*sits crosslegged on the floor and sulks*

I've tried using the third-letter rule from the mini grid to the big grid... I just don't know where the Capital Letters come into play...

((Break again *sniffles*))

Melody, I "think" I figured out how it needs to be done...just give me some play time.

• #2,246
Omega_6 said:
Melody, I "think" I figured out how it needs to be done...just give me some play time.

*REJOICES!*

• #2,247
GO OMEGA...you can do it...i know u can

• #2,248
FranklinDR said:
*REJOICES!*

When I say I "think", I mean about 10 percent chance...:smile:

• #2,249
i have a new fresh idea but it will take a while before i finish it. it requires some serious work. ill let you all know if its successful.

• #2,250
If this isn't the way to go then it certainly is just a pain in the butt.

• #2,251
Err, yeah, apologies about earlier. I had to leave my office with no time to do anything else beforehand and had already started typing a post. It has been removed.

I are stupid.

• #2,252
Omega_6 said:
If this isn't the way to go then it certainly is just a pain in the butt.

ok, so it didnt work out well. i only got RUEEIM and didnt continue cos i wasnt getting the result that i was hoping for. :cry:

what about your idea, what happened?

• #2,253
SpeedyKupad said:
ok, so it didnt work out well. i only got RUEEIM and didnt continue cos i wasnt getting the result that i was hoping for. :cry:

what about your idea, what happened?

Mine is not working out well, even though I RECRUITED people to help me go over it.

My idea was this: Start at x, of course.

Now we have A H R M M T Y D in the source. So we start at x, and connect x (only the A gets connected to the x, the rest get connected to the letter before it) to the different letters (in order, the problem with this is that there are still many possible routes to go) and record the letter of the direction we went to get there. Nothing I have so far really makes any sense. Another problem is the two m's...they don't connect well. A is also the only vowel you can use this way.

What was your idea?

Last edited:
  • #2,254
Omega_6 said:
Mine is not working out well, even though I RECRUITED people to help me go over it.

My idea was this: Start at x, of course.

Now we have A H R M M T Y D in the source. So we start at x, and connect x to the different letters (in order, the problem with this is that there are still many possible routes to go) and record the letter of the direction we went to get there. Nothing I have so far really makes any sense. Another problem is the two m's...they don't connect well. A is also the only vowel you can use this way.

that was almost the same with the first thing i did when solving this riddle. but yeah, it was no good.

im revising my idea, can't explain it well but will let you know if it will turns out well.

• #2,255
Only idea I had was superimposing the mini-grid on top of the big grid and then pairing up the letters... AR DT GY JB MN PS SO VE...

So then I thought.. okay, Third Letter Rule from the mini-grid... which had the third letter gaps?...

P > Q > R > S <--*Third Letter Rule...

Okay.. I know where to go... but.. where does AHRMMTYD fit in?

So I tried following the numbers from A = 1 H = 8 and so on...

So now I'm looking for a pair only one apart...

MN...

Great!

But then... dead end.

*cry*

• #2,256
Man, I'm tired.:smile:

• #2,257
MelodyKitn said:
Only idea I had was superimposing the mini-grid on top of the big grid and then pairing up the letters... AR DT GY JB MN PS SO VE...

So then I thought.. okay, Third Letter Rule from the mini-grid... which had the third letter gaps?...

P > Q > R > S <--*Third Letter Rule...

Okay.. I know where to go... but.. where does AHRMMTYD fit in?

So I tried following the numbers from A = 1 H = 8 and so on...

So now I'm looking for a pair only one apart...

MN...

Great!

But then... dead end.

*cry*

that idea actually inspired a theory

• #2,258
I had thought to try using the smaller grid as a compass, and for each letter, counting its position in the row in spaces in that direction on the long grid, moving to the opposite side of the grid when appropriate.

Eg; first letter in the sequence moves 1 space from the x. second letter starts from the x again, and moves two spaces in the indicated direction, etc. Came up with "RUKDRTXA" but that didn't do it. Going to try a variation on this pattern before launching a few other ideas I have.Edit: Tried it again, this time doing it all in series rather than restarting from X each time. Result: "ruipaffu"

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,259
Given all of the jibberish that we come up with...maybe we should just assign everybody a letter and go through the dictionary...:cry: If it is a name...then...:cry:

Last edited:
  • #2,260
Omega_6 said:
Given all of the jibberish that we come up with...maybe we should just assign everybody a letter and go through the dictionary...:cry: If it is a name...then...:cry:

ok so how many ppl we have so we can give everyone equal shares?

• #2,261
iggy_killer said:
ok so how many ppl we have so we can give everyone equal shares?

I'll take x...you can have s.:biggrin:

• #2,262
THATS CRAP...i want z and q

• #2,263
I'll take Æ...

at any rate, I know when I'm too tired to continue, and that's now :-/ Good luck guys. I somehow think I'll be trying to help out with this one again tomorrow.

• #2,264
iggy i just sent you a pm. please respond! :confused:

• #2,265
responded :redface:

• #2,266
*lays down on the rafter, wings limp, halo tilted, tired, and despondent*

Well.. its been a long day.. I need another break...

*curls up and sighs*

Well.. I'll give it one thing... at least we don't need to google you-know-who...

• #2,267
yea...i swear i can tell u everything about the cthulhu becuz of all the research i did

• #2,268
Well, I'm no good being so tired. Good night. The weekend is coming up and I will be well rested.

• #2,269
this was my idea. given the third letter rule from the small grid, we get the value of * = Y. assuming that X = *, i changed the x on the mastergrid to Y. then i followed the 3rd letter rule beginning with Y and changed all of the letters from the grid. i tried two variations already:

1) original letter + 3: to decode the letters AHRMMTYD, I tried getting the letters starting from Y, but like i said wasn't good. :cry:

2) Y + 3 and so on: to decode, i used the small grid again, to make a window. by locking in the letters from the small to big grid, i get the letter that falls in the * position. but it was a disaster! :cry:

so, give me a @%$%$ letter so i can run down the dictionary! :cry: :cry: :cry:

are we looking for an 8 letter word with a double on the 4th & 5th place?

• #2,270
i believe so...ill work on that tomorrow...im done for 2nite

• #2,271
as boxcutter said, this really is a hard riddle and with the clues that we are given, there will be lots of ways to solve it. however, there is only one way. and if we find it, a comprehensible word will fall into place.

• #2,272
Level 61

I don't know if anyone can help me, but I'm having serious problems with level 61. Anyone able to help?

Spoiler

I've already found the second image, I've realized the compas thing has letters of third intervals and stuff

/Spoiler

• #2,273
Heh, 61 is where we are all stuck. ANd if you want to write a spoiler, <[color="#black"]Do it like this: color is "black"[/COLOR]> (highlight the text)

If you get anywhere on 61, let us know! Thanks.

• #2,274
Higgels said:
I don't know if anyone can help me, but I'm having serious problems with level 61. Anyone able to help?

SpoilerI've already found the second image, I've realized the compas thing has letters of third intervals and stuff
/Spoiler

believe me, we can't be much of a help. we're all stuck at this level and don't know what to do at this point. so, welcome to the club! :-p

we've been working on this for 2 days now.

• #2,275
Hmm... let's assume the "compass" gives us the rule of three and nothing else. We then start at X, knowing "every third letter" and having ahrmmytd as a hint... where to go from there?