Riddle game - Something for you scientists

In summary, the conversation is about a riddle game that the participants are trying to solve. They are discussing clues they have found on different levels and sharing tips and advice on how to progress in the game. Some participants express frustration with their lack of knowledge in certain areas, but others offer help and encouragement. The participants also discuss the difficulty of the riddles and how some of them require knowledge of HTML or other technical skills.
  • #2,276
I need sleep...

Good night everyone!

I'll start anew tomorrow.

*hugs everyone and flies back up to the rafters... hugging nosferatu plushie as she falls asleep*

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,277
FranklinDR said:
Hmm... let's assume the "compass" gives us the rule of three and nothing else. We then start at X, knowing "every third letter" and having ahrmmytd as a hint... where to go from there?

sorry to disappoint you but its also a dead end. that's why i came to the point wherein i had to create a formula to change all of the letters on the big grid. but still, it wasn't successful. :frown:

im beginning to get hopeless *sighs*

• #2,278
franklin: do you have any idea why the x is at point 7, 5?

• #2,279
Im guessing its just cause that's where you need to start in order to get the answer: the answer is probably a word hidden in the grid, and you need to start at X and jump around in a special way to get to it. I don't think you could get any clues from the exact position of X without knowing exactly what you are looking for, but hell, we have no other leads. Ill see what I can dig up about that.

• #2,280
that is what I've been thinking about since yesterday. if x is where we should start, isn't that an awkward position? i would understand it more if it were in the corner or middle...but there has to be a reason and once we find that out, we'll know where we're headed.

also, can it be that the 'x' (starting point) isn't the 'x' that we are seeing? that's why in the source it says "it seeMs soMeone is Trying to confuse You." maybe that's what's confusing us all. if that's the case then we should find out where to start.

all these are just questions i have in mind. unfortunately, they seem to have no answer and useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,281
ffutahw said:
I had thought to try using the smaller grid as a compass, and for each letter, counting its position in the row in spaces in that direction on the long grid, moving to the opposite side of the grid when appropriate.

Eg; first letter in the sequence moves 1 space from the x. second letter starts from the x again, and moves two spaces in the indicated direction, etc. Came up with "RUKDRTXA" but that didn't do it. Going to try a variation on this pattern before launching a few other ideas I have.

Edit: Tried it again, this time doing it all in series rather than restarting from X each time. Result: "ruipaffu"

i am not completely sure of exactly what you mean here, but it sounds like you are on to something.

• #2,282
*using ffutahw's concept*

can anyone form a word using the letters: KIBMCAGA o:)

• #2,283
Cagakimb.. means camel in some african language, so the answer is camel.. nice work!

heh no seriously, you won't have to be solving any anagrams for this one. the word will come straight out.

• #2,284
but at least now we know we'll just have to play on ffut's concept. just don't know how yet. :frown: :cry:

SHOUT OUT: hey, where's everybody?? ami i the only one left working on this riddle?? :cry:

• #2,285
Ok, IDEA:

AHRMMTYD

AH
RM
MT
YD

Each has a directional code and an alphabetical number... you get nothing, but what if you apply the rule of three?

DK
UP
PW
BG

What can be gotten?

• #2,286
FranklinDR said:
Hmm... let's assume the "compass" gives us the rule of three and nothing else. We then start at X, knowing "every third letter" and having ahrmmytd as a hint... where to go from there?

so your compass thing might be the key here. let me know if your revisions are working. :biggrin:

• #2,287
FranklinDR said:
Ok, IDEA:

AHRMMTYD

AH
RM
MT
YD

Each has a directional code and an alphabetical number... you get nothing, but what if you apply the rule of three?

DK
UP
PW
BG

What can be gotten?

try something else. cause there's only one vowel in there and the word (accdg to boxcutter) will obviously be there.

• #2,288
I meant trying it on the grid. I.E. DK would be "north 11 spaces". I got nothing, though.

• #2,289
FranklinDR said:
I meant trying it on the grid. I.E. DK would be "north 11 spaces". I got nothing, though.

oh... anyways, let's keep on trying. i have a question though. what's the relevance of the letters in the small grid?

• #2,290
I assume it just gives the rule of 3 and the directions for special letters, but seeing my luck with this riddle I'm probably WAY off.

• #2,291
FranklinDR said:
I assume it just gives the rule of 3 and the directions for special letters, but seeing my luck with this riddle I'm probably WAY off.

don't worry, keep on trying. I am trying to figure out a pattern. you do that too.

• #2,292
Brainspasm: P is the letter that according to the rule of 3 would become X. Should we try starting from a P?

• #2,293
FranklinDR said:
Brainspasm: P is the letter that according to the rule of 3 would become X. Should we try starting from a P?

accdg to the rule of 3, x/* = Y

RARHAARW! that's what i got from what i just did. :smile:

• #2,294
i have an idea. why don't we list down the all the possible letters in each direction then just word hunt. here's the problem: where will the first letter fall. is it on the N, NE, S...?

• #2,295
I saw that, and I thoguht "SNES" which sent me back to memories of Zelda

Doo doo, do dododododod! Do dodododo! Do dodo do do dodo!

That was the zelda theme song, btw...

Uh, wow, that sounds difficult. And long. I vote for the "divying out the dictionary and hoping it's only one word and not a name" method.

• #2,296
FranklinDR said:
I saw that, and I thoguht "SNES" which sent me back to memories of Zelda

Doo doo, do dododododod! Do dodododo! Do dodo do do dodo!

That was the zelda theme song, btw...

Uh, wow, that sounds difficult. And long. I vote for the "divying out the dictionary and hoping it's only one word and not a name" method.

:smile: :smile: :smile: i don't think it would be a name but who knows?

i can't quite focus and establish a good formula. this is tough.

• #2,297
Ok, how about this: Start at X, but rule of 3 it: your first letter is A. Where do you go from there? Maybe the ahrmmytd comes in handy?

• #2,298
FranklinDR said:
Ok, how about this: Start at X, but rule of 3 it: your first letter is A. Where do you go from there? Maybe the ahrmmytd comes in handy?

i see another dead end unless you come up with a formula using AHRMMTYD to make a pattern on the grid. but making x an a is possible.

im still clueless

• #2,299
First off, ahrmmtyd is henseforth a word pronounced "arm tee dee", of unknown deffinition. Second, the most promising method I have found of getting ahrmmtyd into the picture is pairing: four letters are on the compass, four arent, so pair em and use the compas one as the direction and the other one as the number of spaces. I haven't had any luck, though.

• #2,300
In light of the hint change

In the spirit of blatantly refusing to be smacked in the face with the hint, let's see if I can dodge it! What if we try some of the old methods, only we skip X if we double back on it?

Well, that sure sounds like its not in the spirit of the new hint, but if I can't think of anything soon I might try it...

Still, what methods are there that haven't doubled back on themselves yet?

• #2,301
FranklinDR said:
In the spirit of blatantly refusing to be smacked in the face with the hint, let's see if I can dodge it! What if we try some of the old methods, only we skip X if we double back on it?

Well, that sure sounds like its not in the spirit of the new hint, but if I can't think of anything soon I might try it...

Still, what methods are there that haven't doubled back on themselves yet?

well then go try it. this is one riddle that can be solved by trial & error. And oh, pure luck! :smile:

• #2,302
im tired. my back is aching. I am resting for a while. but give me an update on how's it going on your end. ill be back in about 30 mins.

• #2,303
Hmm, this feels a bit like twenty hours without sleep. Anyway, a lot of the methods run into X again - I am guessing we ditch those, although we could just "skip" x. But skipping it seems kinda against the grain of the new clue, so yeah. Let's find some non re-x'ing methods!

Not that anyone else is online to throw their ideas out. Ah, well... such is the life of a person who doesn't have much time left here.

• #2,304
where do you not have much time left?

• #2,305
I think I relayed it in the emails. :smile: Normally, I don't join forums, but I was a touch pressed for time. I was also under the impression that I was close to the end of the riddle, until a few hours ago.

• #2,306
im back
*cleans up the table* *prints another copy of papa grid & baby grid then looks on her gleaming new pad*

i get the feeling that this riddle isn't too complicated as we perceive it to be.

*finally decides to get organized and use a scientific approach*

problem: what's the mystery word?
hypothesis: AHRMMTYD
solution:
step#1. use the small grid as a directional guide.
step#2. identify the correct directional flow. (clockwise. start at NW end with W as in the pattern of the small grid)
step#3. identify the number of steps needed to fall from x to the mystery letter. (rule of 3s or 1-8-18-13-13-20-25-4?)
step#4. search. use x as point 0.
step#5. read.
findings: ?
conclusion: ?

*then finally decides to take another breather*

• #2,307
step #6 (franklin exclusive): sit back and watch as SpeedyKupad saves the day.

Ok, my findings: It's tough to get a comprehensible word that doesn't cross X again.
I tried pairing the ahrmmtyd with the compass - a to a, d to h, etc then going the ahrmmtyd number value in the direction indicated and got nothing. And I am in the habbit of modifying the answers I get by the rule of three and seeing if its any good, but no luck. So unless I did it wrong due to sleep deprivation, I think we can rule that method out.

Oh eff, looking back I realize that I'm not entirely sure that I've been doing diagonal moves that go off the board correctly. What the confusing. Time to go back and try the old methods again.

• #2,308
conclusions: we need further research and different conversion methods for AHRMMTYD :confused: . (2) we need more clues from the riddler :biggrin: (3) we are seriously stuck and cursed. :cry:

• #2,309
Boxcutter said:
your last two posts have contained lots of things that are good. of course some things that you say are not entirely correct, but stay in this area.

whose posts please? :biggrin:

• #2,310
Boxcutter said:
your last two posts have contained lots of things that are good. of course some things that you say are not entirely correct, but stay in this area.

frank: don't sleep yet. we're doing good. :biggrin: