What are you doing during quarantine?

• Thread starter hagopbul
  • Start date
In summary: We don't have lockdown yet, so it's just planning and preparation. The hills starting in the backyard (almost literally), so we definitely plan to sneak out for some hiking.In summary, Hagop is from Syria and is living in Lebanon. He is working from home, but is resisting going on a walk because he loves walking. He is worried about the Covid-19 effect, and is reading what he can.
Drinking a Corona beer!

• Haha
Likes DennisN, hagopbul and Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
I searched for "amateur rocky horror" on youtube and I discovered a whole genre of charming videos.
_ftPnFXKPC5EYo38e2JX5Lw8UPI&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg

• Haha
Likes DennisN, anorlunda, hagopbul and 2 others
nsaspook said:
BLR .308
Well. . . . 😒

For some reason. . . I thought you would go more for quality. . 🤨
1585361253614.png

Lol...

Likes Klystron and hagopbul
I have an ongoing fantasy while watching the clown car COVID review from the White House press room. The denouement of the briefing involves Trump clutching the scalpel in his gut and whispering hoarsely "et tu Fauci?"
The stuff of my daily seditious reverie.

• Haha
Likes hagopbul and BillTre
I'm finally getting to spend some time on my long-deferred project of proving the Riemann Hypotheses.

• Haha
Likes hagopbul, Keith_McClary and anorlunda
nsaspook said:
I actually waiting for the herds of deer on the streets.o0)
This morning I saw a report on TV about rats on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. With all the restaurants and bars closed, there’s no food waste in the usual locations out back, so the rats have taken to scurrying around the deserted street, fighting over whatever scraps they can find.

• Wow
Likes DennisN, hagopbul, Klystron and 1 other person
nsaspook said:
I actually waiting for the herds of deer on the streets.
Shooting is not allowed in my town, so the deer take refuge here during the hunting season.

Likes hagopbul and PeroK
Pumping my own gas.
https://www.kgw.com/article/traffic...ions/283-4a248aab-84cc-4c78-b0be-0c67f7fd679e
PORTLAND, Ore. — In response to COVID-19, gas stations will no longer be required to enforce regulations against self-service, according to a press release from Oregon State Fire Marshal Jim Walker.

Walker said the state would be implementing new rules immediately, such as allowing people to pump their own gas, to ensure the health and safety of gas retailers.

Last edited:
Likes strangerep and hagopbul
Keith_McClary said:
How to Make Bagpipes Out of a Garbage Bag and Recorders
Gosh, that was one of the funniest youtube videos I've seen in a long time! :oldlaugh:
Thanks for posting! I will share that one with my friends.

Likes hagopbul
kyphysics said:
Although, I am going to force myself soon to have days off where I do zero news watching and just relax with fun stuff.
When I got the cold I initially started to watch the news a lot. After a couple of days I clearly noticed that I was getting more anxious. Being bombarded by such gloomy news of lately takes its toll. That's why I started playing Cities Skylines instead, actually. :smile: And I'm listening to relaxing instrumental music too. I feel much less anxious now.

By the way, here's yet another graph :smile::

Time spent looking at exponential graphs.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Likes russ_watters, Borg, Rive and 6 others
watched zombieland double tap

wondering the number of SARS-Cov-2 numbers is 500000 is that the actual number or the tip of the ice berg ?

wondering should i watch other movie like v for vendetta or star wars , how to watch star trek ? i can't register in the channel

I watched Contagion and was absolutely blown away by how eerily parallel the plot was to what we're experiencing right now.

Likes Keith_McClary and hagopbul
I just read an article in The Guardian (written by the Italian novelist Francesca Melandri) which I thought would fit this thread perfectly. I think it was very well written and thoughtful, and the message probably fits many people in many countries around the world at the moment:

A letter to the UK from Italy: this is what we know about your future (The Guardian, March 27, 2020)

The acclaimed Italian novelist Francesca Melandri, who has been under lockdown in Rome for almost three weeks due to the Covid-19 outbreak, has written a letter to fellow Europeans “from your future”, laying out the range of emotions people are likely to go through over the coming weeks.

Francesca Melandri said:
You’ll laugh. You’ll laugh a lot. You’ll flaunt a gallows humour you never had before.
I can personally definitely identify with that.

Likes collinsmark, Keith_McClary and hagopbul
DennisN said:
I just read an article in The Guardian (written by the Italian novelist Francesca Melandri) which I thought would fit this thread perfectly. I think it was very well written and thoughtful, and the message probably fits many people in many countries around the world at the moment:

A letter to the UK from Italy: this is what we know about your future (The Guardian, March 27, 2020)

The acclaimed Italian novelist Francesca Melandri, who has been under lockdown in Rome for almost three weeks due to the Covid-19 outbreak, has written a letter to fellow Europeans “from your future”, laying out the range of emotions people are likely to go through over the coming weeks.I can personally definitely identify with that.

yes the word won't be the same but we can make it a better place

Likes Keith_McClary and DennisN
Does anyone have a gym membership? If so, have you:

a.) been going
b.) been able to cancel (without getting excuses for why you cannot)?

Likes hagopbul
kyphysics said:

a.) been going
I am a 'life long' member of a health club that stays open 24/7 with branches throughout the US. I am only charged a small yearly membership fee that allows me unlimited access to all clubs and gyms.

a) No. Our state governor has closed non-essential businesses for health quarantine. All gyms, health clubs and swimming pools are closed including mine. Closure also includes private pools and gyms at condominiums pursuant to county as well as state health directives.

b) Yes, but I choose to renew my yearly membership with payment due in April. These things pass.

The benefits from my small investment so outweighs the cost, I am willing to renew anticipating future access. The larger (super-sport) clubs where I live are very nice, indeed; equal to very expensive private clubs I have visited in the past. The large facilities where I swim and workout are scrupulously clean and well maintained with alcohol wipes and fresh towels available before this crisis.

Likes hagopbul
After a decade of needing to clean my house, but not having the time, I discover that is not the reason.

• Haha
Likes jtbell, hutchphd, Mondayman and 5 others
kyphysics said:

a.) been going
I belong to a gym that is shut down due to the virus. I haven't canceled my membership: the company (LA Fitness) suspended it (will not take payment) for the duration of the shutdown.

Likes hagopbul
Looks like he should stick to astrophysics... o0)

• Haha
Likes hagopbul, vela, Dr Transport and 2 others
Started going working through Mary L. Boas' book. That and going for a daily run!

Likes atyy and hagopbul
berkeman said:
he said. “Working remotely is not that bad. We are also renovating our house, so I am building shelves, making furniture and doing some tiling.”

Likes hagopbul
vela said:
... astrophysicist-gets-magnets-stuck-up-nose

berkeman said:

He, of all people, should have known the perils of letting things get trapped in black holes.

• Haha
Likes Irishdoug, atyy, hagopbul and 4 others
vela said:
... astrophysicist-gets-magnets-stuck-up-nose
He had been wanting a telescope for a long time, but all he got was an endoscope.

Likes hagopbul
thinking about the open source project , how to make some thing in this time to add for that project , came up with wifi idea but it is outside my field totally , for that it may be out side my reach , now ventilators is suddenly the new hype

what was the website of this open source ventilator project

Last edited:
Likes atyy
Here's where all the toilet paper is going...

• Love
Likes gmax137, hagopbul, nsaspook and 2 others
It is sunny, and I would love to sit on my back deck or in backyard and read, but ... I took this picture this afternoon. Our backyard tire-swing is still buried by snow that is on-the-level!

WIN_20200331_10_17_33_Pro.jpg

Likes hagopbul, atyy, DennisN and 1 other person
Yikes! Cross-country skiing time?

Likes hagopbul
berkeman said:
Yikes! Cross-country skiing time?

My daughter and I do like to go cross-country skiing occasionally, and there is a first-class facility (national-level)

https://www.caledonianordic.com/

about 11 kilometes (7 miles) from our house. This facility is open, and the trails are still being groomed, but, because of the virus, the rental shop is closed, and we don't do it enough to own our own gear.

Likes hagopbul
Weather is much more favorable down here in the Thompson-Nicola Valley!

Likes hagopbul
My sons (both physics majors) are home now, completing the rest of their semester online. It's a closer look than I've had before at their daily classwork and routines. Interesting stuff. One son is working as a tutor through his college which has moved their tutoring services online, enabling him to continue working. The other son continues his computational research remotely with his research adviser.

The research project continues in the basement, most recently creating underwater blast waves (ballistic waves really) by shooting a bb gun from Walmart into a 300 gallon stock tank.

We are maintaining household "quiet times" from 5 AM to noon and from 1 PM to 5 PM so everyone can get their work done. After dinner, my wife and I usually practice for a series of music videos. She's hoping to release a set before Passover. Since one of my sons is also a musician, it turns into more of a "jam session" some nights moving in a much different direction from my wife's music videos. Never really been a lead guitarist, but managed on solo recently for one of my wife's favorite songs. She thought it came out "too country" so I'm listening to more rock and trying to get back to my rock and roll roots while practicing the next one. My son's guitar is more suited for rock, so I'm borrowing his, since he's at home.

Fishing a bit too. Nothing quite like social distancing on the lake. Managing a few to bring home for dinner. Mountain biking almost every day also, but maintaining distance from others is easier on the roads than on the local trails, so I've found a road path with enough elevation changes to be interesting. Was planning to visit a nearby wildlife area today, but an unexpected family need popped up and needs attention.
Pressure vs. Time BW177 r=d=25mm.png

Last edited:
Likes hagopbul and berkeman
thinking of ph distribution in the atmosphere and could that be related to the pneumonia ?

Last edited:
watching food channels on youtube

Likes hagopbul and atyy
During quarantine it is important to continue with the protective measures: :smile:

Corona Washing.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Likes nsaspook, Auto-Didact, hagopbul and 3 others